llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Ancestor Cult  (Read 12953 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2003, 03:31:00 PM »
Mona began backing away from the ghost as she approached.  This can't be a good thing...  Finally, she couldn't stand there any longer.  She turned and ran back to her own house, holding the cat.  It probably looked silly, but she didn't care.  She locked the door and sat down heavily.  "Jericho, this is getting out of hand."
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2003, 03:44:12 PM »
As the girl ran away, Golden Tears Mistress had caught a glance at the cat. That cat, with the eyes. The ghost's eyes. That was no ordinary cat. Some sort of protector spirit. No wonder we could only sense the girl's link, and not her location. thought the spectre, turning and drifting slowly into the twilight shadows of the hill.
     "So. The First and Night-Crowned Wolf has agents even in the Mortal World.  My mistress will be pleased to know as much." said Never-Ending Silence, the death-knight. "Just so you know, you will not have the girl. Even now, my agents are approaching her home."
Golden Tears Mistress haughtily observed Never-Ending Silence. "Your agents? You mean your demons, you whore of the Inferno? Only you among we the Dead would traffick with those denizens."
Meanwhile, six red erymanthoi, their long, black, filthy claws stained with blood, crept silently up the hill towards Mona's cottage.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2003, 04:11:15 PM »
Mona sat in her chair, close to panic.  Like last time, only worse.  So much worse this time.  Jericho jumped into her lap and butted her with his head.
"It's not safe here anymore, Mona."
"I know.  Just give me a minute..."
"I don't think we have it."
Mona got up and peered through the window.  She paled.  "You're right."  Maybe it was fortunate that Mona was paranoid.  She was always prepared to run if she had to.  She pulled a well-worn knapsack from under the bed.  It was already packed.  She slipped out through the back way, cutting through the woods.  She caught sight of some creatures through the trees, and the sight made her hurry.  She recognized those too.  A vague idea formed in her mind.  The church.  I might be safe in the church.  She passed one of the local farmer's boys.  He stared at her and got quickly out of her way.  She caught him making a warding symbol as she passed.  She didn't blame him.  She must really look a sight.  Clothes all rumpled, dark circles under her eyes that never quite went away, and the faint streak of premature grey in her tangled mass of brown hair.  The very image of a madwoman.  Sometimes she thought life would be easier if she was.  But that didn't matter.  Getting away mattered.  Jericho ran ahead of her, pausing occasionally to let her catch up.  The sun would be up soon, but Mona felt that it didn't matter.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2003, 04:26:26 PM »
OOC: Hope some other user comes along soon with a character to help Mona.

"Grakkk-charak tzeerk yragkarr!" snarled the head erymanthoi: There is the mortal that the master sent us for!
The hideous bloated ape-things smashed out of the bushes, no longer having need for stealth. The farmer's boy, gaping on the side of the road, scarcely moved as one of the demons ripped his arms from his body and devoured them, all the while loping after it's roaring fellows.
"Mirgook znark-tzaaaahgh!" one of the erymanthoi roared, and released a loud whoop like that of a frightened ape: It is a spirit guardian!
Before them on the road stood Jericho, eyes flashing.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2003, 04:28:38 PM »
OOC: Hey, Adel, sorry about controlling you, but it's needed.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2003, 12:45:53 PM »
((OOC:  I'll introduce another character.  We can always kill him off later if necessary.))

Mona broke into a run.  Jericho had stopped somewhere behind; she desperately hoped he would be all right.  But she had reached the church.  She could see a lamplight in the back; someone was there.  It didn't matter.  Whoever it was couldn't be worse than what was behind.

------------------------------------------------

Peter had been in the church by himself, getting ready for the day.  Not that it was likely to make a difference.  No one in this town seemed to attend services.  Not unless the odd lady who lived at the end of town started talking to people.  Then they came in droves.  
It was odd that he was thinking of that right then, because the odd lady herself dashed in and shut the door behind her, breathing hard and crying.  He took one look at her and knew something was very wrong.  She usually avoided him like she was scared of him.  He could find out why later.  It wasn't important right now.  "What's the matter, my dear?"

--------------------------------------------------

Mona looked up as he spoke.  It was the priest, or whatever he was.  She had never spoken to him before, avoided him in fact.  But she couldn't do that right now.  "They're... like from my dreams.  Following me."
That didn't seem to make much sense to him, so she tried again.  "I don't know what they are, but they're coming..."  Then she slid down to the floor and buried her face in her arms.  "It's like before only worse," she whispered.

