llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: They call her wisdom  (Read 5145 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Thadin

• Trogdor De' Burninator
  • Nomad
    • Awards
They call her wisdom
« on: December 07, 2006, 06:36:08 PM »
This story is basically an outline. It doesn’t have dialogue (for the most part) and not really any description. First off I want to say this, there is a secret hidden in this story. If anyone thinks they know it, pm the answer to me. DON’T POST IT. Also, if anyone would like me to expand on this story just let me know ^^.

When first I saw her, she was just another person. Another face whose name I would have to know in case I ever needed to speak with her. But then it didn’t appear that I would need to do so, for she was a very shy girl. It wasn’t until I saw her being picked on by several boys that I spoke to her.

This was first grade, the grade where we came up with stupid sayings like “My dad will sue you,” or “If you love it so much, why don’t you marry it”. It is only later that we realize how silly it all was. Yet sometimes what we say is true, even though we are told it isn’t. But sometime when we say something that isn’t true at the time, it becomes reality later on. And this was one such occasion.

I walked up to the three boys who where tormenting that poor girl and I berated them savagely with every degrading insult I knew (and that didn’t amount to a lot). Then I took her by her hand and led her away saying that they were “Only jealous”. A small smile crossed her lips as she replied, “And why might that be?”

I slowed down then and thought, why would anyone be jealous? I looked at her with more than a little admiration. Even at the age of six, I could tell that she was far more intellectual than the rest of us. During the next few years, however, she would become a person people would envy and admire, and none more than I.

As far as elementary school goes, I was considered “popular”. The idea of being popular in the first 6 years of your school life is rather ridicules. But it does have the advantage of changing someone’s life. Eve, that was her name, went from being an unpopular shy girl, to being liked by almost everyone. As we grew older, I began to think back and saw that they only liked her because she was my friend. But after a while, she really began to fit in and the false acceptance gave way to true approval and even respect. Many times she would be asked to help settle a debate between friends, and sometimes, enemies.

Once the seventh year of school came around, sixth grade, we began to fall into ‘cliques’. There were nine of us in all, five girls and four guys. We all got along well enough, but if Eve hadn’t been there, the friendships between us would have severed and fallen away, never to be reformed again. I honestly don’t know how many times we fought amongst ourselves over petty and frivolous things. Always there would be Eve who would silence the quarrel with a simple comment that would always force us to think about what we were doing and saying.

In time, we argued far less and debated more. In the ensuing years, Eve became more than a part of our lives; she became more a part of us. She would encourage us to talk about our problems so that we might come up with a solution that was better than what we had at first. Eve knew many things and could help us with everything from social problems to building a primitive robot. When I think about us in those times and compare us to other junior high and high school people, especially the ‘popular’ people, I know that we were different because of Eve. Her kindness and wisdom made us better people overall.

But I had a secret. And I was slightly afraid of this secret. Day and night I would think of her and wonder about the same thing constantly: Could she feel the same? For you see, to me Eve was more than a friend. From the moment I understood what love really was, I knew that I loved Eve with all of my heart and soul.

I first knew I loved Eve in the sixth grade. We were alone (a thing that happened seldom in those times) at the city park. The sun was setting and we sat underneath a tree just talking about life in general. We had known each other for years now, but we didn’t know everything about each other. The conversation shifted from colors to animals, types of flowers to math, books to people. This is where the conversation really got interesting, for as we talked about people I grew worried that the question of who I liked would come up. But thankfully, it never did.

For several weeks I had had a slight crush on Eve. No mattered how hard I tried to push the thought out of my mind, it just came back. And as I talked with her, I could feel it deep within me. Just being with her was enough for me. As we talked about people I came to know her kindness more than ever, and I knew that I would be content with the world and my life if all I ever saw was her smile.

I knew I could never tell her how I felt, but at the very least I could make her happy. In my mind I recounted the time I had first spoken to her, the time when I had helped her when she had been teased. If there was anything I could do for her, it would be to keep doing things like that. All I want is to see her smile…

The two years one spends in junior high seem to be some of the longest in life. But our friendship was strong and, though sometimes our group wavered, we remained the ‘popular’ people in the school. Several times I would have the chance to help Eve when she needed it, for in these times people begin to either love the popular people, or label them as preps. Since Eve was the nicest of all of us, she received the most unwanted attention. But after a year, people learned to leave her alone, for I was almost always by her side.

