llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Convergence (Chap IV)  (Read 44470 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Convergence (Chap IV)
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
Vorodon ran into his companions an hour from camp. The half-ogre immediately noticed that Maegla was riding astride Kyrian's steed, holding on to the elf's lithe waist, as best she could. To his credit, Herald trotted gently, avoiding the treacherous rocks and rills of this hazardous, rain-drenched backcountry.

Not far after Kyrian came Talia and Aerex on foot. The companions were together again.

Vorodon kicked a melting shard of ice from his path, as he approached the foursome, and thought of Cottar's Bale again. Soon, the Snowmelt Festival would begin in earnest, he thought. Tobaggan races, hunts, and feasts would abound among the ogres of the hills. Spring was finally here.

Vorodon longed to see his kin-folk. He was thinking of what to say, when Maegla spoke first. Vorodon wasnt sure if she had "smelled" his approach, or was told of it by Kyrian.

"I blamed you at first Vorodon. My heart was torn. I took out my grief and anger at you. While you, have only sought to help me. I was foolish. Forgive me, kind warrior. If you will still have me, I would travel with you, to Little Bross' home. If you will still have me." she repeated again demurely, and looked up through unseeing eyes at the hulking Vorodon with tears welling in her eyes.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:44:34 PM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
Seeing the party approaching him, Vorodon wondered why they had all come so far from the gypsy camp, but he soon realized that they thought he had set out for the hills without them.  Flustered by the misunderstanding, he tried to explain, his rumbling voice garbling the common tongue even more than usual. "Vorodon no behand leaf friend Insector and friend Taliha!"  Realizing that he had made a hash of things, he continued, "Elf knight friend, too, and Vorodon fromiss care of nice Meagla!"

Pausing, with a somber look at the companions, he incomprehensibly concluded, "Vorodon no forgitt Giriganni!  Vorodon go for tall hill for to look lands above. Take nice lady Meagla for to Hill folk home, Cottar's Bale; find Bross family no far too."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:53:02 PM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »
"Let's make haste then - I suggest we deliver our barbarian-to-be, and then hurry on the wind's wings to Jantir - that is at least my path, and I would be honored to have you along."

The knight shook his head.

"As for you, good Vorodon, I also implore you to stop abducting gypsy boys, someone might ask  questions unpleasant and draw conclusions wrong. And please, decide a course of action for the egg, seeing as how bravely you took the sole responsibility of choosing its fate, please, choose one. It is most likely dead now, all spark of life lost to the cold outside the nest - an omelet is really the most dignified end Fortuna may still have in store for it."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:05:27 PM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 11:56:55 AM »
Aerex shot a dark glance at Kyrian.  "Don't jump to conclusions," he cautioned.  "Some eggs can be pretty durable."  He looked to Vorodon.  "Hey Voro, let me see that egg," he offered.  His only prior experience with eggs were eating them, but he hoped something could be discerned by examining the mobile womb.

(OOC: Aerex would like to attempt an examination of the egg to see if his ranger instincts can detect anything in particular)

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 12:10:52 PM »
"Jumping to conclusions was never my intent, though by accident it may come to pass." Kyrian laughed cheerfully. "I was just hungry."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »
<OOC> yay, I get to roll! A partial success. Aerex determines that the egg is serpentine and still umm, whats the word...alive/hatchable :)</OOC>

<OOC> GM post coming very soon, moving you far along toward the Ogre Hills. If you're ready that is</OOC>
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
Return of the Prodigal Son

The road to Cottar’s Bale was not a road at all, but a muddy, rock-strewn path meandering south, along the raging late-winter waters of the Brownflow river. Vorodon led the way, though often Aerex would scout ahead, usually lost in his own thoughts. Kyrian for his part was anxious and slightly on edge, while Talia walked quietly, and Maegla quieter still. Twice the companions camped for the night, and twice the nights passed without event. Few folks dwelled, much less traveled, in these parts, and fewer still approached the swollen Brownflow in late winter, a cantankerous body of water, known for its giant catfish, and flooding banks and mudslides.

