llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Back in the Day (Chapter I)  (Read 64962 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Back in the Day (Chapter I)
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2006, 10:15:44 PM »
"You wouldn't rest well knowing what you face, but you'd gladly sleep not knowing whether or not there are a score more of them down there that will, no doubt, notice their friends' absence sooner rather than later?  I didn't ask you to kill the thing, anyone of us could probably kill one of these in our sleep.  No, what I asked was simply that you drive it further into the caves so that, at the very least, when anyone comes it would slow them down, and their screams might just alert us to their presence.  Would you say the same thing if I said I was going to give this rope a semblance of life that it might kill our enemies?"  Stopping in his tirade for a second Dujek looked at the rope weirdly.

Or, If I could promise you that the thing wouldn't attack any innocents, but stay right here at the entrance to the cave would you be against my plan?  You see, through some perverse accident, that acids that coat one of these 'monstrosities' as you called it only seems to affect the flesh of a living thing.  As such, cloth and leather are both spared.  If we tied this thing up here at the entrance, it'd be a guard for us, without threatening the lives of anyone innocent that might be being ravaged at this very moment.  What do you say priest, was that really the problem, or is it just the dogma that holds you back?"
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »
Aerex placed his rapier back into its scabbard, panting more with shock than exhaustion.  He glanced quickly around, evaluating the carnage.  "I really need to work on my swordsmanship," he muttered to no one in particular.  The arrows hit home, but the shaving of the dwarf--while perhaps grimly humourous--was ineffective.

He knelt down beside the now unconscious Tristan.  "He may need your services, Brother Aethelstan," Aerex said, peering up at the other cleric.  "And I think you should reconsider Dujek's offer.  These brigands don't take prisoners, only lives; any deaths in there will be deserved.  The bounty might be worth more alive than dead, but if this... engagement," he waved his hand about for emphasis, "is any indication of what else is in there, I'll take my chances at a decreased bounty than losing my own head.  And I presume that if Master Dujek can summon the undead, he can control them to some degree, yes?"  He glanced over at the necromancer, then down at the bloodied corpse of the dwarf.  "Besides, this one's head should bring in a hefty bounty by itself," he commented.  And a bit of acclaim from the constabulary guilds, he thought happily to himself.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2006, 10:52:16 PM »
"Well if nothing else, I think we should get him inside the cave and out of the mud." Vee said. He didn't know much about binding wounds or any of them mumble and laying on of hands, but he knew that blood and mud were probably not good for the injured. Vee grabbed the unconscious cleric under the arms and started hauling him into the cave. 'Maybe a bit of wine in the gullet might help a bit, but not too much,' Vee thought as he struggled with the body. The thought of hacking off the dwarf's head was as sickening to him as the thought of failing to use his whip to disarm or hang up the dwarf. If he had done thiat instead of rushing in with the daggers the others might be in better shape. He was going to need a pull from the bottle of wine as well.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2006, 10:57:18 PM »
Aerex grabbed Tristan's ankle.  "Whoa, not so fast," he said, glaring at Vee.  "I don't know what you think is in there, but it ain't gonna be friendly."  d**ned thief, he thought ruefully.  "You want to run in there, suit yourself, but don't drag knocked out priests with you."
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2006, 11:03:39 PM »
"Oh, okay," Vee snapped at the inspector, "Lets leave him in the mud to drown. That is certainly better." He didn't want to get in a tugging match with the downed priest as a rope so he tried to lay him down as gently as possible. He turned away from the inspector and peered into the cave. The inspector had a point. Gathering up his crossbow from the ground he peered into the cave and decided to go exploring.

(OOC - will attempt to do the following - Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, and Listen and Spot checks as he moves slowly into the cave)

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2006, 11:09:54 PM »
"Hey, wait!" Aerex hissed.  Making sure Tristan was at least not face down, he clambered up the wet grass and moved next to Vee.  "Be careful," he ordered.  "They see us, it's all over."

(ooc: Attempting to Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, and Search checks in the cave)
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2006, 11:40:59 PM »
"A fine way to start this is.  Nearly killed because of a bloody great fool, and don't think I'm letting you off that easily," Talia snapped at Tristan.  "Get your face seen to."  And she wasn't entirely sure that she wanted to know what the mage was going on about.  While she herself had no particular aversion to undead... things, it sounded like it would be disgusting and she remained unconvinced that Dujek actually knew what he was doing.  "Regina always did say that fortune favors idiots and children...  At least that would seem to indicate we have luck on our side."  She followed the other two towards the cave.  She was curious at what the corpses had been trying to hide, and if this fight was any indication, they'd probably need some help if things turned nasty.  Moruz would be safe enough with the others.

