llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dragon muck  (Read 4070 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« on: May 28, 2003, 06:49:31 AM »
Any self-respecting dragon would not want to have faeces cluttering up his lair, so where do they go?

1. Do they have manure-heaps in the valleys near to their cave?
2. Do they excrete in flight and leave streaks of dragon-muck across swathes of deserted moorland?

I'm just interested if anyone knows.

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 04:21:48 PM »
Here's an idea!

They convert their waste into their breath weapons!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 06:02:29 PM »
possible. I think they spread it in mid flight. This is why many grounds that require no care are always fertile!
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 07:25:08 PM »
But what if they happened to go on a cart?
Ker_Plat! totally ick  :o
Trees!!!
A tree fell in the forest. A man didn't hear it. He is now dead.

"Dont talk to it, Merry! Don't encourage it!"

"Don't touch it! You don't know what it is!"

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 08:38:49 PM »
they are probably vsin and wont do it if any humans are anywhere near!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Intelligent ones...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 04:38:18 AM »
They probably sell it to people for fertilizer.

Other than that, they probably do what every cave dweller does, bury it outside.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 11:57:39 AM »
a dragon thats intelligent would know better than to deal with humans. They tend to be panicky.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 04:59:55 PM »
Whadya talkin about?

All dragons are "that intelligent".
They just don't want to deal with stupid, weak mortals!

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 05:54:54 PM »
yes, we would rather kill a dragon than bargain with it!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 07:09:16 PM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
Here's an idea!

They convert their waste into their breath weapons!

While initially all I could think of was them eating it...but perhaps any waste they have from their food is internally turned into fuel for the breath weapon. They would HAVE to breathe their weapon periodically to purge the building up 'waste.'

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 09:25:40 PM »
thats possible! Actually a good idea!

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 10:56:12 PM »
Wouldn't their muck be dependent on their diet? Considering the numbers of brave knights and gentle damsels an average dragon is reputed to eat, wouldn't a dragon cave be littered with steel ignots and wads of silk? :twisted:
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 04:58:28 PM »
no, they eat people whole, cloathing and all!

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2003, 02:19:05 AM »
Of course they eat them whole, the large lump of steel that is an ignot would be what comes out the other end...

Hmmm. Could the digestive process make the steel into a new alloy with great properties for weaponsmiths? But how would they get ahold of it? Put a notice up and watch all the adventurers say "You want me to fill a wheel barrow with WHAT?"
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2003, 11:23:43 AM »
no, with the fire in the dragins belly, the steel would be melted down along with the rest of the body.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 09:58:31 PM »
:twisted:  That might prove to be an interesting origin for adamantium or mithril ore...
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 10:06:30 PM »
thats possible, when the ancient dragons died, they were buried under many layers fo earth, As things tend to happen, and are now being dug up for their "waste"!!!!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2003, 05:12:24 AM »
I am glad at least somewhere the debate keeps the noble standards we try to uphold. :wink:

Of Wyrmic Excrements

It is a long and heated debate between sages and experts on the dragonkind about the details of a dragon's digestive system. While in some cases one may do the research through asking or simply peeking, the dragons are well-known for their need of privacy. Unfortunately, the other thing well-known about them is that any would-be researcher is likely to meet that digestive system in persona. Until we find a safer way, we can only create new and new theories... here come some.

OK, what do we know about dragons:
- dragons are large and powerful winged reptilias
- most dragons are very intelligent and have sharp senses
- dragons easily survive on a diet of knights and damsels, obviously flesh-eaters
- on the other hand, they are reported to sleep for hundreds of years, not needing to eat
- dragons seem to have a need of hoarding valuable items
- dragons usually look down upon humans
- they also have a dangerous breath weapon, usually of the fiery kind
- dragons are said to be magic-knowing, and may be magical creatures themselves

So, what can we deduce from this?

Beings that eat, must naturally defecate in some sense. Certainly not all food cannot be used for growth, movement, or whatever. Advanced life-forms often find uses even for some parts of the undigestible substances. Hair and nails are only one example. Still, if something goes IN, something always must go OUT, so stuff can get in again.

