llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Adventurers-Upon-Return (Chap II)  (Read 40958 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Adventurers-Upon-Return (Chap II)
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2007, 11:39:32 PM »
---Aerex, Talia, and now Kadarin are on the outside of the monastery, past the gate, in the courtyard, beneath a stone staircase leading up ten long and wide steps to the double door entrance of the monastery proper, the same door through which Vorodon and Dujek had just followed Mazoma through.

---Vee is poised fifty feet up the main tower, on the window sill of a small nondescript room, with a bed, a desk, and a door on the opposite side. The tower goes up at least another seventy feet to its summit, Keykold reasons, and while gazing upon the room's contents, he spies a parchment beneath the moldy, burlap bedsheet, protruding conspicuosly and yet barely noticeable at the same time.

This is a strange state I find myself in. My heart is filled with venom, yet I can not bring myself to betray my humble and divine liege. My life is his till he releases me.
I ask only that you free me to wander the lands again, to play the songs of my people.
I cannot offer reward save for the good deed you would perform…I have nothing but myself and my songs.

Care is needed in this place.
Evil lurks here now, pulsing through the walls as blood through veins.
Neither shadow nor hidden place is safe.
There is only dark magic and death.
I care not for a single soul here save mine, as all the good and light within these walls has been turned to a vile mockery of what once was.

I will sing of your victory for years to come.

D.R.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:40:04 AM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2007, 11:44:42 PM »
Donovan sat on the edge of his bed working the mortar and pestle diligently. A sickening feeling was growing in him. His mother told him remorse would do that to a man…and no herb would cure it.

The small blue flowers were a fine powder now. He poured the mixture into a small folded scrap of parchment and tucked it into the cuff of his sleeve. Donovan placed his tools back into the satchel and closed it carefully.
The fiend had the advantage. There was no recourse for him but to place the powdered flowers into Lazanne’s drink. Alzamus would think it a sickness cure, he was sure of that. It was what would be expected of him. The sticky sweet flavor was common to his cures, having treated children in his home village since he was young.

He picked up his rebec and strapped it onto his belt. Sliding his forearm through the brace on the back of his boudran he walked towards the door, the feeling in his gut slowly subsiding.
This was the only way…
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:55 PM »
"This is bad," Talia whispered to Aerex, once the others had left the hall.  "They could get into difficulties.  Although I suppose they'll be heading for where this wizard is."  She looked around, trying to decide what to do.  "I don't like this.  Let's just kill this fellow and be done with it."  She started carefully towards the stairs the others had gone up, hopefully they could slip in, now that the gate wasn't being watched.  

This place had a bad feel.  If what she'd heard was accurate, there had been a slaughter of epic proportions here.  That sort of thing always made the barriers between the realm of the living and the spirit world dangerously thin.  The sooner they got out of here, the better.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »
The feast chamber was impressive.  Really impressive. 

Too bad he wasn’t going to stay.

Grabbing Dujek by the arm, Vorodon whirled around and ran after the behemoth!  Brother Tieron, that poor, hysterical monk, wasn’t going to be abandoned!

(Exuent, stage left! Lets try not to fall down the stairs!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:59:33 AM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2007, 02:58:15 AM »
As quietly as he could, Vee pryed the window open and made his way into the small room. The air was cold and stale, old castle it seemed. The stone underfoot seemed steady enough, good construction. Master Turnavis would chide him for not noticing the lattice work in the stone carving. the monastary was old, at least 400 years if the latticework was imitation, and perhaps as old as 800 if it was genuine. Useless tidbits it would seem, but he took them in anyway.

(OOC - time to start exploring into the keep, looking for things of value, potential weapons and traps.)

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2007, 05:07:33 AM »
Half eaten partridge fell out of his mouth, as Alzamus gaped at the fleeing half-ogre and his diminutive friend. If it was one thing he despised, it was bad manners. Not his bad manners, as much as those of others. Of course no one ever told him he had bad manners and it was just as well. Alzamus wouldn't have understood anyway.

To think that Mazoma and Galod have languished the entire day in the kitchen, and THIS is what they get? THIS is their reward!?

