Poll

Is this a good idea?

Yes, it is.
2 (100%)
No, it's not.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: April 10, 2003, 08:31:17 PM

Author Topic: Deadspace Campaign: Good or Bad Idea?  (Read 12946 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Deadspace Campaign: Good or Bad Idea?
« on: April 10, 2003, 08:31:17 PM »
Science Fiction and Fantasy have always toyed with the idea of the Creators, some omnipotent race or precursors that created, came before, influenced humans or other races in ancient times. It's a great idea, but it's getting worn out. But what if humans were the Creators/Precursors?

Pretty spiffy, aye?

"10,000 years after the Human Wars, Mankind's genetically engineered children-races have become dominant in the Milky Way Galaxy, long after the extinction of the Great Creators. Yet the memory of the "Masters" still lingers......"

I call it Deadspace

The Main Races:

Dogheads: Genetically engineered as the perfect soldiers and slave workers by the Masters. Originally normal Humans genospliced with Canine and Gorilla DNA, the Dogheads are stronger, faster, and larger than a Human, though lower in sapience. Unlike other genetically altereds, such as Birdheads, the Dogheads were made fertile so that the Masters did not have to invest huge amounts of their military budgets in order to genosplice Dogheads for their armies. Thus, Dogheads make up an overwhelming proportion of the Galaxy's inhabitants. Most of the Galaxy's Realms are ruled by Dogheads, though a Doghead ruler's Birdhead advisors are usually quite a bit smarter than the actual ruler. Dogheads average about 7 feet tall and 400 pounds, usually in muscle. They have canine heads, sometimes wolf-like, and their heavily muscular bodies are covered in fur.

Birdheads: Genospliced with avian DNA, the Birdheads were made as scientists, spies, assassins, and house-slaves. Because of the hollow bones of their avian heritage, the Birdheads are no good for physical combat and are inept at handling any firearm. However, the Masters decided that there needed to be a complement to the Doghead's brute force and dull intellect and thus engineered the Birdheads with a high sapience and quick mind. Nearly all Birdheads have a photographic memory. As there was no need for a huge population of Birdheads, so they were genospliced sterile. Though the near-Human level technology of most Realms of the Galaxy has defeated this, their numbers suffer because of low birth rate and high infant death rate. Birdheads are usually the scientists of most Realms and many Realms have a Birdhead as the true power behind the throne. Birdheads average about 5 feet tall and around 85 pounds (They are light because of their avian bone-structure). They have feathery bodies with the remnants of wing pinions on their arms and bird-like heads.

Chaukats: These are perhaps the strangest of the Masters creations, made as companions, sex-slaves, and near-equals to the Humans. These Feline centaurs were even granted their own planet, Chaukona, and thus, they were the only ones who did not fall into barbarics after the extinction of Mankind. The Chaukats are very sexually open due to the way in which the Humans wired their brains. They are also hermaphroditic. Chaukats have had a very large influence on the re-developement of the Dogheads and Birdheads. They tend to be about 5 feet tall, with lion-like, lower bodies and human-like torsoes with feline heads. Their bodies are covered in fur. Taboos about clothing, sex, and nudity seem to be absent from Chaukat (Chaukonan) culture.

In addition to these races, many extraterrestrial races (not created by Humans) exist, including Pershala (Feline people obsessed with speed), Grakoi (Giant cockroaches), and Zsanto'iru (Amoebic creatures).

