llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Roleplaying, and the nature of the human conscious  (Read 804 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Roleplaying, and the nature of the human conscious
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:17:02 PM »
I know, I know. You're reading that title and going, "Why in the name of Trigu did I click on this thread?" I can give you an answer. You read my name and went, "Holy moley, that guy hasn't been here in a long while, so anything he posts must be really profound!" Well, not really. Honestly, this thread is my way of resolving something that has been stewing around in my heart and mind for a while.

As those of you who have talked with me are well aware, I am an avid roleplayer. I love it, and I love writing. However, chances are you also know that I'm a very very VERY dedicated Christian. Point in fact, the two had a conflict of interest a little while back, and my faith one out over one of the best roleplays I had ever been engaged in, Ancient Gamer's Coldforged: The Shadows of War. I won't gloss it over: I loved the game. It was a blast, and the most fun I'd had in ages. But it finally got to me that the character I was playing was at odds with what I personally believe. And so, with AG's permission, I quit the game. A few arguments came about later, and I let Strolen's lay fallow for quite a while.

However, upon checking the roleplaying forums just a little while ago, I discovered a thread where a D&D game was starting up. Now, I know the first thing that popped into your mind: the old Dark Dungeon comic that was spread about for the longest time, and I'm fairly sure that it's still in distribution. I also know that the next thing to hit your brain was the thought that Christians don't roleplay, since it's against our religion or something similar. However, I also encountered an article that I think would benifit anyone of religious persuasion. In it, the author talks about how D&D doesn't conflict with his beliefs, and how in fact he uses D&D as a tool to witness to others.

Now, I don't intend to do the same, but I feel that it's worth my while to say that roleplaying can co-exist with faith, without guilt. That said, I believe I still owe AG an apology: I'm sorry. I honestly don't have anything against your setting itself, despite what I might have said, my only conflict is with the character that I was playing. I humbly ask your pardon for how I acted at the time.

As for the rest of the Citadel, I'm sorry you had to go without any sort of input from myself for as long as you did. It's my hope that I can restart my setting and submissions.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: Roleplaying, and the nature of the human conscious
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 11:51:48 PM »
Don't worry about it.  Christian Gamers are more common than you realize.  I've gotten many favorable reactions from people at Cons when I wore my Promise Keepers T-shirt (I find it particularly amusing because when I'm GMing, some players see the large letters "PK" and get nervous).
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai