llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reckonings (Chap III)  (Read 17965 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Reckonings (Chap III)
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:23:50 PM »
<GM POST FOR AEREX, VORODON, TALIA GOES HERE TOMORROW>
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Reckonings (Chap III)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:50:15 PM »
The road was brown with late winter slush, as Talia, Aerex, and Vorodon made their way across the hilly roads, leading up to Ganse. For the most part, the trio was quiet and contemplative, six days removed from the battle with the opprobrious wizard of St. Senren’s Monastery. The glassmakers, what remained of them, after the half-ogre and inspector came upon and released Alzamus’ prisoners, were greatful to the motley band, for rescuing them from the insidious yoke of the mysterious mage-conqueror.

And that year, new passages were added to the pages of St. Senren’s Wisdoms, the great book the glassmakers held scribed in, as their ancestors did before them. It was written of the coming of Alzamus, and of the brave heroes who liberated the keep, and Neverdead, as the monks dubbed Aethelstan, Andur's Avenger. The monks feasted the heroes two straight days, before the band split up and headed out into the snows once more.

Little could brighten Vorodon’s mood after the half-ogre found Bross’ remains. His temper darkened, as the days passed, and seeing the normally light-hearted warrior in such disposition, convinced the Bladedancer and Inspector Aerex Matare to accompany the Volgottor back to Ganse, yet again, putting their own plans on hold, this time with a reckoning on their minds.

Aerex bared contempt for the salacious ‘rogue’ guards, and after fully understanding Vorodon’s tale of Bross, Maegla, her rape, her unborn child, and Hepple Farax’ vile roll in this drama, the Inspector was as angry as Vorodon. Justice would pay Ganse a visit this winter, he thought.

Talia, for her part, found herself thinking more and more of her father, in dreams, and in her waking state. Jantir, where Aerex hailed form, she thought, as well as my father. Perhaps she would stick with him, and see the big city. It wasn’t too difficult a decision for her either, to accompany Vorodon back to Ganse. The look on the Matare’s face, when she agreed to travel with the pair of avengers, said it all. He could barely hide his joy, she smiled inwardly, as she trudged through the snow with her two companions. Aerex for his part, she mused, had not made his obvious (to her anyway) feelings known. Perhaps it was for the best, she reasoned, the trio now had ‘wet work’ on their minds.

For his part, Aerex wrestled with his new found infatuation in silence, as he travelled. But do as he might, the platinum-haired beauty by his side, consumed his thoughts.

The three friends skirted the last hillock, and saw Ganse come into view, the dirty snow adding a further pall to already decrepit town. Vorodon could make out wooden works, carved wooden spikes, rolled out on troughs, poking through the sodden earth around the wall of the town. It was late winter, but it was still winter, and though the cold-hating gnolls and bandits were gone now from surrounding wilderness, winter foes still abounded, mostly wolves, both mundane and dire. Perhaps the spikes were meant to deter the hungry lupines from attempting to scale the shoddy town wall.

It mattered little; there was a reckoning on the trio’s mind. Sleepy Ganse lay before them once more, and the three companions neared the closed gate. Two half-helmed heads and pikes could now be seen above the portcullis. Sentries, Aerex tensed. The trio wouldn’t apparently stroll back into town unannounced. Ganse was closed for winter, the expression on the faces of the two bored looking gate-guards seemed to suggest.

Somewhere in the distance, starving wolves began to howl. It was near dusk now.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:53:41 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »
Talia looked up at the guards.  They had to get in to town somehow, and the others were not likely to be civil about it.  Plus, from what she'd heard, a woman might have better luck to begin with now.  Fortunately, the cold meant that they were wrapped up, and maybe they could take the city guards by surprise.  She pulled her hood off and and shook her hair out a little, then called up, "Are you going to open the gate for us, or leave us for the wolves, hmm?" 
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
"Its you! Slayer of bandits!", one of the guards dumbly called down, watching Talia's blazing mane cascade around her shoulders.

"There be wolves, and there be wolves, sweets, come inside, and I will howl for you..and maybe make you howl as well, eh love?", the other guard chimed in unimpressivley, though he himself was impressed with his own cleverness.

"And who is with you, princess?" the first spoke again, eyeing the two cloaked and hooded figures behind the Bladedancer (one particularly beefy).