On the third night, Vorodon managed to catch a giant catfish, wading up to his waist, waiting patiently, then finally lunging at something beneath the water. After a few moments, the half-ogre emerged, wrestling and grappling with a ten foot whiskered, oily fish, and having dragged it ashore, while berating the fish the entire time, he drove two darts simultaneously into the creature’s temples, butchered it with uncanny grace, chopped off the head for salting, spitted the body, and began roasting it, over the fire that Aerex had started.

The companions ate well that night. Later by the fire, Talia told stories of the gypsies, Aerex what he knew of Jantir, Kyrian spun fascinating tales of the faraway elven kingdoms, and Blind Maegla sang a melancholy threnody to her lost love, Bross.

The next morning the group traveled on, and as Vorodon spoke of his home, and what the companions might expect to find there, the first signs of Cottar’s Bale came into view. The hills rose higher here, the river narrowed, and finally Vorodon pointed and smiled a toothy grin.

“My home” the giant exclaimed almost lovingly, and the companions began to climb a particulary intimidating hillock.

The first inhabitants the companions spied, were actually human, but a rough-looking bunch, carting slain deers on long poles, and singing with unabashed glee. Talia noticed the heavy tattoo work on their exposed arms, while Aerex detected a particularly pungent smell of body odor.

One of the men noticed Vorodon and grinned. After all, it had not been all that long, since the young half-ogre had left his birth village to wander the world.

The two spoke for a while, then Vorodon clapped the burly human on his shoulder, and the man’s grin spread even wider. It was somewhat peculiar to the others, to watch a human converse so eloquently in the Ogrish tongue, but expected, as Vorodon often spoke of the “copperashun” between the humans and ogres of Cottar’s Bale.

As the hunters moved on, Vorodon paused to speak with his comrades.

Apparently, Gorye, Vorodon’s father, was in a bad way, wasting away, and not of sound mind (at this, Kyrian suppressed a grin of his own...never having encountered an ogre of sound mind, regardless of age.) Furthermore, a new ogre was chief now, Gorodjur, a competent Volgotoi, who had several wives, and the respect of the villagers.

Snowmelt, the most anticipated annual festival in Cottar’s Bale was under way, as Vorodon went on to explain, and yet there was some trouble brewing as well. Trouble Vorodon wouldnt elaborate on, instead mumbling a word that sounded like “Veirgbrig” and spitting on the ground.

The companions moved on then, and soon Cottar’s Bale proper came into view, a bucolic hamlet of long, log homes and stone cottages. A village like any other, except for the hefty behemoths, that intermingled with the human inhabitants. A peaceful place to be sure, and not what the companions expected, truth be told, despite Vorodon's many stories.

Vorodon headed straight for the Great Lodge, and though the group drew some stares, for the most part men and ogre alike shouted greetings and waved at the advancing Volgotoi. Leather workers, armorers, brewers, and cattlemen greeted Vorodon, exchanging pleasantries, and asking the warrior, which of  the woman, Talia or Maegla, was the Great Elder’s son’s new wife.

<OOC> More coming soon, but feel free to post! In Cottar's Bale, you're in good hands with Vorodon</OOC>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:57:05 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
The Great Lodge, was the euphemistic name which the inhabitants of Cottar's Bale used for the Chieftain's house, an actual ancient hunting lodge of stone and petrified logs, built hundreds of years ago by whichever people dwelled in this area, before the coming of the Volgotoi, and the founding of Cottar's Bale.

It was the home of Gorye, the birthplace of Vorodon, and now served as the home and court of Gorodjur.

The odors inside the Great Lodge were awful to the unacustomed nose, the poor ventilation seemingly collecting and pooling the smoke and other unmentionable aromas, leaving the place in a misty miasma of pungent smells.