-------------------------------------------------

Peter was surprised and confused.  But he could also see that she was bordering on hysteria.  They could straighten things out later.  He heard something crashing through the underbrush, so evidently something was chasing her.  Suddenly a black and white cat jumped through the open window and ran over to the woman.  She held on to it like it was a rock in a storm.  Without thinking, Peter shut the window.  The others were already closed.  He caught a glimpse of something in the woods.  Oh.  Lovely.  Just lovely.  I had hoped I wouldn't have to deal with those d**n things again.

((OOC:  How's that?))

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2003, 10:37:25 PM »
Jericho knew the creatures would come for them the catacombs that lay directly beneath the church led out of the city that is where they must go.  once out of the city they could formulate a plan.  

Jericho quicky told Mona of what they must do he knew the young priest must accompany them for if he didn't the creatures would surely rip him limb for limb.   This jericdho believed was there best option...
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2003, 11:43:06 PM »
((OOC: Works for me.))

The erymanthoi, one with a face scarred with a glowing cat scratch, burst into the town proper, smashing apart barrels and carts in the twilight. A travelling merchant, caught unaware turning a corner, had his head squeezed until it smashed like rotten fruit. A frightened housewife was dashed against a tree, falling to the ground, dazed. Ahead of them, the blood-apes could see a church of sorts. "Bugkaka-ukchu! Urraggh! Tzeeyrak-yrazzk!" growled the leader, loping forwards: The prey is inside with the guardian spirit! We will destroy the shrine-place!
"Stop right there, foul demons! You will not lay your filthy claws upon this church!" cried a devout man, unleashing his large, snarling dog. "Destroy the unholy ones, Gatch!"
The dog snarled, barked, drooled. Enemies/red hairy monkeys/glowing eyes/Master says kill/Gatch will bite them thought the dog, hurling it's huge, stupid bulk at the erymanthoi, raving with canine fury.
As the demons stepped over it's master's broken body, the dog thought: Pain in Gatch/red red blood/Gatch bad dog.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
Back in black
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2003, 12:30:06 AM »
A lass named Marion who was nothing more than a petty pickpocket dozed high up in a pine tree behind the church. Marion lived in the trees and could move very rapidly through their twisted canopy, this ability had come in very handy when pilfering provisions from unwary citizens.

She had been hoping to steal a roll but had not found more than crumbs. She could here a pounding noise off in the distance but she thought nothing of and closed his eyes once more.
You may know me from... nevermind just go away

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2003, 12:46:48 AM »
Mona could hear things outside.  Terrible things.  She quickly got to her feet and glanced from Jericho to the priest.  She hadn't had very good luck with that sort of person before, but this was different.  "Are there catacombs under this church?"
"What?" He seemed a little dazed.  "Yes, there are."
"Where?  Can we get to them from here?"
He snapped out of it.  "Yes."
"Then we'd better hurry.  I think they're after me, but they wouldn't hesitate to kill you."
A wry, humorless smile crossed his face.  "I think they'd rather enjoy it, actually."  He led her to the concealed door that opened into the catacombs.  They were huge.  He hadn't quite explored them all yet.  Something occured to him.  "Just a tick."
Mona didn't like the sounds that were growing louder outside.  "Hurry!" she urged, somewhat unneccessarily.
_________________________________________________ _______

Peter was glad that this particular church had the priest's quarters within its sturdy walls.  If he went out, he'd most certainly be killed.  He went to his tiny room, hidden within the murky depths of the church.  Fortunately, he was something more than an ordinary village priest.  He grabbed a lantern, his cloak, and a large, cloth-wrapped bundle.  It was about the right size to be a sword.  He didn't waste any time.  Having grabbed what he needed he hurried back to the entrance to the catacombs.  The lady was waiting there anxiously, her cat twining aroud her ankles.  As soon as he appeared, they both started into the catacombs.  Peter followed but paused inside the entrance.  He had a few tricks up his sleeve after all.  He whispered the words to the warding spell and effectively sealed the entrance to the marauding demons.  He wasn't a moment too soon, for the door was starting to splinter.  As soon as the wards were set Peter followed the lady into the dark tunnels under the church.

((OOC:  If it makes a difference, Peter is a paladin with experience fighting demons.  Prolly including the monstrosities currently on the rampage, assuming that's okay.))

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2003, 12:56:29 AM »
((OOC: That's just fine. By the way, priate, having your character just sit there won't help any.))