Something about the way he said princess, made Talia want to silence him permanently with a flick of her wrist, yet she stayed silent momentarily.

After some hemming and hawing the gate began to open, creaking on its rusted hinges as it did.

Entry wasnt difficult, the rest would be she thought, as the three companions made their way inside the town walls. The guards were too bored to care or give her or her companions any more hassle.

Back in Ganse...again. The streets were covered with a mix of sleet and mud, quiet...queiter than usual. Ganse was in winter mode.

The three proceeded down the now familiar main thouroughfare.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 07:06:49 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:05:53 PM »
As the group entered the village, Talia shook her head.  Once out of earshot of the guards, she muttered, "Oh, this is going to be fun.  Ugh."

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »
"What is it?" Aerex asked, peering at the ancient stele.

"I've never noticed it before," the monk said, holding the torch aloft.  "I noticed it this afternoon after clearing the snow off of the peas."  His brow furrowed.  "By Andur, it wasn't there before..."

"Druidic it certainly is," Henge said quietly, cocking his head at the stone.  "Read the runes I cannot... but very old they are.  A shrine it may be, a protective cairn perhaps."

Aerex rubbed his chin.  "Protective, huh?  Seems it popped up just in time."

Henge shrugged.  "Be careful with it would I, Inspector.  Old and deep runs druidic magic.  Toying with it unwise may be."

Aerex glanced back at him, cocking an eyebrow.  "I don't toy, my friend.  I investigate..."

Aerex snuck out before dawn the next morning. 
Someone needed to investigate it.  Lantern in hand, he examined the stone.  The rune lines were intricate, delicate, easily beyond any chisel work.  What could have made them?  Why did it appear now.  Slowly, he reached out with a gloved hand...

"A light, you say?  And sound?"

Aerex nodded.  Henge had seen the flash of light and found the inspector unconscious on in the garden.  "Yeah, it was... strange.  Like light coming down through treetops.  And I heard wind and- animal noises?  Something like that."

The druid paced, chin in hand.  "How feel you?  Weak?  Tired?"

Matare blinked.  "No, actually.  I feel... strong.  Everything's sharper.  I mean, light, sound, smell...  I can see a jackdaw in that white pine a kilometer away."  He gave a snorting laugh.  "I have no idea why I know that's a jackdaw or a pine or that it's a kilometer away, but I know I never would have seen that before.  They don't teach botany in constabulary academy."

Henge nodded.  "Heard of this have I, but never seen.  A guardian shrine that was.  Create a protector of the forest it does, for times of danger.  Triggered by Alzamus' presence it must have been."  He looked Aerex over.  "Chosen you it has.  A guardian of the forest you shall be."

Aerex swallowed.  "So... am I a druid now?"

"Druid?  No," he said simply.  "But new talents you may find.  Best served in the outdoors you may be."

Matare scratched his head.  "Outdoors?"  He never really liked the outdoors before.  Though he did feel a strange sensation to explore outside...

Aerex gave both the guards a glare as he passed, snorting out a trail of steamy breath.  "Idiots," he muttered under his breath.  "Wouldn't make it past training in Jantir."  Though the remark was whispered, he secretly hoped the guards heard it.  The investigator was feeling different after the events at the monastery.  The hike over the cold wilderness was more refreshing than he expected, the hoary landscape and open air breathing a freshness into his soul.  Things weren't just feeling different, he realized: they were feeling better.

He couldn't say the same for his companion.  Vorodon's mournful and mostly silent mood panged his own heart.  He'd seen lost friends too, close brothers in arms.  For the cause to be treachery had to be more than overwhelming for the Volgottor.  Along the way, Matare's mind fought over the question: vengence or justice?  Now, walking through the rusted gates of Ganse, his mind was set.  The two were one in the same.

Aerex looked at Talia.  By the Dynast, is she beautiful, he thought.  "Don't mind them," he murmured, leaning in to her ear.  "Remember, this is Ganse in the winter.  They won't see a woman until the last frost; they're working in all the chauvinism they can until then."  He smirked before leaning back and stretching.  Do I...? No, I couldn't, he thought to himself.  Well, I might.  I mean, it could work.  Well, maybe.  Maybe probably.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 03:05:03 AM »
No scout he was nor ranger, and certainly not one of the emperor's bloodhounds. Still, to follow a trail faint and fading his task was.
The musk of the city could not mask the fresh air of winter, nor could its walls keep out the chill. Still, what the town apparently managed to quite well, was to keep out any seeming of noblesse, avoid cobbled streets and invoke the image of a necropolis: the streets bereft of life and song, only sometimes, there, stumbled along, a guard or citizen, of a zombie resemblant.