"You DO NOT get to leave before - I - SAY SO!" the wizard bellowed, his middle aged, but fair face contorted with anger. There was the jarring sound of breaking glass as he threw a crystal decanter into the wall. It had been half filled with wine and hit the stone wall to the right of the half ogre. Drops of crimson liquid and crystalline pieces of glass rained down on the fleeing pair.

"Ankathom Sirram Sindal Sindalion!"

The voice of the mage was deep and ferocious. It sounded almost like some ancient curse. There was no doubt he had been deeply offended. All the while Madame Mazoma screamed and cursed, her voice full of outrage and righteous fury! The scandal! To displease the master so!

(OOC: Details about the spell has been sent to Murometz for saving throws and the like)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:18:32 AM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2007, 06:02:14 AM »
It takes a lot to affect a hardened Ouzquin Dremorix warrior. But this made Moruz's face turn pale. without even noticing himself, he muttered a poem softly beneath his breath.

A scream of silent corpses, stacked up in a row.
Life ground.
Souls shattered.
Flesh a feast to Vauriko.

The poem was a tribute to a mass-murder in a similar situation; one which detailed the death of a dozen Clerics of Axtrami in a minor temple to the god in the desert. Yes, it looked like Vauriko - the Ouzquin Dremorix incarnation of Death - had fed well, here. Those glazed eyes jeered at Moruz accusingly, dancing around him as though this were his fault. Shaking his head pointedly, the glass shifter focussed on the half-door which he had spied. He checked the door carefully to see if there were any tampering with it, and spoke in a loud whisper - the echo of the cathedral carrying his voice down to the others, "There is another exit through..." He cut off his words as an urgent thump sounded on the other side of the door down below. Instantly, he ducked down and peered over the edge cautiously. The others could hide, try to climb to the loft, go back down through the window, or open the door. There wasn't many other options. Paranoid with the feel of the corpses behind him, Moruz also kept half-an-eye on the half-door in the loft.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2007, 09:45:15 AM »
"Well Mouse, " Kadarin whispered, "I think we should follow Talia and the inspector."

Kadarin could sense the somewhat conforting presence of the charm both he and Mouse bore, but it would provide scant protection against spellfire or a Giant's stone.  Sitting outside accomplished nothing.

"Follow me."  Though not a trained expert, Kadarin knew a little about keeping a low profile, using the deep shadows to conceal his approach to the monestary.  Hopefully the others have distracted them enough..

"Mouse - this 'bad magic' you mentioned - how clearly can you sense it?  Is it a general aura" again whispered. A pause. "Or can you sense specific areas?"

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
Aerex wanted to protest, but he found his feet agreeing with Talia.  "How do you propose we do that?" he whispered.  It sounded snide, but it was an honest question.  This wizard had a giant and an Amazon guarding him, and the sorcerer's own power must have been strong as well.  Taking any of them head on would be risky.  "Maybe we should keep our stealth advantage," he offered.  "Hide in the wings, wait for something to happen before we jump into action."  Aerex thought it sounded like the most tactically favorable choice.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2007, 01:00:39 AM »
Talia shook her head as she made to slip inside.  As long as they could get inside before the giant returned, they *should* be able to hide.  "Too much uncertainty," she whispered.  "The longer this goes on, the worse our chances become.  To kill a snake, you have to cut the head off.  The more we wait, the bigger advantage the wizard has."  She was silent, trying to make sure they weren't going to be spotted.  Then she whispered,low enough that only Aerex could hear her (and just barely) , "I have enough ghosts attatched to me, I don't want any more."  Then, in a slightly louder whisper, she addressed Kadarin.  "It might be better for the boy to stay out here, I have a feeling this isn't going to end well."
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2007, 02:33:18 AM »
Having found nothing more of value or interest in the mutinous Bard's chambers, Vee crept out into the hallway. There were distant sounds, likey the rumbling of the earth, moving through the stone. It was a comforting sound to those who were used to doing things underground, or around large amounts of stone. It was alive, it moved, it breathed. Most people were usually too noisy or impatient, or just not listened so never heard the stone speak. Down was the direction of dungeons, catacombs and barracks, places the rogue had no interest in visiting. Lords, clerics and wizards always went up. He slunk down the hallway until he found a staircase leading further up the tower, it was time to be cautious...

