llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Game of Thrones! I think I hate it.  (Read 2420 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Game of Thrones! I think I hate it.
« on: December 14, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »
Now that I have your attention.

This is a wonderful series. The world has wonderful details and a deep history that make it so very unlike most fantasy books. It has great characters. A complicated set of plots, interwoven expertly, cross over three books. These thick books chart the lives of 15 grand players (and their pawns) in the game.

The First Book was great.  Colorful material nicely expressing the tapestry of their world. It was quite a shock when the person you expected to be the Hero of the Series dies half way through, but still interesting. Things were looking bleak, but it was book I, so no problem.

Book Two was good. The plots unfolded. New players came to light. Life got even worse for some of the main characters, and a few shifted from minor characters to important ones and visaversa.

Book Three was okay. The plots unfolded and twisted. The story plodded on.  The unexpected happened a lot. 800 some odd pages and every possible course of actions was stymied. You find yourself rooting for a villian (well nobody is truly evil here... but nor are they good) beause he is the only one doing something (and having it done to him by his family).  Kings and Named characters are falling like leaves in Autumn.  Nothing gets resolved without causing more complications.

I loved the RPG. It prompted me to read the books.  I can see why someone might make an RPG after reading book I and the first half of II. Anndddd yet..   It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

At least of The Wheel of Time Saga resolves things.  Things get better and worse for the characters (almost cyclically). Here, IMO, nothing truly gets resolved without creating a greater mess of things.

Now I have read 6 reviews of book 4.  Longer, more complicated, and filled with more new characters that nobody seems to like, seems to be the general sentiment. And he seems to abandon several existing ones. Several of them note that it is amazing that someone can write 900 pages and not resolve anything. 

So are there 18 in this saga because it seems book IV is nothing more than the second part of ACT I?

So do I feel cheated? Yes.

Am I annoyed that the next book is not the end... and this is not a Trillogy (as previously advertised)  YES

Am I burning for some resolution of things? Yes.

Do I want it to be over... Jehovah be praised YES!!!

Is there anyone else that has this problem with the series?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Game of Thrones! I think I hate it.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 09:22:52 PM »
yes, absolutely, I tend to agree with your prognosis. (though I still love the series immensely)

The only point I think I'll disagree on is this one:

Nothing gets resolved without causing more complications

Thats life, and thats what makes his (RR) voice stand out from the pack a bit, imho.

BTW, Something went awry in Feast of Crows, something was a bit off. I cant put my finger on what exactly it was, but lets just say it wont be your favorite of the series Moon. The reviews you have read are correct.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:38:43 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 02:59:49 PM »
I have never read those books I must admit. This is mainly because I don't want to get into another big saga. Maybe when im finished the malazan book of the fallen series ill get around to it.

But the reason i wrote this post is because I think a series where nothing is resolved is a good idea. From the readers point view the books never get boring. With the wheel of time however nearly every confrontation is decisive. Whenever some characters collide one of them dies or is serously wounded. Hence alot of the excitement is lost early on.

Jordans solution to this is my main problem with the series. He has practically one battle a book even though they are so long. If he had less decisive battles he could prolong the series until the last battle without doing pages upon pages just describing something without anything happening.

Basically if it was a choice between unresolved(game of thrones) and resolved(wheel of time) ending I would go for this game of thrones saga presuming its as good as moon says it is.
A necromancer is only evil in the eye of those who hate him and only hated by those who do not understand him.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
Maybe when im finished the malazan book of the fallen series ill get around to it.

You're reading Erikson?
You are to be commended on this! Here, have a pie!

Bad news is that even if you have read the Bonehunters, which is the latest book, there are still four more to come. It is a ten book saga my lad!

A ten book marvel.

As for Game of Thrones and them other books, well I will be on them soon. They are next on my to-do fantasy litterature list.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline necromancer

• Journeyman
  • Twisted
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »
Well at least it isn't as long as the wheel of time. Im in the middle of so many series right now I just don't want to start another one.
A necromancer is only evil in the eye of those who hate him and only hated by those who do not understand him.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:41:58 AM »
I read the first book hungrily, awaiting more such treats to come.
But.
I didn't even finish the second one... how does one manage to write 60 consecutive pages about ... nothing?
I don't plan on returning to finish it one day.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)