llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ideas a plenty, concentration lacking...  (Read 1197 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
Ideas a plenty, concentration lacking...
« on: August 17, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »
I have tons of Ideas. I always do. I have plenty of ideas for demons, or warriors, or a language. For city names, or the new name of an element, or character ideas. I have many ideas and plot lines and needs to put it all together.

But that's the point. How do you put it all together? How do you take that one step and start writing? I stare at a blank page for hours, get distracted, go back to it, give up and piddle around the house feeling like I should be doing something constructive.

How do you put your ideas and plots, your names, monsters and heroes together to form a coherent story line? Or even just a paragraph?

Too much research and development and I get "analysis paralysis." How do you get past these bumps? How do you sit down and write? #___#

www †  artcraft

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Ideas a plenty, concentration lacking...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 12:28:58 AM »
Well lets see:

First I have a scroll in my workspace (set to private) that I store all my ideas in for later use.  That way I never lose them.  If they are really good ideas, I create submissions with them (set to working) with some notes or poetic lines. That way, I have something tangible to get back to. It reminds me I should be doing this.  (check my profile to see my working spaces)

As for the writing, I always force myself to write 10 lines of text (or edit 10 lines of text) every day. Most days I do more, but that is my minimum. Once you get used to the act of writing, writing becomes easier to do.

So I randomly choose something from my list OR choose a fun scroll or find something that interests me, and I do 5-10 lines worth of work on it. Then I might do some more on something else. However, I always spend some time doing it every day I am on the computer.

So you are probably going, but that is not finishing anything. 

You will finish something... eventually. However, by taking it in chunks, you can tackle huge projects in managable pieces. Thus long submissions become obtainable.

The big thing about writing is the actual act of writing. Once you have it down, you can edit it to your heart's delight and search for perfection. However, if you don't have it down, you don't have anything.  So 10 lines of notes every day, becomes 50 lines minimum in a week. A  two hundred lines in a month. Since the average submissions has 50 to 100 lines, You can see how this eventually adds up. It adds up to submissions. Even if you are doing 8 things at once, eventually one will be done.

And 10 in 10 might be a good read for you   http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=2029
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:10:56 PM »
Alright, that seems manageable! ^___^ Thank you for the advise and feedback, I really appreciate it! <3

www †  artcraft

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
It can help to just write and don't criticise yourself.  Just write down the ideas that come to you; then, later, pick out the nuggets of value from among the heap of ideas.

Some of my best ideas have come when I was writing something entirely different.  What I was working on originally was junk, but the ideas it spawned were good.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai