llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Convergence (Chap IV)  (Read 52434 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Convergence (Chap IV)
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2008, 09:59:31 PM »
d**n, that was a good shot he thought, looking over his shoulder at Voro.  Aerex was behind him, warning him of the impending trouble. Unfortunately one of the eggs he was transporting was apparently broken, and the city guard was closing on the downed thief.
He looked up at Aerex, and pointing with his chin he motioned towards his satchel "Grab that for me and run it to the inn, I'll be there shortly."
I better make this quick!

He pushed his way quickly through the crowd and knelt close to the not badly wounded man.
"Shouldn't 'ave done that, friend...look at you now" he whispered into his ear as he pressed close.
Making it obvious to the crowd he was checking to see if the man was alive, he deftly pressed his fingers under and along the thief's belt while pressing his ear close to the man's face and waving frantically with the other hand.
"He's still alive" he bellowed, waving a few of the men in the crowd closer. He lifted the wounded man slowly, slipping his pouch into his armor.
"He needs help NOW if he is to live" he said while leaning the bald man on a few of the other men in the crowd.
He slid between a few people as the "goodly folks" took the weight from him.

He slipped behind the closest stall momentarily before rounding the market to reclaim his pack and cloak.
And off to the inn I go...

((OOC: pick pockets successful, as per chat. ))

A short time later...

He moved deliberately through the streets, weaving between passersby. His cloak closed tight, hood up, he kept his head low and grumbled to himself.
"Now how do I explain all of this?" He kicked a stone and watched it skitter across the ground. "This is a fine mess I've gotten myself into!" He trudged along, retracing his steps from earlier that morning.
"Now I have to tell them! And what am I going to do with that d**n egg now, eat it?" He continued on, going over the scene again in his mind.
"That bald bastard had one hell of a tattoo...I've never seen one so big before, or so many colors!" He halted, mid stride. "Could that be why he wanted the eggs? The dragon tattoo on his back?" He stood in the middle of the road, contemplating the thought.

Confused, a bit tense, and definitely in need of a strong drink he continued towards the inn. "I just hope Aerex grabbed my bag before he buggered off..."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:42:14 PM by the Wanderer »
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2008, 03:41:12 AM »
Talia was distracted.  The man she'd spoken to said that there weren't any gypsies serving on this ship, so that idea was no good.  Still, the name of the ship had to mean something.  "The Harbormaster..." she muttered to herself.  Well, one might assume that a ship owner would know his crew, at least in passing.  Maybe she was meant to go ask him.  It was possible that her father served on a different ship, or that he had once served on the one here.  The Harbormaster would probably be able to tell her one way or another.  The name of that ship meant something, that was certain.  She needed to find a way to talk to this man.  Aerex could probably help her figure out how.

She tensed as she heard the commotion behind her.  "Oh, gods..."  Vorodon was hard to miss, and she could tell he'd been involved in whatever had happened.  She groaned, then started back towards the others.  Time to find Aerex and grab Vorodon before things got even more out of hand.  Why, she wondered, was it more or less impossible for anyone she associated with to stay out of trouble?
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »
"That is the Halnoli I know and love - always direct and to the point!"
To laugh he had.
"And most often also right - my intentions are an open book for you."

First reaching out for a handshake, the knight hugged his old friend instead.
"Let go, fruit!" was the mage's answer, much expected, much cherished.

Looking for a place to sit, he set aside a stack of underware, and sat on a barrel with questionable contents.
"As for the two serious gentlemen behind me, they're Adan and Tristan, we met in the hills while moping the floor with some evildoers. Which brings me to the fact that said felons were noble enough to carry enchanted loot, yet not sufficiently high-minded to write instructions on their equipment for the likely case that somebody killed them. With none of our band of sufficient intellect to fathom their use, I had to think of you."

Halnoli waited, a questioning look in his face.

Playing the dunce for a second, Kyrian looked back at him in a similiar fashion, only to add: "As long as the favor you need dos not include filing off my right arm with a sharpened spoon, I will be more than happy to oblige. Tell me what you need."

