llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [found]Difficulties finding cool species name...  (Read 1813 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
[found]Difficulties finding cool species name...
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:14:18 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to find some cool names for a few species in a fantasy game. Any suggestions are welcome!

Firstly, the cat people (Khani). This race was created out of jealousy by a god. (he was jealous of the god that created humans) They will live mostly in hot, savanna-like areas, and will be (for the DnD crowd) neutral neutral. Their natural abilities are mostly in the agility and speed department. their culture is matriarchal, and their fine sense of taste and smell make them renowned cooks, as well as giving them an uncanny alchemical and herbological knowledge. Some humans have began enslaving some of these people. This has further increased their mistrust of strangers.

Secondly, the reptile people (Broanar). These being were created for the same reason as the cat people, but by a different god. They live in hot areas, from swamps to desert, and are rather close to nature. They are amphibious. They live rather chaotically, and keep themselves to themseves, although they make fantastic sailors. they are the least anthropomorphic race in the world, with strong tails, and a bouncing gait when walking (in fact they are confortable in a four legged stance and this is how they travel long distances at speed). Their underground dwelling and decaying smell from their environments have not been profitable when dealing with other races, although they are kind natured and will generally help strangers in need, even when prejudiced against. Alongside the cat people, They have a recent history of being persecuted and enslaved by some unscrupulous humans.

Thirdly, the smith people (Lol'elriathin). This race was created during a war amongst gods. They are as tall as two men, unbelievably muscular, and their purpose was to create the armour and weapons of their patron god. They do not know fear. Surprisingly, they are pacifists, who simply enjoy sublime craftsmanship, at which they excel in all discipline, form smithing to glass working. Very few of them exist, and they keep themselves well hidden, as their talents are in immense demand.  (humans call them giants, but this does not reflect their very subtle and delicate culture)

Fourthly, The dwarves-hatters (inimigo). This race is a race of goblin-like creature, who were created specifically by a chaos god to destroy the dwarves. They feel confortable in underground spaces, and unlike Dwarves, who are stocky and lumbering, they are lithe and fast. Possibly their greatest asset is their very sharp and quick intellect, which, although not superior to any other race, allows them to make the right spur-of-the-moment decisions. They move very disturbingly to other races, using their strong bony hands and prehensile feets to grip walls if needed, although they are perfectly comfortable with upright posture. Unlike what may be imagined, they do not reject technology, and are quite adept at making many sorts of fantastic, steam-driven machines. (they rely on a more "quick fix" spirit rather than a dedicated engineering discipline, and their contraptions are rather notoriously unstable)

These will be joined by the more traditional Humans, Elves, Orcs, Dwarves.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:17:40 PM by dark_dragon »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Difficulties finding cool species name...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 03:01:44 PM »
Well, the whole idea of having names that mimic animal sounds for animal races is very played out.

So, for the cat people, no "meow" sounds or anything like that, but something harsh, angular, quick, to fit with their society- Tqeer ("tuh-cheer"), Krrau, Khani, something like that

For the amphibious lizards, they might produce sounds deep in their throat like toads, so how about Groad, Klohragh, Broanar, Ggourgar, Hlaark

As for the others, just pick something and run with it, and try to make the rest of the race's language sound like the name.
Suggested for the dwarf-haters, the Ezo, the K'trath, the Volg, the Dagul, yadda yadda yadda
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Difficulties finding cool species name...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »
Thanks CP! I really like the idea of using the sound of the language. (it makes sense, and i hit my forehead very hard when you actually mentioned it!)

Khani! yeah! that sounds really cool.

The Hlaark (with aspired H) sounds great too! (although I think i'll end up using Broanar, since my pronunciation isn't quite up to saying Hlaark without messing it up)

I think too that I have decide that the smith people will have a flowing tongue more associated with elvish, with a name which is something like Lol'elriathin. Due to their natural attraction to pure aesthetics, Their voice will be unnaturally ephemeral, like "whispers of  the windswept grass" And each utterances will be a poem in its own right, reducing the toughest and meanest human warrior berserker to tears simply by the beauty of their speech. (which is ironic when they are simply asking each other what is being cooked for dinner) But i see their entire culture revolving around material beauty and perfection. (not in the self, but in what is being crafted, or created, such as a sword or poem), so a language such as this seems appropriate.

The dwarf haters are a harder bunch to name, though, I can see them being incorrectly called Spider-kin because of their mode of locomotion, which appears to be similar to a skittering spider, but I was leaning towards the Inimigo (which sounds similar to enemy, so it fits.).

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

dark_dragon
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick