llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Explanation of Evil ***  (Read 3988 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil ***
« on: May 18, 2003, 08:31:15 PM »
Why is there evil? Why is it evil to be....evil? Perhaps this may clear it up:

1) What is called evil is simply the drive for advancement, for greatness. We seek, through discipline and pain, to spur the advancement of nothing less than sentient life.

2) Cruelty - the application of pain - is the method by which one weeds out the weak and feeble-minded from the population.

3) Weakness must be eliminated in all its forms: Physical, Mental, and Spiritual.

4) The enemies of strength are those who trumpet the effeminate values of forgiveness, tolerance, and laxity of discipline.

5) The body may be made stronger through combat.

6) The mind may be made stronger through the elimination of conscience. One does this by inflicting pain on others.

7) The spirit may be made stronger by enduring hardships, both self-imposed and externally-imposed.

Perhaps this is the rationale behind evil...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:14:06 AM by MoonHunter »
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 08:38:24 PM »
You disturb me strangely, Cap'n.  Mostly because that makes so much sense (after a fashion)...
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 11:42:45 PM »
Evil is the opposition of good.  As with many, if not all things in the world, one could not exsist with out the other to balance it out. However in most instances good prevails over evil, perhaps the questoin you should be analyzing is: If good and evil must both exsist in order to maintian the essential balance,  Then what qualities does Goodness possess that allow the scales to be tipped in its favor?  
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Because it Eeeeevil
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 01:12:07 AM »
I have always placed the core of Evil as Selfishness, that the self is the only thing that is important and anything that required to meet the needs of the self is acceptable.  

The drive for advancement at any cost is a drive to fufill their own need for a position or place.  While Good allows for competition as long as that competition is not to the level of destroying the others in the competition, Evil emphasises success at any cost.  

Cruelty is a biproduct of Evil.  An uncaring for the suffering of others to achieve their goal is a perfectly Evil function.  Delight in cruelty inflicted upon others or self, is acceptable because it is simply a fufillment of their own needs, therefore acceptable.  

Weakness is simply something that gets in the way of achieving ones own goals.  Anything that stops you from achieving goals in yourself is a weakness and is simply not compatable with your needs.  Some who are evil have issues with others who are weak because they could be strong and they don't understand why anyone would not want to be strong and able to achieve their own goals.

Discipline may or may not be an aspect of Evil.  It depends on the goals of the Evil being.  Many Evils are into satisfying their own needs immediately, while others plan and plot to achieve more stratigic needs.  A degree of discipline might be acceptable, depending on the Evil beings needs.  

Combat. Combat is a simple tool to achieve an end.  If you like to show that you are superior (have a need that must be satisfied) you will engage in it freqeuntly, to prove you are superior.  If you enjoy watching the weak squirm, combat is a great way to fufill that need.  Combat is not Evil, it is just the easiest tool at their disposal.  

This selfishness is the reason why Evil is Negative.  Unlike Good which projects outward, giving to all, Evil draws thing in... absorbing everything in a point of self.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Did I kill this thread?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 04:05:42 AM »
Nobody has a comment?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 11:45:17 AM »
You kinda shot down my idea.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 10:45:25 PM »
Then form a new theory it is the scientific process!
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
So I was right?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 01:06:49 AM »
I just listed another root cause for Evil. Need for advancement, to me, does not seem to explain all of Evil so neatly.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 02:41:13 AM »
I suppose you didn't shoot it down, per se, but your explanation was so much better!

BETTER EXPLANATION MAKE PENGUIN MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Gets mop and bucket just in case.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 02:28:41 AM »
Well at least it did not make your head explode like last time.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Adel...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 02:37:27 AM »
I have been meaning to address your response, but haven't.  My bad.  

If Evil is just the opposition of Good, then you would need to define Good for us to determine what is Evil.  Defining "Good" is not all that easy.

And, well yes, one technically can not exist without the other. Good to balance Evil, otherwise you would not have a sense of perspective or frame of reference to judge from. Without Evil, you would not know what was good.  And to quote .... ummm.. somebody.... "You can not appriciate the mountain tops, until you have been to the valley floor."  

If good and evil must both exist in order to maintian the essential balance, Then what qualities does Goodness possess that allow the scales to be tipped in its favor?    This is a tough one.  

Um... Evil is dumb and those that practice it frequently can not contain their own drives long enough to truly capitalize on any gains they made.  Okay. Evil is not dumb. But Good, with its cooperative and supportive elements allows groups to work together and eventually overcome the fractous forces of Evil.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Barbarian Horde

The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 04:25:03 AM »

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 10:04:29 PM »
Light cannot exist without shadow, and without shadow, why would light be so great?

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2003, 11:23:02 PM »
Hmmmmm. Defineing good it is a tough one. odd how something everyone even the most evil person must have experienced in there life is so difficult to define.  I am afraid however I was not blessed with your articulate and well rather artistic way of expressing your feelings  (you are good :wink: )  I feel any definition that I would provide would not do its word justice.  however, since it was my initial question I think it only fair to attempt to express  my opinion on the matter.

Here it goes:  Good- the force that allows humanity to carry on in there basic sruggle for life.  People commiting selfless acts in hopes of helping a fellow being. Good is also the feeling a person experiences after they have completed that act.  Good is all people's thoughts, dreams, Ideas unifying for one cause: to aid all societies. Good is free from hate, selfishness, and cruelty the main elements of evil....  It is love for all, hope for all, and ultimately life for all.
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
The Explanation of Evil
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 04:27:19 PM »
My explanation, I realize, allows Evil for Evil's Sake. But in real life, it's all relative. The ork would not say "I'm gonn rip your arms off, cuz' I'm evil and I like destruction!" They would say "I will bring honor to my clan by slaying you in glorious battle!" Or, actually, something along the lines of "Grugaga karakh roraaarg!"

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Evil for Evil's sake....
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2003, 04:36:58 AM »
Except for Demons or Avatars of Evil, very few things will be evil for Evil's sake. (Things will be good for Good's sake, but that is the nature of it.)

There is a great writers quote that comes to mind...

"Nobody is a villain in their own mind. Everyone is the protagonist of their own personal story."  

Evil actions are normally rationalized and fit quite nicely within that person's view of things.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©