llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Naming Characters  (Read 969 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
Naming Characters
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »
 Whenever I get ideas for a story or submission I go through it in my head a couple of times. However when it comes to putting my ideas onto a computer I find that I never named the characters, or anything else for that matter. Practically none of my stuff has names until the last minute, its just when I think of something I never put a name to it, its only when it comes to the writing that I thing up the names

Does anyone else find this happens, I actually think its better in some ways to start with the character and form a name from that, as opposed to starting with a name and working on from there.

Thoughts?
A necromancer is only evil in the eye of those who hate him and only hated by those who do not understand him.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Re: Naming Characters
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »
Usually the character concept sounds cool.  As for names themselves, if I don't want to just make up a cool sounding name, I go look at one of the baby name sites, and search meanings that are appropriate.  There's usually a few that sound right.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:27:15 AM »
I've got a PDF file on my computer that I scrounged up from some gaming site that I use.  I also write down stuff on my walls that I like from any book that I'm reading at the time, so I'll look through those notes occasionally too.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
Naming can be tough. Sometimes I just generate them on-the-fly, and it is a quick and easy process, where I just take the names of people or items around, and twist them until they sound right.

And sometimes I become stuck with names, often important names, and can't think of anything. In that case, I use some randomly-generating software for making names, Ebon is one.

But sometimes, if all else fails, I just end up asking Citadelians for help with making a new name. This method rarely fails. :)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »
Sometimes I'll get a character concept then a name, sometimes I'll get a cool name and a character will develop around it.  It kind of varies with me.

The coolest names I ever get just pop into my head, but when I'm stuck, EBoN is quite handy.  I'll also sometimes pick historical names (preferrably obscure ones, so I don't get stuck with the particular stigma of a historical figure) or I'll take a regular name and change a syllable or even a letter.  Tyler becomes Tylus, Matthais becomes Mattias, etc.  I find subtle changes on real-world names come off as more believable, unless you have a real "different" world, in which case go nuts. :wink:

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »
Another source that is surprisingly useful is movie covers.  They list major cast and crew on the back, and makes an excellent way to find modern day names.  Last name here, first name there.  This is even more effective if you're looking at foreign movies, because your audience is not as likely to be familiar with them.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko