llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Swords: A True Warrior's Tale  (Read 13858 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Re: Swords: A True Warrior's Tale
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 06:22:15 PM »
It appeared that they both were expecting her to stay. Selene glanced from one man and then the other, mentally taking note of their size, appearance, and any weapons that could be seen on their person. She would need to identify any of these men if they ever tried something with her, or tried to rob her during the night. She would not put it past them. Reluctantly, she followed them both inside the dirty building and up to the room. Hey, she was not going to give up a free place to stay, no matter that she wanted to be alone. Her funds were running short as it is.
     "It does not matter," She stated, walking further into the room and towards the window, her fingers playing with a loose thread on her cloak as she stared out into the diminishing sunlight. Her history and why she was there, was none of their business. She glanced at the older of the two when he spoke, her eyes narrowing slightly. "I'll keep first watch. I don't sleep around people I do not know."

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »
E'ae laughed.  "What's wrong, sweetheart?" he asked mockingly, leaning toward the woman.  "Don't trust an old Star Country soul?"  He shook his head.  "Fine by me," he said, removing his baldric and leaning against a corner of the room.  "You wanna lose sleep, be my guest."  He slid down to the floor, folding his arms around the Huo-Ying.  "I need my beauty rest."  E'ae's eyes shut, remaining just open enough to catch movement.  He wasn't about to trust either of them further than he had to.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »
Her eyes narrowed at his words. "No, I don't." Selene stated simply and cooly, turning back to gaze out of the window. Perhaps she wouldn't even wait until morning to leave. She did not care about any dangers that lurked the night and there was a slight chance that the air would be a bit better, though she was not going to get her hopes up. But first, she had do keep to her word and keep watch. And just for that rude comment, Selene thought as she sent a glare over in the older man's direction, she would wake him up just as he'd fallen into a nice, deep sleep and tell him it was his turn. And beauty rest? She resisted the urge to snort and comment, forcing her eyes to travel the length of the room.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 08:20:18 PM »
"Demon-Lady and the Blade-Man need to not fight eachother.  Firstly listen, the guards are coming, doubletime by the sound of it.  Kaun riskes less by knowing you're here, that way they don't find you, or the most illustrious Kaun either."

Pointing out the windows are the already looted bodies to make his point Kaun continued, "You've killed more of the Ravens than the guard knew existed, and the guard doesn't take well to being bested.  Kaun's bested them times before, and he knows well what they did to his friends to try and get at him."

Pausing Kaun thought, suddenly realizing that they were quite likely to sweep the buildings for anyone who looked like they might be able to win a fight with that pack of gangsters.

"If they finds us, as they might, Kaun would suggest that cowardice is the better part of bravory, and that you might want to flee as soon as you can break free of the guards."  Moving to the pad on the floor that served as his bed he continued, "but Kaun worries not, and suggests that you do the same.  If you don't stay the night, at least wait until the guard goes, for Kaun's and your own sake."

<OOC>Gawd, writing like that strains poor my brain all outta whack.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 06:30:42 PM »
She did see wisdom in his statement that they should stay until the guard passed. It would be plain stupid to leave, throwing yourself right into a trouble, and a with a guard no less. Selene just nodded, deftly removing her cloak. It was a little warm in the room and since she needed no protecting from the elements, there was no reason to keep it on. She folded the precious cloak over her arm, the cloth of her pale blue dress swaying slightly as she moved back over to the window, La'rune clinking at her side. Even though she had left home, she could not bring herself to desert the clothes that marked her as what she was, not after all those years of practice and achieving her dream. The dress she wore was simple enough; a pale blue that shimmered slightly, lighter colored threads making an intricate design down to the hem.
     She was so caught up in her thoughts of home that she was not paying any attention to the approaching sound of boots and yells. She did however finally realize that someone was approaching when they banged on the door, screaming something unintelligble as they shoved open the door. Selene barely had time to drop her cloack and insheath La'rune, and kick the older man in the side who lay a few feet away from her before two guards pushed their way into the room. Glancing at Selene's sword, they sent each other unidentifiable glances and tightened their grips on their own weapons.

