llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Linking chat  (Read 844 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Linking chat
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »
Had a talk with Mourngrymn, and we came upon the topic of linking submissions. Warning: another dry debate on Citadel features.

[manfred] ...how do you like all the linking features?
[Mourngrymn] Well I use the freetext when I am wanting to look for something specific. However I do follow the linked material and use them myself for all of my subs. I link everything I can, which is a downfall to me and the way I do my work. I can see that people do not always follow the linked material and that can be seen when someone comments on a sub and asks a question that is detailed in one of the linked subs. Thats frustrating.
[Mourngrymn] I think that if everyone used it how it was supposed to be used, then it would be great.
[manfred] Yes, linking on the bottom of the sub is often not enough. Linking in text fares better.
[manfred] Lately, people started to use the blockquote tag to add important links to their subs, now that is a way to get attention.
[Mourngrymn] But linking in text can be a hassle when you do not speak directly about something. For instance I created a group of items that were
linked by a history. Instead of having the history in each I wrote it seperate as a codex. I then wrote the other subs and linked them. And no one understood anything. Linking in text was difficult as neither sub dealt individually with the other items, only as a whole were they common and therefore linked.
[Mourngrymn] Yes the blockquote tag is an eye opener.
[manfred] In that case, I'm afraid, you have to find a way to add link in text... some note on the end (or beginning), or the aforementioned blockquote.
[manfred] In some cases, there's just too much at the bottom... and people are not willing to follow every single link.
[Mourngrymn] See some of my long subs... my constellation myth one for instance (I just read it again) fail to get attention because it is so long. I have
even fell victim to not reading some subs that have a huge number of linked scrolls.
[manfred] It is always a bit complicated with long submissions.
[Mourngrymn] that is a fact
[manfred] I have become a fan of scrolls recently, as you may have noticed.
[manfred] They can do a few things for a long post, if it is suitable.

Whatever, the short chat may perhaps be continued - how do you others like the various ways of linking submissions? Do they serve the purpose you want them to use for? Or is there space for improvement?
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Linking chat
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
I have two things up my sleeve still

http://www.strolen.com/infobox/demo.php

and/or

http://www.softky.com/TreeDoc/index.php3

The idea might be to suck in the summary or parts of the submission....maybe?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:03:40 PM by Strolen »

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.