(OOC - check for traps, magical and otherwise mr DM, and take me up, up, and away)

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: January 24, 2007, 05:27:27 AM »
Ghosts? Aerex thought.  What did that mean?  Was she talking about the others?  Were the deaths of the two clerics weighing on her as well?  Or was she talking about him?  He pushed the thought out of his mind as best he could.  There was not much to do about it now, whatever it was.

"Better have him wait out here on the staircase," Aerex added.  "If you need him, you can run out and get him."  He looked cautiously back up the staircase.  Creeping, he stepped ahead of Talia.  "I'll take point," he whispered, fingering his nocked arrow.  "I've probably got the best range."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Online valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: January 24, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »
Kadarin shook his head. "I expect we will need his help before this ends, and he may be what differentiates the ending from bad to good.  There will be no time to go get him. Mouse - It's your choice, but I think I am going to need your help. "

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2007, 09:39:07 AM »
Henge looked to take his cue from the Returned One. Seeing none, raced his mind did. He knew the Way. Henge simply sprawled to the back wall, just a few steps from the door, in an odd manner... looking to be appropriately dead in his gore splattered robe. His staff was there, right at hand. Spells were upon his lips. He knew the entangling vine should capture and hold those foolish enough to enter. However, not knowing what manner of man, beast, or monster, was at the door. Discression be valor's better part.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
Aethelstan smoothly brought the sword around in the practiced movements of the “Half-Sword” sword drill he had known since his youth.  In his mind, he could hear the holy chants that had filled the monastery of his youth, the blessed words of justice and repentance, sweet music that filled the air as the brethren conducted their rituals. 

The music of his memories grew stronger, as he heard the words of the ancient psalm of lament.  The words of timeless sorrow echoed beautifully within the wonderful acoustics of the chapel, and he knew that he, too, was singing.  The revenant cleric held the sword ready as he tirelessly waited, ready to bring justice to those who had profaned this holy place.

(OOC:  If someone enters that looks likely/capable of this carnage, they’re gonna get it!  If they don’t look capable of such damage, he will attempt to capture them.)
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2007, 07:56:45 PM »
Donovan looked up from the table just as the two “visitors” turned to run out. Seeing the magus grow angry he backed away from the table.
This was his only chance.

As the wizard began casting his spell, Donovan moved himself between Lazanne and Alzamus. With a quick motion he pulled the powder from his sleeve and dashed it into the girl's wine glass, using the disturbance to mask his actions.

“Are you MAD?!? You could hurt the child” Donovan yelled at the old mage “I’m not one to stand by and watch the death of an innocent! Take care in the waving of your hands. You’ve entrusted the girl and child to my care, if you continue carelessness in her presence I’ll have to restrict her to her rooms.”

Donovan straitened himself and with an indignant look on his face stood to face Alzamus. “I appreciate your…determination to keep this place civil and polite, but a spell could go awry and hit her. I’m saying this for her, and your, own good Alzamus.”
He softened the stern look he wore, letting his stance relax somewhat.
“You gave me the honor of protecting her health, and I plan on doing it…from ANY threat, including wayward spells of a careless wizard!”
He sat down slowly, his eyes darting between Alzamus and Lazanne. Satisfied the mage understood his concern, he looked again at the girl.
“Drink your wine child, it’s good for the blood and the “birthing” humours…”
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:17:13 PM by the Wanderer »
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2007, 08:39:40 PM »
<OOC>So, in the spirit of a lively finale, I present short and sweet posts, in lieu of verbose ones  :P

Chapel Trio

The knocking, the type of knocking a mischievous child might attempt, came once more, a fourth time now, and suddenly, as Henge and Moruz tensed, the lock on the door swiveled and 'clicked'. It took only a second or two, but the creaking of the slowly opening door seemed like an eternity, though not for Aethelstan, for whom eternity was a relative term.

The door opened, but no one came through, nor was anyone or anything visible. The only thing that crossed the threshold was a chilling draft of night air, moaning, and further adding to the morbid moratorium’s surreal ambiance.

Confused, Moruz kept staring down toward the now open door from above, while Aethelstan stood simple vigil, uncaring, unswerving, and unafraid. Henge leaned back against the wall, ever ready to play ‘dead’.

Suddenly, as the draft caressed the magical vine, another sound could be heard, near and rapidly approaching. A screaming, cursing monk, (he had to be a monk with all the St. Senren and Andur references, peppered in with his profanity-laced tirade) was calling blight down on some wizard and some giant with phrases that would make a sailor blush.

