llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: once more into the breach  (Read 1984 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline epsilon

• Apprentice
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
once more into the breach
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:18:53 AM »
Hi all
Where to start? excellent question. Do I need help? Yes And I have a lazy gramma. So I will attempt to give it my best because this site looks like where I should have started last year.
I believe it was December 2006 I had a spurt of interest, purchased all the core 3.5 books and the DM and monster manuals and did my best. But here is my  problem. Could not find any local support, Im recalling lost memories over 20 years old now and even then I wasn't an avid gamer.
   But winter is here again, the dust that hath thickened on the books  is wiped in restoration. Time for another try.
I like to be DM, I want to be DM but I also like to play. Not only a DM but the one who must show how the game is played to the followers. Like I said no local support so Im stuck with my wife two kids (6,8) and my older brother, who at least did some gaming 30 odd years ago. But lets just say for now that past games are so past and so far from present that we can write them off. Start anew.
   I cant think of worser ways to start being a gamer than my current position. Not only do I have to learn the rules but also have some knowledge of all character types, to help my youngens grasp the game. And being that young I feel I should protect them from the depths of the nasties ever present in this culture. A little is fine but I do want them to sleep at night. Most comercial adventures get a little icky for what Id like to share with them. So Id rather not , at this point, outlay dollars on said items and create my own instead.
   What I think i need. Short quick adventures to keep me sane, little solo jaunts to help me understand the mechanics of the game and get my mind seeing from a players view so I can be a better DM. I have done some chat room type play but found a number of problems with this. I dont often have 2-3 hours in a sitting to spare. Every time I found the time to play no one else was available on the forum (WOTC) I think I need some solo adventures I can run thru at my own pace. 10 min here 45 min there. Flip open the laptop in the lounge (no net link there:( pull up a cup a tea and get some time in.
   I have searched, googled, haunted, dug, clambered, scratched and wallowed my way thru the net in vain looking for simple quick solo adventure PDFs or docs. I have found just about everything else, tile sets, maps, NPC wiki's, plots etc. I can pen a story, not too shabby and I have a fairly elaborate campaign running for my family. Trust me its not easy keeping the kids invloved for the lengths of time RPG takes. But its worth it, there are many aspect of RPG that is GREAT for kids.
  Ive only just found this site and there seems lots to explore and I will over time but now and then I just want to play! To stop absorbing ideas and information and just learn from playing.
oooohh help me please.
   So where am i at?
http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/twiki/bin/view/SymLife/RolePlayingGames
for more info, the why , the how  and the who I am. Hopefully you will see that I am serious, that I have tried, read, bled the game and just need a nudge :)

Ok I wrote this post 'in character' cause i got the feel from this site its a happy family and figured it might be more fun to do so.
anyone help anyone?
The runes they're ruined Ive ruined the runes.

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: once more into the breach
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »
Well, Welcome to the Citadel! I'm not sure if you will find exactly what you need here. The few games that are run on the forums are not usually in the d20 system used by WotC, thats not to say that none are. You might just be waiting a while for one to start. Only a handful of us here play D&D v.3.5 and are willing to admit it. I,for one, do play it. So if you ever want to discuss it send me a PM or join me in chat, I'm more than willing to help. I kinda know what it's like with young players. I have an 11 year old brother who is playing in a game with some of my friends. I'm running Expedition to Undermountain (New WotC release) and it's going well so far. But, yeah, welcome to Strolen's house. He's around here somewhere. This IS one big happy family, of sorts. So if you make an effort to be a part of our family I'm sure you will be greeted with open arms. So, sit, read, and have some grog and a donut. Post elsewhere too just to make a name for yourself, maybe submit something to the main page. Whatever you like, no pressure. Like is said: Welcome! ...and Good luck with all your quests!

- Pieh (thats pronounced "Pie" the "h" is silent)
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »
I'd suggest many of Moonhunters gaming articals.  We do not do mechanics very much - if you have questions about any of my subs, I'd be more then happy to provide my take on them :) Or others for that matter.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline epsilon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 09:26:50 PM »
thanks Pieh
Wise words and I am open to any system. I guess I chose 3.5 or D20 cause I had to start somewhere and it seemed to have the most info floating about.The investment in the books will see me use it for a while now at least. I admit to already breaking a few of its rules. Adding some of my kids monsters to the campaign all heaps make them feel involved. Reading there is lots of :( and having spent the last few years assimilating linux I must admit Im edgy to just play. The burden of hitting GM responsibilities full on is a little daunting. I feel I maybe asking an impossible question tho. This type of game is almost word of mouth, handed down from one to another so I am missing a vital link. I have to pick up parchments and work it out myself. (Just like an adventure itself:) one could say.
I felt that something was missing. That in my situation it would be neat to help the kids learn RPG by having quick sessions of it, Little adventures every night or so rather than the current once a month siege. I am very suprised however that they will in fact sit and play the game in 2 hour sessions. Its one of the reasons I looked into it. One of the few games they took to it like ducks to water.
I was hoping to encourage this little escapades but its looking more n more like Im going to have to write them :( another brain drain. Not that I mind but Im sure you can imagine my brain is currently fogged with rules and overloaded with the creation of a campaign. A brief respite, would have been nice. 

