llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: If this dosen't freak you out....  (Read 1308 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
If this dosen't freak you out....
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:57:31 AM »
ok, so there's the possibility that i've posted this link before but just in case (because i do have it saved as a button on firefox)
here is the wierdest thing i have ever seen on the internet.
Genpets.com

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: If this dosen't freak you out....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »
This seems so wrong, and the way it is presented it has to be some sort of joke...

:what:

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »
http://www.genpets.com/faq.php

Are Genpets Real animals? How?
Genpets are living, breathing mammals. Bio-Genica is a Bioengineering Company that has combined, and modified existing DNA to create the Genpets lineup. Genpets have blood, bones, and muscle; they will bleed if you cut them, and die if mistreated just like any other animal. The electronic components are only in the packages and are for basic life support, outside of the packages the Genpets are wholly organic.

Genpets are packaged like toys though.
Genpets are designed to be sold on retail store shelves, not traditional pet stores. This is why they are packaged in plastic.

How?
The original prototype and breeding Genpets were created using a process called "Zygote Micro Injection" Thereafter the Genpets are grown in assisted breeding lab farms. Zygote Micro Injection is quickly becoming a favourable method to combine DNA, or to insert certain proteins from different species. Most notably it was used in 1997 to splice mice with bioluminescent jellyfish (link) and has since been used to create glowing rabbits, pigs, fish, and monkeys (link). Since then, human DNA has been injected into chimpanzees, spider into sheep, and now, Genpets have arrived.

Is bioengineering this far advanced?
In 2003 Human DNA was successfully combined with rabbit (and other animals), to create successful Chimera Hybrids. Read National Geographic for more information (link). While Bio-Gencia is still awaiting approval for worldwide distributionof the Genpets, Allerca already sells genetically altered cats.

How do Genpets stay alive in the packages?
While the Genpets™ hang on retail shelves they are in a chemically induced type of hibernation controlled by a protein in the packages’ nutrient supply tubes. This was a natural trait found in many seasonal animals that would normally hibernate in colder northern climates that has been added to the Genpet line. This also ensures comfort for the Genpets™ while they are on store shelves.

Do Genpets feel pain?
Yes. However the Genpets have limited vocal chords so they will not create a large amount of noise when disturbed.

What if I go on vacation?
The same protein that keeps the Genpet dormant on store shelves can be supplied at anytime during the life span of the Genpet making care for the pet incredibly simple.

Do Genpets show emotions?
Yes. This is part of why we have colour coded the Genpets. They come in seven different personality types. Each personality type shows slightly different emotions.

Do Genpets Talk?
Genpets have limited vocal chords for the convenience of parents. However, they do make some sound.

--That is some funny stuff!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 10:51:46 PM by Strolen »

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 10:59:51 PM »
But, it's well put together funny stuff.  I needed a science project for school, and I think I got one now.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 06:27:48 PM »
i just can't believe that somebody was so bored that they could create this site.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:31:36 AM »
I think the point of it was to shock and scare people into action about bio-engineering.  After all, nothing they have said on the site is beyond current technical possiblities. However, it like self flying hovercars, have yet to be assembled into an economically appropriate package.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 12:36:17 AM »
I finally got mine in the mail, UPS.

They make a gargling-like noise when you poke them with a stick, but they are right, they don't make much noise. They can't really move yet. Sort of elasticy. I think I got the scared one instead of the surprised one but I am still trying to figure out their emotions.

Sort of fun when I remember to play with it. The dogs really like it too.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 07:00:16 PM »
I hear they taste a tad like turkey.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station