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 07:53:31 AM »
 As the guards prepare to defend themselves, a commotion is heard by all. Coming from another appartment, the clearly distinguished sound of fighting assails the hears of the guards, who seem even more tense. Sweat beads form on their frown as their gaze jumps panickedly from the now wide awake opponents to the wide open door. They did not expect more assailants. Their sword still threatening Selene and Kaun, they slowly edge away from the door so as to place their backs on the wall on either side of it. The element of surprise now lost, their suprise and fear grows as the sounds slowly advance closer and closer to the cramped room. Without questions, now, another pair of guards is fighting a dozen yards from them. Shouts of battle echo down, indicating the other pair of guard advancing towards the now very tense little room.

A strange sound is heard, a mix between a rushing waterfall and a crackling fire. The screams of a guard echo down the hall just as another of the chainmail clad figures bursts through the room, blade drawn, and glittering with dark blood. Panting heavily from an exhausting struggle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:09:51 AM by dark_dragon »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
OOC: Sorry, this last week's been rather hectic on my end.  On with the show!

Maybe that piece Kaun stole last night was a cursed as they says it was...
  Thought Kaun as he rolled back to his feet and got his back to the wall beside his window.  "Much thanks, Kaun thinks must be due to you g'sir.  But now Kaun thinks it's best if you let him take his leaves.  If anyone wants to follow me out my window there's a good length of rope under that very pretty, and apparently very cursed statue."

Grabbing the bundle his night clothes were in and tossing it out the window in front of him, Kaun once again slipped out of his window and dropped to the ground.  Lacking the soft cushion of a body to land on, he rolled this time, coming up next to his clothes.

NOTE: He's just as dressed as before, but the sack contains the clothes he wears when he's doing theiving-type jobs.  You don't have a naked kid jumping outta windows...  :shock:
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
E'ae cursed as he stood, quickly refitting his baldric.  "Listen, stranger, don't drag me down with your blood debts," he hissed, jabbing a finger at the newcomer.  "I don't know what kinda commotion you're making out there, but I don't want a part of it."  He dashed to the window, grabbing the rope and tying it in place.  Better hope this holds, he thought grimly as he lept from the window, grabbing the rope with one gloved hand to slow his descent.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 09:17:13 PM »
Selene was now beginning to wonder if coming here had been such a wise idea. The Star Country would have been fine, she mused as she adjusted La'rune in her hand and stared at the guards. Her attention was diverted at the sound of Kaun and E'ae both. She turned and stared as first one and then the other jumped from the window. Should she follow? It was one of the only times in her life that Selene had been hesitant. She glanced from the men to the window, asking herself what she had gotten into.

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
Lyst was wounded. Severely. The guard's blade had dug into his left side, and when it slid out, had left a fountain of warm blood in its place. He had had to use his kigou on guard' to be able to escape. He was glad that the man who had wounded him had been so surprised by the kigou's magic, running back into the corridor, and that his partner had wisely decided to stop fighting after Lyst' manifestation of fire had been pressed upon his face.

But the fact remained. he had to get out of here, and fast. While he shuffled down the stairs, clutching his side, his pain was telling him to stop, to give up, but his mind was edging him to carry on. Ignoring the glances of the residents, he slowly walked down the stairs and out of the building. He was lucky, the guards must have gone somewhere else to look for god knows what. As he pushed the building's door open, he was greeted by a strange spectacle.

