This thread is for discussing the freetexts themselves - because we have some, and we want more, and of some we want less or none at all. And there is of course a little disagreement about which fall where.
Freetexts are supposed to link our subs in a different, looser way than the existing categories, and go beyond direct linking. We need something not specific to a given submission, pointing to others (sometimes in unexpected ways).
Before I step into the trap of a tiresome discussion on its exact definition and all implications, let me put down one rule for them:Is there any _real_ chance there will be more submissions linked to this freetext? If not, don't use it.
This simple rule would have eliminated 3/4 of the freetexts that were, or will be yet deleted.
Now the listing of a few freetexts types that seem to have success so far:Settings
- most favoured, and most handy. Enough said!"Categories"
- for alternative groupings of subs. Sometimes they are like sub-subcategories (Items/Magical -> Generic Magical Items; Lifeform/Flora -> fungus) for things of interest. Other times, they easily span several categories (like Spirits, Drugs, Poison, etc). These need to be expanded for more fun.Jobs
- Mercenary, necromancer, and much more. Useful mainly if all or most submissions of this type are linked to it. There is some discussion around them which we really need and which not.Setting Building Blocks
- these say basically "If you use one in your game, you may want to take a look at the rest, and take more, or the whole package!" Good for integrating a whole group of subs (Corvus, Clan Ironspirit, Shard of the Storm, etc), with plenty of details.Submission Class
- 101, 30, Tales of Adventure, Random Encounter, you get the idea."Genres"
- Horror, Western, but also things like Ocean or Space, things that apply to a certain type/place of game.
Let me know if I missed something, or someone would like to take up a freetext of liking, and make sure all subs of a given type have it.