Gorodjur was seated in the back of the Great Hall, in a makeshift steam room, constructed of smooth river stone. Four women, two Volgotoi, and two humans, were catering to the loin-cloth clad chief, drenching him with cold water, than stoking the oven coals, releasing hot vapors, which filled the room with thick, barely breathable steam.

Vorodon stood and waited, perspiring profusely, as his eyes tried to adjust to the "hot fog".

Gorodjur finally looked up and spoke, while simultaneously shooing away the handmaidens, his wives really, out of the makeshift sauna.

"Welcome home, Son of Gorye. It has been how long? Have you come to celebrate Snowmelt with your kin?"

"Your father is near his death", Gorodjur continued, matter of factly, and without malice. "You should go see him. He calls for you in his fevered dreams from time to time."

"Will you stay? I have heard you bring two beautiful human women, with you, and one with child. This is good. Cottar's Bale needs more warm wombs."

"Tell me of your travels, Son of Gorye, and I will tell you of a thorn in my foot, a thorn perhaps you could remove." Gorodjur concluded cryptically.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:10:32 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 05:31:19 PM »
Within the steam-filled chamber of the chieftain, the stench of the outer hall seemed muted, its scents of burnt flash and unwashed Volgottoi lost amid the humid vapor.  Vorodon wasn’t sure where to start, as he recounted the tale of his adventures.  The Hill-Pidgin words seemed awkward to him after all the time he had spent in the human-held lands.

“I have spent too long in the Lands of Betrayal, Chieftain.  The ways of those foreign folk, their deceits and treacheries, they are too strange and different to explain fully.  Within the "civilized" lands men spin lies and think nothing of it.  Even I… even I…”

“Go on, Child of Gorye,”  the chieftain continued.

“Even I found myself shaping falsehoods, seeking victory with words instead of blades,”  the warrior admitted shamefully. 

“Truly, the Land of Betrayal is well named.  There, a warrior may even betray himself,” the leader offered sagely, waving his drinking horn at one of the women for a refill.

Vorodon continued at length, describing his misadventures in the Ducal Guard, his friendship with Bross, and his friendship with the “Insector” Areax Matare. 

“Aerax has become Girrigan, a friend closer than a brother.  The light-haired woman is his:  Talia, a gypsy girl who fights like a warrior, but doesn’t lie very well.  I don’t know if she can cook. 

“The other woman is Maegla.  She was the woman of Bross, but he was killed by a stone giant in the lands of the north.  I have taken her to find kinsmen of Bross’, that his child might have a home.  I have seen the giant slain, along with its master, and I then claimed the liar that had sent Bross to his death.  Their blood has been tamed and their flesh cooked.”

The chief smiled at that.  “You are good to your friends, Son of Gorye.”

Vorodon paused to drink deeply of the strong liquor favored by the Hill folk, then resumed.  “I am troubled, though, by an egg that we have been given.  It is a thing of ill omen, I woud swear.  A child of the Gypsies found it, and I took it from him, for it is not a thing that can be claimed by men.  Unlike anything I have seen before, it is still quick, despite the chill.”

The corpulent ogre looked concerned at Vorodon’s revelation.  “I will speak of such things later.  We have a problem of more immediate importance: These visitors, the Verbeeg.  They have claimed hospitality, and do not violate the laws of our people, yet I sense their smiles are false, and they do much that they will not speak freely of.  They are creatures of foreign ways, and I do not trust them, yet I have not found cause to act against them.

“I believe that they have waylaid travelers, and slain those they could.  Even now they have gone off, doing things of which they will not speak.  Their leader, Brown Borgradoc, persuades with sweet words, yet there is something about him…” he trailed off.

“Like the people of the Lands of Betrayal,” Vorodon reflected.