Kyrian wondered whether this township had ever been a stop on the voyage of a knight, a waystone on his quest, but his doubts about such a possibility were many.

Whistling under his hood, the familiar heavy feel of the Carmine Rose in his hand, he strode down the street, eyeing anything suspicious, not that there was much to eye. Herald followed him like a faithful hound, the prints of his heavy hooves filling with murky water soon after his passing.

Fidgeting with a silver, he knew not where to spend it. Why, in the -cities-, taverns announced themselves with song and clamor! He had to smile under his visor. This was certainly the right town after all, a place for a villain to hide.
While at first he thought of hiding the golden rose on his - once vibrantly red - cloak, Kyrian decided against it. Why, if the villain came to him, he'd have less work. A certain amount of attention was certainly good. An Fortuna, while an erratic strumpet, would surely lead him to occurences of interest, as was her way.

Noticing a small band of travellers in the muddy street, a lover's pair and their huge guardian, he approached. Perhaps they might know where to stay without inviting an army of fleas, lice and other overly eager and hungry tenants.
Raising his armored right, Kyrian saluted leisurely, as not to scare the commoners with an overly brusque manner:
"Hail, and the Emperors blessing upon thee! Might you, perchance, posses the knowledge of a place secluded, where one might hear a few bard's tales and have a cup of wine, before withdrawing to a chamber clean and warm?"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:07:14 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 03:30:40 AM »
Talia blinked at the man who addressed them.  That was... unexpected.  "Are you one of those crazy people?"  It was the first thing that came to mind, but it probably wasn't the smartest thing to say.  She shook her head.  "I... don't think... Ganse has much in the way of entertainment."  She glanced at Aerex.  She didn't know who this red-cloaked fool was, but he could probably complicate things. 

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 03:49:16 AM »
Kyrian had to laugh, and laugh hard at that. His times in the streets were not so long ago as to be forgotten. He laughed at himself, and then bowed, the red plume of his helmet tracing a shining crescent through the air as the water upon it caught stray torch light.
"Kyrian's the name, a knight I be. All I look for is a tavern or inn, for though crazy, even I do not wish to lay my head in the mud tonight. Is that too much to ask for, or is 'are you crazy' a local greeting? If so, then a hearty 'are you crazy?' to you too."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 04:02:30 AM »
Talia gritted her teeth.  A knight.  Perfect.  Well, that was a nice kink in the plan to kill the resident officer.  And she didn't imagine that he'd be very pleasant company; past experience did not cast knights in a terribly favorable light.  Her manner altered, becoming considerably colder to him.  "We're hardly local, so your time is wasted asking us," she said shortly.  "We have things to be doing."

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 05:55:38 AM »
"There are a few local taverns at your disposal, Sir Knight," Aerex said in a measured tone, watching Talia out of the corner of his eye.  He could sense the gypsy warrior was ready to relieve the knight of his head at a moment's notice.  If he were to get in the way of their current quest, things would go awry quickly.  But, Aerex thought, knights are known to be moved by chivalry.  What's more chivalrous than just vengence?  The thoughts, days ago anathema, seemed natural to him now.

"I'm not sure you'll find much in the way of bards or entertainment in Ganse this time of year, though.  She's a small town as it is, and practically hibernates during the winter."  He looked over the knight.  "What brings you to here anyway?  Ganse isn't exactly a top destination for errantry and chivalry."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 08:41:45 AM »
Kyrian was already turning away from the obnoxious wench to go and seek a shelter on his own, when her consort spoke, in genuine Jantir accent, none-the-less. Swiveling on the spot, he examined the man. Why would anyone from the navel of the world travel away from the pulse of life, exotic women and the never-dark nights of the heart of the Empire? Given his ragged countenance, and recent signs of combat, the questioner certainly was no wealthy recluse, nor imperial agent in disguise. Outlaw? Maybe. Fleeing from his debts? Perchance.

