llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The crystal light  (Read 20748 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: The crystal light
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 01:57:51 AM »
Professor Seraphiss had been caught flatfooted as the intruders attacked, but he reacted with a quiet discipline that belied his scholastic background.  In the seconds he needed to safely put his delicately-crafted Arcerometer down, the others in the room had decimated the barbaric intruders.

Seeing the sole surviving intruder reeling back with melody’s dagger through its hand, he stepped up briskly and painfully snatched the Phlogiston Rod from its nerveless fingers.  “How DARE you threaten us with such a weapon, you bounder!” he blustered as he briskly struck the pained creature in the abdomen with its own weapon.  With a rapid twist of the scepter’s adjustment ring, he discharged the weapon just above the stranger’s groin, causing it to croak briefly in agony before its red eyes rolled back and it dropped to the floor unconscious.  Releasing the remaining magical charge to finish off the dying intruder that had fallen before Melody’s flashing blade, he tucked the steaming magical weapon under his belt.  “Handy gadgets, those Phlogiston Rods.”

Near the small heap of debris that had been the creatures’ leader, several scorched fragments were all that remained of its strange helmet.  That mage had certainly eliminated him efficiently!  Nudging the smoking chunks of debris, Seraphiss could make out mystic symbols inscribed within the helmet’s lining.  It was hard to tell from the remaining fragments, but he suspected that he knew the helm’s purpose.

“Gentlemen, Madam,” he said, nodding gravely, “I suspect that the strange headgear of our late opponent was designed to relate his perceptions to some distant superior or accomplice.  We had best not linger, for our unseen foe may send more minions.  Additionally, I would prefer not to spend my afternoon convincing the gendarmerie that this violence was necessary.  Shall we be off?” the professor asked.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
  • I'm crazy? Insane? Don't care, you decide.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 02:11:19 AM »
Celak stared at the five creatures as they walked in. He knew they were not men, not completely at least. He watched as the Master of the Seven-Fold flame took one down, the man he had mistaken for a warrior obviously took the now headless one down with a cantrip from his book. Then the blind man, now quite obviously not as wizardly as first believed, got into it with a third. Melody had the forth it seemed, which left one. Celak grabbed both forearms with each hand, and drew both of his forearm daggers. He pulled his right hand over his shoulder, and drew his left back low. With a quick jerk, he let both daggers fly. As one dagger caught the wrist of the hand holding a rod, the second buried itself deep into that same arms shoulder. Celak drew both of his hip daggers fast as lightning and launched them both as well. One striking the creatures gut and the other its thigh. Grabbing his last remaining daggers from his boots, he rolled forward and launched the right hand one into the creatures neck. Grabing his shortsword from his back, he stabbed the creature in its other shoulder with his left hand dagger, and swung his short sword over his arm, effectivly decapitating the thing. He let the lifeless body fall. The last attack had been for show, the dagger in the creatures neck would have killed it anyway, but Celak was always one to end a fight with a flourish of style. He picked up the dagger that had struck the thing's wrist, wiped it and sheathed it. He carefully removed all daggers, wiping all the creature's blood off each one, and replaced it into its respective sheath. He kept his sword out, just in case someone needed a quick, deadly, yet helpful stab to save them from a beast.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:13:26 AM by LithTheBlade »
"Try to kill me, I'll be laughing," Celak

"You want to know who I am? Or WHAT I am? There is a huge difference," Kui

"Assassinate the assassin, then shoot the plane down!" Saul

"I once ate a skinned cat. It's owner didn't like me much after that," Dave

"Nymphs! OH MY MASTER NYMPHS!" Stev

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 06:15:11 AM »
"Well, that'sh that then, isn't it? If some crazed overlord with a shuperiority complex saw my face through that helmet-thing like Profesher Serarp... Like Doctor S said, then I guess he'd be wanting to hunt me down! I've no choice but to follow - at least until we find whoever was on the other end of that helmet!" The drunkard snapped his tome shut and clipped the lock back into place before sliding it in a sturdy sling which was wrapped around his torso like a bandoiler, before leaning in close to Melody, grinning mischeviously, "That means you and I will be travellin' together, luv! We'll see the world, we will!" The smell of alcohol on his breath was strong. He backed away soon, however, and shambled towards the door "Looks like just about everyone else has made their greetings! Aerthin, I be! First Caste Spellwriter of the Unearthed Grave! Well, lets be off! The less time we wait, the more ground we have ahead of reinforcements!"