“Perhaps," said the chieftain, contemplating the young warrior's interjection.   "He is the most charming, clever, and friendly creature I have ever heard of, yet something feels wrong.  It is as if some magic touches those around him.  Even the humans like him:  One of my women looks angry whenever I speak ill of him.  I fear that his corruption touches even those within my house.”

“When I traveled in the lands of the humans, I encountered a man of that sort.  An evil wizard, he bound me with his magic, making me believe that he was a friend.  Only the intervention of my true allies saved me from his evil.  Perhaps this Borgradoc is another such,” Vorodon opined.

“I am troubled by this.  Son of Gorye, you have learned much of the deceptions of other lands.  I would like you to discover what this Verbeeg’s true schemes are.  He will not know you, so he will not be prepared for you.  Find if they have lied to the people of Cottar’s Bale, then, if they have…”

“Yes?” Vorodon asked expectantly.

“I like my meat with a great deal of pepper.”
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:10:03 AM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »
Talia was pleasantly surprised by Cotter's Bale.  Some people stared a little, but they seemed happy to see Voro.  She didn't completely understand the pidgin they spoke in, only about half of it.  It was all right, they looked friendly enough.  She noticed some giving her and Maegla curious looks, although she didn't quite understand why.  She shrugged mentally, content to wait until Voro returned from speaking with the village leader.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 03:52:59 AM »
"Ah, lady Maegla - this is the end of the ride. I hope you had all the comfort you could wish for, and will recommend me should one of your lady friends wish to ride someday."

He leapt off the horse, and gave Maegla a hand to help her descend.

"Truly, this is a quaint and rural place, but the summits, there..." he slightly nudged Maegla to face a gap between two rocky peaks and feel the warmth, "...catch the sun just right, setting them ablaze with a warm glow. I also see a few meadows with trees that should provide welcome shadow in the summer's heat - just right for a lunch in pleasant company. As for the man-made part - when you have time abundant, I strongly recommend that you go and feel the carvings on the hillfolk's residences. Very pastoral and... genuine. But until then, be seated on this log here. I shall guard you a while longer."

To Herald he gave his basket of oats, and rubbed his cheek against his long equine face. Then, the knight stood beside his short-term charge, well aside from the commotion, and tossed pebbles at the nearby stream.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:48:46 PM by EchoMirage »

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »
Vorodon strode forth from the High One's hall, scanning the village for his allies.  If they were going to face Verbeeg, he wanted to act at once, before the cunning creatures discovered his allies' strengths and weaknesses.   In his pouch, a pound of the chieftain's finely-ground salt lay sequestered, well-known as a defense against enchantments.  Beneath it, Vorodon had placed a few ounces of the imported pepper favored by the massive leader.

Perhaps the Verbeeg were as upright as they claimed.
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 05:38:43 PM »
Talia spotted Voro as he came out of the large building, and let the others know he was done talking.  Then she went over to him.  "So, what next..."  She trailed off; he looked awfully determined.  "What's wrong?"  In some ways, near as she could tell, he wasn't much different from the gypsy folk.  And when gypsies got to looking like that, something was about to happen.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
"Vorodon tell for in few time," the goliath rumbled softly.  "Need all come, for to find Elf Warrior, check thing need for to look.  No to worry."

Talia looked puzzled at Vorodon's cryptic announcement.  It was not the first time his garbled Common Speech had caused confusion, but he did not want to explain more fully in front of the villagers.

"Talia and Insector, please with to come.  Vorodon tell all one with gather."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:26:39 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 02:05:08 PM »
Aerex raised an eyebrow.  "Sure, let's go," Aerex murmured.  He shot an inquisitive glance at Talia.  It didn't take knowledge of Volgottoi linguistic norms to know that something was up with Vorodon.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 06:36:18 PM »
Seeing the others depart, Kyrian rose and led Maegla to one of the village women. "Please, take care of her, for precious she is, most of all to young Vorodon - you Maegla, please be patient, but I think there are matters I have to attend to."