(Mr. GM, same rolls as the other two, please.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 12:08:33 AM by Ria Hawk »
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2006, 12:39:44 AM »
--Vee stood at the lip of the cave and inhaled. He liked the smell of caves. While slaying berserking dwarves may not have been his forte, delving he thought, be it a cave, a temple, or some long-lost ruin, that was his forte. The cave was large, very large. Twelve by twelve feet in width and height on the outside, on the inside the cave spread out considerably.

Limestone, wet, fungus, bugs, odor of gnoll, warm…all these thoughts came unbidden in succession. Silent, and clinging to the wall, Vee entered the mouth of the ivy-choaked cave.

--He heard a sound, but didn’t turn. It was Talia and Aerex behind him. It took quite some time for everyone’s eyes to adjust to the sudden darkness.

--Back at the site of the slaughter, Moruz rose again still privately amazed at the healing prowess of these priests. St. Senren, Andur, and Trigu? Blessed Axtrami! He had much to learn of these folk. His hand however still pained him. He flexed it several times, and it felt like a flame had been put to it. The healing worked again, Moruz felt strong, though pale and still exhausted, but his hand would always be a reminder. His fingers would not reattach, but he was not overly concerned. They could be sewn mayhaps he thought…it mattered not to him at the moment. He approached Tristan, who was barely conscious, leaning against a rock. The priest had helped him, before he had collapsed. That Moruz could remember. Good, he’s alive, though his face…Moruz slowly shook his head.

--Dujek and Aethelstan argued, Dujek expounding on the joys of necromancy, and something about hypocrites, while Aethelstan exhibited a lively wit and vocabulary as he attempted to explain to the green-robed mage, why exactly his plan was idiotic. Aerex had let them both know his thoughts as well, before he followed Vee to the cave. Aerex was deep in thought as he moved silently, sabre at the ready.

--Talia was silent as she approached the dark opening. She was furious at the group’s bumbling tactics, particularly that new righteous priest. Well, at least her vengeance had begun, she thought. How was she sure? She had heard the name Red Hatchet when her caravan was ambushed. She had not seen him, but she heard his name. This were the right gang. She was convinced.

--The cave opening led into a huge earthen chamber with two tunnels on opposite walls leading deeper on, in opposite directions. Interestingly Vee noted, the tunnels did not much slant downwards, but proceeded more or less level, only thirty or thirty five feet below the surface. Swarms of bloated bugs buzzed here and there, no doubt attracted by the dampness. No stalacites, nor stalagmites, the floor of the cave was even, earthen, and beaten down. Trickles of water made their way down moldy walls. No sounds from either tunnel. No one present, no bandits, no prisoners, nothing. The “antechamber’s” radius was approximately sixty feet. The gnoll stench was strong. Little else could be seen or ascertained at this juncture. Nothing of any significance whatsoever littered the floors or walls. It was a cave..as caves go.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 12:46:10 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2006, 01:14:21 AM »
Talia looked around.  It was a bit of an anticimax, actually.  Although after that fight, an anticlimax was a welcome change.  She silently pointed at the right hand tunnel, then carefully snapped one fan open, trying not to make noise.  She carefully started for the tunnel she'd pointed at.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2006, 01:56:56 AM »
Aethelstan watched his allies disappear into the depths of the cavern.  Briefly pausing to recover his prayer beads, Aethelstan then drew a torch from his battered leathern pack and laboriously brought it to smoky life.  Sighing, he grimly followed his allies.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 11:06:03 AM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2006, 02:17:04 AM »
Pausing in his search Vee remembered his conversation with Dujek before he was hit with dwarf axes. His hand strayed to the new throwing axe on his belt and the masterwork axe tucked into the straps of his bag. Might be worth a pretty penny if he didnt learn how to use it himself. He palmed the opal in his hand and looked back towards the entrance where the others stood. As Talia and Aethelstan entered the cave he trotted back to Dujek and handed him the opal and the scrollcase.

