llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Hi ho hi ho off to farm I go  (Read 1440 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Hi ho hi ho off to farm I go
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 01:20:02 AM »
Either lilac or lavender, I always forget which one, is one of my favorite scents in the world.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
A couple of weekends ago I picked up a garden tiller at a yard sale. $30, wouldn't start, but when the guy pulled the starter cord, I could hear there was fire inside. I picked up a fixed gear beach bike for my wife, another $10. Nice stuff.

So I hauled the tiller home, and tore it down. The belts were good, it needed a new spark plug, and a cleaning for the air filter. I cleaned out the carb, reattached the fuel line, and put everything back together. It took a few yanks on the cord, and spraying starter fluid in the intake manifold (ala the War Boys from Fury Road, prompting many a Mad Max gardening quote) and it roared to life.

After this, I discovered that despite knowing how to repair a tiller, I had no idea how to use it. I did it wrong. I did it a lot wrong. I didn't need instructions on how to put spinning disc knives in the ground.

I did need instructions.

After getting instructions, the tilling and breaking new ground has been remarkably easier. With the tiller I can do a week's work of soil breaking and amending in an afternoon. Over the course of one weekend, I turned the entire garden bed over twice. Most of the garden has since been planted.

Whats in the garden?

sugar snap peas, alaskan peas, and dragon tongue beans in the oldest part of the bed. Legumes are nitrogen fixers, and will restore nutrients to the soil.

Tomatoes, a lot of different tomatoes.

Peppers.

Eggplants, and such.

Construction projects:

The beet box, a mammoth 27 square foot gardening box, was constructed from wood scavenged from shipping pallets. It is full of heirloom carrots, beets, and radishes. Lots of tastiness.

A constructed a folding A-frame trellis for cucumbers to climb. According to pinterest, this is a good way to grow them, with the plump vegetables hanging out of the bottom of the trellis, rather than being hidden in the grass and potentially run over by the lawn mower.

Some plant updates

French pink pussywillow didn't bloom, but the bundle of sticks I purchased exploded with greenery. Next year it will bloom.
Red Sand Cherry - an ornamental blooming cheery bush with bright red leaves, bloomed a little, but is covered with glorious red foliage. Love it, but like the pussywillw, I bought it as a stick in a pot on the cheap.
My wife is on a flower kick, this time around its gerbera daisies and columbines. d**ned pretty flowers. I approve.

This is one of the reasons I haven't been around much. The yard beckons, and I answer.
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
Garden update:

Picked up a truckload of discarded lumber from the hosiery mill last week, including nine sheets of 8x4 plywood. Going to be building a chicken coop shaped like a classic red barn, and the wife is already looking at where she is going to get her Americaunas chickens to live in it. They are cold hardy, have a docile disposition, and lay pastel green and blue eggs.

Some major good news:

I was looking at the daunting and unpleasant prospect of returning to my old position at work (2nd shift fixer, mundane work and a deplorable and inhumane 5pm-3am shift. I had previously petitioned to remain in the maintenance department and was declined. One of my fellow workers returned to the fixer position early, and another full time maintenance person accepted a higher paying job closer to his home, and the department couldn't handle losing 3 people in one week. I have been granted more than a reprieve. It looks like I have made the jump from fixing to maintenance.

I am still on dayshift, and I was given a company phone. Next week it's forklift operator training.

I think I've done it.

After nine and a half years, I think I have finally escaped the off shift.

Praise Cthulu
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 08:58:39 AM »
5-3 sucks! Good for you!!!!(I'm more of a Yog Sothoth man!)
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
Well done, Scras! Live among those in the light!
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »
Busy day of gardening today.

Built a flower box (7 foot x 2 foot) for my wife. Filled it with soil, and now it has columbines and gerbera daisies in it. Flanked by more daisies in pots. It's pretty in front of the driveway.

More box spaces tilled in the back yard, but not boxes around the spots yet, almost out of pallet lumber. The stuff goes fast. The boxes have been planted with peppers (mostly hot, predominantly jalapenos and anaheims, but also some trinidad scorpions and carolina reapers, just for the lolz). Also put most of the tomatoes in the ground. Largest group is Cherokee purples, and there are 5-6 of them. Love the tomatoes they make, plus we have friends and family that we send them to.

Tilled up a strip for flowers, and planted nicotinia. Aka tobacco. Apparently it has very pretty flowers. Will be posting pictures on my facebook as they progress.

Lots of action in the garden from stuff already in the ground. The dragon tongue beans are coming up in force, counted 22 having already broken through the soil. Going to have beans coming out of my ears. The regular garlic is coming up in spades, and the shallots are really getting rolling.

Things would be going perfect if I could get the neighbor's cat to NOT s**t in my garden. I don't care about the poop, but I do care about it tearing up my seedlings and killing my freshly sprouted plants. If the small animal repellent doesn't work, it'll be time to get a BB gun.