llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Manifest Desolation  (Read 24964 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Manifest Desolation
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 12:02:05 PM »
As the airlock cycled, Dr. Tran wished that he'd been able to access more of the information from the station's Ops files.  He was sure that the data needed to understand what had happened would be available, if only he had the needed passwords.  Unfortunately, those passwords were still locked away, blocked by the condition-coded encrypts in his enhancements.  Blue Heaven's security procedures stymied him, leaving him with the gnawing sensation that there was something he needed to know, but couldn't yet.

The others seemed nervous, despite their posturing.  It was the first good news he'd noticed since reaching the station:  The last thing that they needed was some nut rushing around, shooting the place up.

His portcomp's voice cut in to the suit circuit, advising him that it had finished downloading the few station files he'd been able to unlock.  The schematics and sensor feeds could come in handy as they dealt with subject Jonah (or "Mister Shooty", as the mercenary Montag had dubbed him.  It was an amusing nickname, but he'd hate to see it on an official vestfile!).

An awkward silence descended as the airlock's cylinders finished cycling.  Tabbing onto the team's comm circuit, Malcan tried not to sound too condescending, but suspected that his annoyance came across anyway.  "Are we going in now, or what?  This is definitely your area, gentlemen, not mine."

Despite the anodyne tabs, his headache surged back with a vengeance as he examined the area ahead.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 02:27:07 AM »
Guy lifted his plasshield by it's heavy kevlar straps, it was a standard riot issue model from one of the Chaos March worlds, ultra-dense plastic with a steel sheet core. It was good protection from small calibre rounds and low output beam weapons, and simply superb against rocks and chunks or bricks seen in riots. Tranq gun in his right hand, shield slung across his left arm Guy entered the station moving quickly to to the opposite wall from the airlock entrance. Seeing the hallway clear, the vet motioned for the rest to follow him out as he started a basic area sweep. No need to let Mister Shooty get the drop on him, and no reason for Guy to be the only target for the creep, wherever he was.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »
Mr. Shooty had apparently decided to make himself scarce; the maint bay was empty.  At first glance, it didn't look like anything was amiss, no ships were missing and everything was neatly stowed.  Aside from the destroyed Spider, there were no signs of violence.  There was also no signs of life, despite the fact that all instruments showed that the life support was functioning perfectly.

Dietrich looked around, his gun at the ready.  "Well, where is he?" 
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
  • I'm crazy? Insane? Don't care, you decide.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 04:48:09 AM »
Syrus walked around following whatever the fools said. Even though this job was great pay, he wasn't very happy about it. As a bounty hunter, if someone had attacked the station, he would have heard something. But no, the last thing he had heard in the bounties was about a thing Thrask, the details weren't clear on why he was wanted, but they never were. Syrus just kept quite, his revolver sadly still holstered. From what the others said, Syrus had gathered there may be a hostile on bourd Blue Haven. Syrus didn't care. This whole expedition could be slaughtered, he knew death would never catch him. He had survived through to much to let some space station and whatever had happened to all the ill-equiped scientists happen to him.

Syrus decided to join everyone, try not to make anyone look paranoid, and pulled out his revolver. No one else should have noticed he kept it unloaded. Anything on this station would either kill him before he could shoot, or he would be able to load and blow its brains, or whatever it had, out the back of its skull. He smiled as he fingered a .45 hollow point bullet. He had about sixty on him at this very moment, and many people had looked down on him for his choice of weapon. Hallow points did more internal damage than a blaster or armor piercing round did. And he always liked to get information out of his prey. Syrus thought about it, and loaded a single bullet into his revolver with out anyone noticing. This could get bad, and when it did, Syrus would make it messy.
"Try to kill me, I'll be laughing," Celak

"You want to know who I am? Or WHAT I am? There is a huge difference," Kui

"Assassinate the assassin, then shoot the plane down!" Saul

"I once ate a skinned cat. It's owner didn't like me much after that," Dave

"Nymphs! OH MY MASTER NYMPHS!" Stev

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 03:02:59 PM »
"Well, where is he?"