"These don't look of much use to me, but if you can use 'em to save our butts then do so, if you sell them, just don't forget I gaven 'em to you and would like a share of whatever you get for them." Vee gave the mage a sly look and headed back into the cave, his mind swirling with better ideas for the next encounter. He would have to catch up with the glass warrior and talk to him about working together from now on.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »
--After MUCH deliberation and argument on the best course of action, and a cursory exploration of the surprisingly empty cave, the companions gathered the head and beard of Red Hatchet, the unpleasant head of the flind, and their newfound trinkets and coin, and returned to Ganse. The travel lasting a mere half-day was uneventful, and soon the group found themselves back in the languishing, dull walled town.

--Drinking from a mug of ale in Koron’s Tavern, a small, humble establishment, Aethelstan thanked St. Senren for his good fortune. And why not, he thought, the fighting was brutal, but here they all were, alive, and mostly well. Only a few folks sat around drinking this early in the day, but Aethelstan was now well rested and even began to chat up a few locals, with an eye toward making them see the light of St. Senren, and the wonder that was Andur. Moruz sat grimly next to Aethelstan, silently debating with himself , on the best way to go about constructing his next weapon, with this new bit of hardy laurel wood, and fixing his Ouzala, as he absent-mindedly flexed his three-fingered hand.

Overheard at Koron’s

--Why, ye be heroes now eh? Heheh..we don’t get us too many heroes in Ganse.

--Ya killed Red Hatchet? We’ve heard of that deathdealer. Worked for Jervoe, or so I’ve heard.

--Priest! Can ya heal my sickly cow?

--Dem bandits are getting outta hand! No law can stop them this far from the Empire. No one cares!

--I heard they got a mage working for dem too! And gnolls!

--Vee made his way from one decrepid shop to the next, his winning smile and personality fighting back the ennui and apathy of the shopkeepers. He managed to sell Red Hatchet’s pearl earring for 20 gold, and that was after a one-hour debate with the miserly gem-merchant, who specialized in mostly semi-precious stones. He unloaded two of the dwarven axes (keeping the other two), by embellishing their potential  “mystical properties” and emphasizing Red Hatchet’s prowess with said weapons. He managed to get five gold coins apiece for them, but knew, ruefully, that in a larger town he may have gotten ten or more. The Dwarf’s golden codpiece was still unsold, a golden buckle in the form a leering bearded demon head. Those that wanted it, couldn’t afford it, those that could afford it, assumed the codpiece cursed. He could not find any takers for the flindbar either, but managed to sell off the flind’s necklace of teeth, to an enthusiast for 2 gp.

Taking a momentary break from his town travels, Vee stopped in on Aethelstan and Moruz. He was a bit excited with his latest news. Apparently he had discovered something called Dollor Powder, which was on sale in limited amounts, here and there about town.

<<Vee, let me know what else your selling/buying. I haven’t covered everything>>>

--It fell upon Aerex to take the heads to the obnoxious city guard. But the pleasantly unexpected occurred. The guards recognized the dwarf’s head, and were impressed with the slaying. In fact, after a few hours, a few brews, and a few exchanges of tales, namedropping, and titles, Aerex was the star attraction in the guard barracks nightly “party”, which took place inside the barracks and was not open to all. He managed to unload the two heads for 30 gold coin in all, and get a written writ to lay claim to the slaying. Aerex thought about returning to the group, but was having too much fun partying with the city guard for the time being.

Nuggets of info from guards..

--Yeah, Jervoe supposedly has a base in the great Laurel Wood, but then again, his thugs have been known to pop up in the strangest places, in a quick and mysterious manner. Mayhaps that cave you found offers clues.

--As long as Jervoe doesn’t attack Ganse in force, we care little for his activities.

--Nah, we wont go after them, Aerex. It is not feasible. Have you heard by the way that they have some “illusionist”, whatever that means, working for them?

--Hey, care to join the guard Matare? Hehe

--Talia went about her own business, and before long she had found a fellow survivor from her caravan’s massacre! Loiha Pemnes, the snake-charmer, had also managed to escape that night! Talia nearly bowled the woman over in the streets, as Loiha sat there coaxing a harmless hillsnake from a bamboo cask. No one much cared for the performance and no coins clanged in her direction. The two women got to talking…

--Dujek sat in the corner of Koron’s and studied the scroll and opal. He could not figure out what was special about that blue rock, but the more he contemplated Find Familiar, the more he thought of the necessary ritual involved. Should he attempt it? He once heard a story of another mage who had accidentally summoned a grasshopper as a companion. That did not go well. Dujek didn’t want a grasshopper….

