llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mortis Arcanum Open Call  (Read 4579 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline KingOfChaos

• Apprentice
    • http://www.realmsofevil.net/
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« on: April 21, 2003, 04:04:24 PM »
Realms of Evil Games Publishing has finally completed the first phase content editing for Careers in Villainy (our massive prestige class book) and we are now looking to start to work on the second book of The Dead Will Worship series, Mortis Arcanum.

What we want:  We want detailed spells and magical items with a evil or cursed bent to them.  We would like this book to have at least 500 new spells (at least 50 per level) in it and around 200 new magical items, magical item properties, or artifacts.  No real 'theme' exists for this book besides the dark nature of the content and will be a general use resource for DMs and players who want spells and items with a vile bent to them.

Authors whose work is chosen for Mortis Arcanum will be paid 3 cents a word, 30 days after the book is released and will be illustrated by Kevin H. Yancey, the main Realms of Evil Games artist (whose work can be seen at the main Realms of Evil Games website).  Contributing Authors will also be given one contributor's copy of Mortis Arcanum, free of charge.

Send Submissions to: RoETyrant@aol.com
Open Call Closes:  August 30th

I have also posted a a thread about it at the Pits of Evil where I have awnsered some questions about the Open Call already :)

http://www.realmsofevil.net/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.cgi?board=d20gen;action=display;num=1050740320

I hope this isn't against any rules.
Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil Games Publishing
http://www.realmsofevil.net/

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 12:36:23 AM »
Let me see if I can understand this. You want the players to be evil. Uhhh, No.

All games, from D&D to Tetris to poker teach something, let the player some away with something from thier experience, and I don't mean XP. Gaming affects people and people's points of veiw. They play, they have fun, they relax. Teaching people to relax by being evil or sadistic is wrong. Maybe some players are getting tired of trying to be good two shoes all the time and getting screwed by the GM's villans who don't play by the rules. Well too bad. You don't have to be upstanding all the time, but sickos skining cats and beating children with the rotting corpses is not a game.

Moral diemmas are great, they give the players a situation where they have a close call between what's right, and what's easy. And they suffer the consequences for their actions. Villians run off into the night with the captive maiden and bulging church coffers and do it all over again the next day. No consequnces, no remorse. I do not want to contribute to @$$holes becoming bigger or better @$$holes.

:evil:  :x  :evil:
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 01:26:26 AM »
I don't know: even heroes can have a dark side, why not try to tempt them? And what about thieves and other unscrupulous characters?

And most dark-magic items will be cursed to some extent, so their use would not be that simple for the villains: they would have to consider only using the item under critical circumstances to avoid exposure to the curse.

Fantasy is full of such dark items, like the One Ring, or the Necronomicon from Lovecraft. I don't see what's wrong with cataloguing them.

ephe!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 08:44:21 PM »
:twisted: Did I see a certain Book of the Names of the Dead being mentioned? WAHAHAHA!

IA CTHULHU!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 08:45:11 PM »
Think I should submit the Hellcoat?

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 08:56:06 PM »
Yes.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 09:00:44 PM »
Allright.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 04:28:20 AM »
Everybody wants to be evil occasionally. And if you are agains that, then take some of the things and give them to your enemies to use. Who says evil has to follow the exact rules the PCs do. A couple new classes or unique spells may be just the thing to make an encounter that much more memorable. There are some grand ideas for bad guys.

This post is fine for the forum. I think the only thing I would be agains is blatant advertising, this is a creative request and is fine with me. Might have to bend my mind a little bit and try a submit a few things myself!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Evil...
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 06:40:34 AM »
Those of you who think this might be a good idea have never played in an all Evil, all the time campaign.  While the intellectual challange of scheming and tricking those you are with is fun for about a session or two, the inability to trust your cohorts or believe what they say gets old, really, really fast.  EonE campaigns also tend to cause friction in the group as there are lots of player character death from player character causes.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 06:48:33 AM »
LOL.

Had to laugh. About sums it up, that is why I take the "use it as the antagonist" angle.

Guess some roleplayer personalities span the world.

BUT, you have to admit....you gotta try it!!! A caveat being you need a good DM that can handle it. It really is a lot easier being the bad guy as a DM vs. trying to be the good guy and stop just ruthless mindless killing. Players never seem to have any goal except mayem and destroying towns. At least that is what we ended up doing. No subtlety at all. It should almost be the PCs trying to develop schemes and plots just like the DM and the DM trying to thwart them. I did it a long time ago when I first started so I was in my hack 'n' slash mode. I think I would like to give it another go thoug, this time actually trying to be evil in a smart way.

