llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Scrasamax's Secret Power  (Read 2222 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Scrasamax's Secret Power
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:43:29 AM »
I've noticed a few comments regarding my prolific level of submission postings. In light of such comments I had the notion to reveal the source of my power!

1. Write Fast.
This is a big one, as actually writing a submission can take the largest amount of concrete time. Spellcheck is good, as well as having a good grasp of the language as well.

2. Plan Ahead.
Most of my submissions are all but plotted out in my head well before I sit down to actually type the sub up. About a quarter of my subs are what I term oekaki. The term is generally applied to visual media but I use it in the context of a submission that is written in one sitting without pause or break. The other subs generally get notes scribbled out, some ideas are bounced around, and after some maturation time, the sub is written and submitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oekaki

3. Practice, practice, practice.
I started writing when I was a freshman in high school. That means I've been writing for somewhere in the vicinity of 1994, or 13 years. The more you do something, the better you get at it, and the more naturally it comes when you do it.

4. Diversify
Have a wide personal horizon. Don't limit yourself to the literature of the fantasy genre and the RPG console games. There is fiction beyond Tolkien and Final Fantasy. Read horror, mystery, read a romance novel or two. Sticking with the same set of books eventually leads to inbred fantasy.

5. Work at Night
This is another big one. I work at night, and my wife works during the day. That means I have a good chunk of spare time on my hands that I can use to read, watch TV, play video games, do housework, mow the lawn, and write submissions. By involving myself in something active, as opposed to passive entertainment, I am able to for a time overlook the fact that the person I love the most, I only get to see her about an hour a day, and on the weekends.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:31:17 PM by Scrasamax »

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: Scrasamax's Secret Power
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:26:29 AM »
Hey, Scras. We are impressed by your posting. You are among friends and some occasional teasing will occur. Like MoonHunter says: We are just envious. ;)

Good tips by the way! I noted quite a few hints I should pick up on!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »
I would expand on #4 slightly. Read the newspaper! That often heard quote "truth is stranger..." is true!!!

Dont just read. Go out and experience everyday life and the world. Inspiration comes from the strangest sources. Meet people, speak with them (NPCs?), visit places you havent seen before no matter how mundane they may seem (Locations?), etc...

Apply real world experiences (sights, smells, feelings, and sounds) into your writing.

Always have a notepad handy!

And if all else fails, sit down and stair at a random spot on the wall for 10 minutes. A weird idea will come!

oh and to get back to Scras' powers...I have been doing #1-4 for many, many, moons, the problem is I just dont have the same amount of free time you do  :(

and remember, if and when you have kids, they will sap your "powers" like kryptonite.  :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:44:21 AM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
Krytonite was a good song...  Friend of mine found it again just a couple a' months ago and started playing it all the time, but it just doesn't get old and I can't figure out why.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:30:11 PM »
Kryptonite is a good song! As for children being kryptonite alos, I couldn't agree more. I didn't mean to come off quite so grim...seems I was in a bit of a mood last night. Apologies!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
nothing to apologize for, you provided good tips!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »
Yes. Made me wanna write up a Kuiper Belt Space Station, but I came over it.

:p

Hehe
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
I heartily endorse #1 and #3. I have been saying those for year. As for the rest, they are true. When I was forcing myself to write a sub a day, I found myself plotting in my head and scrambling through the net for any sort of inspiration. So yes. Good job. Now go and post.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:58:35 PM »
You heard the man. Just because the Admins are all going to go have fun doesnt mean the rest of you get the weekend off!  :P

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:28:02 AM »
We are looking forward to your symposium at StrolenCon on this topic. It will follow the G2 conference and precede the V3.0 panel discussion.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
Now, while the admins are all busy having fun (curse, growl, gripe, gripe...), I can make my move to conquer the Citadel!

In a bold Coup d'etat, I can take over and make Strolen's into WULFHERE'S Citadel!!!!

Bwahahahaha! (In a barefaced attempt to win Ria's support, Wulf runs a recording of Vincent Price laughing...)
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »
Ria's out having fun with the rest of the mods...

Sorry to burst your bubble good chap, wot wot!
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
Plus not all of them have that much fun, so forget it. Coup cancelled.

Man, these childish attempts... or... wait... hmmmm, now that I think about it, "Manfred's Citadel" sounds much better! :D
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 01:06:22 AM »
I'll tell you what... Whichever one of us takes over first, the other can be his loyal minion.  If my scheme to enthrall the citadelians works, reducing them to mindless adulation, then you will have to submit to my magnificence.

In the painfully unlikely event of your achieving a similar victory, I will then be forced to submit to you.

Hmm... "Manfred, Henchman-in-Chief" has a ring to it, you'd have to admit.
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »
Wulf, his current title is  already, "Manfred, power behind the throne". So even if you take over, he will still be in charge.

Oh by the way, we are back in civilization now from the Con. We are all taking a few minutes on the computer right now, so we can ease our computer withdrawl syndromes.

Oh, some quotes:
In a flat computer voice, "Turn right. Turn right."
"Checking traffic."
"Dude your luck sucks this weekend."
"The floor does what?"
"This would make a great sub."
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »
Drat!  My plots are not yet complete!

Foiled again!
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
Um...I have to go.

What a pretty rainbow.

I really wish I had a weapon now.
GM: I know.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
*cue hidden evil laugh track*

On a somewhat off topic note, Scrasamax had some good tips here.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.