Time to go.  Well, couple more things...
Sensors - engage autosweep.  Redirect output Comm terminal Alpha mark 41123...
Communications - shunt bidirectional feed to Comm terminal Alpha mark 41123...
K, thats it.

Getting up from his seat, he made sure his holster was in quick access mode.  The flaps were retracted, but a small electomagnet would hold the weapon inside until the grip was grasped.

He might be a cowboy, but he was not reckless.

"Alls ashure that's goin' ashure folks!"

Most of the others had exited the vessel, with the exception of himself and the Professor...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 02:32:47 AM »
(OOC - Guy is going to start doing a room by room sweep of the station)

'Lets head towards the CIC, see about getting the computer back online." Guy paused, 'What if this cretin tries for our shuttle? I don't feel like being stranded on a dead bird.'

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 07:36:17 AM »
(OOC - well crap, though I posted that I was securing the systems... Well, no time like the present..)

<clickety clickety> "It's secured - it ain't work'n for anyone but us.  Plus I've rigged the sensors - if he tries to get in, I"ll know.."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »
There was a reassuring *beep* as the computer confirmed that the shuttle was secure.  The sensor and communications feeds relayed themselves to Derek's suit comp. 

CIC was down a short hallway from the maint bay, according to the station plans that were available. 

((OOC- Are you guys going straight for CIC, or are you checking rooms as you go?))

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »
(ooc - Scras said he was doing a room by room sweep....)

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »
There was a small storage bay attatched to the maint bay.  The door wasn't quite shut all the way.  Smart money said that's where Mr. Shooty had taken cover.  Dietrich noticed it first, then waved to attract Guy's attention.  He pointed silently at the door, then gestured that it was the only door to that particular space. 

They were moving to open it when the station's comm system quietly hummed into life.  The comm sets in their suits picked it up.  Dead air hummed for a moment, then wild laughter echoed through the station.  It sounded almost like a child laughing at something he found absolutely hilarious. 

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2007, 02:03:48 AM »
Syrus thought to himself, if Thrash was the last person he'd heard on the bounty networks, it was quite possible the idiot would hide on a desolate station like this. If that thing had so much as smacked a scientist, he'd be accused of all the carnage. No, most of the hunted were smarter than that, Thrask was running, but if this was his work, he wouldn't be here anymore. So if Thrask was on board, he didn't have anything to do with it. But broken old stations were a blessing in disguise for many runners. Syrus decided to fully load his revolver, and still with the slyness of a seasoned veteran, he loaded it, he was a little more clumsy this time though, trying to get a feel for his "comrades." If anyone noticed him loading his revolver, he might actually have someone worth saving on this blasted expedition. Of course the main objective would be to save the guy paying his salary right now, if someone noticed his sly movements, he would try to save them too. If everyone noticed, he would be surprised. Hopefully no one would think he was only just now loading because if a fight had broken out he was going to run for it. No ammount of cash was worth his life, but dieing here? Not a chance in the universe. Syrus would live untill old age comsumed him, or an assassin of greater skill took him out. Chances of either happeneing here were slim to none. Syrus always liked those odds.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2007, 06:58:16 PM »
Turning his external speaker off, he switched to the suit's built in comm unit.

"So, we's gonna just rush em, or yah want me to try an' talk 'em out? Sounds like we gotta hurry!"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 11:17:21 PM »
Dr. Tran paused for a long moment, then cut in on the suits' comm circuit.  "I just ran back the bay's video record.  It shows our subject entering the storage closet:  He should still be in there.  There was something else, though.  I'm not sure if the record was hacked, but there was someone else in here, about ten seconds after Mr. Shooty entered the closet.  I don't see how we could have missed noticing the second subject, but let me feed the video to you."

As they watched the video in their heads-up displays, a young man sauntered onto the screen, contempt written on his features.  Sporting a ragged T-shirt and torn jeans, the youth's eyes were hidden behind dark sunglasses.  He flipped off the security video camera, then strolled off toward the airlock. 