He nearly fell into a young, short, black-clad figure, who had seemingly jumped from one of the building's small windows. Regaining his footing, he barely had time to get out of the way before another, older and taller man fell besides him. Lyst's vision blurred, his legs weakened, and before he knocked into the new arrival,grunting, he had time for only one thought..."what a strange night...." he said to himself.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:24:29 PM by dark_dragon »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 10:16:34 AM »
Making up her mind, Selene grabbed her cloak and leapt for the window. She left the rope as it was, manipulating the air to soften her fall. She landed on her feet, tightening her hold on La’rune as she turned around, squinting slightly in the darkness. A groan almost escaped her as she noticed yet another figure that had joined them, though it seemed unintentionally.
   She took a step forward subconsciously, grabbing the man’s arm to keep him balanced. “Are you all trying to kill him..?” She hissed, glancing from E'ae to Kaun. And because she could never leave someone obviously wounded on the streets, Selene sighed, re-sheathing her sword. “Since you nearly killed him, help me.” She may have been perfect with a sword, and had perfected her abilities, she could not carry a grown man by herself.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »
  "Listen deary.  Kaun may not sound like anything but two steps above the bottom rung of the stupid people, but he's also your only chance of surviving the wonderfully nice guards.  So, I might suggest you think of that before you go blaming him for suffering caused to random others.  Kaun will help you carry him to where ever you want to go, but Kaun needs to know what in the name of the twelve spirits you're looking for to be able to help.  d**n outlanders..."

Cutting off some pieces from the bag his clothes were in, Kaun tied off some of the worst cuts.  "Kaun suggests that someone tell Kaun where they want to go quick, or else he'll lead you straight to the nearest gate out of the city, and'll wish you luck on getting back in."

Grabbing a hold of the guys feet so that he could lead Kaun said, "Let's go, quick before they close off the streets with the crossbowmen."

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
"Forget him," E'ae grunted, pulling the baldric over his head and fastening the belt around his waist.  "They're after him, not me."  He looked to the rooftops.  "Kid's right, though, we need to get moving."  He sighed, fingering the grip of Huo-Ying.  This is the last thing I need, he thought ruefully.  "Get to the sewers, that's our safest bet.  Unless these guys are real desperate, they won't follow us."  And they'd better not be desperate, E'ae thought.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 07:48:28 PM »
"Forget him?!" She squeaked, squinting through the darkness at E'ae. Was he really going to just leave the poor guy here? And why in the hell was she bothering herself with this stranger? He had probably led the guards to their room. But even as she thought about just dropping the man and escaping, Selene knew she wouldn't. Her back was on fire as she shifted, relief spreading through her as Kaun took most of the man's wait from her.
     Her resolve hardened and once again, she squinted at the older man. "If you don't help us," She stated through gritted teeth. "I'll kill you right here and now, and the d**ned guards won't have to worry anymore. I'll kill you with no more than a blink of my eye." And then, she decided to ignore him, readjusting her grip on his shoulders and hauling him away from the building with Kaun. "Thanks.." She muttered after a few moments, readjusting the man's weight for the fourth time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:17:21 PM by MaidenLady »

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »
OOC: I did have the guy's legs, ready to help you carry him.  I could drag him to the sewers thow if you start swinging on us...  Care to rewrite your post Maiden?

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 08:13:56 PM »
ooc: Eeek...I totally knew that....*glances around*...is it better?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:17:55 PM by MaidenLady »

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 10:36:28 PM »
"Safety first, then maybe you two can continue the bloodshed, but Kaun would rather that he didn't leave anyone behind that could tell them which way he went."

Starting off at an easy jog, Kaun led them through numerous back alleys before he finally took them down into the sewers.  "Careful down here, Kaun and you two can't be too careful.  Numerous bad things lurk in the sewers of my Urb; leeches, bandits, and grues call it their homes.  We head to the river now, then we find you what you want so you can leave Kaun's city forevers, no?"

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2007, 07:28:54 PM »
Lyst felt himself being carried. He wasn't sure who these people were, but in between grunts, he was rather grateful that he didnt have to walk to the sewers himself. Several times his vision went black, and every times he forced his eyelids up again to a new, blurred vision of the night sky, until once again the moonless night was replaced by the murky stoneworks of the sewers.

