llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idea for an NPC  (Read 1806 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
Idea for an NPC
« on: December 22, 2007, 11:58:39 PM »
This was actually inspired by a nightmare I had a few months ago, and so if it does sound a little ridiculous, you'll understand why.

Well,this is how it goes. Basically, a young, reckless crown prince or highly favored royal official decides to embark on a grand scheme to revolutionize his backward little island nation and make it a stronger country . However his schemes are so outlandish and  radical, that they anger the conservative clergy of the resident sea goddess to such an extent that they punish him by turning him into a great white shark. Forced into this dreadful form, he now wanders the ocean striving to find some power that can undo the curse upon him so that he can return to carry out his glorious schemes.

So absurd that it should be simply discarded? Or is there some promise here? Would greatly love to hear some helpful feed back.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
Re: Idea for an NPC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 03:27:41 AM »
That dumb,eh?  :(
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
Actually, I quite like it. The one stumbling block I see is that I'm not sure how the heroes could communicate with such a creature. Can it still form human words?
I imagine that the "prince" within the animal is slowly dying, his mind reverting to more and more primitive patterns that are more and more sharklike, which has the side-effect of driving him insane and making him obsessed with his goals
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:58:27 PM »
Well, I like the idea but as the captain implies it would be difficult to use in game. My immediate thought is to use it as a legend of sorts for the setting, which is how I use all cool ideas that are too unlikely to ever be used in a game.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
Could this be the legend of Sekolah at last revealed!?
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:22:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback,guys! It is much appreciated by this previously lonely post. Yeah, AG does make a good point. I'd like this NPC to be a convincing part of the local mythology, the fabled terror of the deeps that the heroes have been warned about by the local sea men. I guess another possible alternative could be that the beast has become the object of a minor cult of superstitious villagers that see it as some minor vengeful spirit of the sea to be appeased with homage and sacrifice.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:26:27 AM by Maggot »

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
Undersea civilizations might have plans for him as well, promising him their aid in restoring his humanity, but demanding services of equal value.  No friends to humanity, their expectations might be rather grim.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:14:40 AM »
Aha! Wulf has given me an excellent plot idea! I can only see to well how this tormented being would be too willing to serve the dark ends of some sinister aquatic culture that loathes humans. If I utilize this idea well, he could become a villain to be reckoned with indeed. Thank you!  :)

Authentic Strolenite®©