llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Indie Movies! - Got any?  (Read 1176 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Indie Movies! - Got any?
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:42:14 AM »
Okay, so as you may have already heard, this last trimester in school I was able to make a very very short (~1:30) fake movie trailer, and it actually turned out decent (as those of you at StrolenCon will most likely find out). In the process of doing so, however, I discovered a passion for editing special FX, and I've thusly changed my schedule so that this final trimester of my high school life I'm learning to work with that sort of thing. I'm anticipating lots of fun, but I'm left with just one problem: a lack of movie footage to work with.

I have no digital camera of my own to capture movie footage, and some things just can't really be done at school using my teacher's camera. So, a plea to all Strolenites: if you see any indie movie footage that you think might be worthwhile (i.e. has potential but no real special effects), toss up a link to it here. I'm anticipating a crapload of Youtube and Google Video links, but that's fine. Oh, and if you want, you can also suggest effects that might make a scene more interesting (or just interesting FX in general).

For starters, a decent indie movie I just came across that shows potential: zombies!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:09:23 PM by Chaosmark »
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Re: Indie Movies!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »
I'm almost wondering if it would be feasible for some of us to get together and make our own movies...  I can only imagine the crazy things that Strolenites would come up with.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:50:48 AM »
Not that hard.  A Higher End video camera, and some relatively cheap editing software, some lights, and a few people to cobble together a plot and story board.   The price of video production has dropped to be comperable to Bands doing and pressing their own CDs.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »
I more meant geographically.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 07:33:32 AM »
Go to Circuit City, buy a nice camera that will serve your purposes. Return it in under 30 days (know their policy).....try another one. All the new ones will download directly to your computer through firewire or USB.

Repeat as necessary.

You can do the same through Amazon.com.

When we were looking for cameras, we probably spent over $5,000 on looking at cameras....all fully refunded with generous return policies.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:05:52 PM »
Honestly, I'd love to do some indie movies with Strolenites if possible. Perhaps at StrolenCon 2 we can try some LARPing and video it. Then later we can watch our adventure with nifty special effects! Only problem we might have is that I won't have video editing software (outside of this class) until Fall at the earliest.

Otherwise, I've got experience writing screenplays, storyboarding, acting, editing, directing...The only thing I haven't done is actually run the filming camera (which will be solved soon enough later on this trimester). So, I'm all for it.

Oh, and the camera doesn't even have to be an extremely nice one. Thanks to the niftiness of digital post-production, we can change the video to HD and make it look (almost) as nice as film.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:29:20 PM by Chaosmark »

By the power of Bayes!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Indie Movies! - Got any?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
I can do screenwriting and storyboarding.  I have rp'd and larped for too long, so I can act.   
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: Indie Movies! - Got any?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »
Bumpage! Heaven knows all of us watch enough videos of crazy stuff. Post'em!

By the power of Bayes!