DragonFire
2 (13.3%)
Dragon Ryders
1 (6.7%)
Ryders of Kerren
7 (46.7%)
Ryders of the Storm
2 (13.3%)
Other.. please choose something else....
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 18, 2003, 04:10:38 AM

Author Topic: Kerren Poll II  (Read 5430 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« on: April 18, 2003, 04:10:38 AM »
World of Wings is what I have been calling this project. I think this name sucks, but I could be wrong. I was thinking about changing the name to Dragon Wings, Ryders of Kerren, DragonFire, or Dragon Ryders. Anyone have a preference for the above or their own idea?

In addition, what would you need to GM this game world? I have a great deal of material that I have not yet posted, most of it being in the Encylopedia Kerren Category.  I have done the base work for characters, Dragons, Zhan, the animals of Kerren, and the campaign material.    What would you need to run this game world?  Let me know so I can post it up for you and make sure that it is included in the final file.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 05:10:18 AM »
World of Wings- Current
Yeah, it is a workable 'beta' title but more applicable to a History Channel special I think.

Dragon Wings
Too generic, and frankly, a little silly.

DragonFire
Wasn't there a video game? Might be alright once you learn the game and the importance of the dragon fire, but browsing and looking....DragonFire doesn't hit it for me. We can be more creative I think :wink:

Dragon Ryders
uuuuhhhhh. Just no. No reason, just no.

Ryders of Kerren
Puts the name of the world in it, which I like, and the unique spelling of 'ryders' may draw some interest from the onset.

Ryders of the Storm
Morrison. Been done. :)

No creative energy at the moment. Too much work to do. :cry:

Storm Ryders
Dragon Storm Ryders
Dragon Ryders of Kerren
Immune Skeeters of Kerren

I was thinking, you may could come up with a better phrase/description then warp. Call it shifting, land shift, Kerren Popping, Kerren Shifting, Dragon meld, Dragon shift, (in a creative rut obviously) or something more world unique. Perhaps they called it warping when they first got there but Warp is another generic term and I think it would be more cool instead of saying, "I try and warp." or "they just warped into us" that a more in character phrase to describe it would add to the roleplaying atmosphere. First thing I think of when I say warp is Star Trek or other hardcore Sci Fi but if you have a specific term you can say it is like warping but call it something else to stay in game better. Just another random thought.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 07:11:08 AM »
((Just brainstorming, don't be critical  :cry: ))

Kerren Lost
Fire Ryders
Ryders of Fire
Dragon Warp
Warp Dragons of Kerren
Fire Storm
Stormfire
Kerren Clusters

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 05:10:29 PM »
Ooo... I like that Stormfire name.  Maybe it doesn't fit Kerren, but it'll fit something.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Ryders of Kerren
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 04:41:55 AM »
This seems to be the leader.  Not a very evocative name, but people seem to like it.  The question I am asking is why?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 05:54:24 AM »
Beats the tar out of World of Wings..... W.O.W.  That has too much cheese all around.

Riders of Pern...familiar off the tongue and has some visual already associated, but has the 'y' twist and is still unique.

What are your own comments about the titles you suggested? We can feel your mood better and maybe brainstorm in a more directed fashion. What parts of the world do you want to invoke in the title? Maybe we can help come up with something going in that vein.

Level 3

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
My comments
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 04:29:36 AM »
World of Wings: Okay, I was brain dead when I started working on this game file.      

Dragon Wings: That's nice, but don't all dragons have wings?  What makes the wings so darn special to name the game after it.  Was suggested by another playtester a while back.      

DragonFire: while an important part of the game,  DragonFire makes an interesting title.     However, there is another game with that title, so it is a NO-GO at this point.  

Dragon Ryders:  This one has potential. It explains the interesting part of the game. It does not sound like Pern. It is very straight foreward, so if you are not thrilled by the concept of dragon riders you might not even give it a chance.   It is not very catchy.  

Ryders of Kerren: It sounds good, but it sound too much like Dragon Riders of Pern.  While there are some similarities between this world and that, I need to make sure that people just don't say, "Oh its a Pern Rip off" and put it away. Also nobody knows what Kerren is, or will care. Note: I need to write back page copy that is very invocative of the Swords and Planet books (Burroughs et al books with Sci-Fi plus sword/sorcery type fantasy added). This will direct the attention of the readers away from Pern RipOff to another kind of science fantasy.  

Ryders of the Storm: It is very catchy. It does evoke the important parts of the game world.  It is mysterious enough that people should pick it up just to see what it is exactly.  Perhaps a bit to catchy because of the Song association.  

Storm Ryders :  Catchy, evocoative.  A good solid choice.

Dragon Storm:

Dragon Storm Ryders: Sounds too much like a bad anime to English translations. I would expect tranforming creatures and people in identicle costumes.  Plus it is not a dragon storm.

Dragon Ryders of Kerren: Very Long, but nice.  Nobody knows what Kerren is so why should we care if they are from there.  

Immune Skeeters of Kerren: Yah... well won't sell well out side of Minnosota.  

Kerren Lost: But they aren't lost. They know right where they are. They just don't care.  

Fire Ryders: So they are riding fire now?  

Ryders of Fire: So they are riding fire more interesting now?  

Dragon Warp: Interesting, coveres important things, not that interesting.  

Warp Dragons of Kerren: so there are non warp dragons on Kerren?

Fire Storm: Better name for another project.  

Stormfire: Very cool. We need to create a project around this name

Kerren Clusters: Sounds like a candy/ cookie/ confection

So names with
* Dragons: important part of the world, but something everyone has an opinion on.
* Ryders: Important part of the world and catchy to the eye and ear.
* Kerren: Nobody knows what Kerren is.  I am not married to this planet name.
* Storms: Important part of the world.  Generic enough to be interesting.
* Zhan: Nobody knows that they are or how menacing they are.  
* Colonists: Adds a sci fi feel to it.

Maybe a name with a subtitle.  

The name needs to sound cool. It needs to suggest, without explaining everything.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 04:44:38 PM »
"Ryders of the storm, duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh, Ryders of the storm"

How about "Colonist Storm"! :lol:
Or, more seriously, I was thinking "Dragon Flash" or "Stormflash" or something like that. It sounds dynamic, even if flashing doesn't have anything to do with the scenario.

Or does it! Since you addressed the problem of the name "warp", why not call it flashing instead of warping?  :idea:
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 12:01:21 AM »
Dragon Flash evokes the image of a dragon in a trenchcoat exposing itself.

Warp space is a synonym for Hyperspace, Subspace, null space, et all. Those lovely science fiction shortcuts for FTL. So Warp, to Warp, Warping is a natural extension.

I need a better name...  I guess a new poll is in order
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
Kerren Poll II
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 02:59:46 PM »
I personally enjoy the name "Ryders of Kerran," and on a context level I feel that it also works with the story.

:D That's my two cents!

www †  artcraft