llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Back in the Day (Chapter I)  (Read 68676 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Re: Back in the Day (Chapter I)
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »
Talia did not sit down.  If she did, she'd have a hard time getting up again.  "I suppose some people want to loot the camp; I doubt they'll find much resistance.  But we need to rest, somewhere dry, if we can help it.  We've already lost one; I do not wish to lose another."  She glanced over at Aethelstan's body.  She hadn't known him well, but he had fought and died on something she had started.  That was enough.  She'd honor him later in her own way; this was not the time and it wasn't the place.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2006, 09:15:46 PM »
While the others tended to the wounded and the slain, Vee made his way back to the camp, Jervoe's head slung under his arm. A swath of cloth was wrapped around his masticated hand, and would be looked at later. It could wait, though no one knew if ghouls contaminated with their bites. That would nag at him for a while. He moved deftly through the ruin of the camp. The place was in shambles, all of the tents were down, some burned to ash from falling hot coals. There were bodies everywhere, all of them dead, and most of them not moving. There were a few ghouls still moving, missing legs and such. They seemed to have taken the bandits by surprise, most of them were probably drunk, hung-over, or just asleep.

He could imagine the cold terror, the sudden rushing of the ghouls with their cold hands and bitting teeth, ignoring even instantly sudden wounds and only collapsing after taking severe physical damage. He moved from corpse to corpse in a cold and methodical fashion. A silver piece here, a gold piece there, but it added up, and added up rather quickly. It was no great haul, but there was enough that they would no go hungry when they returned to Ganse. He lifted a few of the bandit's swords, easily a dozen blades, and bound them together with a leather thong cut from the tunic of a dead bandit. He left them in their armor, always leave something for the gypsies, they said back in Nimz, or they will curse you and yours.

One corpse stood out among the others, dressed not in tattered leather and bandit rags, but a blue cloak, now splattered with blood. Vee guessed it was Bassilinor, the goatee seemed to fit his description, and the steep widow's peaks in his hair helped. The look of agony on his face, half eaten, was another matter. Vee pulled a wand from his cold and lifeless hand. Magery was always good money, even if it was dodgy business. The corpse yielded three dark red garnets and a scroll, thankfully in a case, otherwise the blood from the renal artery would have ruined it.

An hour later he returned to where the others were, his hands slick with half congealed bandit blood, he had tried to scrub some off of the grass, but found it as befouled as his hands. The inspector and the necromancer would be pleased, Bassilinor's head dangled gorily from his bundle of swords. The head of the mage and the bandit leader would bring them good coin in town.

Someone said the vengeance was sweet, but this tasted like ash...

(OOC - 48 GP, 73 SP, multiple swords of various quality, a scroll, a wand, and 3 garnets worth 30 GP each, plus the heads of Jervoe and Bassilinor, need to check back in Aerex's book for their GP value)

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2006, 10:15:04 PM »
Upon Vee’s return, and somewhat successful haul, the companions trudged onwards, eager to escape the rain, and most of all…rest. Weary and grim, no one among the group even spoke, as they made their way from Aetheltan’s final resting place.

After fifteen minutes of sloshing about, they neared what appeared to be a field of earthen burial mounds, mud trickling off them in streams from the relentless downpour. The companions paused, unsure of what they were looking upon.

Eerie, there was no other way of describing this place, even in the rain, this site seemed disturbing. The hairs stood up on Tristan’s neck, like bristles.

On the far side of this hundred yard field of burial mounds, stood what appeared to be yet another wide-mouthed, overgrown cave. Only the sound of the rain could be heard, and not much could be seen through the watery walls all around them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 10:21:35 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2006, 10:20:17 PM »
Elsewhere

The dead end cave surprised Vorodon. It had been outfitted with the finest in stolen furniture. Thick rugs covered the beaten cave floor. Fine silk tapestries and masterful seascape paintings hung from the walls, giving the cold cave an almost regal feel. A four-poster bed took up much of a large nook to the south, and nearby stood an oak desk with a matching armoire. Alas, much of the furniture was damp and ruined, spattered and stained with gore, and deeply scarred by swordplay. Against the opposite wall from the bed, stood four massive chests. The combined hoard of Jervoe and Mingo, though only Mingo was now left of the two brothers!

