llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: OOC:[Dark Waters] Nightfall in New Orleans  (Read 5866 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
OOC:[Dark Waters] Nightfall in New Orleans
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:58 PM »
An aging émigré has come forth to answer the challenge:

Jean-Paul Maréchaux, Émigré Nobleman
An elderly scholar and petit nobleman of the Ancien Régime, Mssr. Maréchaux is the last remaining child of his infamous line. 

A widower, Jean-Paul had the misfortune of watching his wife and young children fall to disease soon after he had come into his inheritance.  The heavily-taxed peasants of the estate spoke of God’s judgment against the wicked line of Maréchaux, for all had heard the tales and rumors of Jean-Paul’s ancestors:  Their arrogance and greed were well-known in the region.  Some even spoke of heresies and vile sorcery from these depraved noblemen.

In the turmoil of the Revolution, Jean-Paul anticipated that his family’s notoriety would make him a target for the people’s unchecked anger.  Despite the fact that he was an affable and courteous man, a quiet scholar who generally left the running of his estates to managers, it did not take long before a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Warned by a servant, Jean-Paul fled to the New World mere months before legislation prohibited such émigrés. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:42:33 AM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: OOC:[Dark Waters] Nightfall in New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:39:16 PM »
Yes Wulf, your place is secured...now go fight and remember us around the Bardic Fires!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »
Phillipe d'Etielle, soldier for hire, is also here.

Phillipe is a tall, spare man.  He isn't very old, thirty at most, but battle has aged him.  He has messy, unkempt black hair, and his clothes are in various stages of disrepair.  An old battle wound has done terrible things to his face, leaving a ragged scar all across the right side, destroying an eye, and giving him a smile like an incoming shark.  Consequently, he only smiles when he wants to scare someone.  Usually he smells like cheap wine, although he's often not visibly drunk.

He joined the army for a couple of different reasons (lack of money being prominent), but found he was ill-suited to military life.  The fighting didn't bother him terribly, in fact, he distinguished himself in several battles.  However, he had a problem with authority that wasn't him, and was accused of insubordination more than once.  So one night, he took his musket and some supplies, and made off. 

Something drew him to New Orleans, even though the Spaniards in charge of the territory didn't care for Frenchmen.  His uniform has gotten Phillipe into several fights with idle Spanish soldiers.  He's made a living gambling in the public houses, winning money from drunken fools, and occasionally taking mercenary work from local landowners.  Tracking down runaway slaves, acting as a night watch, the like.  He finds his rather alarming facial deformity a boon in this work.  He's still not sure what he's looking for in New Orleans, but right now he's just marking time.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:21:41 PM »
...giving him a smile like an incoming shark

nice!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:19:06 AM »
Joseph Maurice Frédéric Larue, Acadian Woodsman is here as well.

Joseph is a large man - both in height and girth. He has the typical Brown eyes and hair of his linage, and eyebrows which nearly meet in the center.    Normally used to heavy work in the forests, the city life and drink has had its affects on him.

One of the Acadian expellees, exiled by the British government of New Scotland, his family was one of the holdouts and left a little later then other Acadians.  After a perilous sea journey during which most of his family succumbed to disease, he found himself in New Orleans.

Now, with a bit of money but no job, Joseph is looking for work and is not too picky about what type.  He is willing to work hard - forestry was not a vocation for the lazy, or the timid, but there had better be a good pay pouch at the end of it.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:33:25 PM »
New images uploaded for game.

http://www.geocities.com/drewseroph/Dark_Waters/

Keep this link for additional files, I will add them as needed.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:05:59 PM »
Vinicios Silva Carneiro

Vinicious is about a little taller than average and of an average weight for his height.  His clothes are relatively non-descript, though they are of noticably good quality.  He keeps his dark hair cut short, and has recently taken to wearing a partly burnt tricorn.

Vinicios was born in the colony of Brasil, the son of a wealthy family in Rio de Janeiro, and was taught as such as a youth.  Schooled in the finest schools, Vinicios soon turned his attention to the human body, and spent many years studying with the local physicians.  His parents, wishing him the best education possible, sent him to France to study under the best possible.