Realm: Refers to territories comprising many solar systems
World: Usually is used in reference to entire solar systems rather than planets

Even though this is technically a fantasy site, you guys are the only RPing people I can share this idea with, because my friends won't listen. But anyway, do you think it's cool?[/b]
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 08:37:58 PM »
By the way, is the name Deadspace already taken?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 09:18:19 PM »
Other terms:

Clones: Clones. What is their to explain?
Realforms: Beings made with cloned organs that are genetically unique from the being that contained the "parent" organs
Cyborgs: Those that were originally biological, but are now cybernetically augmented
Androids: Artificial cybernetic beings that look like biological people
Robots: Artificial cybernetic beings that do not look biological
Gate Drive: An ancient Human technology that has been recovered. Allows ships to "gate" through a semi-real space, effectively "skipping" a portion of space. Makes up for limitations of faster-than-light and below-lightspeed travel through space.
Relic: An ancient Human device, ship, structure, or remnant. Most Relics are abandoned and drift in space or become part of the environment in which they exist. These are highly valued, as they are powerful tools.
Kaiser Gate: These are incredibly powerful Relics, much like extremely powerful Gate Drives, that allow a ship to "gate" across monumentous distances. Only four are known to exist, and one has not been used, as it appears to "gate" into another galaxy. The Kaiser Gates appears to be autonomous from any other Relic, and their power source is unknown, though it has been theorized that they somehow tap into Liquid Space.
Scar Weapons: Also known as "Pollution Cannons", this is a form of Relic from the Human Wars that unleash a blast of pure radioactive pollution that almost permanently destroys a planet's ecosystem. It may take an ecosystem millenia to recover from the damage a Scar Weapon can cause.
Liquid Space: An extradimensional space-time that is quite unknown to most races. The Pershala, obsessed with speed, use insanely dangerous Liquid Space Jumps to achieve mobility even greater than that of a Gate Jump. Recently, scientists have discovered that the what ancient Humans, and, more recently, ancient Dogheads and Birdheads, called "magic" was a primitive process of tapping into Liquid Space and withdrawing Liquid Spacial Material, which can be manipulated into almost any sort of matter that exists in our universe.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 09:25:15 PM »
Odysseus Engine (Odysseus): The most powerful computer in the galaxy. Capable of performing almost one-million google (Google is a real number!) calculations per half-second. It is rarely used, as the planet on which it is housed, Odyssey Magna, must devote it's entire power output for two months to run the Odysseus Engine.
Terra Magna Imperator: The name given Earth by the Masters. It's location is still unknown, as the region of the galaxy in which it is believed to exist was the zone of fiercest fighting during the Human Wars and thus, that particular region of time-space is very unstable and dangerous.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 10:17:50 PM »
Correction: There are six Kaiser Gates, labeled Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, Kappa, and Omega. Kaiser Gates Kappa and Omega are unusable. Omega appears to lead to another, unknown Galaxy outside the Milky Way, and Kappa has been damaged irreversibly, as the method of their construction and systems are unknown. Kappa Gate was damage during the Battle of Oderthera, in which the Chaukonan Federation waged fierce interstellar combat with the hostile Varconian Empire. Ironically, the Kappa Gate was the very reason the Chaukonan Federation and Varconian Empire were fighting in the first place.

The current time in this campaign is the year After Human 16,445, which is approximately 21,650 AD.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 10:27:12 PM »
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INPUT!!!!
PLEASE!
SOMEBODY! ANYBODY! NEWBIES! ANONYMOUSES! STROLEN! ANYONE!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 10:37:12 PM »
This is d**n cool.  I likes.  Maybe there can be other (unknown) races, which were either forgotten human experiments, experiments by other races, or the result of cross-breeding.  Maybe somewhere, perhaps behind Kaiser Gate Omega, there could even be a lost colony of humans, who have been isolated so long that they've forgotten their heritage.  Maybe it's been long enough that no one else is sure what the Creators really looked like, and if the humans have been isolated long enough, perhaps they could have regressed technologically.   A "backward" race is more likely to be accepted than known descendants [sp?] of the Creators.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 10:38:31 PM »
Some Interstellar Nations in Deadspace