--Tristan, morose as ever, visited the tiny, local parish in an attempt to get his face sewn back on upon his return, and afterwards, his success unkown by hsi new companions, retired to an inn room to pray to Trigu. He had not emerged in hours.

<<<do what ye will..go about town..buy, sell, whatever. Or, pack up again and get going..up to you.>>>
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 03:51:45 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2006, 03:14:19 PM »
The fights were savage, but perhaps they would have been less so with better equipment, thought Aethelstan.  He set about finding Vee and Talia.  If the items the party had found had been sold successfully, perhaps they could purchase some armor for the violent Gypsy.  If she would consider using armor and shield, she would be a formidable foe indeed!  And if anything was left over, he needed a shield himself and, by Andur, a decent cloak!  It wouldn’t do to be brought low by a cold when there were innocents that needed his help!
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2006, 03:16:01 PM »
"No, you can arrest him!" Aerex joked as he walked out of the barracks door, gesturing broadly behind him.  He had had more grog than he'd normally allow himself, but this was a celebration, after all.  "I've already got my hands full!"

"Yeah, with that gypsy, I've bet you've got yer hands full o' somethin'!" a gruff voice shouted back, followed by uproarious laughter.

Aerex waved his hand dismissively.  "Yeah, yeah.  Youse wish there was a bounty on her!" he mocked, his Jantirian accent slipping out.  He snickered unnecessarily loudly.  "Alright, I'll see youse later."  He took the last swig of grog in his jug and dropped it by the door, walking somewhat awkwardly toward the Koron's.  The inebriated constable passed two pairs of women conversing outside of the tavern.  He stopped for a moment, and blinked them into a single pair, one of which he recognized as Talia.  Matare gave an arrogant smirk and a mock salute before stumbling into the tavern.  He started for the bar, but a queasy feeling in his stomach made him reconsider. He glanced around.  It was early, a couple hours before sunrise, and the bar was mostly empty.  In a corner table, he spied the necromancer Dujek.  "'Ey, Dujie!" he called out.  Aerex walked over to the table and sat down backwards in the chair.  "How're youse doin?" he asked pleasantly.  "I gotta tell youse, that was some magic you pulled back there."
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2006, 03:32:13 PM »
Vee sat down next to Dujek and Aerex, dropping the golden demon head codpiece on the table  and jingling the pouch he had the gold coins in. "37 lousy gold pieces for the weapons, the necklace or teeth and the earring. I couldn't find a buy for the codpiece and it is worth alot more than those who were interested were offering. The gem-buyer offered me 10 pieces of gold for it and it is worth more than that in weight alone." Vee scowled. "The rest thought it was cursed."
He leaned back in the booth and looked aver the current patronage of the bar. "The opal needs to wait, there isnt enough of a market here to sell it for even a fraction of it's value. Besides, it's magic or something isnt it Dujek?"

Vee was also thinking if he could find a leatherworker or an honest to goodness armorer, he might be able to swap the codpiece for a suit of better armor. It was unlikely that such a person would hve a suit suitable for a gypsy bladedancer, but if nothing else, he might be able to get the glass warrior something a bit more stout. A suit of brigandine wouldn't be bad, but scale or chain would be better. "Hopefully Matere got better for the heads."

(OOC - considering terms of encumberance, Vee is going to sell the masterwork axe he was going to keep, but is going to keep the throwing axe that almost killed him. Souvenier :p)

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Aerex pulled a small cloth sack from his backpack and slammed it on the table.  "Thirty gold," he proclaimed, beaming.  "Not bad for a couple o' thugs.  'Course, youse'll get more for Jervoe and his lieutenants.  These two weren't exactly high ranking, y'know?"
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:33 PM »
"It might have been, but I don't think I'll be able to do anything for you in the morning, Aerex."  That's about when Vee plopped himself down beside the two of them.  "Well, Vee and my inebriated friend.  I don't think we'll be leaving tomorrow, it seems to me that there might be a small problem with at least one member of our scragly bunch.  As for me, one of these spell's on this scrolls got me interested, but it'll take a while to cast.  'Least a day, I think, not much longer though.  And yeah, the opal's magic all right.  Soon as I figure out what it does besides glow weird I'll tell you too."

