llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Dark Waters] Nightfall in New Orleans: Players needed  (Read 5673 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
[Dark Waters] Nightfall in New Orleans: Players needed
« on: February 11, 2007, 10:09:08 PM »
New Orleans   May 1, 1791

Refugees arrive daily, coming from Hispanola to the Beautiful Crescent. Slaves and nothing more…destined for hard labor.
Death haunts the streets at night, as rival thieves fight openly for control. Assassins prowl the wharf and lower Quarter, silently stalking their prey. Red colored glass is set in the street lamps every evening, turning the busy port city dark and sultry and noting the way for sailors to find “quiet company”.

There is a current, running through the dark alleys and dimly lit streets. It pulls, almost drags, souls to its center. Like the mighty Mississippi itself, there is no denying its power.
Many come here, each for their own reason. Duty, wealth, power, a new beginning, or even to disappear. Some stay and tempt Fate. Some return from whence they came, richer or poorer for their time spent. And some do disappear.
This is a place of new beginnings and old tales. Stories of murder, deceit, love lost, victories won, vampires, ghouls, ghosts and Voodoo.

Welcome to New Orleans…

I'm starting a new game, so here is how it works...

Rules
No OOC in the role playing thread
Pay attention to every post! Know what’s going on before you act.
No abbreviations or slang (unless it is appropriate to the game)!
This game IS NOT politically correct, so expect to be offended by something.
There will be a character cap of 10 for the time being (but I will allow more as the game progresses)

This game will be based on Call of Cthulhu. Use the “1890’s” sheet if possible (http://www.chaosium.com/forms/1890s-5ed.pdf), though some skills are (obviously) inappropriate. Use your best judgment, and expect to be asked for reasoning and at least a bit of history on your PC.

When you are accepted, you will be given stats and information specific to your character. Some of this will be private information (to be shared at your discretion).

I will post about twice a week (more often if possible).

Char sheet Info

Name:
Player:
Nationality:

Stats
Str:
Dex:
Int:
Con:
App:
Pow:
Siz:
San:
Edu:

Skills
   (Use your best judgment here)

Equipment

People of Note and Power

Pere Dagobert. This Capuchin priest arrived in New Orleans in 1745 to pastor the Church of Saint Louis. He is a very popular and beloved man and is more than just a priest to the people.
He cares for the sick, is the benefactor of the poor and the widowed and is embraced by the people.

Francisco Luis Carondelet. Carondelet is appointed Governor and Intendent of the provinces of Louisiana and West Florida. He also continues his predesessor’s Intendant post and the governor’s domination of the Cabildo.

Madame Revouel. Madame Revouel has turned her home at 16 Rue Bienville into a boarding house known for great comfort and lavish meals, not to mention weekly revels.

Monsr. La Borde. Head of the archdiocese, the Monsignor is strict about keeping the “moral fiber” of the predominantly French citizens on the strait and narrow path.

Jose Antonio de Hoa. This is a man of much power and influence along the docks. He owns several cargo ships and the “de Hoa Embarque” shipping and trading company.

Recent News

Arsonist and a band of thieves plague the city.

Opening of a military school. Most cadets are French Creoles whose parents want their sons to advance in the community or sons of the Spanish army officers and government officials.

Sugar cane, indigo and tobacco are profitable crops, but capital formation rests in the hands of the merchants of New Orleans. They provide credit for the planters and regulate prices of agricultural commodities that they purchase from them.

By edict of Code Nior, and upheld by Spanish governors:
•   slaves must be baptized in the Roman Catholic Church
•   non-Catholic colonial subjects must not interfere with the Catholic practices of other subjects
•   all colonial subjects and slaves must observe Catholic holidays regardless of their own faith
•   slave markets must not be held on Catholic holidays
•   only Catholic marriages would be recognized
•   Married free men will be fined for having children with their slave concubines, as will the slave concubine's master. If the man himself is the master of the slave concubine, the slave and child will be removed from his ownership. If the man was not married, he should then be married to the slave concubine thus freeing her and the child from slavery.
•   Weddings between slaves must be carried out only with the masters' permission. slaves will not be married without their own consent
•   children between a male slave and a female free woman are free
•   slaves shall not carry weapons except under permission of their masters for hunting purposes
•   slaves belonging to different masters may not gather at any time under any circumstance
•   slaves shall not sell sugar cane, even with permission of their masters
•   slaves may not sell any other commodity without permission of their masters
•   Slaves who are sick must be cared for by their masters. masters who abandon sick slaves will be fined
•   a slave who strikes his or her master, his wife, mistress or children will be executed
•   masters of freed slaves who give refuge to fugitive slaves will be fined
•   a master who falsely accuses a slave of a crime and has the slave put to death will be fined
•   masters who kill their slaves will be punished
•   slaves are community property and cannot be mortgaged, and must be equally split between the masters inheritors
•   slave husband and wife (and their prepubescent children) under the same master are not to be sold separately
•   slave masters 20 years of age (25 years without parental permission) may free their slaves

Player List

1. Ria
2. Pariah
3. Wulf
4. Muro
5. Valadaar
6. Scras

The first chapter is closed!

Sign-ups for Chapter 2 being accepted now! (post requests on this thread)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:06:13 PM by the Wanderer »
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: [Dark Waters] Nightfall in New Orleans: Players needed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:19:22 AM »
question: are we all doing hard-core accents/grammar/speech appropriate to the times and our characters, or, are we assuming we all have them, and will simply speak english?  :P

Just curious.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 06:27:23 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »
I think it should not be required, but those who can and want to should..

My $0.02.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »
I agree with Val.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Jarons20

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:43:01 PM »
If there is room, i would love to play in your second chapter

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 07:31:44 AM »
J, your spot is reserved...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:08:28 AM »
As far as the accent/language thing goes, you all KNOW how I hate goofy accents and silly language...
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
Yeah, I figured most people wouldn't want to figure out most of it. So here's what I'll do...

Languages othe than English will be noted thusly...

French
Spanish
Creole

I will not the translation at the bottom of each post.

How's that?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:46:15 AM by the Wanderer »
~Henry L Mencken

Offline TheSnakeRoselynAlexandra

• Snake
  • Adept
  • Ever so lost with in the mind. Ever so lost...
    • http://www.myspace.com/cateyedmargo
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
so are there opeanings still?
A step behind time. A step behind reason. Only in her mind. For she was before time and before reason. Counting a head. The only way she stays alive.

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
Next chapter there are still 2 slots open, shall I reserve one for you?
~Henry L Mencken