A great breath-weapon? If it is dependant on food, the dragon must eat to use it, and must use it to defecate. Would a starving dragon be unable to breath fire? Could it be possible, that this kind of digestion makes all dragons as aggressive as they are portrayed? I personally think The Breath (tm) is more tied to the dragon's magical nature, though I may be wrong. Sleep 500 years with a full bladder? Hmmmm....

On the other hand, a truly magical creature could convert foodstuff into fire.

If we agree on the existence of truly material excrements, we can ask the most obvious question: Where does it go?

The heroes, magically silenced, advanced into the main hall. There, amidst ****less heaps of gold and treasures, lays the sleeping dragon. One nod is enough, and the Maxi-Magical-Ballista (tm) is aimed and shoots...

A great explosion thunders and the dragon's body swiftly vanishes, being only an illusion.
???!? :shock: The heroes are horrified. Another booming sound is heard, this time like the rushing of thousand rivers. A massive gate they somehow overlooked opens (marked with a strange golden double-zero symbol), and the dragon sitting on the toilet screams furiosly:
"What are you doing there?!"

It could be even this way.

Dragons flying around and relieving themselves... sounds unprobable, but may be true. I think it was in The Hobbit or somewhere: "...a dragon can sleep very long, and when he wakes up, on the once bleak foothills grow mighty oaks hundreds of years old." But how could these begin to grow on bleak foothills, eh? Maybe a bit of 'fertiliser' was added after eating all those fat dwarwes?

Dragons trading with humans? Much depends on the true reasons why dragons hoard wealth. As Groth Dragonslayer claimed: "They only do it to to irritate us!"  (tragically deceased at first attempted dragon-slaying). Should this be true, dragons would gladly sell their excrements to humans, with a VERY bride smile.

Some sages speculate dragons value the treasure not only for its value, but also for the challenge its former owners were. Capturing damsels to lure great heroes would make much more sense this way! So a hoard is not only a hoard, it is an ego-booster, and may mean prestige in the dragon community (speculating here). Therefore, trading to gain wealth would be very degrading for dragons. Unless it is a weak and desperate dragon, perhaps.

...and as for bad relations with humans, middlemen or middlecreatures can always be found.

One final thought: what if the dragon 'marks' all his items? Dragons are said to be able of always finding their treasure. Maybe they can smell it? Think about it, before you bathe in that heap of gold! Even if you killed this one, other dragons exist...
"Dragons want their items back." is the saying.

(To Eph: "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allen Poe

Ahem... of what exactly do YOU dream? Dragons - OK. Dragons that fly - good. Dragons that fly and.... :what: )
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2003, 01:14:17 PM »
One final thought: what if the dragon 'marks' all his items? Dragons are said to be able of always finding their treasure. Maybe they can smell it? Think about it, before you bathe in that heap of gold! Even if you killed this one, other dragons exist...
"Dragons want their items back." is the saying.

.... :what:

By the way, wouldn't it kinda hurt to bathe in a heap of gold?

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2003, 04:44:23 PM »
Where are you getting all of your information on dragons? It seems to me you share all the views of only one author (Tolkein). While Im not saying all of his stuff is wrong, I think that he improvised his own vision into the creation. The best info. is from a vast array of sources.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2003, 04:46:44 PM »
The reason is that most gaming systems do follow Tolkien's view of dragons, and Tolkien was only following the views of the Medieval British.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2003, 04:47:43 PM »
works, but as I said, I believe you need several views, and put them together to get the true sight!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2004, 10:21:14 PM »
Manfred has linked us to buried treasure!

I keep getting these images of a man wheeling his cart along, when suddenly, a massive shadow passes over, and he's blasted with dragon-crap.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 06:39:23 PM »
Maybe if a Dragon is angry with a village but not enough to destroy it, he/she divebombs it with poo and urine as a warning to the inhabitants.  :twisted:

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Dragon muck
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2004, 05:58:06 AM »
It could get twice as ironic, if the land was getting poor, but this great fertiliser produced fantastic harvest! Bet the farmers will welcome the dragon the next he flies around...
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.