Looking at the codpiece Dujek noted, "Well, that codpiece might well be cursed.  It's old owner died a mighty painful death, you can't give it away, and I doubt that it's old owner was able to sell it either."

Finally, Dujek pushed himself away from the table and went to his room to cast the Find Familar spell.  Besides, if he got a grasshopper he'd at least be able to eat a farmer outta house and home.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2006, 08:53:49 PM »
Talia was glad that Loiha had also managed to survive.  The two of them hadn't been especially close, but they were still family.  "I thought I was the only one who'd got away," Talia was saying, "And even that was close."
Loiha nodded.  "The same for me.  Maybe there were others...?"
"Not that I've seen.  Everyone from the north side of camp where I was... well, we didn't have much warning."
"On my side too.  It was... they were everywhere."
Talia nodded, then reached into her pocket and pulled out the two blood-charms.  "I've made a start, at least."
Loiha frowned for a moment.  "Well, you know I'm not much of a fighter."
Talia shook her head.  "It's all right.  I mean to see them all rest.  Romani, ils n'oublient jamais."
Loiha smiled faintly and finished the old saying.  "Et ils pardonnent rarement."
"Find a new caravan, Loiha.  'Ni Tashin will take you in.  Konos was his second cousin."
"Maybe."
Aerex chose that moment to walk past, and he was clearly drunk.  Talia shook her head as he saluted her.  "I best go see what the others are doing."
"So you've already found a caravan, then."
"In a manner of speaking.  We all have mutual interests."  She started drifting into the bar.  "Mai le sourire d'ancêtres sur vous toujours, Loiha."

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2006, 09:44:13 PM »
Moruz sat grimly next to Aethelstan, silently debating with himself , on the best way to go about constructing his next weapon, with this new bit of hardy laurel wood, and fixing his Ouzala, as he absent-mindedly flexed his three-fingered hand.

Before him, Moruz had new and old - Laying on the table was his current Ouzala, in a very sorry state: There was only one salvageable tooth on it; the rest was either gone or shattered in half.  The actual shaft of the weapon had several chips and cracks on it: It was already a well-worn weapon, and Moruz knew that if he kept it, it may break at a vital moment. Wearing thick leather gloves, the glass warrior plucked that intact tooth out and placed it to the side. Ritually, he also removed the rest of the teeth and set the shards in a small pile.
Also on the table was a branch of raw Laurel-wood: He had used one of the dwarfs axes to cut himself an 8-foot long, sturdy branch and now had borrowed one of Vee's knives to carve a rough shape out of it. He was now working from the top of the wood downwards, slowly detailing the wood into a useable staff with the devotion and care found in his society.
He was trying hard to keep his mind off the fact that he had lost two fingers and a toe.
It was a while before Moruz realized that Aethelstan, who sat beside him, had lapsed into a thoughtful silence: It had been more than two minutes since he last heard of Wulfhere's adulation towards his saint! While the silence was welcome, he had grown used to the cleric's mannerisms. "Share your thoughts, priest." Moruz did not stop his task of working on a new design for Ouzala, and nor did he break his gaze from his work.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2006, 09:59:16 PM »
--Dujek sat in lotus position in a shabby third floor room. For the second time he began his chant and for the second time, the window latch blew open, and the shutters started banging, distracting him once more. Dujek rose, picked up a chair and angrily stuffed it into the open space, right after he ripped the shutters off the wall.

Again he returned to his green-painted circle on the floor, and resumed his position. He reviewed the scroll. He wondered why whichever mage had possessed the scroll prior to him, never bothered to summon a "friend".

He checked his "components". Powdered garnet, check... candlewax...check...tear of caster..check...all that other stuff, check.

There was only one thing he was missing. A 'warriror's finger'. Easy enough to find, Dujek thought, just need to find a corpse or two. maybe visit the guard barracks. Then again, there was Moruz, he thought. Dujek wondered if the glass-shard warrior would lend him his meaty digit.

------sometime later-------(with whichever finger)

Grant my wish but
Dont give me a fish
Hear me roar
Gimme something that'll soar
keep your bat
I need not a rat...I'd take a cat

Once done with his silly limerick, one he had heard as a child, Dujek began casting in earnest. Arcane words rolled up from his throat and his gangly arms began gesturing wildly.