The scarred, pale, red-haired man did not have his brother’s charisma, but what he lacked in people skills, he made up for with an unmatched ruthlessness, most of the men feared Mingo, whereas most ‘loved’ Jervoe.

Vorodon had accompanied the shouting Mingo and his handpicked cronies to the cave. The whole way, the wicked man was perversely grinning, happy to have been rid of his brother, at the hands of these crazed ghouls! He screamed to the impressive hulk, promises of gold and fortune, trying to recruit Vorodon to his cause.

With them were three others, two of Mingo’s chosen and an unwanted, sniveling wizard, who called himself Hamako. The “wizard”, as Vorodon learned by overhearing snippets of conversation during the earlier birthday feast, had charmed his way into Jervoe’s good graces, but was for some reason, reluctant to cast any magic, as proof of his powers, providing various excuses in lieu of arcana.

Tib the Terrible, swung twin horseman flails, in the air, impressed with the whistling sound they generated, as he stood by Mingo’s flank, while the new bandit leader, desirous of new men as he was, fiddled and ogled the four chests, while holding an oil lamp in one hand and his thick, snaggle-toothed broadsword in the other.

Bigbones, a woman who stood a head above six feet, was Mingo’s lover. A huge, fearsome woman, who’s grim countenance was backed up by a formidable bardiche, a colossal wide-bladed pole-ax, which she was now leaning on, while looking suspiciously at Vorodon. She had never seen one bigger than herself.

Vorodon noticed that she did not seem intimidated by him, in fact it almost seemed as if the moose of a woman, was casting amorous eyes in his direction!

Mingo was busy examining the chests and did not notice.

“What did I tell you ogre! Treasure! It is mine now, and some for you as well. Keep an eye on the entrance. I don’t want any more surprises this night! If anything, or anyone enters, you have my permission to slay them.”
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 11:16:53 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2006, 11:51:57 PM »
Landlubbers Inn

Slurping from his broth, and eyeing the crowd inside of the Landlubbers Inn from beneath bushy blonde brows, one peculiar man caught Glordren’s attention. A bald individual, with a sunken, fallow, vulture-like visage, perched upon a sinewy neck, which emerged eel-like, from an impressive and foreboding cloak of night-black bear fur.

Glordren made a rude belching sound, as he continued studying the man and slurping from his bowl. He looked dangerous Glordren thought, the kind of man he needed, if he could ever hope to unlock the secrets of the Akhanag-Marato Scroll-Map, and live to tell the tale.

For his part, the bear-cloaked traveler was standing perfectly still, his back to the taproom, peering out the window, into the night, unimpressed by the passing wenches, ignoring the young bravos playing at knives in the corner, while sipping what looked like chartreuse, an olive-green herbal concoction of potent strength.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2006, 12:08:42 AM »
The Cave

"There it is!" Mingo looked triumphant, momentarily sheathing his blade and reaching into one of the chests, with a thick, meaty arm. He pulled out what appeared to be a small pendant of a lead human foot, no bigger than a large thimble, with little talons in lieu of nails.

“Just drop it on any road, Jervoe had said.” The bandit leader's brother grinned in the shadowy light of his oil lamp.

“Now we just need to get these to the road.” He gestured toward the four chests. “Bigbones and Vorodon, you will need to hall these four hundred yards. How long will it take you? Tib and I will protect your flanks."

"Did anyone just hear something..strange?" It was Tib who spoke, his squinting eyes peeled at the cave entrance.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #406 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:08 AM »
Something seemed odd...it wasnt over yet. The burial mounds were creepy, but sometihng bothered Vee. Mingo could still be alive...and none of the the dead, other than the man he assumed had been Bassilinor was the other mage...Hamako. They were not among the dead he had so recently pilfered. Where else could they have gone other than the last hide-out on the Dujek-Lizard map. It was not too far away yet. Vee surveyed the hillocks of the barrows, small things compared to some of the monsters back east. Not wishing a repeat of his last cave entrance, ala Red Hatchet's gift to him. He felt the haft of the weapon, the throwing axe that had almost killed him.

