llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Homecomings (Chap III)  (Read 42938 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Homecomings (Chap III)
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
"Well, oops might not be sufficent for this one..."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »
Vee let himself into Zelmundt's hidden tower to claim the cache of notes the legendary and cantankerous scholar had compiled. He would have time to pour over the notes on the trip to Jantir, to hunt after Havvik and Geltalia. He gathered the notes into a non-descript satchel and left the tower, locking the doors behind him as he left. No reason to leave the place open. Loaded with coin and the notes, Vee returned to Widow Hannin's boarding house. There was loot to split, and plans to be laid.

(OOC - no idea what he will see, and I strive to be less tardy!!!)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 10:56:47 PM by Scrasamax »

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »
Some Time Earlier...

After her dear husband, Hakkar, had passed away, Widow Hannin's life hadn't been easy.  There were plenty of people who thought they could take advantage of a lonely old woman, but she had kept her integrity and managed to pull through.  Integrity could be a cold companion, but it was the only companion she had. 

Looking across her desk at her grim-faced visitor, the widow composed her unresponsive features into a mask of benevolent ignorance.  "Gods bless ye sir, I ha'n't seen that Keykold fella' in years.  Sure'n I have some young bucks that dweel'n beneat' my roof, but I run an honest house!  I'll ne' keep scoundrels here!"

Ignoring her, the man tore the ledger out of the widow's hands.  As his grimy finger traced the recent entries, he turned to a lanky man in the doorway.  "Jirie, she's only let out three rooms in the last few days," then turned back toward the widow.  "We'll be no trouble, madam.  It should only take a few minutes to satisfy our employer's curiosity."

The pair headed up the stairs, the Atkinshire brooches on their cloaks gleaming dully.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:12:06 PM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »
In the mysterious room, the mystified mages looked at each other in bafflement.  The place seemed ordinary enough, but none of them had ever seen it before.  Delsordo seemed frustrated:  The mute warrior was trying to communicate, but his limited repertoire of gestures didn’t give him the signs he needed.

Suddenly, Mouse rushed into the room, slamming the door and throwing its bolt.  The nervous young man was also eager to be understood.  Gesticulating wildly, he twice made a sign the others recognized as “enemy”.  Pointing to the door, the boy moved behind Delsordo.
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
"Whatever it is you're trying to explain, do it with a sword out facing the door." Dujek grumbled as he backed up.  Dropping his pack, he started digging through it, searching for some of the more virulent of the poisons they'd gotten from the cleric.

(OOC: Do I run the risk of poisoning myself when I apply poisons in 1/2e?)
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
Kadarin stepped over and grabbed the lead box from Delsordo.  Void of spells, and having nothing to call a decent weapon, he would at least see what was inside the box, or use it as a club at least.  What is inside!!!

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »
Delsordo clearly didn't want to hand back the box, but he made no effort to stop the insistent mage.  Pulling the box from him, Kadarin flipped it open, revealing four small bundles wrapped in damp parchment.  An unfamiliar scent wafted from the container as he opened it, reminiscent of forest lichens.

Pulling one of the bundles open, a clot of dark, mossy material was revealed within.  Before Kadarin could investigate further, the room's door was savagely kicked open.  Two cloaked men stood in the narrow hallway outside:  The first was a tall, sunburned man clutching a short sword, while the other intruder was a grim-looking rogue with a nasty scar along his hairline.  The shorter man's ear was a cauliflower mass of scarred tissue, half-hidden beneath his disheveled hair.

The shorter man's voice sounded much like a dog's growl as he gestured with his longsword.  "Where is Vee Keykold?  Tell me quick, or I'll...."  A confused expression briefly crossed the man's face, soon overcome by a look of guarded paranoia.

"Who are you?  Where am I?  You look like magicians; what did you do to me?" the man asked, his angry voice growing fearful.

A soft noise escaped the mossy package, like a gentle sigh.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:59:24 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
Something was odd about these contents...

Whatever they were seemed to befuddle one's mind. Spores? No matter, the situation at hand demanded attention.

"We have done nothing to you," a pause, "yet. " Kadarin emphasizing the 'yet'.  "As for this Vee, I do not know of this person, but he seems popular - you are not the first to come seeking him this day.  However, I am quite unhappy with your intrusion and would like you to leave.  Now.", Kadarin said while rubbing his ring in a pointed manner.

<ooc since Kadarin has not had the time to put the brain-wiping moss back in the container, it will go into the face of the intruder if he attacks...>

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2008, 05:55:51 PM »
*Dujek growls*

OOC: :D not much I can think of doing.  Kad already threatened them, and I'm still looking for a poison in my bag...
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »
Ever the rogue, Vee made for the stairs leading up to the room that he and the others shared. The Duke's ears were more open than he expected and he would have to make some apologies, both to the Widow Hannin and to Dujek, and Kadarin. He slunk to the side of stairs, doing his best to remain unnoticed, hiding among the bric-a-brac shoved in that corner and the shuffle of patrons through the common room. He tilted his head to listen, there were no sounds of fighting, and if the men didnt find him there was no reason for them to get physical. If they did, well, he had learned some tricks from the last time he quarreled with the Duke's men.