Looking around, and seeing a half-eaten tuna meat pie, Kyrian pilfered one slice, and added: "Two more thoughts bother my mind - first is my task, looking for a lass young of sharp tongue, wizardly power and owl-occupied shoulder, red of hair and noble of descent. The second is imperative as well - does Kallna's down the street still hold the 'all you can eat' pasta buffet?"
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »
Though Adan stood stolid and stodgy, the very model of military discipline, throughout the other's conversation, he did incline his head once, as he was introduced to the magi, his eyes slipping this way and that to survey the room, before taking up the a 'guarding' position not very far from the door. Silent, perhaps, but obviously alive, and aware of his surroundings, rather than deep in his own pensive thoughts as he had been lately. Those decisions, after all, were made, and it was no longer time to brood upon them.

And, indeed, his eyebrow did rise once as the 'Dew Marked Rose' mentioned seeking a noblewoman, but that too, he let pass without immediate comment. I wish I wondered why he's hungry.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »
Usstro's Offers

Halnoli eyed the trio, then just Kyrian and said,

“Easy enough on the first. Leave the morsels here, come back in a day. I have scrolls with such spells as are needed,  aplenty. Of course you would have to pay–whoa–-a polearm? You could not bring me a wand? Ah, yes, two rings, much better. And a knife. How bland, despite the nice detail on the mermaid handle. Alright, this should not take long. Just long enough for you to accomplish what I need” Halnoli smiled at Kyrian, and winked at Adan, hoping to illicit a smile. None came, so Halnoli continued.

“As to your bothersome task, do you have anything that belongs or belonged to this fine, red-haired (he twirled his own red beard) , buxom, for no doubt she is buxom, (another wink, this time at Tristan) lass? If so, I can send it to Pjoula of the Pox. If not, we can use my latest acquisiton! A scrying ball of crystal, tourmeline I believe, though that would take more effort, and involve some risk.”

“As to Kallna’s pasta, there was no finer in the lands, though I’m afraid the place is  run by her more rigid and less talented daughter now. Kallna retired.”

“Now then, if you ask me if I can acquire invitations to the Split-Lipped Queen’s Ball I would say yes too. Now that is a fine place to take whichever lady finds herself haunted by your musky scent this time.”

Halnoli crossed his arms beneath his red beard, leaned back in his plushy armchair, and smiled, looking from visitor to visitor in turn.

“So, what can you do for Ol’ Halnoli you’re all asking yourselves now? Well, I need you to broker a peace”, Usstro turned suddenly serious. A peace between those d**ned Hellschwerts and those irascible Von Hellens. Never have two cousin lineages warred so incessantly among themselves. Some have taken notice, some in the Dew-Marked Rose” he eyed Kyrian suggestively, “–and to make a long story shorter, I was asked to look into it. And so I did. I traveled the five days, and broke bread with each in turn. I could do naught. In very fact, the two families are plotting sieges on each other’s castles as I speak, no doubt. What I want you to do, as a favor to me, is to try your hand at diplomacy on my behalf. On the behalf of your precious Dew-Marked Rose, if you will. See if you can do anything about this standoff. You knew that Von Hellen Duke well, that we all knew and loved. Well, he’s dead Kyrian. But you knew some others of his clan, did you not? Perhaps you can talk a cow out of moo-ing. And having two priests along, well, that wont make matter’s any worse. Before I let you-know-who in on the fact that I could do nothing, in regards to the “mission” she assigned me, I thought perhaps a Rose such as yourself could do whatever needs to be done, in my stead.”

“Naturally, I would then proceed to take the credit for your success, if you have it, and she will be pleased with Ol’ Hanoli. And you will have your magical items freely identified. Otherwise, you can take them to a hedge-hog (a euphemism for hedge-wizard) and he will charge you gold coins in the thousands.” The smile returned.