And so we began the last part of the 13 years of school…

High School was far more enjoyable for many reasons. People seemed to be more open-minded, we had a lot more classes to choose from, the food was better (sort of), and we could be ourselves more.

But my love for Eve began to consume my mind bit by bit. I’m not even sure if there was a time I wasn’t thinking about her. It became more intense when the school play started. Eve and I both got parts in the play, which happened to be a musical that year. After the first day of practice, she asked me if I could help her become a better singer. I told her that she hardly needed it, for her voice was the most beautiful I had ever heard in my life, but I added quickly that I would be glad to if she really felt the need. She said that she did and we began to spend almost all of our time together; and my longing to tell her grew so that I feared I would go mad, but I knew I could not speak…not now, and probably not ever.

The play was over, and we both were considered the best singers in the school. But I could not feel the joy that Eve felt at this praise. I was happy for her, but by this time, I always seemed melancholy, even when I smiled. My parents began to notice and questioned me, but I could not tell them. To avoid their constant questions, I began to come up with things to do. I was fairly good at the piano, but I decided that I was not content with that and began to practice constantly. Before long I could play anything set before me without looking at it beforehand. And once more I became restless…

I started running. Often I would run in the middle of the night while it snowed to keep my mind off Eve. I tried many things to keep from thinking of her, and I distanced myself from all of my friends, yet it wasn’t enough.

Piano, flute, running, sports, poetry, composing, drawing, painting, singing…nothing was enough. I distanced myself from Eve so much that she once asked me if I was upset with her. It brings a whole knew meaning to ‘If looks could kill’. When I looked at her sad face I instantly wished I would just die. I told her I wasn’t, and that I just needed time to myself for a while. That night, grief stricken, I cried. I did not sleep that night, I simply wrote. I wrote about times that never were and things that had never been said. In just one night, 47 pages were complete. After school I came home and kept writing. In less than two weeks, I had written a complete book. Then I printed out every page, and burned it. And still I was not satisfied.

My parents became so concerned that they sent me to a counselor. From him, I learned that my parents, and several of my friends, feared that I would kill myself. I felt terrible for it, but how could I explain to them my problem?

The counselor and my parents became aggravated as time went on because of my refusal to talk. The sessions became repetitive: come, talk, get talked at, ask random questions, get talked at some more, leave. It was only a huge waste of time.

At school I wasn’t as distant. People began to notice and I was continually barraged with questions such as, “Are you ok?” or “Something wrong?” and eventually I just told everyone to leave me alone. And because of this, Eve was sad. When I saw her, she was almost never smiling. When she asked, I would always say it had nothing to do with her, but she never believed me.

Our first year of high school was almost over, and a change had come over my life. My parents had given up on me, I never went back to the counselor, I sat alone in school, and for all practical purposes I was a nobody. Slowly I began to fade away until no one even looked at me. Sadly, was the way I wanted it.

And then the summer came, during which I was always either in my room or in the forest that surrounded half the town. Often I would go to the lake and draw. Or I would play my flute for hours on end, making up songs as I went. But even then for some reason I could not explain, I still loved Eve.

It was about midsummer, and I had decided to walk on out to the lake. As I walked, I thought of Eve and how kind she was and the great wisdom she possessed. I longed to see her face, hear her voice…but I forced myself to stop thinking of her. It was utterly useless to do so. It was a simple fact of life: I could not be with her ever.

Finally I was at the lake. I could see the birds as they rose from the water, black shadows against the sunset. Out there was the island with all of its many trees silhouetted against the light. All I heard was the sound of the water as it lapped gently against the shore and a calm warm breeze that blew against my hair. I pulled out my flute, and began to play.

The melody was quiet and sorrowful. It was one I had created long ago and it expressed my feelings beautifully. I became so lost in the music that I never heard the person walk up behind me. I never knew that someone sat down next to me and was listening as I wove a tapestry of life and death, and I was lost within that tapestry I had created. And as the melody died away, I felt someone’s hand upon my shoulder. I turned and saw Eve sitting next to me. I lowered the flute, and she moved her hand down to hold mine.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t understand before,” was all she said to me. I gazed into her eyes for a long moment. She came close to me and kissed me. For the first time in years, I felt at peace with the world…