Rather than boldly marching along the fain trail between the mounds, Vee skirted ahead of the others, moving in their shadows, staying out of obvious sight. If there was going to be a surprise, he was going to be the one making the surprises. He moved closer to the mouth of the last cave...straining his ears to hear if there was anyone in it.

(OOC - hide in shadows, perception checks, etc)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: October 29, 2006, 01:17:52 AM »
At Landlubber's Inn

Jjuldae of the Crimson Throat found himself intensely uncomfortable. He would have preferred to be outside, beneath the boughs of the trees and the iron sky; he enjoyed the comfort of these rainy forests, so much like the misty and rain-soaked fjords of his old home.

And yet, here, in the presence of so many of the settled folk, it was probably better to keep up appearances, even in such kaleidoscopic company- strange thieves and wanderers, shiftless vagabonds, freaks of nature, and living teratomatic jokes which could only have been engendered by the mutagenic hand of the Great Ones themselves. He put a pair of fingers upon the chill and wavy glass, staring into the foggy darkness beyond. He sipped his thick brew from a cheap bone cup, savoring its bitter, thick taste, redolent of the resin of the rain-drenched pines and of the strength-preserving idjrukk fern.
He would need his strength.

Jjuldae turned his head slightly, eyeing the room with one orb like an eagle (or, perhaps more fittingly to his appearance, like a vulture). The settled people, only, displaying their various taboos and superstitions. Blind fools.
And yet, there was one, one of the dwarves, stout people of the mountains (so lost to the Old Ones, for so long). How strange that this one dwarf (no different than the others, just like the other settled people) would seem so significant to Jjuldae.

Perhaps, he thought, this was a subtle sign; perhaps powers were reaching out to signify this dwarf.
Jjuldae swallowed the harsh green draught, turning away to face the darkness once more.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #408 on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:46 AM »
The hulking warrior considered the orders the treacherous brigand leader issued and decided that he had listened to these people enough.  It would just be less irritation to douse the lamp and murder the treacherous pig in the dark.

Just then, the stupid poseur with the flails noticed some sort of noise from outside.  It didn’t take any brilliance for even Vorodon to discern the likely cause.  “Those things… may have come back!” he said to the brigand leader.  “Help me move the desk to block the way in! Then I can use my darts on them!”  He shoved the massive piece of furniture to block the exit and drew forth a pair of his massive darts.  If any of the ghouls attacked, the warrior could easily pepper it with the heavy leather-vaned weapons before it could reach them.

"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #409 on: October 29, 2006, 01:32:00 AM »
Talia hesitated for a moment, then started following Vee.  He might need back up.  "You might want to get out of sight," she said quietly as she started moving carefully and quietly towards the cave entrance.  She was aiming at the other side of the cave mouth, so that she and Vee would be on either side.  One fan came out and she carefully opened it, making as little noise as possible.

(I guess move silently and hide checks are in order?  Spot and listen, too.)
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #410 on: October 29, 2006, 01:58:53 AM »
Passing by and near the dripping, earthen mounds was unsettling at best. Keykold made his way carefully, but deliberately toward one side of the huge cave-mouth.

Talia soon followed, despite her exhaustion and trepidation. As she passed the burial grounds of the vile little halflings, she thought she heard an echoing whooshing noise, a disturbing sucking sound, as if some massive, eldritch beast below had just sucked in massive amounts of air in one great inhale or had imploded itself.

Quickly moving along, she soon neared her designated location, on the opposite side of the cave as Vee. If the rogue had also heard what she had, she couldn’t be sure. Instead Vee was intently peering into the gloomy entrance of the cave. It didn’t take a thief however she thought, to hear voices and some commotion coming from within. Almost involuntarily, she glanced back at the burial mounds threw the wisps of morning fog. All was silent, except the unremitting downpour, and the bizarre sounds coming from within the cave.

Vee could hear several voices, and the sounds of heavy objects moving to and fro. He pricked his ears and heard snippets of conversation…
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:00:52 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:17 AM »
Conversations in a Cave

Mingo:

To Vorodon:

“What are you doing? We need to escape with the treasure, not barricade ourselves inside! You work for me now, or have you forgotten!”

In a quick, subsequent attempt to mollify the half-ogre, in case he felt insulted, Mingo opened one of the chests, and waved his hand before it, smiling at Vorodon.