"In very fact, I would even go so far as to offer you the use of my scrying magicks to find your owl-loving gal, and identify the items you present me, in advance of your trip to the east and north. The word of a Rose is all i require to know you will follow through, if you agree to go."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:37:21 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »
As the wizard began to talk, Adan remained motionless through his banter, though his trained mind picked upon the high points and stored them away for later. And in truth, he'd planned to stand like a stone statue, still and silent. Until, at least, the nature of the task the wizard wanted began to fall from his lips. It was then that the blood began to drain from the Triguian soldier's face, his right hand drifting upwards to grasp the sigil that hung from his neck,  the glittering blade signet clearly visible upon the ring that he had reclaimed for himself from the Verbeeg.

Mein Gott, was haben sie gemachen! .... Rhys, gib mir seine Kraft, ich werde es gebracht!

And as they rose, Adan's eyes were filled with a fire, a light that few had seen there in many a day. "Do as you wish, Ritter. But I tell you this. No more of meinen Brüder will be gemordet! Keine!"  Disturbed enough to half-hiss this final word, to forget the tongue he was speaking in the middle of speaking it. A deep breath, a trembling hand slowly withdrawn from the tarnished symbol of Trigu, a man in control of himself once more.

"Tell me... Hanoli, if you know. How did the Duke meet his end?"

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »
Halnoli did not notice the ring at first, preoccupied with his own thoughts and witty banter, but then half-turned to Adan, while releasing some wind form his arse.

"Aye, thats the problem, warrior-priest. He was supposedly killed by a Hellschwert. Used poison during a tourney on the Duke. The Duke. Of course that wretched clan denies it, but the tragic irony is, they killed the only Von Hellen worth a d**n! Or so claim the Von Hellen's anyway. It is a sordid affair. A full blown feud will do no one good."

Halnoli calmed again and turned to rummage through countless silken scarves in a pile beside his armchair, to at last reveal a ball of pale, green-blue crystal, or glass perhaps, for all its purity.

Suddenly, wide-eyed, Halnoli Usstro turned back to look at Adan, who had just spoke in a tongue Halnoli knew well. He then noticed the signet ring.

"Well, oh. Hmm. What are the odds of that happening", he said slowly in measured tones, while gaping at Adan. It was Halnoli's turn to be still and silent.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:28:40 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »
Vorodon, Talia, Aerex, Mirinar (mini-thingy)

As the three companions entered the inn some time later, they saw Mirinar sucking down a goblet of Lutinzance Red. The mysterious man half-turned and nodded. Though his expression was unreadable, he seemed even more tightly wound as usual. Talia wondered what he would say, given the first chance to speak after that peculiar event at the docks, and Vorodon grinned, convinced he would be thanked for his quick thinking and great aim
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2008, 03:11:25 AM »
"Okay, don't tell me that one of them is a von Hellen, the other a Hellschwert, they just realized it, and they're standing right behind me?"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:13:12 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2008, 06:38:51 AM »
"My companion, so far as I know, is not one of the von Hellen scions. I, however, have known that I am descended from the Shining Swordswoman. It is not a new revelation." Adan's voice was low, and simple now, once more under total control. "Trickery and poison, that is Lyle's lot, but I see not why he would do this. Hungry though he may be, even he knows that destroying a fiefdom in order to inherit it is foolish. I fear..."

And that low voice trailed away, the man deep in some distant thought. "Trigu verdammen sie!"

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2008, 07:15:31 AM »
Rubbing his chin, the knight mused.
"While nobles claim to be the sole force fit to rule the land, I doubt that they were of sufficient wisdom to call mages or priests instantly, to determine the validity of the accusation of poisoning? As far as I know, the first spell Academy students learn is one to discern poison in its many guises, fo the protection of themselves and their future employers."

He smiled at Halnoli: "An there I thought simplicity lied ahead. Blame me for being a fool, but I sure will look into it - to Duke Lokknar I owe my spurs, thus it would be fitting to avenge his murder, if it was one, and to save his kin from war."

To Adan he turned then, speaking: "Off with your mask, kight. I believe you will not stand aside either while your kin are being accused - we must find the truth, and bring it to the light, to enable justice to reign, and life to prevail. To that end, tell us of your kin, your position amongst them, and where we might start."