Level 3

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 06:49:06 AM »
Yes, yes. I think that's the final limit put on playing Evil: somewhere along the path, it stops being funny...

I think the only way to play such campaign with few deaths would be to have some strong motivator... revenge could it be. Revenge against a stronger mutual enemy may even cause Evil guys to join with Good guys.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 06:54:55 AM »
Join the good guys? No way. Kill them and reap revenge for yourself. YAHHH!! :twisted:

Level 3

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 06:55:35 AM »
Quote from: "Agar"
All games, from D&D to Tetris to poker teach something...

Somehow, SOME people do never learn...  :roll:  :(

No consequnces, no remorse.

That's the thing we should make granted if we DM Evil guys...

Hmm, this question seems to return over and over. We may have to createa new thread for it...

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 06:56:55 AM »
Quote from: "Strolen"
Join the good guys? No way. Kill them and reap revenge for yourself. YAHHH!! :twisted:

The idea was both are too weak to achieve revenge... so they won't kill one another... hopefully!

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Aside
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 06:58:21 AM »
Hey, we broke 1000 posts with this thread.

Cue balloons and confetti.

Level 3

Barbarian Horde

A Lazy Penguin says:
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2003, 11:50:49 AM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MORE THAN A THOUSAND POSTS! YEAH!
GROG FOR EVERYONE!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2003, 01:34:03 PM »
...For those who feel that evil, by the very basic nature of it, cannot work together: I present the book 'Villains by Necessity', as well as the note of Thieve's Guilds, Hitler, Napoleon, the note that 'evil empires' remain a staple of fantasy everywhere, and that evil is nothing more than the desire to get ahead, without the considerations for the [n]good[/b] of others that stop other characters. Many corporate sorts, interested only in climbing the ladder after the elusive carrot of a higher income, could be considered evil. In all honesty, I myself might be considered evil, by many people - I don't really care about the people who I don't consider my family.

This doesn't mean I, or others who mighty classify as 'evil' (such a thing only truly exists as a concept, anyway - good and evil are both ways to justify what you do and why the other guy needs to do things your way)go out randomly slaughtering people and backstabbing out partners. A utterly unreptentant psychotic 'Chaotic Evil' might - but few people fall into that extreme. Neutral Evil, in D&D terms, would be best called extreme selfishness. And lawful evil - hey, follow the rules. Just figure out how to use them without breaking them. And that's only if you're serious about it. A lot of evil types might be perfectly content with their lives, as long as it isn't disturbed.

Evil people can have intensely strong friendships. Love, joy, camraderie - those aren't exclusive to Good Guys, after all. Neither are hate, fear, and rage Bad Guy only emotions.

Killing a helpless foe is evil - but perfectly logical, to ensure it doesn't heal and come after you later.

Evil campaigns can happen just as surely as good ones. It's simply that very few people have even the slightest clue as to how an evil character would even act, and therefore often play it in the twinkish fashion that most people link to 'evil' players.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2003, 04:21:41 PM »
That was me with the thousand posts, bye the way.
Kassil's right.
Evil is all relative, man.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2003, 04:53:17 PM »
Quote from: "Kassil"
Evil campaigns can happen just as surely as good ones. It's simply that very few people have even the slightest clue as to how an evil character would even act, and therefore often play it in the twinkish fashion that most people link to 'evil' players.

Oh yes, they can happen. But I think, instead of very few, many of the groups that try and play evil have no concept of how it should work out. I like to say I was in a pretty experienced group, with the exception of me at the time, and it broke down relatively quickly. It takes a great deal of self restraint to play evil like a good guy except with different motives and desires. When you know you are evil, you know you can get away with things you can't or wouldn't normally do, and I think few are able to resist the temptation to go nuts and start womping on the weak...."because you can, baby. Yeaah." Maybe not all out slaughter, but just laying the smack down on somebody that bugs you where you would normally try and reason. Why reason, smack down the annoyance and get what you want. A hard pull to resist when you know you are evil...

Level 3

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2003, 06:06:01 PM »
More a case of an OOC thing, then, I think.

Evil people rarely think themselves evil, beyond the occasional sadist...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2003, 08:56:11 PM »
Most definately, and I do agree with your entire argument for the most part. I just think it is the rare group that can actually play evil well.

Level 3

Offline Kassil

• Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2003, 04:51:18 AM »
That I can certainly agree with.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2003, 09:22:22 AM »
I agree to the agreement.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2003, 10:32:23 AM »
As do I !! :)
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Mortis Arcanum Open Call
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2003, 07:14:59 PM »
I agree with the agreement to the agreement.