Towards the band he strode, and asked, plain and direct: "Something is in the air. Praytell its nature, cause and the goal to reach."

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »
Quick Farewell

Maegla thanked Kyrian profusely, and even gave Herald a kiss on his wet nose. She was about to say more, but then smelled Vorodon coming, and turned her milky-white eyes in his direction.

“The honorable Kyrian has shown me what my eyes cannot see” she spoke softly to the irritated half-ogre. “ I wish to thank you Vorodon..for everything.” she reached up and savagely hugged the Volgottor, kissed him on the cheek, then turned to do the same to the elven knight. “Little Bross will love it too, she cooed, caressing her ample belly.”

“I-I sense something is amiss.” she suddenly said, cocking her head like a bird. Go, do not let me keep you, dear Vorodon. I shall find my way. I shall find my way here in Cottar’s Bale” she concluded.

Sometime Later

Aerex and Vorodon were cresting mud-drenched hills, in search of tracks. Many times over Vorodon explained the need for haste, and many times over explained who the “Veirgbrik” were.

While giants and ogres were iconic in the lands of the Empire and beyond, Verbeeg were not. Behemoths they were called, when referred to, for unlike giants and ogres, they looked more human, and could pass for human, if it were not for their great height.

Possessing an almost obscene sense of superiority over their “cousins”, said giants and ogres, and having a reputation for deceitfulness and treachery, this last trait did not endear the Verbeeg to the Volgotoi. The Verbeeg were a race unloved, and from this stemmed Voro’s consternation. Why would the folk of Cottar’s Bale even allow the Verbeeg to dwell among them in the first place.

Vorodon told the companions of Gorodjur’s worries, and of Brown Borgradoc,  and of his fearsome fivesome. He told them that no doubt, vile magic was somehow involved, and hammered the point home, by shaking his pouch of salt again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kyrian hated the terrain. The late winter mud served only to make his mail filthy, and Herald brown-legged and unhappy. As the companions made their way south in nearly breakneck speed, Kyrian walked his mount more often than he rode.

Talia kept pace, tireless, determined, and detached, as always, her beauty not the least marred by the streaks of dirt and mud splashed across her stark mane and face.

For six hours they traveled, and for the past three it was raining. Tiny painful drops at first, then bulbous ones, then downpour. The Rainlands were aptly named. Tracking was useless now, but the companions were lucky, for Vorodon had run into a trapper, who told the Child of Gorye, that he had seen Brown Borgradoc and his kin, training their black eagles and climbing down the Ethddos Gorge, only a day earlier.

The companions travelled on.

They were descending a massive hillock, at a thirty-five degree angle when disaster struck.

The hill began to give way, the soft, drenched earth unable to absorb so much running water.

Herald reared, startled, by the sudden rush of water beneath his hooves. Aerex sensed it too, and Kyrian as well, Vorodon and Talia slightly more surprised.

Flowing mud and gravity took over and suddenly it was everyone for themselves.

Herald had the most trouble, but Kyrian  was so far, managing to hang on to the horse’s bridle, as he himself slid.

Vorodon was concerned. He had careened down hills before, caught up in mudslides, and would not be overly concerned if it had been just him now. He would drop, roll, and go rumbling down the hill, accepting of his lumps and bruises. But his concern for his companions was great. Already Talia and Aerex began to slide, even as they attempted to keep their balance, and as everything turned to brown.

The rain kept coming. The Rainlands were aptly named.

<OOC> One free action for each of you, before many unpleasant rolls, such as Dex, Str, Luck, Dodge, etc commence</OOC>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:30:46 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »
Talia twisted as she slid, looking for a tree or a bush or anything she could grab hold of to stop her descent.  If she failed to find one, at least she could try to minimize the damage.  All the while, she was screaming in her head for the ancestors to not let the mountain fall on her.

((Spot check for securly rooted vegetation.  Also, if she gets buried, it will be ugly.))