Shaking his head, he added: "Pity about that pasta. Duke Lokknar might have loved it."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2008, 07:32:50 AM »
She was still wondering exactly what the hell had gone on in the docks district, but she put it aside for now.  Talia was still preoccupied with her own thoughts.  As they entered the inn, she turned to Aerex.  "How exactly does one seek an audience with the Harbormaster?  I'd like to ask him something."  She didn't much like the idea of making herself known to someone who was probably an important man of Jantir, and she didn't know if he'd even give her the time of day.  But that ship in the harbor with her name, that was too obvious to not try.  It would be stupid to ignore a sign that blatant.  Hopefully it would be a simple matter; her questions wouldn't take up more than a few minutes.  However, the previous encounters she had had with other "important men" made her think she should probably wait until she had recovered her fans from the smith who had agreed to sharpen them before going to see this Harbormaster.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2008, 07:58:19 AM »
Aerex shifted Mirinar's bag and thought.  "Harbormaster?  Well, I never worked much in Ssembra, but if he's anything like other Jantiri officials, he's probably hard to pin down.  We might need to grease the right palms and know the right people to get in."  He sighed.  "Why are we lookin' for him?  We sort of already have our hands full."  He threw a glance at Mirinar.  "That didn't seem like a random theft to me," Matare said measuredly, handing the bag to him.  He realized he never actually looked to see what was within.  "Whatever you've got, somebody wanted it bad.  You're not gonna bring down trouble on us, are you?  The last thing we need are bird-helms after us."  Normally, he'd be more patient with relative strangers, particularly ones that had previously saved his life.  The gravity of his father's mysterious debt and Thyran's cryptic warnings weighed heavily on the inspector, and he was in no mood to deal with added danger.

(OOC: Mr. GM, would Aerex know any major players in Dockside?  Someone who might owe a favor or two?)
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »
<ooc> In fact he does, Dozus.

Pororn Wesovi. Retired thieves guildmaster. Lives somewhere in the docks, keeps low profile, but is known in certain circles, as the only guildmaster of thieves to ever retire and live out his life peacefully, without repercussions. He once, many moons ago, ruled the Esteemed Brotherhood of Cargomasters (thieves) wih an iron fist.

Skanis Teg. A Kepharan mechant, who owns a few ships in the harbor. Aerex once sucessfully looked into a crime spree involving the man's warehouses, while he was a young city gaurd.

Zelilah Thuran. Mother of your childhood sweetheart, Fairis. According to what Thyran said, incidentally enough, she recently maried the Harbormaster. Zelilah always had a godo relationship with you. Sometimes even, a better one than she had with her own daughter, Fairis. She had always hoped you two would "click". </ooc>
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
He looked slowly over his shoulder again at Aerex, making sure eye contact was clearly established. “It was planned. The theft was calculated, but I would have thought that would be obvious” he said sharply, but with no malice in his voice. He was still a bit angry, even after the drinks. He lifted his cup again, drained it in a single gulp, and leaned his elbows on the bar.  “And you are as much a target as I was, or at least your pack is” he chuckled, turning slowly to face the three companions.
He looked at his satchel, then at Voro and Talia.
He found himself distracted, almost stunned, as the light from the window caught in Talia’s hair. He smiled slightly. She was actually quite a lovely woman.  A stray memory of Tander slid in from the shadows of his mind, superimposed over the face of the gypsy. Yes, quite lovely indeed…

He returned his gaze to Aerex. Now the hard part…
I assume you have deducted that I am not the man I appear to be, and in that I owe you all an explanation. So, if you will indulge me for a few moments….” He took a deep breath, steadied himself, and began, slowly and in a low voice…

My name is not Kasin Mirinar, it is Taran. Silverhand. The disguise was a necessary precaution, for your safety and mine.” He studied their faces for a moment before continuing. “I was delivering what is in that satchel. I believe you have something very similar in your pack, Aerex. It is, or rather was, two dragon eggs. The bald fishmonger was my contact here. He was to pay me well for them, I had no idea he was going to try to steal them. Thanks to Voro’s unerring accuracy with projectiles” he smiled looking at the ogrish fellow “this was avoided.