The Grand Doghead Realm of Megatrang (GDR Megatrang)
The Realm of Hokex Imau
The Chaukonan Federation
The Daambraathan Federation (Extraterrestrial)
The Varconian Empire (Extraterrestrial)
The United Pershalan Bodies (Extraterrestrial)
The Grakoi Nation (Extraterrestrial)
The Zsanto'iru Great Collective (Extraterrestrial)
The Great Kingdom of Xq'cz'ungk'Vee'tSee'yh'ovw'Wxz (Extraterrestrial, unpronouncable to humanoids)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 10:47:42 PM »
The Myth(?) of the Lizardheads: Perhaps, in some blood-spattered lab somewhere during the Human age, some scientist decided to try what had been deemed impossible: Genosplicing mammal and reptile DNA. So were born the Lizardheads, or so goes the legend. Interstellar governments officially deny any knowledge of any sort of reptile genospliced creatures. Children are told tales of the vicious Lizardhead warriors to scare them. To most, Lizardheads are given as much a sense of reality as a faerie on present day Earth. But every year, more sightings occur of bizzare scaled beings, dark spiked shadows in the night, beings that crawl up walls like Chaukonan Glow-geckos. But of course, they couldn't be true, could they? Of course not, say the rulers and the scientists and the politicians. But can we be so sure?

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 10:50:23 PM »
Ria Hawk sent me this Private Message: I just had a nifty thought concerning your world. Do you remember my "Web Worlds" post? What if Kaiser Gate Omega is a way into the Web? If someone goes through the gate, and finds an alternate world with technologically advanced humans (the World of Science)? Everyone would have some 'splaining to do, and it might be difficult to avert a war. Especially if it turns out that Omega hooks onto a time-travel Web strand, and someone gets shunted into the past of Deadspace, at about the time that first Dogheads and relations are being unveiled...
I know that was rambling, but I thought it was interesting. Wahaha. <evil GM grin>

If you folks decide to use my world, give that some thought! It's a Good Idea in the Cap'n's Book!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 10:53:44 PM »
Goody goody!

I'm having great fun using all those ideas! I was getting tired of writing them down in a steno pad.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Note about Scar Weapons...
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 11:05:57 PM »
Relating to getting rid of garbage

The Scar Weapons can, if properly controlled, be used as a form of garbage disposal for a planet. The garbage can be loaded into the Pollution Cannon and fired into an empty region of space or a dead planet. Of course, if the Weapon is not properly controlled, there could be quite a tragedy.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 01:32:21 AM »
Looks like you are doing outstanding on your own. I am just waiting for the next post like all the others.

The Great Kingdom of Xq'cz'ungk'Vee'tSee'yh'ovw'Wxz

Did you just pound your keyboard to get that one  :wink:

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 10:07:21 AM »
What exactly do these Kaiser Gates look like? I'm thinking about putting a dead one around my world to confuse a visiting party(Campaign cross-over that myself and a fellow DM are arranging), I think it might fit in nicely with the dounut-shped world with the hugh sky blue crystal suspended in the middle. But that my world.
BTW, I know of an OLD race that sounds similar to the Chaukats. They're called Wemics and they're an old AD&D monster(though I've heard rumors that they're in the 2nd monster manual)The only thing I not sure about are the heads. Not that is matters, it's just an FYI.
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 03:10:21 PM »
None of the Kaiser Gates look exactly the same. For instance, Kaiser Gate Gamma looks like a giant pair of golden gates edged with an obisdian-like substance. So, it doesn't really matter what you make them look like, just that they have to be large enough for a huge space battleship to enter.
(They were used to gate Leviathan-class Battlecruisers during the Human Wars. A Leviathan is as large as 10 present day Aircraft carriers.)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Xq'cz'ungk'Vee'tSee'yh'ovw'Wxz
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2003, 03:12:47 PM »
Actually, I was trying to make a title that would be incredibly difficult or impossible to pronounce....Yep. That's what I did. Hehheh.  :wink:

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2003, 03:13:46 PM »
By the way, I think the letter combination "xq" is unpronouncable, but I'm not sure.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2003, 03:50:51 PM »
"Zku."
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 03:52:36 PM »
In reference to setting crossovers, I was thinking that a Kerren-Deadspace crossover could be possible. Of course, that would mean that Kerren's StarMen would actually be the creations of the former StarMen, and it might be quite an upheaval, but who knows?