Having spent the better part of 8 years in France now, away from home and kin, Vinicios sought passage west, not really caring to much where.  Working as a sailor aboard a ship headed for New Orleans Vinicios has come one step closer to his goal, now needing just to find a ship heading south.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:36:17 AM »
Just in case you wanted to do some research into the times and culture, here's a list of movies that contributed greatly to the storyline, in no particular order:

Interview with a Vampire   (Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Kirsten Dunst)
Plunket & Macleane          (Robert Carlyle, Johnny Lee Miller, Liv Tyler)
Brotherhood of the Wolf    (Le pact de loups, French, dubbed)
The Crucible                    (Winona Ryder, Daniel Day-Lewis)
Rob Roy                          (Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange, Tim Roth)
Vatel                              (Gerard Depardieu, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth)
The Patriot                      (Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, Rene Auberjonois)
The Wicker Man               (Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, complete British release if possible)
The Man in the Iron Mask   (Leonardo DiCaprio, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gerard Depardieu, Gabriel Byrne)
Frankenstein                    (Robert DiNero, Kenneth Branagh, Helena Bonham Carter)

Although not all in the same time period, all of these movies have something to offer Victorian Horror.
If you get the chance, at any time, I'd suggest seeing these movies...and not just for the game.
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 12:17:49 AM »
Hermanne Petit-Goave, "Papagayo"

In 1791 the Hatian Revolution began. It is said by historians, that an act of a single vodou houngan of Haiti's local populace, began the Great Expulsion, allowing Haiti to become its own governing nation. Hermanne Petit-Goave was not that houngan, but he was that houngan's apprentice, having joined his master in summoning the loas in drug-induced rapture, and sparkign the Fire of the People!

When all chaos broke out on the island, the young, impressionable Hermanne witnessed his master's death, the demise of Jean-Martin Egouzeide, the legendary sorcerer, better known as 'Great Guhma Snakeleg', and barely escaped with his own life, as the battle raged and the blood ran in the earth. Hermanne found his way aboard a raft and would have perished at sea, if he had not been rescued by spanish slavers, who captured him and brought him to the mysterious northern coast city he had heard of as a child, the New Orleans, the old one being in France, Hermanne knew. When the caravel docked, Hermanne Petit-Goave escaped, killing a lazing crewman, and taking the man's clothes, as well as an odd Napoleonic chapeau he had found on the ship. He lastly took with him a name, the same one the spanish sailors had kept calling him on board. From this day on, in this new city, he would be Papagayo, "the Parrot", as he was mocked by his erstwhile masters. His lao oft came in parrot form when he was a young boy, and thus, the Parrot, would now do.

Papagayo wishes to explore this great city, this melting pot of humanity, and gingerly choose his life's path. Eventually, he muses, he will return to Mother Haiti. In the meantime, the ebon foreigner is comforted in the fact that his laos and his minor sorceries will protect him from the unknown.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:57:48 AM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 11:51:25 PM »
Alright, now let's get down to business.

I've posted for every character I have complete info for the intro, as promised.
Wulf and Scras will be here soon, I hope. I will bring them both in when I have their respective characters.

My plan was to post once a week, but it seems that some of you are here more often and post quickly.

So here is the plan...
I'll post every 2 days or so when I can during the week, and most likely 2 - 3 times over the weekends (Fri, Sat, and Sun). I will point out that I will only post for active characters, so if you don't post, I won't post anything directly concerning your character.

If you think this will be a problem, reply and I'll try to set a better interval for my posts.
(I am a bit impatient in forum games, ask Muro! I'll do my best to accommodate all player needs.)

Feel free to post up any questions or concerns here and I'll address them expediently.
(Please, no questions about foreign languages or unfamiliar words and phrases. I'm sure your Google-Fu isn't that bad...)
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 07:41:20 AM »
I've only got one problem with this schedual, and this problem centers around a pretty weird habit of mine.  Something about me disappearing from the AUR game every once in a while for a week at a time.  I'll try to stay posting whenever I can, but if I'm gone for 2+ posts in a row, feel free to drag me along.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 08:29:30 AM »
Done!
I'll consider that permission for GM possession during long absences.
(after two missed posts I'll "posses" the good doctor for one scene to keep him up with the group)
~Henry L Mencken

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 02:45:59 PM »
I will, as you may have noticed, add "cut scenes" every now and then. These are for a reason. They will (hopefully) add to the overall "feel" of the story as well as add other elements to the game that would otherwise go unnoticed. (Please remember, the scenes are not PC knowledge!)

If they prove to be ineffective in the telling of this story, I will discontinue the insertions.

With that said.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:00:57 PM by the Wanderer »
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
An interchange to illustrate just how unreasonable Wanderer is being:
(Edited creatively to emphasize my point, at the expense of everyone else in the room...)

[the Wanderer] 10:52 am: (I need a proper body count...     )

[Wulfhere] 10:53 am: Obviously, Jean-Paul needs a burly servant to die
dramatically while he watches in horror...
[Wulfhere] 10:54 am: I'll hire the first ne’er-do-well that I run into....