"Ah, what brings a knight anywhere? Duty, a possibility for great deeds, the chase after a damsel abducted and monsters to be slain; the wish to put our neck at risk for ungrateful peasantry and spill our blood in lieu of the meek is what others might name our folly!"
A full-hearted laugh escaped his lungs.
"Certainly, -your- fair damsel is in no need of rescue, so, if you excuse me, my faithful steed needs a warm stable and I myself a thick broth."
Tired of trudgin through the mud, Kyrian leapt into the saddle. "Carry me a little further, Herald, if I may impose."

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »
Vorodon remained silent as his friends bantered with the strange knight.  He had said little since they had left the monastery, trudging through the miserable winter.  As unpleasant as it was, the bleak weather suited his mood:  He wanted to suffer, to let the chill of the journey drive his mind away from the emptiness within him.

The miserable humans of the cities called the hill folk barbarians; they thought the Volgotoi monstrous, and yet no Volgottir that Vorodon had ever met would be so treacherous as to attack the chosen mate of one of his companions.  None would be so cowardly that he would betray his own steading to conceal his betrayal.  He might kill his rival fairly, but he’d never stab him in the back.  That sort of trick was for women.

And yet, this place, this human town, was full of treachery.  The only way that Vorodon had survived this long was through practicing lies and deceit that even a female would blanch at.  Was this how “civilized folk” lived?  He wasn’t sure how they would deal with the Leftenant, but he knew that he was tired of half-truths and deceptions.  Who could they trust?

The man’s amused comment roused Vorodon from his grim reverie like a bell ringing.  "Ah, what brings a knight anywhere? Duty, a possibility for great deeds, the chase after a damsel abducted and monsters to be slain; the wish to put our neck at risk for ungrateful peasantry and spill our blood in lieu of the meek is what others might name our folly!"

Perhaps this chance meeting wasn’t chance after all!  The odd, brightly-cloaked figure before them was a stranger to Ganse, as Vorodon and his companions had recently been.  More importantly, those who styled themselves “knights” supposedly despised falsehood and treachery.  If he was what he appeared, he might be willing to aid them in their quest to free the people of this town from the degrading touch of Hepple Farax and his ilk.

“Knight come!  Vorodon Volgottir bring for to Inn, not too much bugs!  Stayvle fretty destreer good stayvle. Vorodon talk stor’r for to knight.”  Vorodon exclaimed.

The man sat in puzzled silence, clearly attempting to decipher Vorodon’s surprising oration, so the hulking warrior added, “Fretty horse! Come get destreer from cold!”

Together, they headed for shelter against the winter night.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:45:31 PM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
Well, for a change, the huge warrior's accent was none Jantir ever heard, and Kyrian struggled to make out words at first. Herald, on the other hand, heard the one relevant word: stable.
Before Kyrian could give the command, the huge charger headed after the Volgottoi's muscular frame, following the magic word that signalled the end of a day.

Freeing the steed of its armor and repaying its faithful service with a rub to get the ice out of its fur, and a warm blanket to keep it comfortable, Kyrian bowed and presented it with a bucket of oat and apples, wit hthe occassional carrot thrown in.

"Now, if I may, I shall dine as well."

He entered the bar, examined the patrons with a casual glance, and sat at the table where the haggard band had gathered, took one chair to support his knightly behind, and one to hold his tired legs. Comfortable, he finally freed himself of his helmet, letting his mane breathe again, and flipped it back as to get it out of his face and let it catch a little air, and regain some of its volume. The metal rings and beads woven into it tingled slightly as he turned towards the serving wench, tossing a silver towards her decollettage. "Will you feed a hungry knight, milady?"

Then, to the band he turned, raising a sole eyebrow and flashing a smile of his pearl teeth, ever the player. "What would -you- have of me, then?"

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »
Talia quietly seethed as the others made up to the knight.  This will be nothing but trouble...  He's probably just as bad as the others, arrogant as hell.  Chivalry, my foot.  Talia removed herself from the knight's presence as soon as she could, getting a room of her own, and went to get cleaned up.  She didn't mind the dirt of travel so much, but the fastest way to get the problem here taken care of was if she played bait.  She found Aerex, and whispered to him, "I'm going to see if I can't find him.  The sooner we get out of this town, the better."