"Humans?! But that's impossible!" Admiral Risvar said, staring incredulously across the desk at Lieutenant Erawg.
"Sir, the Officer Thoma and the Birdheads say that the chance of error is only .2%. They say that the Humans appear to be at a pre-Gate level." Erawg replied, running his hands through his fur nervously. He had no idea what to make of this. And of course, the implications had struck neither of them fully yet.
"I'm not convinced. Get Thoma up here, and tell him to bring his crap with him. I want to see it with my own eyes. Oh, and don't go spreading this around the whole ship. The last thing we need is another near-miss identification." Admiral Risvar said, peering out the window at the clouded orb which was Kerren.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 07:54:16 PM »
back to main point of thread, its a pretty good idea!
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline Karad'as

• Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 09:10:53 PM »
I have some ideas for some other races tell me what you think about them:

Largolls: These are a race of small people that came of splicing humans with bats and other nocturnal animals. They were intended to be the slaves, and the ones that fixed the ships during wars so their bodies are small about 1 m (sorry i work with with the metric system dont know the conversions), and very light 50 kg. They have great minds for the mechanical apects, and the splicing with the nocturnal animals allows them to see in the dark. They are also very good handling tools and they were spliced to grow at an accelerated speed and extremely fertile (this makes their life spans very short so that they donot cause over population, and the fertility makes it easy to create a new army of repairers each time you need one).

Glrandrog:These were designed to be the special operations warriors. The come out of a mixture of human DNA with camaleons and felines. They are extremely fast and agile and the camaleons DNA enables them to blend into the enviroment they are in. They were not meant to reproduce outside labs so they are not fertile. They are 1 80 m tall in average and 90kg. They were spliced with a poisoned thorn that comes out of their hands for silent killing and they heal at an accelerated pace so that injuries are not so serious in them.
There are only two unlimited things:
The universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not so sure about the universe.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2003, 09:44:30 PM »
Hmmm....

Well, I can see the Batheads (Largolls), but only in extremely isolated communities that are little known.

With the Glandrog, they would be classified under Lizardheads. Lizardheads may, or may not, be myths. So, that ones up to the GM.

Oh, and the reason the thread has been split is that I made a mistake and I am trying to correct it presently.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2003, 11:06:08 PM »
An idea concerning Pershalans, inspired by an idea I'm playing with in the Deadspace game.  Pershalans are completely unrelated to humans, therefore it is reasonable to assume that they would have differing metabolisms.  What if alcohol (a substance that Birdheads, Dogheads, and Chaukats probably react to in the same way as humans would) was a stimulant to a Pershalan, not a depressant?  And maybe didn't impair judement or reflexes?  Once the Pershalans figured that out, they would probably start importing massive amounts of liquor, or figure out how to make it themselves.  It's an interesting idea.  Could also give rise to common sense things like, "Don't pick a fight with a surly Doghead, don't ask a Chaukat on a date unless you're d**n sure about what you're getting into, and don't challange a Pershalan to a race or a drinking contest."
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2003, 11:09:05 PM »
There ya' go!

It's a great idea!

Offline Dimensification

• Journeyman
    • http://www.dvvideo.net/paradox/
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 02:42:55 PM »
Interest, Fear. These two words run the world.

That must be known in order to create anything. Let us say that you could have just a normal person, but they could obviously have android updates. An advanced form of Mega Man, in a way. As though, you could double their strength, or speed, yet that would take more since the legs are larger and would require more...Also, maybe, capacities of the brain could be expanded. Useless knowledge could be wiped clean, new brain cells integrated and ready for the knowledge that counts. And, also, fear. You must make someone want to be good, and make it so that there are dark alleys that no one would step foot into because of some of the genetic creations that exist. Adaptations, interests, new ideas...You could have every idea be old, but when people exist in it, they are opened up to new worlds every so often...Like, maybe...Nevermind, I'm rambling.

(I didn't read the forum, so if these exact ideas are already posted, forgive me.)
"I hear the trumpet calling..." [/u][/color]