A survivor? Aethelstan suddenly thought. A giant? Moruz suddenly tensed. Danger! Henge surmised…coming this way.

<OOC>Next group's scene is coming up, ummm, next.</OOC>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:45:17 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
Aethelstan stood, chanting, his mind filled with purpose.  The will to do justice filled him like a goblet overflowing with wine.  Then, as he watched, the carven portal to the chapel slowly creaked open!  No visible agency propelled the doors; they gently opened as if some spirit of death had chosen that moment to join the trio of champions within.

Seconds later, the clinging vines rustled, as if a gentle breeze had stirred.

And Aethelstan KNEW!  The Evil that stalked these halls had come to him, had come to its Nemesis, the Hand of Andur!

He was not distracted by the approaching giant or his frantic victim. “Justice will have its day!” he thought.

He KNEW, and he struck!
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: January 24, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »
Vee

<OOC> checking for traps during the ascent. One check succeeded! Both 'find' and 'remove/avoid'</OOC>

Vee carefully and studiously ascended the great spiral stair, every step analyzed, every movement efficiently measured. He made his way along the shadowed tower, like a prowling possum, alone in the night.

Reaching what seemed to be the final landing, Vee paused and listened. Nothing…nothing but the wind licking at the stone walls outside.

He glanced at the smooth wall and began to circle the tower’s zenith. In the center of the donut-shaped hall, the staircase’s abyss, evoked vertigo, and thus Keykold stayed close to the wall and away from the chasm.

He now could spy two doors, one each, on opposite sides of the circular hall. One, no doubt must lead to the Great Bell, Vee thought, looking up once more and seeing the wooden latticework twenty feet higher, which cradled the mighty bronze thing, its reverberating signal once summoning the monks to prayer, but now still and silent. The other door was a mystery. An abbot’s fancy quarters perhaps? The humble chamber of some erstwhile bell ringer?

Vee froze suddenly, as he noticed something at the ground beneath one of the doors. A fine, near invisible wire, a thread of dust to the common eye and no more, was suddenly visible to the tomb-raider. A trip wire? That made little sense, outside a door, Vee wagered, but what then? Vee quickly scanned the stone tile below and in front of the second door, as he slowly made his way around to the other side. No wire. Hmmmm.

Vee suddenly realized something else. He was completely alone in this wind-haunted tower.

Carefully with silken fingers, Vee removed the wire. An innocent looking thing, and would probably make a great garrote, he smiled. No easy task this was however for the unskilled. Keykold removed the wire just so...whatever its purpose had been, it would alert no one now...of anything.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:04:55 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: January 24, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »
Kadarin, Talia, Aerex, Mouse, and...Koschei?

As Talia, Aerex, and Kadarin whispered and crouched, Mouse smiled. He was mute, but not deaf. They cared, he had found a family to call his own. No giant, or wizard, or deathly specter could change that!

The albino turned to Kadarin, as the young mage addressed him. He didn’t have to think for any amount of time. Shaking his head vociferously, the boy informed the mage that he would follow him no matter the danger, or at least that’s how Kadarin understood it. He had learned, but not yet mastered, the boy’s unique brand of sign language.

So, Matere, Aerex thought to himself, don’t know how you ended up here, eh? Doesn’t matter now does it? Now you need to protect Talia, her name always came up first in his thoughts, the hapless (to Aerex) mage, and now his scrawny, adopted apprentice as well. A far cry from Jantir, this…he concluded, and stalked forward, up the stairs and through the closed but now unlocked outer door.

Talia followed wordlessly. She would have to have her wits about her now, she reasoned. These three were counting on her, as were others. She knew what had to be done, despite herself. She had found more and more lately that her own thoughts were of Jantir, where Konos had said her father might now be, not of mountain peaks and hinterlands, and certainly not of haunted, giant-infested monasteries.

But first, the Bladedancer thought, as she steeled herself, whatever foulness lay within these stonewalls, had to be dealt with, there was no other way.

She followed the crouching inspector, as the fearful, but wily Kadarin, spells running through his mind like physical sensations along nerve endings, brought up the rear with Mouse.