(OOC - hide in shadows and Listen check)

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2008, 10:22:36 PM »
The taller man gestured to his bellicose leader, signalling for the befuddled man to back away.  "Sorry we disturbed you," he muttered insincerely as he drew the shorter man back from the doorway.  The two men stumbled warily back down the stairs.

Hidden in the shadows, Vee overheard the pair's ignominious retreat.  As the two Atkinshire partisans passed by, he could make out snippets of their conversation.

"... were coming for him.  He won't be taken unawares,"  muttered the lanky intruder.

"You should've shared what you learned with his Excellency!" responded his shorter ally.

"I did!  Those warlocks did something to your memo..."

...And then the duo passed from his hearing.
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »
"Shut that thing, quickly.  And you, you idiot, where under Sama's ublinking eye did you manage to send us?"  Looking around the room, Dujek saw the loot that he'd been working on, as well as some of his personal effects.  His face contorted, the confusion he'd been in a moment before deepening, and then it passed, to be replaced by an odd look in his eyes.

How much did we forget though?

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
"I'm starting to suspect we went nowhere, if the effect on those near'do wells is any indication.  This appears to simply purge one's memories, though for how far back I have no idea - or if I did I forgot", a smirk.  "This would be far more useful if it were more selective in the memories wiped."

"We should arrange some better security in case those louts develop a backbone and come back."

<ooc And I think I have figured out, oog, what is in here as well.. Hmm. Memory moss....>

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
Once the nefarious henchmen of the Duke were out of sight, Vee slipped up the stairs to make sure that his companions were okay. He reached their door and gave a light rap on the doorframe

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »
It didn't take long for his associates to bring Vee up to speed.  It appeared that their memories of the previous day had been stolen, leaving them with no memory of entering the city.  Delsordo and Mouse had avoided the effect, but werent sure how.

Questioning revealed that Delsordo had seen a box like that one before.  He hadn't seen the box itself, but another cast with a similar pattern.
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
"So, our disembowled damsel had a box of forget huh?" Vee said with a cool distain that was almost all bluff. He didnt want to think about the dead woman by the road, or the way her horse smelled after it had been ripped open and killed. "That could be valuable."

"I don't like that the Duke's thugs were here this quickly, someone tipped them off that I was back in town, and they knew where I was staying." Vee scowled. "Some of the merchants had recognized him, but none said a word, but none of them would have known where he was staying, he briefly pondered getting back in touch with the Clockknockers, the Nimzian thieve's guild, but he was about a year late with his dues, might not be a good time to pop back up. He scowled again.

"This was alot easier when all I worried about was whose skirts I would be tossing and how far I dive into my cups."

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
"Well then, perhaps it is best that we moved on, though myself and Dujek would be better off with some time to study.  Perhaps you should do something to change your appearance.  Oh, and who exactly is this Duke?  To have that title already suggests a possible foe with lots of resources."

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:05:29 AM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2008, 11:49:35 AM »
"The Duke rules the township of Atkinshire, his title is bit high handed, but he is wealthy, invests in the Nimzian arts, and makes sport of campaigning through the Judgelands hunting and killing brigands, orcs, and monsters." Vee said, scratching at the weeks of hair on is chin and cheeks. He was used to being clean shaven but the rogue hadnt had a chance to shave since leaving Ganse. "He is influential and powerful, a maverick of sorts but his wife is a darling of the Nimzian court. Lady Gemma is a patron of the arts and almsgiver. Without her, he might have since been demoted somewhat."

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
"Influential and powerful is not the description I'd like to have as an enemy.  They knew enough to seek you here, and doubtless they will come back again with help to do a more through search..."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
"Agreed, and they will likely be back soon. The duke has no great affection for magi or rogues, so it might be in our own best interest to move along...promptly. If nothing else, we should locate to another inn, no need in bringing chaos down on widow Hannin. If an inn is going to be trashed, I'd rather it not be this one."

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »
"Agreed, though I'd personally prefer to deal with this  Baron not at all, or with excessive force, whichever one presents itself as the most effective strategy."

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2008, 11:51:38 PM »
"I would prefer no force. His fist is rather large, but his reach is limted. I should think ir prudent to gather our spoils such as they are, and make for Jantir. Thorn is still out there, getting away, and he has Geltalia, Fameister, and the corpse of Havvoc. I bring them back, two rescues and a sack of meat and I might get the proverbial noose off of my neck." Vee said. He was now starting to itch to leave Nimz...at least for a bit longer.

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
"Okay, then we leave, though I would still appreciate the opportunity for rest.  Still, no time like the present.
Speaking of corpses, we still have ", a pause, " hers to attend to.  Whats your thoughts on this?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
"I can leave word with Widow Hannin and leave her the lead box, or you can keep it for yourself. I don't care either way about it." Vee said. "I do care about getting away from here for the time being. You're not a wanted man, and I hope for all of your sakes you never become one."

"I've got some coin to split, and then we can get our things and be on our way."

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »
"Well, lets leave the body to the widow.  Without us she'd have been unburied -it seems we have no time to do more then that."

Kadarin did not mention the box. It may prove quite useful, once he figured out how to handle it safely.

"Lets go!"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®