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
Aerex's eyes darted furtively.  "Be quick," he murmured.  "Try not to attract too much attention.  And see if any of your friends are still around, we may need a safehouse before the day is through."  As she stepped away, Aerex touched her on the shoulder.  She paused.  "And be careful, Talia," he added, looking her in the eye.  In an instant he turned, shifted the brim of his hat over his eyes, and walked toward the bar.

Nodding to the bartender, Aerex wordlessly tapped two coppers on the table and passed them across the bar.  "I don't mean to be abrupt, Sir Knight, but we too have a quest to attend to.  If we find ourselves in need of your chivalrous services, we'll be in touch."  The bartender placed a mug of ale on the bar in front of Aerex, eyeing him cautiously.  Matare took the mug, raised it to the knight, and walked off to a corner table.

"Keep a low profile, Voro," he murmured as he passed the Volgottor.  "We need to be very careful."  A bad feeling stuck in Aerex's gut.  He hoped it was just a side effect of the druid shrine, but he had a hunch that it wasn't.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
Koron’s Cup was quiet that night, yet the innocuous townfolk, showed only mild surprise at the unexpected entrance of several of the Adventurers-Upon-Return, perhaps a bit jaded by the only too recent events, and the equally recent departure of the carnival of freaks.

Stares were cast at Talia and Vorodon, but the new “knight”, the group had in tow, garnered the most attention. At the moment, Kyrian was busy flirting with a cow-eyed bar maid, and ordering a seeming feast.  

Only Aerex was somewhat inconspicuous, as he looked up from his mug, rushed over to the suddenly departing Talia, and then just as quickly returned to a dark corner of the creaking tavern.

A strong gust picked up outside, wailing, and threatening to tear down the decrepit drinking establishment with some fervor. Several of the regulars broke out into song, attempting to drown out the incessant wind. A crude miner’s chant, featuring heavy doses of raunchy lyrics and foot stomping bravado, picked up in volume as dusk turned into night.

Outside, her cloak wrapped tightly around her, Talia slowly, but steadily made her way down the lonely streets. A donkey cart laden with half-rotted turnips, most likely being brought forth from some winter cellar, made its way along the road, steered by a old woman. Talia briefly glanced the woman’s way, but the old crone ignored her. It was then, looking past the woman, that Talia noticed something along one of the street-side stores, and approached for a better look, the wind whipping around her, as she made her way.

There, flapping in the breeze, were several posters and signs, nailed into the side of a rickety pawnshop wall. One poster in particular caught her attention.

REWARD!

50 GP, for any information leading to the capture or whereabouts of one Aerex Matare, former partner and confidante of one, Jervoe, Gnoll-Lover.

The brazen thief stands barely five and a half feet, wears a hat of the empire, and carries a sabre. He may however be disguised. He was last seen leaving town, heading north, with his companions, a woman with striking white hair, and a gruesome barbarian ogre!

The list of crimes and offenses this imposter has perpetrated is lengthy and extensive. Among other offenses, the thief is hereby charged with banditry, murder, treachery, and theft. Be not swayed by the black-heart’s recent capture and delivery of Jervoe. The thief was in league with the bandit-lord, and merely betrayed his fellow, slew him, and came to Ganse to collect the reward. He is further charged with no less than breaking into the compound of the brave and noble Gansian Guard, and stealing from its coffers.

Approach the thief with great caution. A mindless brute, and the woman, who is most dangerous of all, serve him. She however, is not charged with any crime at this time. The ogre, as all good citizens know, is too stupid by half, and is most likely capable of only the most base of misdeeds, without the murdering thief’s direction.

Any information from you, good citizens of Ganse, will surely lead to the capture of this scoundrel, and you will thus be rewarded. Report any sightings to Sergeant Gruvett of the Nightwatch.

Talia read the strangely illogical notice, and wondered why the guards let the trio in so easily earlier. What exactly was going on here, she wondered?

