llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Press Guild, for want of a better term  (Read 783 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
A Press Guild, for want of a better term
« on: November 30, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »
When Queen Yocasta died and Queen Amber took her place, Amber allowed the printing presses to print more then just lists of laws and dull properganda-suddenly they could brint real news stories. Many criminals and members of the old regime did not like being investigated and attacked the journalists and so they were allowed to hire bodyguards to protect them and their presses. Whilst these bodyguards have done good things as well, there is a secret inner circle within them, that murders those who sue for libel (only under certain circumstances and not willy-nilly, and they are good at covering their tracks) and has been known to *create* stories. The PCs must investigate this.

Any idea how to make this work?

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: A Press Guild, for want of a better term
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »
Well, Cheka, you certainly do love to bring modern concepts into worlds of fantasy. :)

Let's see how to help you without turning this into an article about the impact of printing presses on a world at large... first, a few notes and initial thoughts:

- once the technology is out, it is very hard to keep it fully in check... many regimes have tried, though
 - investigative journalism seems to be jumping here out of nowhere
 - if someone is "investigated", why isn't he or she imprisoned? Seems like the courts don't work here all too well.
 - on the other hand, people can be sued for libel

So let me try to interpret this, and maybe I'll get anywhere close to your vision of your world:

There is a whole caste of members of the old regime, too powerful to be taken down by the Queen, and thus She has decided in her infinite wisdom to open up the newspaper business. Speaking out against corruption and decadence, in reality are the journalists expected to attack the old guard, and slowly discredit them. The crown does not outwardly protect them, but they get an indirect support (plus the courts will be a little biased if someone attempts to 'investigate' Her Majesty's servants).

So the Press Guild is far from an impartial reporter here.

Meanwhile, the many attacks could have made the bodyguards paranoid. Muggers they could deal with, even a determined assassin once in a while. But to go through all the trouble of a court, mostly without a definite outcome, that would mightily piss them off... so once in a while, they do some mugging themselves. Maybe one of the beatings didn't end well, they've gotten rid of the body, and noticed it worked.

You could play nicely with contrasts here - the seemingly crude guards, that are in fact illiterate, respect the 'journalists' for what they do, and have the smarts to quietly take down some of the targets. After all, they are all corrupt leeches that deserve it.

...well, does it go into the direction of what you want?
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: A Press Guild, for want of a better term
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »
Yes.  :D