llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: formats for writing up countries  (Read 1240 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline B9anders

• Apprentice
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Systems Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Awards
formats for writing up countries
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:58:28 AM »
I enjoy reading world books and campaign settings and I am always intrigued at how different writers use different formats for writing up the nations of the setting and what they get out of it. Shadow World I find, despite giving a fair amount of space to each country dwells too much on technicalities to adequately convey the feel of a given country. Whereas the old 1980 greyhawk gazetteer gives only a short description at a quater of a page at best and often manages to convey they general impression of what the country is like very well. The 2nd forgotten realms boxed set accomplishes the same. the Talislanta (4th ed) world book seems to be a happy medium between the two giving some detail but nonetheless conveying the impression of the country very well.

Personally, I am rarely happy with how my writeups come out. I seem to spend far too many words to try and give a proper impression of a given land and I don't really want to do that. So, I present as a challenge to the good writers of Strolen:

How to most effectively do country writeups in a way that will give an impression of the country's culture and history and landmarks whilst being as short as possible.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: formats for writing up countries
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »
It is quiet, for you are asking a hard question, mister.

And I'm afraid I won't add much on the topic either. Or maybe... the only thing I remember touching it is an old MoonHunter article (tm). It is probably not the thing you ask for, but at least it could serve in extracting the vital information of a setting.

Others know surely more... anyone?
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.