“Do you see, cretin? Silver for you! As much as you can carry!” To further drive the point home, Mingo grabbed a heavy silver ingot, marked as it was with the empire’s seal, and gently tossed it to Vorodon to catch. “There is more where that came from, halfbreed! Now move that out of the way. We need to go".

To Tib the Terrible:

“You didn’t hear anything. You are spooked! And if more of those little bloodless bastards do come, you’ll crush them with your flails again! Steal yourself man!”

To Bigbones:

“My love, it will be as we dreamed it!” he murmered to the towering warrior woman, who was now standing near him, and trying the weight of various chests.

To Hamako:

"You claimed to be a wizard? You are a useless fool!". The black-haired, balding wizard sat in the bed. At Mingo's reproach he scowled.

"I need the boy!" he whined desperately.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:45:04 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #412 on: October 29, 2006, 02:01:14 AM »
Vorodon was not the fastest tactical thinker, but he had been trained by those wiser than he.  He needed an edge to win this fight.  “More of those things coming, Mister Mingo, sir.  Flail man right this time!  We fight here, I think.  Something in tunnel,” said the half-breed as he unhooked the far lantern and brought it to the entrance.  The massive warrior held one of his darts ready, gesturing vaguely down the tunnel with the lamp in his free hand.  Now all he needed was for that ass Mingo to carry the last of the three lanterns to where he could reach it and he could plunge the room into darkness, crushing one lantern with the other after he smashed Mingo’s lamp.

As Vorodon peered down the tunnel, Mingo started to come forward, suspicion and anger on his features.  If only he buys the "I'm too stupid to betray you first" act one moment longer, I'll have him, thought Vorodon. 
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #413 on: October 29, 2006, 02:11:25 AM »
Landlubbers Inn

As Glordren stared at the back of the olive-skinned man's head, one of the scroll's dwarven riddles began running through his mind. The scroll's riddles often ran through Glordren's mind as he travelled and read from the Akhanag-Marato Map.

Beneath a raging mountain
The First became the Second
The Third fell through the Fourth
The First and Second succumbed to the Third
Once more the Third returned to the Fourth
Yet the Second needs the Fourth to grow.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:13:11 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #414 on: October 29, 2006, 03:12:53 AM »
Finishing the soup and wiping the bowl with a slice of bread (dwarves don't run just on ale!) Glordren picked up his backpack, and proceeded to the bar, placing his most blessed behind on a stool beside the stranger. I ordered a cup of Hot'n'Spicy, goose fat mixed with strong spirits and ground chilli peppers, and spoke to the mysterious stranger after eyeing him for a moment: "In this place of v(r)ain joy and tr(r)ivial pur(r)suits, you seem to be a m(r)an of learning, lu(r)ckily so. See, I am on a quest to st(r)udy a nearby temple of old, to learn of its people's faith - you seem like the r(r,r,r)ight man to t(r)allk to (ter); a scholar I be, Glordren my name."

He reached out with his plated paw, offering it to be shaken, backed up by a hearty dwarven grin.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:15:01 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #415 on: October 29, 2006, 06:09:32 AM »
Moruz was coasting. Dispite the tinge of uneasiness given from this morbid surrounding, the heavy torrent of rain was consoling to him. Instead of trying to shelter himself from it, Moruz's head was raised high to the sky, and Axtrami's blessing trickling off his circlet and pouring down his face. It was still amazing to Moruz how these outsiders regarded the rain so trivially.
The glass shifter found himself thinking back to his homeland - of battles long since resolved. Of art made so beautifully out of glass. Of the shining city of Bareka. He found that he missed the desert. The people who lived out of it always seemed to regard it as a place of only death and desolation, but Moruz - like all of his people - had always found the desert to be a place of trial; a place where one can truly better themselves.
The Dremorix blinked - The group had already made their way through the much of the barrows and an impressive cave stood some ways ahead. Moruz also noticed that both Vee and Talia had gone ahead - at what point in the journey Moruz didn't know - and were now each crouching beside the opposite ends of the cave.