Six hours later, Dujek awoke from his exhaustion, and cast a hesitant eye toward the green circle. Sitting in the middle of the verdant ring, was a weird six inch lizard, its hide as green as the circle it now inhabited. It briefly opened its mouth, as if in greeting, but no sound issued forth. The lizard began earnestly scratching itself with one of its spindly back legs.

For a moment Dujek thought of shooing the thing away, explaining to it in lizardish, that he was anxiously awaiting something more important in that very circle, and if the lizard would just be kind enough to go away---Dujek stopped thinking.

Instead he stared. The lizard stared back.

--The companions were gathered again. All except Dujek and Tristan. The ale began to flow again, this time in dank, dark Koron's Tavern. Plans were hatched, equipment was discussed, and gold coin counted.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:11:41 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2006, 11:34:18 PM »
Aethelstan contemplated the flask of sour wine that the serving wench had placed before him.  While it was true that they had little coin to spare, he hated that the fact was so obvious.  He supposed that he had nothing to complain of; Moruz had sacrificed more than any of their party, yet he sat stoically, repairing his weapon with inadequate tools and a maimed and clumsy hand. 

“Twas solely by the grace of the Lord of Law that any of us did witness this dawn.  I was warned… given a vision of the holy saint himself, yet I failed to lead us through the trial without dire harm; a failure that doth weigh heavily upon my soul.   

“After tonight’s prayers, a candle I shall burn, and meditate upon this lesson and upon the vanity that led to it,” the tired monastic concluded.

“T’would be well that we not again assay the desert lands ‘til we arm ourselves more stoutly.  This day, a merchant I did see, with a wondrous harness of stout leather, bolstered in the fashion favored in the Empire’s capitol.  Mayhap it would fit our Gypsy friend, for it was formed for one of slight build.  I would despair of buying such a harness from one of this land’s grasping merchants, but a wrangler more shrewd than I may find better fortune.”
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2006, 11:54:56 PM »
"I'm sure the ol' saint'll forgive youse," Aerex said, slapping the priest on the back.  "Speaking of which, where's the other one?  His face was lookin' pretty bad.  Maybe he went into that ol' temple?"
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:56 AM »
"It was no deity's grace which brought us through. Gods have no place in the battlefields of man." Moruz snorted and paused in his work, glancing at Aethelstan, "I have seen fields of death; mountains of corpses. Every one of those dead believed strongly in their saviour, yet their bones now lie beneath the shifting sands." The warrior sighed faintly and turned back to his weapon-in-progress. "Our gods are life. There no such thing as life in combat - only death."
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2006, 12:29:57 AM »
Talia dropped into a chair next to Moruz.  "I had a friend once who said he only felt alive when he fought.  But seeing as he's dead now, I think I agree with you more.  Of course, the guardian spirits rather expect us to be able to take care of ourselves."  She poured herself a drink, then grimaced at the taste.  "So what do we do now?  We can't just rush into things again.  We were lucky this time.  Something akin to a strategy would be nice in the future."

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »
"Well for one that last one was way to close to the Final Dance for my liking." Vee said. He knew that if it hadn't been for Aethelstan he would number with those poor bastards outside of the cave. "But I think we really need some sort of strategy or we are going to be hacked to pieces the first time we face an organized foe. If the flind had worked with Red Hatchet I bet half of us would still be in the mud and Red Hatchet would be looking at all of our weapons and not the other way around."

"We need to come up with some sort of...marching orders. Aerex and myself both happen to be effective with bows, so we might be better off on a second row. You (Moruz) and Talia seem to be pretty good with the hacking and stabbing part, warriors through and through, and would be best as the leads of the rows. I guess that puts Dujek with us archers so he can do his magicky stuff without fear of being cut in half, and Aethelstan and Tristan can go where they are needed, since they are good with weapons, and can heal those of us who end up getting wounded." Vee said as he gave a passing barmaid his best get something for free smile.

Watching the glass warrior repair his damaged Ouzala, as he called the glass sawblade, Vee was struck with an idea. While the others sank deeper into their stupor, especially the good constable, the rogue leaned forward and spoke very softly to the glass warrior, pitching him some sort of idea...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:35:45 AM by Scrasamax »