The erymanthoi bashed and howled and ranted at the door of the church, scratching it with their bloody claws and pounding it with their fists. "Traaaaaaaaaaaagkh! Tzeentchee-tchugu! Kragraaalar!" roared the leader, leaping twenty feet into the air and scrabbling for the church roof: We come in through the roof! Bad symbols won't get in the way!
The demons began to leap and climb also, pulling apart ancient carvings and smashing stonework. Roofing tiles rained to the ground, as the demons began to lope upon the roof, seeking a way in. One of them, seeing the thief, Marion, in the tree, snatched her up and called to his fellows. "Yruukaaargh! Graakhraagh-raaakh!": Here is a mortal! We will feast!

((OOC: The erymanthoi are easily distracted. That's why he suddenly snatched up Marion.))

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2003, 05:01:45 PM »
Marion was scared out of her mind she screamed for aid and thrashed ferociously around. She scratched and kicked and the foul thing until she managed to unsheathe her dagger and stab at the demon.

(OCC: Capt. just so you know i am not saying that she succcessfily stabed the demon just that she is trying to, just so you know i'm not trying to cotrol anything)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2003, 08:14:44 PM »
((OOC: Why ask me? Just stab it.))

The erymanthoi snarled and bared it's teeth, tearing the knife from it's arm. As the demons advanced on Marion, a great crack sounded in the air and the roof fell beneath them. The demons fell slowly, aided by demonic magic, but Marion plummeted towards the floor.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2003, 08:24:23 PM »
Peter was a kind man.  As such, even with his life in danger, he couldn't leave the unfortunate woman to the demons.  But it was still dumb luck that he happened to be in the right place to catch her.  Her fall took them both to the floor, but she was still alive and didn't seem unduly hurt.  He got up, pulling her with him.  The demons hadn't quite reached the floor yet, so he still had a moment.  He shoved the woman into the catacombs after the other lady.  Then he ripped the cloth off of the bundle revealing that it was indeed a sword.  A very large sword that had spilled demon blood in the past.  Peter stood in front of the entrance to the catacombs with his sword at the ready.  It seemed like Peter de Glasse, slayer of demons, was going to be forced to start his old work again.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2003, 11:49:46 PM »
Marion now sat in a clammy tunnel. Although she was very thankful to be away from those foul things, yet she felt alienated, this was very different from the treetops in which she lived. Marion turned to the lady next to her and asked for her name.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2003, 06:27:02 PM »
"I'm Mona," she replied, distracted.  "And this is Jericho."  She stroked the cat.  "You didn't get hurt, did you?"  She was watching the priest, and was coming to the belated realization that he was much more than he seemed.  He's fought those... things before.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2003, 11:17:03 PM »
We had better head farther down the catacomb before one of those things gets past the priest. Buy the way you wouldn't happen to have an unused blade on you I feel naked without mine, lost it to one of those things whatever they are.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2003, 01:13:50 PM »
(OCC: Is anyone going to post anytime soon?)

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2003, 01:23:35 PM »
OOC: Just waiting for the Cap'n.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2003, 02:05:30 PM »
OOC: Who, me?

The blood-apes leapt at Peter slashing and snarling savagely. The leader stood back, hopping a curious and ugly dance and growling a beastial chant. At a precise moment, the dancing beast howled and clapped it's meaty palms, unleashing a sickly green bolt of energy that rushed across the chamber, narrowly missing the paladin, and striking the back wall of the church, exploding violently into vile green flames.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2003, 02:13:25 PM »
Peter was greatly surprised.  When did they learn how to do that?  He didn't waste any more time thinking about it, however.  He hadn't the time.  Two of the snarling beasts leapt at him, only to fall to his sword.  He was making a dent in their numbers, but another magical onslought like the last one could very well be the end of him.  So he risked a moment's distraction to cast a banishment spell.  Even if he didn't get them all, it would buy him some time.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2003, 07:30:27 PM »
OOC: does anyone else think the hulk looks similar to a fuming baby?

Marion started to head down the dark bowels of the catacomb but then realized that Mona had become distracted again and wasn’t following her so she stayed a safe distance away from the opening.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2003, 09:26:46 PM »
OOC:Hey man! Don't diss the Hulk!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2003, 08:25:18 PM »
Mona watched the priest.  He was doing well, she could tell, but it couldn't last.  But still, she knew he wasn't fated to die just yet.  She became gradually aware that the other woman had retreated farther into the catacombs.  Mona wished she knew what to do.

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
The Ancestor Cult
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2003, 05:52:17 PM »
OCC:Adam please go