As Aerthin stumbled out of the inn - hitting his shoulder hard on the door jamb - and started up the road with no idea of direction, he muttered beneath his breath, "I Aughtta make a sobering spell..."
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline mvcr4

• Liessi
  • Apprentice
  • Liessi, the shadow of darkness
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »
OOC : can i still join i was kinda busy but now i can be fully active if so then. . .

IC : Liessi was heading towards the destination that had taken this long just to glimpse when hes saw a group heading towards him on the path, wary after the encounters with bandits and such he slinked of the road into the shadows. he saw a rotound fellow, a young girl, a young man, an old man and someone who he could only just see in the darkness. as they  got closer he stepped out into the roadand stood there, waiting for the consequences.
"Watch for the shadow of darkness, then, and only then will you see true evil" - Liessi

Offline Callista Miala Moonshade

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
OOC: yeah it's alright if you join as long as its alright with the others i shouldn't see why not!

IC: Melody nodded and walked after Aerthin stepping over the smoking pile of ash. She started down the long dark road keeping a close eye on the wandering drunk, she looked behind her to make sure the others where following. Melody heard a rustle up a head and turned her eyes to the front peering into the penertrating darkness. there stood a stranger "Friend or foe" called melody stopping and grabbing Aerthin's arm to stop him from carrying on.
'What goes up!! Must come down,"

Offline mvcr4

• Liessi
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
OOC : thanks! :D

IC : using a small incantation, infact the only one he knew, Liessi lit a small light on the end of his finger, banishing the darkness and also allowing him to see the group properly for the first time. He tightened the leather straps holding the black cuirass snugly to his torso, and pressed his black iron greaves against his legs. "So, you must be Melody and the party on the quest to destroy the crystal orb, i wish to help." After this he threw a crinkled up paper at the girl and awaited the groups reaction
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 07:11:29 PM by mvcr4 »
"Watch for the shadow of darkness, then, and only then will you see true evil" - Liessi

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
Tellas was still irritated at the world, but he'd go with them.  He'd show them all what a blind man could do.  He was walking slightly apart, so he could hear better; the group was making all sorts of noise.  He tapped the ground in front of him with his staff as he went, so as not to trip over anything.  He halted when the stranger spoke up.  He didn't sound like an enemy; maybe he would prove less a fool than these other people.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »
Eyeing the besmirched contents of his case, the gleaming armor and delicately-crafted equipment he had designed to maintain it, Willisher felt a stab of remorse.  He had given up a great deal to develop this gear, but still couldn’t be certain that it would withstand the hellish radiations of the crystal orb.  Even more discomforting, the Stelliscaff Armour had proved to be much more fragile than he had expected, with significant harm to its resistance array’s radial flanges from no more abuse than the clumsy fumbling of a retching drunkard!

“Well, what’s done is done,” sighed the disgruntled academic as he finished his inspection.  He hadn’t planned to don the armor so soon, but he never would have expected to encounter creatures bent on stopping the ill-conceived quest, either.  Rifling through the loose items in the bottom of the massive crate, he drew forth a dog-eared sketch book.  Flipping to one of the earlier incantations, Ganthelm’s Instant Esquire, he pulled out an old-fashioned robe of silk, a bead-encrusted foreign hat, and intricately-embroidered felt boots.  Pausing to first squint at his battered notes, the professor’s experienced hands rapidly completed the movements needed for the spell as he recited the odd doggerel that the undignified animation called for.  Flipping the hat into the air, it caught in place as if landing on an invisible hat rack.  The robe followed, draped as if worn by an invisible man, with its sleeves dangling inches too long.  Finally, he tossed forth the boots, which were caught by the robe and swiftly placed upon nonexistent feet.

“I’ll need a hand fitting on the armor, then I’ll need you to carry the case back to my residence and clean it thoroughly.  While you are there, fetch a spare set of radial flanges…”  Pausing to look at his inebriated colleague, he revised his request.  “Better make it two.”

The strange markings and intricate fluting of the armor glittered in the light as Professor Seraphiss donned the warlike equipment.  Small tubes carried liquids of strange, mystical significance among the interlocking plates of the unusual harness, and a strange feeling permeated the air, as if the gear emitted sound outside the dimensions perceived by humanity.  In a few minutes, he was ready to travel, clad in a harness of gleaming silvery armor. 