As if on cue, a half-dozen guardsmen, their usual pike-clanging subdued by several inches of snow covering the thoroughfare, were making their way past her, in the general direction of Koron’s Cup. She had spied them from the corner of her eye, and did not turn at their passing. Hooded, against the night’s wind, she did not stand out or catch the guards’ attention. Slowly, they moved on.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:38:24 AM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 11:35:22 PM »
Talia hesitated for a moment.  Did she go back and warn the others, or track down Hepple on her own while most of the city guard was elsewhere?  She shook her head.  There was going to be a fight, that much was clearly unavoidable.  But for once, she'd like the fight to be on their terms.  And while she felt insulted by the wanted poster, Aerex was the one it focused on, and he deserved the chance to maintain his honor.  She tore the notice down, and tucked it into a pocket.  There was a cross-alley that would let her get back to Koron's Cup fast, and she quickly found it.

She got back as soon as she could, and made for the back door.  Hopefully she could get to Aerex before anyone started anything, and they could get out of the tavern without a fuss.

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 01:58:45 AM »
The elven knight clearly had his mind on more important things, such as the fetching wenches that brought the ravenous warrior one plate after another, but Vorodon refused to let that stop him.  Stubbornly, he related the sordid tale of betrayal:  How “Leftenant” Hepple Farax had wronged his loyal guardsman and preyed upon the dull-witted warrior’s innocent wife.  Wrath, relentless and unyielding, rose again in him as he spoke of the man’s treachery and lies.

“Longyear agone, Vorodon good friend Bross, in Army of Duke.  Bross army geertok… buddy me!”  Vorodon explained.  He tactfully avoided mentioning what a bonehead Bross had been, since the poor fellow was dead.  “Bross come for to Ganse, join guard.  Bross hear guard of Ganse hard work never, so good for Bross.”

“But Bross find mate for to Ganse, pretty… blind nice lady.  Lady fabo big geertokGeertok keep lady warm, cook good.  Want no tell no one take mate.  Bross no tell, but Leftenant Heffel Far’aax guess.  Leftenant Heffel Far’aax bad man for to Ganse guard, Bross leftenant.  Tohl Far’aax lie like woman.  Leftenant and mans attack Bross, try murder, but hide faces.”  A grimace crossed the massive warrior’s features as he remembered Maegla’s tale of deceit and treachery.

“Bross no deaded.  Bross Volgottir!  Volgottir no easy deaded, even goombrain like Bross.  He see day next for in work, Leftenant injured.  Bross not know, just want think time.  After Leftenant say for to Bross: Go with Imperial Forpessor long time go.  Forpessor go greet cliffs, maybe far."

Vorodon lowered his voice, for this part of the tale was for the elf's ears only.  “Bross go, then Leftenant raffe… attack lady no see.  Lady tell Vorodon.  Vorodon helf nice lady go hide with meat go people.”

The hill warrior's voice rose as he declared his grim resolution:  “Vorodon for to Ganse:  Leftenant from woman trait friends NO MORE!  Vorodon make stop!  MAKE STOP!”  The half-breed shouted as he pounded his fist into the table. 

As he gulped down a swig of the tavern’s salty ale, Vorodon could see that people all over the room were staring at him, some in confusion, some with a look of apprehension on their faces.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:29:18 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »
We are against him. Barracks. Nine in total. Feast. Friends at gate. Will you act? Barkeep spy.

Aerex read the note for a third time, and frowned in thought.

Minutes earlier, six guards had entered Koron’s Cup. Talia had beaten them back to the tavern, entering through the alley-door, but it was too late to ‘quickly withdraw’, when seconds later the tavern doors swung open, and the men of the Town Watch entered. Aerex and Talia tensed, but the guards seemed to ignore them, straddling up to the long, warped, wooden bar instead and ordering ‘Wet Bread’, a thick, black beer, that oozed rather than poured. The six announced that they were off-duty to anyone within earshot, and lost themselves in their libations, lamenting some lost wager or unfortunate game of dice. The guards’ entry had broken the spell Voro’s loud exclamations held over the staring patrons. The half-ogre momentarily quieted, to see who had entered the inn.

Despite this passive entrance, Aerex and Talia had to give Vorodon piercing stares to keep the Volgottor, who had not been ‘right’ ever since finding Bross’ corpse, from ‘aggressively’ and immediately approaching the guards.

Minutes passed, as the companions tried to remain calm, well, Talia and Aerex were, Voro stood noticeably simmering, while Kyrian, the loudest voice in the tavern, serenaded the homely, but shapely hostess with ribald tales of guts and glory.