The classic order, Talia managed a weak smile. Rogue ahead, fighter next, mages in the rear. She hoped for the best, as the quartet entered the long, empty foyer of the monastery. Commotion could be heard from a nearby chamber, but the weird acoustics of the place, prevented an easily identifiable direction from presenting itself.

Aerex pointed at the floor suddenly, and froze. There was Dujek’s lizard, flailing its little lizard arms, while perilously perched on its hind legs, trying to get the inspector’s attention. The lizard kept bobbing its head up and down, mouth agape, and then finally turned, and scurried off, turning to make sure Dujek’s companions were following.

The lizard darted through one hall and then another, and then finally, Aerex could spy a strong light, coming from an open double door, the smell of roast fowl permeating the air. Some shouting, some talking, and apparently a heavy dose of physical activity was going on inside.

Bind them! They will not act like proper guests? Barbarians! Bind them!” Kadarin could now hear. The voice sounded peculiarly like his uncle’s voice, surely it wasn’t him of course, but the tone of the mellifluous speaker sent a shiver down Kadarin’s spine nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:47:54 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: January 24, 2007, 10:43:40 PM »
Moruz, Henge, Aethelstan, Fyrfyrion, Tirron, Grilgrull, and....Jjuldae!?

Orcus’ pus-filled, hoof!” Fyrfyrion thought, as the quasit beat a hasty retreat back out the chapel door. He had picked the wrong ones to “play with”!

So, the quasit thought as it flew, the dead have risen. It was only a matter of time, Fyrfirion giggled, with all this carnage. Poor Alzamus was in a pickling jar now, the quasit laughed once more.

Now to find others to play with.

-  -    - -

Unbeknownst to Fyrfyrion, another flying creature spotted him as the quasit flew from the monastery. Spotted, for this flying creature's senses allowed it to see what its old form could not. Gently riding the night currents, a single, lonely osprey began its descent toward the monastery once more, eyeing the horrid, little demon, as a hawk eyes a rabbit from above. Jjuldae's senses were returning to him. He could not remember much of anything, but the Quauszzsat, or the Quasit, as men called it, was a blasphemous stain on Nature. The people of the Stone Soul could never suffer demons.

- -     - -

Aethelstan had swung the mighty monastery blade with the practiced ease of warrior, slicing the air with an audible whistle. Whatever he had aimed for, he missed, Moruz thought as he looked on a bit perplexed, but Henge could see the Returned One’s purpose. The druid had heard a gurgle…a slight, vulgar sound, when Aethesltan cleaved the air, and knew that a hidden foe was present.

Henge had little time to react himself however, as a new, presence made itself known. A huge presence…one easily seen this time!

Standing on the other side of the now open doorway, a massive giant of stone was staring at Aethelstan dumbly, while hauling an enraged monk beneath its might arm.

Moruz eye socket filled twitched with dull pain, as the desert warrior’s good eye focused on the monster in the doorway.

Henge readied spells, or hummed, it was difficult to tell. Aethelstan grimly faced the giant, sword raised once more. Only the druid’s summoned vine separated the monk-lugging giant from the three companions.

Without warning and with such force, as was difficult to imagine, Grilgrull suddenly raised the screaming, struggling monk over his head, and with both arms flung the cursing holy man like a missile of bone and flesh at the erstwhile priest of St. Senren.

Living flesh and bones smashed into dead and decaying flesh and bone, and Aethelstan collapsed to the floor, the entire weight of the hurtling monk knocking him off his feet immediately. A mighty impact indeed!

AAARRWWWWWwwwoooorrrooo!” the giant screamed at the top of his lungs

<OOC> the stone giant won initiative and threw Tirron at Aethelstan for TEN points of damage. Tirron passes out, near death from the crash. Your turns! </OOC>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:42:47 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #371 on: January 24, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »
Alzamus, Donovan, Vorodon, Dujek, and...cronies of Alzamus

Slowly, Vorodon came to. What a strange time for a nap he thought, but then tensed, his muscles bulging as the half-ogre felt bindings digging into his flesh and holding his mighty girth in place. Silken ropes were tightly woven around his ample form. He was sitting on some sort of thick oaken throne-like chair, and from his feet to his neck was wrapped like a mummy, in weightless, but incredibly resilient rigging. He opened his mouth to speak, then momentarily thought better of it, as he surveyed the scene.