Ohh well ill pick up my staff and continue on my journey...reading ;)

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »
Here's a couple of compilations of shorter adventures we've got on the site.  None of the stuff is statted up, but that shouldn't be too horribly hard.

http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=3481
http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=3538

I also do d20 most of the time, so if you ever need anything, just PM me or whatnot.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 11:33:20 PM »
Welcome to the Citadel!  I hope you can find what you need.  I do have to warn you, none of the plots, NPCs, items, or whatever have stats; but that means you can make up whatever stats seem appropriate, which is not as hard as it sounds.  I play and run the D20 system (including D*D 3/3.5), so I am also quite happy to answer questions.  And as for breaking the rules...  if you're the GM, you can't break the rules.  ^^
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline epsilon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »
Thanks guys
Warning expected response about to transpire!

This site is amazing, sorry had to say it I know its clique but oooh well.
I think I mentioned something upstairs that was not quite correct. Its what I meant at the time but I have learn't since then. I mentioned learning the mechanics, I feel now that what I needed all along was the goop that forms the game from my imagination.
Reading thru the various posts and articles  has helped establish this link.
Many thanks.
Random encounters.doc for example was fantastic I could read thru those as a player and get a feel for how, I as a GM, work my idea into an encounter. Just seeing how others applied the situations helped heaps.

I have heard that GM are the rules :) but they still are under the ONE rule. That is the rules of interaction. The laws that state if you do this you will alienate the players and they wont turn up next time.. if you get my drift.
There is no true freedom, you are always under a rule its just a simple matter of shades of white.

I read on...

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:47:17 AM »
If you feel up to it, try examining some of the longer plots... Some of them (mine, I suppose) are a bit on the "epic" end of the scale, but some of them you might find quite to your use.

Aha, not to pat myself on the back, but the only submissions I can think of to suggest off the top of my head are my own, so, here you go:
http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=2728
http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=156
http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=138

Once again, sorry that those are only my submissions, but those are the only ones I could really remember at the moment
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 08:08:41 AM »
Welcome epsilon!

My spin on it:  Screw the Rules!!!  Or at least ignore, completely, most of them. Get the very basics you need to play the game and roll some dice and concentrate on the story. With any game ever played since the beginning of time, nobody will remember the exact mechanics behind anything and the mechanics certainly don't make it memorable, it is the storyline and where you go with it that makes the game. Perhaps some players remember a critical Nat 20 or perhaps a fumble, but those are the very basics of most any rule system. Know enough to get you going, but don't allow them to drive anything.

As far as quick adventures, perhaps you could try some board games to augment what you are doing. For one, Hero's Quest is a great board game with simple rules and dice throwing. Many quick adventures, easy plots, fun exploring, and can be finished in an evening. My son (7) and I play these but we don't use any ruleset, we just have dualing dice rolls (more palladium style I would suppose) and have fun interacting in the story we make up. You can easily use the hero quest adventures and then use the D20 system to run the game. Hero Quest just spells out a bunch of quick adventures and their game boards are perfect for 2hr games.

A few of your comments seem to say you are overwhelmed with the rules. Don't be, your audience of beginner and old time gamers will not care if you drop most of the rules. As you play and get comfortable with the rules, slowly add them as needed if you desire.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »
I don't mean to advertise fr WotC... but the Player's Kit and the Basic Game set are good choices for beginners. Player's Kit comes with a paperback Player's HandBook, Dice, and little pamphlets that tell you how to make characters and even has a little adventure you can run by yourself for yourself, it's not much but it's a good introduction. Also, the Basic Game: It's a adventure with pre-made characters that's really simple (Some might say too simple). I think they were made for the really new players, like 10 year olds. But they are resources none-the-less. Anyway, good luck and let me know if you need anything.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline epsilon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36:56 PM »
ok I found some great stuff on here I felt I should put something of my own. I expect is under the quality of you guys but one must start somewhere and the best place to start is to give
so I submit
flame away :)
http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=4078

Offline epsilon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:54:11 PM »
Thanks Pieh I have those books and kit, and yes Strolen I am a little overwhelmed. To be honest I went home last night dug out some plots  and encounters from your lists here and just "did it" we played two, and we played quick, not in a rush just bang your in a dungeon  a kobold comes around the corner, roll....
(12000010 Faster,Stronger,Better! A Kobold).
I think they are now understanding the how to role play. I found b4 as a GM that with most  of the audience going "what do we do now" was hard I wasnt getting little effects that a GM needs to work off of.
Its me, its ok Im working thru it :) thanks to your help.
The players wernt "playing" the barbarian ogre was too cautious. He was always asking for checks. I tried to show him that he was massive and little I had planed would bother him. Like a trap of small arrows he walked into did him 2 pts damage. Rather than the expected "Kefniv snuffles and flicks off the useless twigs with his hand and wields with the other his sword, smashing it towards the trap." reaction. I got a "see thats what happens when i go first, the thief should have gone in and tested for traps first".
and that was one of the adults :(
theyll learn ;) ill learn em or.......

thanks for the links ill look em up.