llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Storyline development : Evil in a campaign  (Read 1046 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline the Wanderer

• Adept
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 NPC Guild
    • Awards
Storyline development : Evil in a campaign
« on: November 02, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
I have been a GM for too many years to remember. In my earlier years as a GM I had such great ideas and high hopes for my campaigns. Over time I realized my players became wise to my many tricks and puzzles, forcing me to become more creative and devious. I have, in the course of designing campaigns, found new and troubling questions for both myself and my players.

I have reversed or twisted stereotypes in the past (monsters, classes, appearance, etc.) to greater than expected results. My players find it hard to tell friend from foe at first glance…

So the questions here are simple to answer, at least at first glance.

“How do you define evil? “
 “How do you know an enemy? “
 “What predisposes one to good or evil?”
 “Is it genetic or environmental?”
 “Can a choice be made by the individual (monster / NPC)?”

This is purely for development of storylines, so feel free to offer any thoughts you have.
Any opinions would be useful on this, as we need all the input we can get.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
~Henry L Mencken

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: Storyline development : Evil in a campaign
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »
Oh no... not this debate again. :)

Try a little of the following:
Time for some Evil now!

Maybe it will help with your confusion somewhat. Or, well, help your confusion.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:40:36 PM »
We will be moving this to the sage area after a while.

Inately, all Evil stems from some aspect of selfishness

The person opposing you. antagonist, protagonist. There are no good guys, there are no bad guys, there are just guys.  It is all about your own motivation and what obsticles are in your way.  I mean nobody thinks, "I am the bad guy." They are the heroes of their own story.

See above.

In most cases, environmental. Of course, if one is a creature of a specific polarity (such as a demon or other manifestation of archetype), then it is "genetic".

In most cases.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »
Moon went at it from the GM's worldmaking view.  Now I'll got at it from the paranoid player's view.   :wink:

"How do you define evil?"
Anything and everything my GM makes can be evil, if He wants it too.  The great, holy paladin is really a demon in disguise, or maybe a doppleganger, or maybe he's the real thing.  But He made him, thus he's not to be trusted.

"How do you know an enemy?"

When the aforementioned paladin stabs me in the back, with his excessively dull and chipped greatsword, boy he needs a page to sharpen that for him.

"What predisposes one to good or evil"

He who makes all, and by whose will I still eck an existance decides who shall be good and evil."

"Is it genetic or envirnomental"

The environment sure promotes His evilness, but one cannot know if some vile deed was done to Him in the past to make His this way, or if He was born killing innocents.

"Can a choice be made by the individual?"

No, the individual has only one choice, to obey Him or to die.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 10:13:16 PM »
Evil is someone or something that harbors anger, selfishness and too much ego.

You can't really, until that said enemy presents an obstacle for you or others to overcome.

Anything can. It depends on how that person takes it. If someone told them to have a good day, and they were already having a bad day, they would take that for sarcasm and their day would become worse. It all depends on the persons state of mine.

I don't believe anything is genetic {except for some genetic diseases}. I believe everything is environmental. If your parents hate a certain brand of underwear, for their own reason, you'll grow up disliking the same brand - or harboring something against them. Your environment causes you to be the way you are. Of course, you can always break out of your environmental patterns, but that's another paragraph ^__^

To be good or evil? Yes, I believe that some people, early on, can let themselves succumb to evil or good. Depending on what feels right for them. Also, they could just beat down their conscience enough to become evil. It all depends, but they made that choice.

www †  artcraft