Dr. Tran cleared his throat, then continued.  "Gentlemen, I don't see how we could have missed that kid.  We'd have had to pass him on the way in, and I didn't notice anywhere large enough for a teenager to hide.  It's possible that the security video data has been compromised."

Mr. Crowe's bodyguard, Deitrich, seemed to be having trouble with his heads-up display.  He ran it repeatedly, eventually giving up with a confused look on his face.

After pausing for a few moments for the others to finish reviewing the video file, the scientist spoke again.  "Mr. Crowe, do you recognize him?  The boy's not familiar to me."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:29:00 AM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
There was a moment of hesitation as Crowe cued up the video feed again.  "No, I haven't.  In any case, I suspect you're right, Dr. Tran, the video feed has apparently been compromised."

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 11:19:28 PM »
Syrus took up a possition where anything leaving the storage closet would be dead in his sights. Syrus thought about his choice of thought. Dead in my sights, funny way to put it, Syrus thought to himself. He had gotten the video feed, and noticed small signs of someone who had twisted it. A kid on this station? No way, a teenager would have been hiding in the controll room in case anyone tried to contact the station. It is possible, Syrus thought, that the kid realized he didn't know how to use the controlls to respond to any attempt at communication. But the laughing grated on his nerves. If the kid had tampered with the video, then he knew how to use the radio. Either way, if something hostile was in that closet, Syrus would put a .45 hollow-point right wherever he thought its brain was. Only problem was, he couldn't think of a way to realize it was hostile untill it attacked...

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
"Well, if we're talkin' 'bout video 'nomolies, then I had a kicker - early on I saw a whole buncha bugs in some of the telemetry from the station, though it passed so quick I rekoned I was just seein' things."

"Now, ya'll didn't answer mah question? We gonna talk 'em out or do things a little more rough?

Or I suppose, we could close the door and secure it wit' a plasma welder and cut 'em out later once we've figured this all out..."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
Syrus finally decided to speak with his companions. "Yeah, try to talk them out, if things get rough, and someone is in danger, back up and I'll put a round in its leg, or legs," Syrus said roughly. To think, these guys were gettin the same pay as him. Incredible. "Anyone ever talked a scared kid or a hostile convict outta doin something stupid before?" he asked quickly. If someone was going to talk, they should at least have some experience. Syrus never really worked as a negotiator. Last time he tried, four people ended up dead, and Syrus had taken a round to the shoulder. Please say someone has done this before, never was my strong suit, Syrus thought to himself. He never did lower his revolver.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:43 AM »
Guy pressed his back against the wall, his fingers punched a quick pattern on the keypad to open the door. He pulled a blue pill shaped grenade from his vest and pulled the pin as the door hissed open. He tossed the plastic weapon into the room and hit the E-shut button, causing the door to suddenly reverse it's direction and slam shut.

"Flash-Bang," guy said as the sound of the weapon, a dull whump barely penetrated the thick bulkheads and door.

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2007, 12:51:16 AM »
Syrus quickly holstered his revolver. He ran to the door, ready to tackle anything that came out. He looked at Guy, giving a nod, hoeping he would realize that if something bigger than him came out, help would be appreciated.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 01:32:19 AM »
Syrus and Guy were ready to charge in as soon as the door opened back up.  There was a little smoke lingering from the grenade, and the force of the detonation had knocked a few boxes over, but there was no damage.  However, if they were expecting to take out a disoriented Mr. Shooty, they were to be disappointed.

The small room was empty.  They even checked behind the stacks of boxes, but there was no one in the storage closet but them.  There was no other door, and no access panels, either.  Mr. Shooty had just... vanished.  The only sign he'd been in there to begin with was a spent clip from a hand weapon that was lying on the floor.  There was also a small amount of some sort of sticky looking black substance near the clip.