Off to carve the snow”, mumbled one of the guards finally, and as he lurched forward and back to relieve himself outside, he passed the rigid Aerex, and set down his mug. Inside the empty cup was the note.

Aerex looked up at he barkeep. Strange, after reading the pseudo-cryptic note, the old, balding man behind the counter began to look suspicious to Matare. Moments ago, he looked innocuous.

Kyrian peeled with a roll of laughter suddenly, and the tavern hostess lurched and doubled over with mirth. Whatever the feline knight said to her, sent her bosom heaving and quivering with glee.

For a moment the tension broke, then the other five guards rose and left the tavern as quickly as they came, a bit drunker seemingly, and having left a hefty tip, leaving Jisso the Bald, the barkeep…smiling.
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »
Aerex watched the last of the guards leave, then looked back at the note.  "Will you act?"  The inspector felt sweat gather under his hat.

Raising his eyebrows slightly, he slid the letter on the table to Talia.  Slouching back in his chair, Matare placed his hand over his mouth and rubbed the growing stubble.  "It sounds like a trap," he murmured.  "But if it's a trap, Farax had to know we were coming.  There's no way he could have known.  Maybe it's authentic."  He reached for his mug and took a deep quaff of ale.  It tasted bitter, weak.  I guess rangers don't like ale, he noted.  "Whatever we do, I reckon it should be swift.  Something's definately up."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
Talia read the note, frowning.  "It sounds like a trap.  It probably is a trap," she muttered.  "But it might explain why they didn't make a fuss when they let us in.  At any rate, let's get out of here.  I don't want to stay here."  She prodded the Volgottor.  "Come on, Voro.  Let's go."

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 02:14:27 AM »
Distracted by the waitress and his plate, Kyrian was no good listener, yet still - certain words struck just the right chords to make him listen. Suddenly lowering his voice, he whispered to the agitated giant: "Did I mishear or is there truly villainy afoot? Did I percieve correctly, in all clarity and certainty, that the leader of the supposedly honor-bound, yet coin-addled watch sought to take a damsel by force, and wished for a noble simpleton's death in the process?"
He rubbed his chin. If the truth it was indeed, perchance the felon knew where his quest may now him lead!
And, he was itching for a fight, anyway; his youthful blood calling him into the fray.

"Well then - will you take me to this Maegla, so that I may hear her accord?"

Far louder, and with no trace of the solemn tone which his exchange with Vorodon bore, he bowed to the barmaid: "Fare thee well, my pearly lotus blossom, for duty calls. Return I shall, so fear thee not, drawn here by you, like moth to knot."

To the band he turned then, nodded, and spoke: "Lead the way, then. With you, mister..." he turned to Aerex "...I'd have a word."

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 12:19:11 PM »
All right!  The elf knight was willing to help!  Vorodon had no idea what the man was incoherently babbling about; something about villainous feet and someone “posed on her bown” taking d__n sales by force, but he was obviously willing to help.  There would be time to ask what he was talking about later.

It occurred to Vorodon that the elf probably couldn’t speak the Common Tongue very well, so his reversion to obviously Elven words like “per sieve” and “claireitty” was understandable.  The language WAS a hard one to master.

He considered the man’s desire to see Maegla.  While it was a reasonable request, it just wasn’t practical yet.  Communicating that would be difficult, however, given the elf’s limited grasp of Common.  As they gathered their property and prepared to head back into the night, he tried to explain the situation.  “Maegla hided what Leftenant no find.  Leftenant want kill Insector and Vorodon.  No get Maegla now now.  Can wait?  Maegla find to after know more?”
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:28:53 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »
"Well then - let's make haste then. If he wishes you ill, and death without a trial just, I will not allow it. Not by divine right does he reign, but by the will of his betters, and, by Aaluran's silver tress, I've seen none here who'd deserve the term 'better' ."

To Aerex he turned then, measuring the slender man with his gaze. "If I am to side with you, a question needs an answer. Unmistakenly you from Jantir hail, the pearl of pearls, yet the part of a brigand you dress. Who are you then?"
Certainly, Kyrian wished not to stand at the side of a villain common and plain! For that matter, he did not wish to stand at the side of an exceptional and interesting villain, not unless she... no, no villains.