<<Moruz - previously deep in thought - had not really acknowledged Vee and Talia's moving ahead, and had stayed his pace with the group - currently some ways behind and only just coming onto the cave now.>>
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #416 on: October 29, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »
Tristan knew not the proper burial that Aethelstan would have wanted, but he did know that the cleric was deserving of last rights, and so he began the minute long ceremony, finishing as Vee was returning from the camp. He shuddered at the mass graveyard when they continued, looking at the mounds to see if perhaps this was where the ghoulish band had originated.

<<OOC: Don't quite know if a Spot check is really needed for this, since the answer is going to be obvious. Either the graves are empty or full.>>
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #417 on: October 29, 2006, 03:19:05 PM »
Aerex hobbled behind Moruz and Tristan, nursing his wounded leg.  Talia, Vee, and the glass man would probably be able to handle any ghouls left in the cave, he reasoned.  Besides, he wouldn't be much help traipsing in there with a busted leg.  He adjusted his hat, now soaked, and pulled his cloak around his shoulders as defense from the rain.  "Do you think they came from here?" he asked Tristan as he carefully examined the earthen mounds surrounding them.

(ooc: Search check to examine the graves for anything unusual or interesting.)
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #418 on: October 29, 2006, 08:33:20 PM »
ooc: BLEJH! Catch up time.

Hauling himself out of the mud as Vee got back from exploring the camp Dujek followed the group, trying to put as little thought as he could into everything.  His head felt like all the million and one shades of goodness had left it for better lands and quieter jobs.  Trailing behind the group Dujek directed his only thoughts at his lizard.

"You said you knew one that can help me?"
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #419 on: October 31, 2006, 10:21:12 PM »
Outside and Inside the Cave

--Tristan examined the fell mounds as he walked. There was no doubt that this heathen earth birthed the monsters he had earlier banished. The priest of Trigu now had an inescapably sinking feeling. It was as if the very stench of undeath was trying to seep into his soul through his nostrils. He thought of Aethelstan and had now wished the Senrenite was present. One more beacon of Faith in the encrouching, suffocating Darkness.

--Aerex likewise studied the graves as he passed among and between them. Nothing caught the sharp-eyed investigators attention in the relentless downpour; everything was ravaged by mud and rainwater. As Matare limped valiantly along, he noted the disturbed look on the priests face. He didn’t like it. Had he not banished a slew of ghouls! What was he fearful of now? Or was he simply spooked? Out of the temple, and into the real world, and all that. No, that wasn’t it. The priest had proved nothing if not hardened and resilient.

--Moruz was beginning to pine for the desert as he walked, drenched to the bone. His hand, the one missing two fingers was hurting him now, a sonorous, dull pain. Moruz surmised to himself that there was a good chance the cave was empty, and that perhaps the Adventurers-Upon-Return would be finally able to rest. Moruz needed sleep, but pushed the thought from his mind, as he noticed Keykold’s consternated face. Sigh, the cave wasn’t empty.

--Lastly came lame-jawed Dujek, lizard astride his shoulder and Kadarin, with Mouse scurrying behind him, trying to keep up with the suddenly smiling mage. Kadarin could not guess how it happened, but he was sure of it now! His spell powers were surging through him once more, though he was as exhausted and drained as the rest of his new companions. More so, Kadarin thought. They had not been prisoners in a cage.

Quite inappropriately, in lieu of answering Dujek’s question, the lizard chose this time to become perfectly silent, as if the powers of telepathy had left it completely.

--Vee kept listening to the sounds and conversation coming out of the cave. On the other side, Talia was keeping silent vigil, one steel fan drawn. The rest of the group was skirting the eerie fog-filled pits and mounds of the halfling burial ground, and were now coming up on the cave.

It was midday, though the morning mists had refused to give way to the warming air. Most could hear naught but the rain. Vee pricked his ears once more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you see Ogre? Or is it you smell something. Are not your noses akin to those of dogs?" Mingo was now standing next to Vorodon, eyeing him sternly and skeptically.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I need you to go lift one of those chests and start lugging it out of the cave. Lugging, that should come easy enough for a lug like you. Look”, Mingo calmed his voice again, “I will make you rich. I already have! Just help me carry the chests to the road! From there I will use magic to get us twenty leagues east in twenty steps! Yes, magic half-ogre! It all starts with you lifting that chest”, Mingo concluded.