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »
A short stream of Jantiri curses and swears leapt to Aerex's lips.  As their footing began to disappear, he first thought of Talia.  But there was little he could do for her in this case, he decided, at least if his own head was under the mud.  He struggled to make sure that didn't happen.

((Attempt to surf/slide on the surface of the mudslide))

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2007, 05:03:59 AM »
Oh heavens. 'Perhaps I should have let Herald stay at the village' ran across Kyrian's mind, only to be followed by 'but you never know when ogres get hungry'.

As swiftly as he could, he tried to get himself and his trusty steed to the side of the mudslide to stable ground and safety, or behind a firmly rooted boulder.
The elven way had merit - had the hills not been deforested, the ground would be stable and travellers safe. While Kyrian was a city dweller, the maxim 'plant a tree if you fell a tree' made complete sense to him - sadly, it was now late to explain it to those who cut the hills bare.

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
As he felt the land around him shift and run into ruin, the Volgottir warrior reached out, grasping Aerax's arm.  With a mighty heave, he brought his diminutive ally clear of the flowing river of stone and soil, hurling him toward the sheltering, solid roots of an ancient, lightning-scorched stump.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:15:33 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:59 AM »
<OOC> Rolling involved, naturally</OOC>

Aerex felt himself sinking one second, as he attempted to surf the sepia waves of dirt, mud, and rocks, then suddenly felt weightless the next second, and then felt himself heaved and in turn hurled, like a burlap sack of onions across the foul-smelling flow of the brown avalanche. He felt a jolt against his shoulder, but avoided serious injury, as he grabbed on to a desiccated but stubborn stump, leaning defiantly against the onrushing torrent. Aerex hung on, spitting dirt and water from his mouth and wiping it from his eyes. The ranger’s hat had not made it however, disappearing into the speeding muck..

Vorodon had little time to appreciate his successful toss of good-friend Aerex. Other friends were in mortal danger still. Sloshing and pulling himself with all his strength across the merciless current, now knee-deep in filth, and nearly toppling, the half-ogre struggled to reach  the Bladedancer. He spotted Talia, nimbly avoiding a flying, fist-sized stone. Just then the gypsy slipped again, and disappeared suddenly beneath the running mud, much to Vorodon’s horror. The avalanche had taken its first victim into its brown embrace.

Vorodon shouted, and was now nearly half-swimming, half walking dirt spewing from his nostrils, nearing the spot where Talia had gone down.

Blackness seeped into the warrior’s eyes. A warm wet, sensation, warmer than the cold, rushing mud around him, at his temple. His skull ached...and he fell. Swept up and carried along with detritus. Vorodon’s mind slightly cleared as he sped down the hillock. There was little he could do for the others now. A wedged, snapped, cedar-branch, dug greedily into the half-ogre’s belly, as he gained speed, pummeled by rocks. He roared in pain, this time, but still did not fear for his own life. The hillock was not a mountain and soon the flow would pool into the ground at the base of the hillside. He needed to avoid any more direct hits to his head however, Voro found time to think, losing consciousness in these circumstances would prove fatal.

Terror danced in Herald’s eyes, as rider and mount slid on heels and hoofs down the suddenly perilous hillock. Kyrian hung on to the bridle, but now sunk to his backside, riding the flow. Herald’s legs were in precarious angles, it was a testament to his breed and quality, that the horse did not break or snap any limbs, as stones pebbles, and branches pelted its sides. Neighing almost above the surrounding susurrus, Herald slid suddenly ahead of Kyrian, the horse’s weight pulling it faster along than it pulled the erstwhile rider.

Kyrian grunted as the he himself avoided the cascading rubble all around. Guiding himself and Herald as best he could, his armored body ached, as he gasped for breath.

