llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pantheon ideas  (Read 1610 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline katmaninva

• Nomad
    • Awards
Pantheon ideas
« on: October 12, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »
Hi All.
I've been toying with devising a pantheon for a Castles and Crusades campaign I want to run but have sort of hit a brick wall as it were.  I want to have a pantheon of some 21 or so greater gods, roughly some 3 per alignment.  I have three gods done to a degree, to of the chaotic evil type, and on of the lawfull good type.  Need some input please.  Thanks.

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Pantheon ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
Any cultural analogs? Are they similar to any real-world cultures?

I'd concentrate on those dieties which will advance your campaign, rather then create gods you won't use.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dragonlordmax

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »
I'd suggest beginning with those gods who will be important to the campaign. Then, define the important portfolios which will realistically need gods - agriculture, oceans, the sun, etc.

Then, take each of these portfolios, one at a time, and stick lots of related things as you can onto it. Don't use too many, but including several seemingly unrelated things can make your gods seem more interesting. For example, the Sun god can easily be given Fire, Hope, Change, Healing, Life, Valor, etc. Once you've picked the portfolio, it should at least somewhat define alignment and personality.
He who says little speaks two syllables.
-God of Thunder

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »
You might want to alternate between making dieties and myths.  Start by defining a major religion of your world.  The sort of religion it is will define its culture in many ways:  If you want a culture that resembles  Europe in the High Middle Ages, you would want a powerful monolithic church, which suggests a faith built around one god or tightly-knit group of gods. 

On the other hand, a culture that is less organized might have smaller, weaker sects that tend to reinforce the land's regional differences.  A good example of this would be the ancient Hellenic culture, where every city had its own patron god and priestly sect.

So, start with what you want, then consider what that implies.  Rough out a religion, then imagine what sorts of myths and legends might be found in such a religion.  it sounds like you want to have a mutiplicity of gods and faiths, which sounds like your land had several pantheons that merged as different cultures were absorbed:  The gods of one religion might be considered demonic to another faith.  Some would still worship them in their original form, while other sects might have adopted a darker view of the power they worship.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Online Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »
And many religions had overlap between the portfolios of their gods and what they stood for.  Example; Athena is the goddess of war, crafts, and crafty warfare; Hephaestus was the god's craftsman; and Ares the god of war, slaughter, and bloodlust.  Overlaping any?  Similarities to this can also be seen in most other religions with large pantheons, or even a large sampling of honored saints even.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station