Tucking his captured Phlogiston Rod into a ring on the side of the armor, he looked around at the others.  “Where did you plan to go first?” he asked.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2006, 01:48:14 AM »
OOC: Hell, I don't mind, join in and welcome.

IC: Celak followed Melody quietly. Hearing the Professor, he turned and waved at him to hurry up and follow. He slipped out the entrance to the Inn and immediately disappeared into the shadows. With is being darker out, he had no need of his skin darkening cream. He put his hood up, but left his bangs showing. If his newly aquired party knew what to look for, they could always see him. And if an enemy did, well, they would catch a face full of daggers. He crept along with Melody and the drunken fool. Celak didn't particularly like the man, but thought mabye when sober, the man might not be such a idiot. He saw a man slip into the dark, sit for a second, and then go into the street. Celak made his presence noticable, but just barely, checking the man's attention to detail. He saw the man look directly at him, and smiled under his hood. He listened for a second, then stepped into the light when the man threw the paper. "Well met, I saw you noticed my presence. Not bad eyes for most people. You have guessed right, we are indeed the party going to attempt to destroy the orb. However, just a thought," Celak looked to Melody, "Are you sure a rouge like myself should come? I'm more equipped to the shadows and darkness. An orb of light would seriously reduce my usefulness, however, honor exists even among the unlawful, I stay by my word, and would still like to come, if you would be so kind as to have me," Celak turned his attention back to the stranger. "Well met, once more, I am Celak, and if Melody here decides to keep me, I would be the partys goodly rouge, honor among theives as they say, I only steal from thos who can afford it," Celak stated with an open smile, grabbing his new purse, and tossing it a few times. "Funds mean nothing when Celak the Rouge is on the job." Celak put the purse back in his side pouch and crossed his arms, grabbing the hilts of his daggers. Rouges were not known to be trusting people.

Offline mvcr4

• Liessi
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2006, 07:32:06 AM »
"I thank you, Celak, for acknowledging one of my greater traits, there seems to be no lies in this party so i tell you this, should you accept my service, that i am a trained assassin, highly skilled within the order. but fear not i turned from that path long ago, now I am a treasure hunter, searching for the treasure of zafira. i am highly skilled with the katana  and can meld in the dakness, as can your friend here, so i may prove a valuable asset. I leave the decision with you." with this Liessi sat on a tree stump just off the road  and began sharpening his katana.

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2006, 02:50:56 AM »
Celak listened to the newcomer. As soon as he heard assassin, he tensed up. Oh what a joy, to be in a party with an assassin. The same type of people who hunt my kind. Well, just because Melody lets him in the quest, doesn't mean I have to trust him. Celak thought to himself. He looked at Leissi sharpening the katana blade, and was actually cautious for once. Celak had heard of Leissi a while ago, when Leissi had still been a key assassin in many deaths. Thinking back, he remember hearing the man had given up his profession, and Celak relaxed for the first time in years. The man had seen him hiding, and that was no small feat. Celak trusted no one with his life, but with this new job, he had no choice. Whatever choice Melody made, Celak would follow it down to the last. "Melody, I do believe this man has valuble combat abilities and skills. He would most definately be an asset to our cause," Celak said in his high class manner. He glanced at Leissi again, and gave a look that made sure the assassin knew that Celak had heard of his work. All the while, Celak's hands never left the hilts of his daggers.

Offline mvcr4

• Liessi
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
I see you have recognised my unfaltering skills and stealthy reputation. Don't worry, my predecessors may have hunted thieves, but i am only interested in the treasure of zafira and i believe aiding you on this quest will get me ever closer to that goal. I shall lend my skills with stealth and the sword to assist in the salvation of the great races of the world.

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 01:44:35 AM »
Celak looked Leissi strait in the eyes as he made the statement. "Alright, but if you so much as breathe wrong, I'm gone, my life is all I have left," then glancing at the bulging purse freshly stolen from a noble, "That and money," Celak said with a laugh. He uncrossed his arms and gave the rouges salute to the man.

Offline mvcr4

• Liessi
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 06:56:16 AM »
OOC : are we the only ones herre now or what?