A young, grinning man was standing a mere ten feet away from the sitting half-ogre, holding a fearsome steel crossbow, bolt notched, pointing the weapon at Voro’s forehead.

He could also see a beautiful, languid young lass, a thick-boned, foul smelling matronly woman, and another man, this one obviously the Master…the one in charge, even Voro could tell quite easily. The man rose from the dining table and strode effortlessly toward the half-ogre, his feet making no sound, his cloak glistening in the dancing candlelight.

Alzamus stopped directly in front of the half-ogre, and smiled, like a reptile sensing the suns’ warming rays.

The big-boned woman meanwhile made her way to another chair, where the now awake but groggy Dujek(!) was also immobile and bound. In addition, the necromancer had some kind of hard, black, rubber-like ball stuffed in his mouth, preventing him from speaking, casting a horrible countenance, and most of all, thought Vorodon glumly, causing the mage’s already dislocated jaw, severe pain and discomfort.

Mazoma was now poised near Dujek as Alzamus was near Vorodon. The unpleasant matron was holding a thick, foot long candle, dangerously close to the necromancer’s face, the wax dripping down on the mage’s pale green robe.

Another figure could now be seen by Vorodon, a man holding a bizarre looking musical instrument in his hands. The musician had no taste for torture, Vorodon surmised, as he was still sitting at the great table, a look of peculiar disgust and anger clouding his fine features. Yet he did nothing, the half-ogre noted.

<OOC>I rolled a requested 'strength' check. Sorry, noble Vorodon, it failed. You're in a pickle now</OOC>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:06:48 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: January 25, 2007, 02:28:03 AM »
Vee sighed softly as the wire came away from it's trap. No need in looking like an amatuer on his first raid. Despite all the bungling from breaking into Skreep's in Ganse, he was now grateful for it. He was calm, not jittery with virgin excitement. He checked the door to make sure the wizard had no other lurking traps. He gathered a small handful of dust from the corner where the wire trap had been, and gently blew it towards the door. One of his professors had espoused such a technique in detecting magical traps on doors such as glyphs.

(OOC - one last check for traps check, and then, in we go, assuming the door is unlocked, or if it is locked, that I can pick the lock. Once in, check for lewtz)

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: January 25, 2007, 03:00:05 AM »
The wizard pulled his fingers through his hair making sure he looked alright. If there was anything that perplexed him, it was looking anything but his absolutely best.

“Sing Donovan. Sing something grand! Sing of my glory and our future here in the keep!”

Then he turned to the half-ogre, the mage’s smile seeming genuine and honest. With a fluid motion he stretched his hands to either side, baring his palms, a gesture of confusion and innocence. “So, why do you run when I have cooked all night in preparation of your coming!” it was more an accusation than any actual question.

The half-ogre started to reply, but Alzamus wasn’t really interested in what anyone else had to say at the moment.

“No!” he stated. “No! This won’t do! This won’t do! I can’t have any of this… Insolence!” with a hard look he slapped the half-ogre across the cheek. Hair fell into Alzamus’ eyes as he did so and indignantly the wizard removed it with a brush of his hand and a jerk of his head. Then he began his chanting, his voice baritone, his eyes psychotically fixed upon the half ogre. When he finished he smiled.

“Ah, yes! Much better! I think this will do!”

Stepping away for good measure (and because things didn’t always work out as planned), Alzamus ordered Mazoma to release the burly warrior.

(OOC: Spell description sent to Muro. (I do not reveal it because I figure that is what the non-weapon proficiency “spellcraft” is all about, and Muro’s gonna reveal if appropriate ;) ))
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: January 25, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »
<I>Could it possibly be my uncle? Kadarin thought quickly, I never knew him to be a mage - it seemed he kept that little secret from me well.

Hearing the rest of Alzamus's comments.

<I>It IS my uncle - and it sounds like he has gone mad!

Kadarin's uncle was many things - buisnessman, ruffian and sometimes scholar, and now a wizard.  Kadarin had known him always as perhaps cruel, but one bounded by reality.  The words he just spoke sounded both like and unlike his uncle. Possession?

Then there was the spell.

<ooc - Magecraft(spellcraft I guess) check, though I'm pretty sure I know...>

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:18:00 AM by valadaar »

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®