As they looked at this, the station's comms hummed on line again.  The same child's voice from before could be audibly heard, singing.  "Ring around the rosie, pockets full of posey, ashes, ashes, you all fall down dead."  Then it pealed off into nearly hysterical laughter again.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:19:53 AM by Ria Hawk »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 02:43:24 AM »
"Jeeey-zus H Christ." guy scowled, his head tilted towards the intercom. "We've got a @!#$ing comedian here." He regretted wasting the flash bang, but whe he got ahold of the joker he was going to beat the cost of the grenade out of that sack of wet meat.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »
"Well, ah think we need to rely on the ole mark 1 Eyeball from now on - these cameras ain't worth s**t.
Suggest someone scan that thar clip fer DNA and maybe even fingerprints.  Then run 'em through and see if we can find someun.

An some of that black crap there - what the hell is it?   Someone should scan it. Not that we can really trust it though, it seems."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »
Syrus was baffled. Someone had been in the closet, someone had ejected that clip. But with no where to go, and Syrus's revolver on the door... How the hell...

Syrus couldn't think strait. The com opened up with the kid singing, then that laughter again. "When I get my hands on that little bastard, I'll rip his head clean off his body," Syrus said in all seriousness. Now with this kid playing his games, they had someone armed, mabye hostile, a threat of unknown importence or strength, and Syrus was having more flashbacks with each moment.

He saw the boy standing there, a confused look on his face. Syrus couldn't shoot a harmless kid. He was above such horrible tactics. Then the pink mist that followed the explosion, the kid had been a walking bomb. His squad, all KIA. The mangled bodies blown apart and strewn across the courtyard. The blood, his arm was in extreme agony. His howl of pain and sorrow, and the subsequent loss of memory. He didn't know what happened after that, but the report said when he'd been found, there was more than just the bodies of his comrades lying dead in the street.

"I won't ever let that happen again," Syrus shouted to banish the memory back into the recesses of his mind. He hadn't realized he'd said it out loud. He pulled his revolver, popped open the wheel, unloaded the hallow points, dropped some armor piercing rounds into the wheel, and slapped it close. He cocked the hammer back, and took off at a fast walk down the hall, kicking in each door and manually scanning each room down the sights of his weapon.

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
While the others checked out the empty storage area, Dr. Tran cringed as another hellish blast of pain ripped through his skull.  “d**ned things!” he quietly winced, hoping that this time, the pain would fade quicker that the last. 

When at last he spoke again, his voice was hoarse and breathless.  The scholar struggled to concentrate through the agonizing headache.  "Our visitor… may have tampered with the video feed… to keep us occupied while he departed, but the spider's… destruction didn't happen by itself.  Obviously, someone here is interfering with us:  If we head toward the Red Room, we’ll… I mean Station Ops, we can take control of the station… and cut them out of the system.”

Moving next to Mr. Crowe, he shut down his suit comm and spoke to him quietly, face to face.  “Mr. Crowe, I need full access to two project histories and the associated research information:  One on the Lazarus Protocol, and the other on Project Ai.  I suspect that those files may be relevant here.”

As he spoke, he watched Mr. Blackwater's rampage.  The man was a loose cannon, clearly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:13:36 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2007, 10:51:04 PM »
Syrus was enraged, and charged down the corridor before anyone could stop him.  Before the others had quite regained their balance, he was around the corner and out of sight.

((OOC: Lith, I'm taking you to PMs for the moment.  I'll let you know when he's back where you guys can get at him.))

Dr. Tran moved over quietly to Crowe and asked his question.  At the frist name, Crowe started, then glared at him.  "That's classified beyond your level and has nothing to do with the matter at hand.  I don't know how you even got hold of that information in the first place," he growled.  "As for the other, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.  There is not now, nor will there ever be, a Project Ai.  I would never give anything so banal a name."  He stormed past Dr. Tran.  "Now, can we please get on with this?  I do not enjoy someone playing with an investment worth several quadrillion."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:55:26 PM by Ria Hawk »