His eyes slipped closed as his mind began to loose the grip on consciousness which he was holding onto. In a way he would have welcomed the enclosing dark, but it was not to be. The Malesh ink flared, his body coursing with the electric tension of the sharp pain. He convulsed. the strangers could do very little to retain him, and with a wet thud Lyst fell to the ground face flat against the stone floor.

There was a pause. Slowly, deliberately, Lyst pushed himself off the ground, and squatted on all fours, the ink gave him newfound strength. The filth of the sewer clinging to his face, he spat out: "I'm rather shoddy on how I got here. But it seems I owe you my life. I don't intend to run away from that." He was on his knees now, clenching his side. "I'm not going to drag you down as much. But if you ever want that debt repaid I'd really appreciate someone to lean on while we get out of here, if its okay with you."

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Item Guild Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 07:05:39 AM »
Far above the sounds of mice in the sewers, above the sound of iron clashing with steel in a cramped room, above the rooftops of the city, and far, far above the city itself, a cloudy sky was very heavy, but not as heavy as it had been a half hour ago, when the first drops of rain started to make their journey down towards an endless sea of land.

Now, that first rain drop hit the ground. It was barely audible.

'dip'

Then a few moments later:

'dip'

dip.....dip.....dip....dip....dip...dip...dip..di p..dip.dip.dip.dipdipdipdipdidpdipdip

::POUR::

Water fell from the heavens like stars cover a pitch night sky in a shepard's field, covering the rooftops and the streets with sheets of water. Already people were closing shutters and windows. It would be a harsh storm.

Meanwhile, in the sewers, none of this could be heard, not even the occasional crack of thunder far above.

In fact, if one stopped still, nothing could be heard at all. To the trained ear of one who spends their time in the sewers often, it is also the sound of trouble, an omen to a dangerous future. It is the sound of a thousand small, tiny feet, not scurrying along, not scavenging, not fighting for survival.

The mice knew what that silence meant. As they all hid in their nooks, cracks, and holes, they knew that more water was coming. A lot more water, and anybody who was down there, had about five minutes to hide, escape, or start holding their breath.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline MaidenLady

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007, 01:03:32 AM »
((Hello Nobody!))

The moment the man fell from her struggling grasp, Selene took severel steps back to regain herself, ignoring the clammy and suffocating air that was bottled inside the sewer they had just entered. She glanced around, not liking the stillness that eveloped them. It was not a habit of hers to go traversing through sewers, but she figured there out to be atleast the occasional rat scurrying around.

If she was at all curious as to how the young man they had just been carrying suddenly sprung to life, Selene kept to herself, her eyes moving between their growing group.

"We found you," She stated rather simply, explaining to the man how he had gotten to where he was. She took that step back forward, asking herself why she was willing to help him. And then, why was she still with these men? As if that didn't baffle her enough, Selene heard herself adding, "Don't worry with that for now, there will be time later for repaying. Latch onto one of us so we can get the hell out of here."

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
OOC: Gone til Saturday the 14th.  Outta town and away from the internets.  Assume the Kaun follows/leads the groups, and when the need presents itself, runs like hell.  Also, if someone brings it up the unnatural silence, he'll put 2 and 2 together, as the only one likely to have spent extensive time underground/in the sewers.
IC: Kaun decided he'd give up, find these wonderful outsiders a nice, secure inn somewhere and leave them to their adventures.  They were too paranoid, even for outsiders.  Didn't they know that a man's word, even the word of a thief and mugger, was about the only thing you could trust in these streets?  A man could be bought, yes, but someone else would always have more gold than you, and if they wanted, could pay your hired man to turn on you.

Kaun led on, through the winding tunnels he viewed as a second home, deep underneath the sprawling Urb, leading them onwards to the otherside of the city, away from the gates and into the Hive.