He glanced at Talia again. Truly I must be a fool to think….
He moved his gaze to the floor at his feet. “I was following you just before we crossed paths. It seems you carry an item that struck me curious. I was going to mention it, but….” His voice trailed off as he reached for the refilled cup. “Well, you understand.
He took a sip from the cup; hoping resolve might be found there somewhere. It wasn’t.

The man who robbed me, I suspect, is in some sort of cult. He had a huge dragon tattooed across most of his upper body. I don’t know if this information is valuable to you, but it is yours now.” He set the cup down on the bar again.
I can only offer my humblest apologies for my deception, and any skills I may have that can assist you…” He tried to manage a charming grin. “I’m not always neck deep in the mud dying…

He leaned back against the bar, watching the three closely for some sort of reaction.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2008, 04:00:40 PM »
"Trigu works in mysterious ways, brother. This very well could be the circumstance that leads to your redemption." he smiled at his fellow Triguian, and placed a hand on his shoulder, giving support where it was obviously needed. "I am sorry to hear of the passing of the Duke. I'm sure he was a good man. What then need we do to stop this feud? I've not much experience in this field, and I doubt my brother here is going to be entirely...cold-blooded about the affair." This last was directed to both Kyrian and the mage-acquaintance of the former.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
A sad, sorrowful shake of his head, as Adan once more reached to his medallion, scowling at the tarnish there. "The truth must out, brother, and all must see it. The guilty must be delivered to justice, and so much as it can be, the wrong set right. Blood may be shed, but the taste of vengeance must become as ash.  Then, and only then, are they like to lay down their blades. That is the way of things, be it right, or wrong, in the North."

A short pause, as the fire flashed within his eyes for a moment, a thought coming to his mind. "Even if they were not my kin, elf, I have sworn a vow unto my Lord and God, even as you have sworn unto this Order you serve. To bring justice in the name of preventing a slaughter of innocents would be a part of that vow. I have already paid the price of vengeance, and do not care to do so again. Though my blood be hot, my veins hath been tempered by my Lord. And you shall know the truth of who I am, but I would ask that we gather up all of our companions, before I speak it. We will need the talents and experience of the inspector, I expect. Though it be selfish, the tale is long and wearying to tell, and I would not tell it more than I must. For now, it shall suffice to know that I am Adan von Hellschwert, the youngest son of Nial von Hellschwert, Duke of Landeel. We begin with my twin, for it has been many months since I was banished from my father's lands, and she shall surely know more than I."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
Talia stared at him, for the moment shocked enough she almost forgot what she had come here to do.  "That's a... dragon... egg?"  That was the first thing that occured to her to ask.  She closed her eyes.  "Voro, what did you do with that thing you got from Yandry?  Please tell me you don't still have it."  She'd never seen a dragon, but she'd heard the stories.  The very last thing she wanted was an angry reptile coming to look for what belonged to it while she and her friends were in the same vicinity.  She wasn't worried about Loiha's newfound caravan, they'd have moved on soon after the adventurers had left.  She was getting a headache.  "Tell me, why is it that there are people foolish enough to mess with gigantic fire-breathing predators?"  Cults she could deal with, they were only men.  But dragons were different.  If legend was to be believed, they had some magic intrinsic to them, and she did not want to know if that legend was true.  She rubbed her temples, frowning.  "Everyone I associate with, none of them can keep out of trouble," she muttered.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
T, V, A, M

A figure listened to the companion's conversation, unseen amidst the innocuous and random patrons of the inn. Her eyes went from Mirinar to Talia to Vorodon to Aerex. After some time the figure rose and exited the inn. There were plans to be made, she thought. Preparations.