Meanwhile, Bigbones had effortlessly heaved a chest of her own onto her ample shoulders and began making her way toward Vorodon, Mingo and the now partially blocked exit to the cave, grunting like a pig as she did.

Tib twirled his flails. He simply loved the sound of his weapons tearing the air. He stood otherwise mute now, awaiting Mingo’s next order.

Hamako still lounged on the canopied bed, his brows furrowed in consternation. Mingo was ignoring him for the time being, but the ‘wizard’ looked worried and edgy despite the lack of attention.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:19:24 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #420 on: October 31, 2006, 10:44:18 PM »
Aerex bit his lip.  He hated awkward silences, but disliked emotional confrontation even more.  But you've got to say something, a voice echoed in his mind.

The investigator cleared his throat.  "He's... in a better place, right?" he asked Tristan, his eyes not leaving the torn mounds.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: October 31, 2006, 11:24:24 PM »
It was now or never, he decided.  As the brigand leader approached him, Vorodon could almost smell the lies Mingo had surrounded himself with.  He could delude himself, but the simple warrior refused to be gulled.  Mingo was a traitor, prizing wealth more than even his own family!  Such men as him didn’t deserve to live.  If the Volgottor warrior didn’t stop him now, he might forever remain a servant to the vicious brigand.

Like a dog…

He swung the dart in his hand as if it were a club, smashing at the lantern in Mingo’s hand.  Feeling the wooden haft strike solidly, he whirled to smash the other lantern with the lamp he held in his left hand!  The broken shards of the lanterns fell to the floor as they exploded into fragments of glass and bent metal.   Mingo roared in fury at the ogre’s betrayal, “You lying filth!  I’ll see you dead!”

Keep moving or you’re dead, he thought, scrambling to keep from being trapped by the enraged brigand!
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2006, 02:39:01 AM »
“You lying filth!  I’ll see you dead!”

It was all Vee needed to hear. This ragged band of brigands would happily tear itself apart for them. All they had to do was wait and let them thin down there numbers. There were at least four in there, one of them an ogre or half ogre. He would be the dangerous one, but he couldn't ignore the rhythmic sound of chain whistling through the air. He imagined one of the torsion arms on some K'tonian Gyroscope spinning, it's vibration countered by a similar weight suspended on a chain...a chain like a flail.

The light in the cave flickered and died followed by much shouting and hostility. To charge in would be madness, he suspected the ogre fellow of some trickery, considering the way Mingo had spoken to him. His old master back in Nimz had told him that all of the non-human races could see in the dark, so rushing in blind with a creature that could see...just a bad idea. Let them come out into the light and meet arrows and steel fans, maces and swords. Jervoe's loot would soon be in their pockets, along with whatever magical whats-it Mingo mentioned...unless he used it to escape.

Vee gestured to the others to hold their positions, and to not rush into the cave, like he had done with the last cave. If they intervened too soon, the motley band of survivors would likely pull their ranks together to put up a better fight. Divide and conquer, as the expression went.

(OOC - Hide in shadows, hold position until someone comes out of the cave. Mingo, Tib and the chick will be shot on sight, Vee will hold his fire if the ogre emerges first.)

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2006, 07:18:07 AM »
Noting all of the attention being made to the cave, and the sudden reaction of those closest, Kadarin moved up closer to where Vee and the others appeared to wait.  First dropping the stinking Gnoll Spear, Kadarin rustled through his robe, finding the secret compartment again and drew forth some rosepetals.  The words to his spells were as clear in his mind as they were a few days back when he previously commited them to memory..

You never know...

Coming up to Vee, Kadarin began to ask "Whats going..." when the ruckas inside answered the question.  Looking about, he sought a good place to take cover.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #424 on: November 01, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
Vee edged closer to where Kadarin was, remembering the trick with the gnolls. It would be way easier to deal with these hooligans in the cave if the wizard would be able to Sleep them. Vee was certain that awake or asleep, Talia would kill Mingo, but he wasnt too concerned about that. Another head to add to the horrible bag.

Vee pantomimed wiggling his fingers, like a street wizard casting a spell, then he put his hands together next his face, a person sleeping, and then pointed into the cave. He hoped the Wizard understood his idea...not that the wizard wasn't sharp, but that he himself just sucked at charades.