Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

Random Plant Generator, aka RPG

(1/4) > >>

Scrasamax:
Idea: A Table or generator that presents at the push of a button a quick blurb describing a plant and a few possible uses.

Why? There is often a need for random plants in games, most often as herbal remedies, poisons or alchemical components and spell reagents.

What we will need:
Manfred, because he is good with this stuff
A table for spawning names, possibly a two column thingy that creates a compound name like Falhathian Tuberose or Arthian Dragonroot (setting + random noun + random plant part)

A table of generic plant information (leaf shape, climate, etc)

A table of plant usage (might have this be several tables that are picked by the generator as to what kind of plant part is chosen above)

A table of unique plant abilities (not all plants will have an entry in this section)
Healing agent
Poisonous Agent
alternate use (makes sleepy, makes hyper, etc)

thoughts, comments?

valadaar:
Heh, I might sign up to taking this one on - I've wanted to build a generator.

Dragonlordmax:
You'd need to make sure that the name fit the description and properties. Tuberose would be a great name for a flower, but a crummy one for a tree. Darkmind would work for a poison, but not for a food.

valadaar:
I would disagree - there are actually a lot of herbs whose names seem abit off. Some plants have fairly innocuous names that belie thier dangers, eg. Foxglove and Monkshood.  Both seem nice in name and appearance, but both are rather toxic. Deadly Nightshade is an example of a name that matches.

Some adjectives such as 'wort' have special meaning typically associated with healing, so those should be taken in mind, but one race's poison might be another race's cure, depending on the knowlege of the people. 
"That plant can't heal - its worth nothing but rat poison!"
 "Thats cause you never figured out the right dosage!"

Most really effective poisons and healing agents can exchange roles in the right situations.  Even arsenic (not an herb, of course) can have theraputic uses in some cases.

But in short, I'd consider 'smart' names a nice to have, not a requirement :)

Dragonlordmax:

--- Quote ---Some plants have fairly innocuous names that belie thier dangers, eg. Foxglove and Monkshood.
--- End quote ---

But they both look reasonably like what they're named, particularly Monkshood. Appearance needs to be considered in addition to properties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version