She would wait, until the man was alone.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:39:08 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
Aerex's disbelief quickly shifted to anger.  "You rotten bastard."  He stepped to the bar, placing his fist firmly down on it in front of Taran Silverhand.  The egg in his back - which he had nearly forgotten - seemed to weight three times as heavy as it did before.  "You used us.  We're nothing but your mules.  Do you know the kind of danger you've brought down on us?  We're talking about dragon eggs.  The owner of these things are gonna track them down eventually.  You knew what they were and you let us bring them to Jantir.  You put the whole city at risk!"  Aerex's voice began to rise, his face reddened.  "What the hell were you thinking?!  You wanted to make a buck, let these idiot travelers carry the burden while you profit?  Dynast's balls, you've got a rotten heart.  I shoulda left you to die in the mud like the worm you are."  Matare stepped back and tore the pack from his shoulders.  "Now what the hell are we supposed to do with this?  Can't just leave it here, can't break it-"  The thought of why he couldn't let himself break the egg only briefly crossed his mind. "-ain't gonna sell it to some sleaze so he can use it to burn down a village.  What do you suggest, Mr. Bright-idea?"
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2008, 11:37:47 AM »
K, A, T

Halnoli bent over his crystal ball, and shoo'd Kyrian away with his hand, as the knight breathed on the mage's neck, trying to get a look over Halnoli's shoulder.

"Stop that. It tickles. I need to concentrate." Halnoli chided and continued peering into the light-refracting tourmaline.

He had been at it for a half hour now, and finally beads of perspiration emerged on the half-elf's forehead.

After another few minutes of silence, he looked up.

"Your quarry is due north. Three days. Unless I'm mistaken, which is possible, but--" Halnoli rubbed his temples, tired form the crystal ball gazing exertion.

"Hmm, strange--the girl you seek is three days north" he repeated unsure of himself. "And she is, hmmm"

"Thats as much as i can guage", he announced. "Something is, uh, off--Well, at the very least she is not out of your way. For surely ye can travel north, before turning east toward Hellschwert lands."

"Will there be anything else, Sir Knight?" a feint smile finally returned to Halnoli's face, as he glanced up at Kyrian again, but he seemed troubled by something he saw in his crystal ball.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:50:43 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
You are a rather self-centered dolt, aren’t you? You have been carrying an egg the whole time, since before I found you! That’s how I found you!
Taran stood up straight. He was actually disturbed by Aerex’ reaction. He had done his best, even finding himself on the brink of death, for the benefit of this man yelling at him.

He glanced at Voro, hoping he would understand what he was about to say. He turned his gaze to Talia, an apologetic look in his eyes. There was something about her, something fragile behind the strength he saw. He hoped she would see the truth in his words…
Am I really the one at fault here?
He looked towards Aerex again, his eyes no longer apologetic but angry. “You carried the egg in your pack this far, not I! In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m a stranger here. But you, the local, did exactly what you scold me for! You carry the same cargo for what reason? If blame be cast, you are at fault as well. I’m sure I am not the only one who knows what’s in your pack….
He steadied his voice, lowering it. This man just doesn’t get it…
Anyone could have followed you. I simply came along for the ride and the company. I even risked my life, nearly DIED, to help you. I’m surprised at your gratitude.
He paused a moment, choosing his words carefully. “This was a job for me. Being poverty stricken isn’t my idea of a happy existence. Until we met, I was completely alone here, no friends, no family. I still have only the slightest idea where I am. How am I supposed to know about the depraved lunatics from your hometown?

Taran took a deep breath. He knew this looked bad for him.  “I have no idea what to do with the remaining eggs, but you seem to know more about the denizens of this place than I do, so how about explaining who the guy with the huge dragon tattoo was. He’s obviously a local…
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2008, 01:48:32 PM »
V,A,M,T

Brother Hagopin proved to be a mistake. She found this out too late. But this man, she was sure now, was a man of honor. She could not afford to be wrong. Soon, she would approach him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The inn was a’flutter with activity and talk that evening, as the companions continued their heated exchange.