[the Wanderer] 10:54 am: Um, no. Jean-Paul can watch in horror as HE
dies...retainers cost money, and you all are considered a bad omen at
the moment.

[Wulfhere] 10:55 am: "Here, garcon, put on this red coat..."

[the Wanderer] 10:55 am: lol

[Wulfhere] 10:56 am: A man of Jean-Paul's decadent lineage, without
even a decent valet to brush his jacket? (shudders)

[the Wanderer] 10:56 am: He's hiding from his past, remember?

[Wulfhere] 10:58 am: Hiding from his past, but not deliberately roughing
it!  Do you expect the man to even cook his own food?  Have no one to
pour his bath?  Polish his own boots?  Egad!
[Wulfhere] 10:58 am: He had no idea that the Americas were so barbaric!

[the Wanderer] 10:59 am: Then thou wilt suffer the consequences of
your father's sins, my son.

[Wulfhere] 10:59 am: Manfred, you're a cultured Continental type!  Help
me out here...

[manfred] 11:00 am: Uh, cultured, what?

[manfred] 11:00 am: What can I help you with?

[Wulfhere] 11:01 am: A stranger in a muddy world, poor Jean-Paul
needs a servant, someone to be eaten by monsters while he heroically
flees to get help.  Even an Irishman would do.

[the Wanderer] 11:02 am: He's trying to convince me to put a body
between him and danger in a horror RP...while hiding his past.

[manfred] 11:02 am: A local guy perhaps?
[manfred] 11:03 am: Someone the 'sahib' has rescued, and now
admires him strongly?

[Wulfhere] 11:05 am: Nice try, Manfred!

[the Wanderer] 11:03 am: And he (along with the other PCs) are being
viewed as a "bad omen" to the locals, specifically the slaves and religious sorts.

[Wulfhere] 11:09 am: All right, Wanderer.  Jean-Paul will face the
horrors alone, but if he has to fight a vicious travesty of humanity with
his cravat not properly starched, I'm holding you personally responsible.

[the Wanderer] 11:11 am: He's bound to get wrinkled regardless of
nasties attacking or not, hire a #$%^&* laundry maid!

[manfred] 11:11 am: How about a black, faithful slave? Not politically
correct today, absolutely fine back then.  Also makes for a nice cliché.

[Wulfhere] 11:11 am: Only if he speaks passable French…
[Wulfhere] 11:12 am: and knows how to cook.  Cooking is very important.

[manfred] 11:12 am: The traditional role of a servant... to cook, wash,
and die for the master.

[Wulfhere] 11:12 am: It would be ungallant for Jean-Paul to send a
laundry maid to her doom while he flees.

[the Wanderer] 11:13 am: You can go to the slave auction, that is
always possible (but not before the trouble starts)

[Wulfhere] 11:13 am: I should have stopped on the way to the church to
buy more guns.  Guns:  We're going to need lots of guns...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:37:01 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »
Unreasonable is a bit harsh, don't you think? After all, Jean-Paul has only had his feet on the ground for a short time. He hasn't gone through the trouble to hire a servant!

The story continues in today (in the most disturbing and vile way as I can).
Prepare for a fight everyone!
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
There you go, trying to be reasonable now!  Just because Jean-Paul's made NO effort to hire anyone and is a complete stranger to everyone in the city (he hopes!) you want to deny him basic creature comforts like good cooking or having someone to die in his place while he flees.

A cruel tyrant, that's what you are!

(I REALLY shouldn't antagonize the GM just before he plans to post...)
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »
I do believe it's a bit late now...
Though it wouldn't have made a difference, death will still reign upon you all very soon.  :twisted:

~Henry L Mencken

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 04:43:38 PM »
Time for a well timed and greatly deserved combat sequence. I'm sure you all know how this goes....
~Henry L Mencken

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 07:42:42 PM »
Initiative as follows: Frederic, Phillipe, the alligator man, The good doctor, Alexander, then Papagayo (hopefully we will hear from Muro soon)
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »
I'll post sometime tonight, I don't know quite when.  No time right now.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows how the place is lit?

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »
Oil lanterns (only a few) and a lot of candles.
~Henry L Mencken

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
Jean-Paul survived, so far. Waiting on the good Doctor to act next (and the big bad Voodoo man better be here soon!).
Two new PCs start very soon, so be prepared!
~Henry L Mencken

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 07:17:15 AM »
Nudge!!!

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
Alright folks, I'm back!
Expect heavy handed doom and gloom by the weekend. Consider yourselves warned!
~Henry L Mencken