Slam! Herald made an awful noise, his body hitting a split, but smooth and stranding boulder nearly eight feet high and twice across. Kyrian slammed into Herald, and grabbed onto the horse’s flank, hanging on, as their descent finally ceased. The avalanche was now all around them, but they were tethered. Miraculously, Herald was still alive and well, though panicked and wounded. Kyrian looked up through the brown haze briefly, but managed to notice both Talia sinking, Vorodon plummeting, and Aerex hanging by a literal branch above the rest, safe for the moment. Kyrian contemplated his own predicament. He looked back up the hillock then insticntively and noticed that the mud was now beginning to slow, the rain likewise, lessening, the balance between earth and water slowly restoring. He hoped then, that the end of the mudslide was not too late in coming for the others, for Kyrian had seen something he had not seen before. The gypsy’s eyes, as she sank, showed utter fear.   

Talia sank beneath the brown sea, her face, neck, and arms, scratched and chafed by abrasive debris, her mind reeling, her limbs suddenly gripped by paralysis. She screamed silently as mud filled her throat.

<OOC> Vorodon goes all the way down and takes 19 points of damage from various sources. Aerex, half-ogre be blessed, is alive and well. 5 points of general damage. Kyrian likewise is ok, though he takes 12 points, and Herald has lost half of his hitpoints. You two are perilously, but safely ensconced, as is Aerex. Talia hit a deep spot, and sank fast, bad luck. Damage 15 hit points. Eventually Vorodon and Talia will hit bottom but be buried in huge mounds of moist earth. (More rolling) Vorodon will manage to emerge quickly, while Talia does not, buried beneath nine feet of mud (for the moment). </OOC>

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:36:41 AM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2007, 05:50:16 AM »
Aerex uselessly wiped his face against his mud-covered shoulder, only smearing about the mud on his eyes.  Finally he took to shaking his head like a dog, flinging bits of mud outwards.  He looked behind him, still clinging to the stump.  "Everyone alright?!" he shouted desparately.  There was Kyrian, hanging dangerously by his wounded horse, and there Vorodon crawling up out of the muck, an unsightly gash visible on his head beneath the filth...  But where...

No.  "Talia?!" Aerex shouted.  His eyes searched and darted, yielding only mud and debris.  "Talia?!"  A lump began to form in his throat.  After all they'd been through, and she is swept away by some wet dirt?  It was unacceptable.  Ignoring his missing favorite hat, Aerex took a breath and leapt from his stump to where he had last seen the gypsy.  She would be found, come hell or high muck.

(OOC: Attempting to search for Talia and try to pull her to safety.  This'll be my last post til Sunday, so... Good luck! :P)

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »
The only coherent thought going through Talia's mind was a continuous and jumbled stream of half prayer, half begging, inwardly screaming for every ancestor she could remember.  This was bad, this was so much worse than when she'd fallen into that hole a couple weeks ago.  She couldn't see, she couldn't hear much, and she could hardly move.  She couldn't breathe.  The mud pushed on her, driving her deeper, pressing on her chest, surrounding her. 

GRANPAPA!  ILLOS!  MAMA!

Her arm hurt, but she didn't know why or even really register it.  All she was conscious of was the overwhelming need to GET OUT and the feeling of being crushed.  It brought back all the fear and panic of that awful day years ago when she'd gotten pinned under the wagon.  But she wouldn't go quietly, even if she was mostly out of her mind with panic.  She'd fought then and she fought now, instinctively clawing at the mud trying to force her way out.

HELP ME!!!!

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2007, 02:56:34 AM »
Talia's cries might have been unheard, but not unfelt - a wave of utter panic wafted over to Kyrian, his senses heightened in the absence of any other charge of his.

Still badly hurt, wondering how rocks could hurt so much even through rigid armor with padding undearneath, he unfastened his lance from the saddle. Why do people make warhammers and bodkin arrows to defeat armor when a rock does the same job respectably enough?
Stirrup in one hand, lance in the other, he thrust towards the place where Talia had disappeared, praying both that he would not hit her, pleading the silver lady that the warrior might be near enough to grasp this pitiful straw.