–The Dynast of Jantir, Larnassa, the Split-Lipped Queen’s Grande Ball was to coincide with the last day of the four-day Symposium. A gathering for those not so ‘religiously’ inclined to celebrate the ‘secular’, a not so subtle jab on the Dynast’s behalf, to avert the attention of Jantir’s citizens, from the maddening (to her) religious convergence taking place. Invitations were hard to come by, and apparently greatly coveted.

-Jantir’s first ever Zoo, three years in planning and construction phase, was having its grande opening the very next day as well. Supposedly, countless beasts, known and unknown, creatures from the world’s four corners had been brought in over the last half-year and would finally all be put on display. Inn patrons buzzed with excitement. There was even talk, that a “dragon”, captured across the sea, would be presented for all to witness!

–Lately, along with the many religious scholars and zealots who gathered in Jantir for the four-day Symposium, a new breed of apocalypse prophets were present as well, infiltrating the zeitgeist of the populace. Prophecies and predictions of world-ending dooms were all the rage, and though certainly not a novel concept, it seemed that the current wave of the End-of-Days  proclaimers, were taking on a particularly morbid and powerful tone, and capturing the people’s imaginations.

–There was talk of dragons also. Though most cosmopolitan Jantirians thought of dragons as semi-mythical beasts, only found far away across the seas in impenetrable jungles, ancient texts, and abysmal caves of the world, lately rumors of dragon cults and the great, serpentine beasts themselves were surfacing.

–There was news from across the Empire. Trouble in far-off, mysterious Nimz, city of scholars, artificers, and clock-towers. An insurgence or an insurrection, or even a bold and brazen assault, no was sure, had apparently taken place. Word said that whatever the conflict seem to entail in that strange, isolated place, it would somehow probably come to Jantir soon as well. The problem with these rumors was, that no one yet had enough information to gauge what exactly had happened. At least no one in this inn.

-Closer to home, there was gossip of some great feud taking place, north, in the forested, swamp-land of the elder nobility. The estates of the ancient clans were abuzz with talk of the Hellschwerts and the Von Hellens. Trouble was brewing between the two old families.

-And from across the sea there was talk of deserts, and cities of glass, and great electrical storms, and ancient prophecies.

–The 97th Annual Regatta of Screaming Eagles, in honor of the Never-Ending-Empire’s commemoration and celebration of its own past and original expansion, (not the Kepharans favorite event, but revered as near sacred by the Southfolk, particularly the blue-blooded) was to begin in a week. A great sailing race circumnavigating the gigantic Bay of Screaming Eagles, starting in Ssembra’s docks, with the eventual winner, pulling into the cove of the Harbormaster’s Isle after a making a great circle, three hundred and sixty miles later, to be feted and honored by the gathered nobles.

Jantir was a busy place.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:59:51 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
Talia sighed, frustrated.  "Réduis vos voix," she snapped, for a moment slipping back into Romani.  Then, in a low voice, she continued.  "What's done is done, and there's very little point in throwing accusations around.  I could say that we didn't know what we carried, which we didn't, and I could say that I have a certain sympathy for Taran, which I do.  Arguing is not going to get us anywhere, and is only going to attract more attention than we already do.  If I thought it was even possible to do so without dying, I would suggest giving them back to the nest they were stolen from.  Seeing as how that isn't likely, we've got to think of something."

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2008, 04:12:09 AM »
'Well then, thank you Halnoli - we will see into the matter, and as soon as it is solved, dine and laugh, tell tales about it with sufficient zest and irreverence. But, if you are worried about anything besides having seen my charge bathing inside that voyeur ball, tell me now, for we are off to fetch our merry band, and use their adventurous spirit to cajole them into doing what is heroic and right."

The proximity of his charge-to be, the danger ahead and the opportunity for daring deeds already made his heart race.
'I bet there will be a siege' he thought 'and she will be locked in a tower... covered in wild roses....yes' he speculated further 'and a knight in black armor could fall by my sword'...
Indeed, there was adventure ahead. Challenge and glory.

<ooc>I guess it is already later in the day. So, before we depart, methinks that a dinner with Shallaya could be a distinct possibility.</ooc>