IC : "If you like money you had better have this, the latest failed find on my hunt. It is just a basic trinket but it maybe worth more than it seems, or not, thats up to you, look upon it as a peace treaty." Liessi then put his sword back into his sheath, fully sharpened, and drew a small bag from inside his cuirass and threw it towards Celak.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 12:34:04 PM by mvcr4 »

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 07:28:52 PM »
Tellas sighed irritably.  "Can you please stop making so much noise?  It makes it difficult to listen."  He waited for the others to start moving again.  "And can we please be on our way?  I don't know the way, and directions are wasted on me."

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2006, 03:27:37 AM »
Celak caught the bag with a flick of his wrist. "Very well, considering the facts as of right now, I suggest we follow the irritable blind mans idea and continue, something is moving deep in the shadows, and I know now what it may be," Celak stated. He bowed to Leissi and put his hood up, slipping back into the comfortable shadows.

Offline mvcr4

• Liessi
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »
"I shall follow and aid when i can but remember i will prioritze this quest and along the way I will search for the treasure of zafira." Liessi drew a concealed dagger, sharpened that with the stone, then slid it back into the sheath on his shoulder. "Well are we going then or what?" He clicked his fingers and the light went out, bathing him, once more, into darkness.

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »
Melody had been listening to the tense converstion in the clearing "all are welcome" she said with a lift of her hand, She turned to the blind man and nodded not that he would of seen "of course best to keep a move on before anymore trouble is directed our way" with that said she walked further into the shadows and then stopped, turned and beckoned for the others to follow.

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:20 AM »
Celak saw Melody motion the others to follow, and shadowed her. Best for the group that the old assassin stay in the group, and the rouge remain unseen. Better to stab an enemy from behind than be caught in the open, Celak followed that motto with his life.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2007, 04:10:39 AM »
Tellas followed her, his staff tapping the ground regularly to keep him from tripping on anything.  He decided he didn't have much use for these people; they were just like everyone else.  He'd show them, he'd show them all.  But for now, he needed to calm down.  They hadn't gone very far when he paused, listening.  The group wasn't the loudest thing on earth, but they weren't quiet either.  But it almost sounded like... there was something else.  A sound under the noise the group was making.  Like... something scurrying.  A rat, maybe?  After listening for a few minutes, he didn't hear anything more definite, and continued on with the group.

Hateful red eyes peered into the darkness after the group.  They belonged to a small creature not entirely unlike a rat.  Must follow them for the master, the master wants the pretty.  They mustn't destroy the pretty.  Let them lead to the pretty, let them sniff it out.

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »
"You heard something didn't you Tellas?" asked melody slowing to his pace and looking at him "do not worry i heard it also it's following us in the darkness" Melody scanned the surronding looking for anything out of the oridnary but couldnt see anything she kept her ears pricked and continued to walk alongside Tellas listening and watching. her footsteps were light but not completly silent.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
Tellas paused.  Well, if she had heard something too, then maybe there was something.  "It sounds like a rat, or something like one."  He listened, trying to pinpoint it.  "It's too small and too faint for me to find it." 

Offline LithTheBlade

• The Blood Angel
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007, 05:43:33 AM »
Celak moved cloaked in darkness and completely silent. He heard something small, scratchy, a rat mabye. He glanced around, and regreted not having his skin darkening paste on. Celak crept up behind Melody, hoping she wouldn't try to stab him, he whispered into her ear, "Something else other than I is hidden in the darkness, do you want me find the source? Or let it be?" Celak tossed his hood back, revealing his stark white hair. He changed his step, and allowed himself to make small noises with his walk. While he was now in the open, revealing his presence, his gaurd was not down. The rouge would not be caught unaware by anything.

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 11:29:34 AM »
Melody took a sidewards glance at Celak and nodded "try your hardest to locate the noise if it is just a rat let it be if more do not do anything just report back ok" Melody turned to the rest of the group "listen up! i want everyone to walk as quietly as they can ok. i know it sounds strange to ask but it is for your own good." Melody nodded turned back to Tellas "keep your ears the sharpest that you can remember, this may be more than just a rat, and we need to no wether it's friendly or if were looking for another fight so soon in the journey."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 04:17:08 PM »
The rat-like creature pressed close to the wall.  Lordling has sniffed Neshil.  If they find Neshil, it will anger the master.  Neshil must hide.

Tellas strained to hear.  After a few minutes, he shook his head.  "It stopped," he whispered.  This was beginning to fray his nerves.  It was always a mistake to listen hard for faint sounds, his imagination started to act on them.  But he couldn't avoid it.  He was beginning to think this was important.