llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2021  (Read 5307 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Silithsel

• Apprentice
    • Fire Fight!
    • Awards
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »
((Is this an ok place to put non-fantasy setting ideas?))

Post Apocalyptic airsoft LARP setting.  So far, it's just the beginnings of an idea. 

In the year 2013, nano technology is implemented in manufacturing, making products that are cleaner, stronger, lighter, and often less expensive than with conventional manufacturing methods.   However, some sought to use this new technology as a weapon. 

2021: War.  (circumstances of this still to be determined, probably will involve a limited nuclear exchange)  Warheads launched at major cities in the United States.  These warheads were meant to cause damage, but their primary purpose was really to spread a specially made nano-bot nicknamed Grey Goo 13.  This Grey Goo bot was designed to attack circuitry, rendering electronic equipment useless. The nano-bot spread quickly, taking down communications, transportation, and modern weaponry.  A few areas that managed to learn what was going on in other areas of the country, attempted to quarantine themselves in an effort to keep the nano-bots out, with varying degrees of success.

I've still got a lot to work out, such as how long the bots "live", how they spread, effect ways to protect against them, etc.   But I would love to get some input on the general idea.

Fire Fight!  Live Action Airsoft Games!
http://firefight.ning.com/

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild
    • Awards
Re: 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 05:26:04 AM »
So this is something of an apocalyptic landscape? A few pockets of modern civilization separated from one another by vast swathes of hinterland inhabited by primitive groups of humans that live admist the wreckage of modern civilization? How has the bot infestation affected these people?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »
Questions:

Did the country/corp that launched the attack manage to successfully quarantine themselves?

Or was it the actions of a very well funded Luddite terrorist organization that caused the Grey Goo 13 to be launched at some (most {all?}) major cities/technological centers?

What part of the electronics do these bots attack?  Is it the gold circuitry (or whatever is standard in 2013, maybe some sort of superconducting carbon?) that they attacked, or the silicon, or do they just fry anything they touch with 5,000,000,000 amps of electricity?

Do the areas that had "varying degrees of success" quarantining themselves rule over the surrounding countryside as a sort of technocracy?

I can come up with more questions, but right now I'll stop.  It's a solid idea for a campaign to take place, and I'd like to see how you run with it.  Good luck.
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.