llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Quest: The Rules, the debate  (Read 5130 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Quest: The Rules, the debate
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 08:00:32 PM »
HoH: Hall of Honour - The vision was not necessarily that they must be the best of the best. That is the purpose that Golden is suppose to fulfill.  Each person is given the HoH to use them and if they do, that is what they are offered for. If not, then that is fine too and then they are all the more valuable when they are used. If everybody did use them everyday, then that would become an issue and we would have to reevaluate the system. Not because it is being abused, but that too many HoH would have the opposite effect as it was intended; they would become annoying instead of appreciated. But it is intended to highlight a few posts everyday and publish them to the front page to get visibility to all something that others may dig up in their travels. The main reason for them is that: to give older submissions another opportunity for review. We had many deep discussions on how to keep stuff from being buried forever. New stuff gets the light and as time goes by it slowly sinks into oblivion. We have a lot of submissions now so we needed a way to keep this from happening. One of the ideas was HoH and that was the original intention. Moon can correct me if I am off a bit, but that is my memory of its conception.

Those that are frugal in their HoH passing out have a much more refined HoH listing in their profile and perhaps it will be appreciated more. Others that use it more prolifically may have a huge list in their profile, but they are also providing a service to us by actually bringing stuff up on the front page. Both ways of using HoH have their distinct advantages and are serving the purpose of the system. I have no issues with either and I have viewed HoH and viewed a few to see tastes. It can be very rewarding doing it that way and I am still thinking of a better way to exploit that resource. People's HoH choices can be very valuable as far as data mining and finding a new way to show off some older submissions.

/dead horse is a bit squishy now.

Oh, wait, the quest and the topic of this thread.

/kicks dead horse aside in hopes of getting back on topic. (Maybe even split this to a HoH discussion thread...will start a new post just in case that happens)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »
Quest: I will go off the cuff without rereading much as my time is limited.

1. Quest was initially conceived to enhance those categories with low counts. We needed a way to promote those areas and create interest in them.

2. There is absolutely no reason that the initial reason for the quest needs to be the sole reason for them.

We are here because we love roleplaying and love creating. I nearly cheered when I read SE's post about making the quest as creative as the submissions themself. If somebody would requote that if it is not in this thread, please do. Does it have to be that way everytime? No, but we need to use that idea at some point. Just because we have a ton of items, if that is the mood and we have a good quest idea, run with it. We are looking for fun and if it is an easy challenge, make the quest reward smaller. If it is difficult, that up that quest reward as high as needed.

Should we count the HoH votes in the tally? I think so. There shouldn't be any golden votes on new stuff, we should wait a good bit of time before we vote golden though, they need to stand the test of time and attract us back to them, not just popped a golden as soon as you read it. But all those votes are given on purpose and because, to the voter, they go above the normal submission to them. And, yes, the HoH vote should still count even if the submission is rated a 4.1 or a 3.7. I don't know what they should count as and I don't have the time to do figures, but I think they should be looked at seriously.

Top 5: I still agree with this method. Just my opinion and it does seem simply an opinionated matter, but having all the submissions listed is just overkill. Deciding the top 5 can get dicey though. I understand that maybe the older submissions may get more votes but if it is a top submission, it should get the top votes no matter how many people vote for it. Is it a perfect system? Heck no. The older submissions may get more votes and so maybe get a more spectrum of voting scores while the newer ones get a smaller more beneficial pool of votes? I don't know, I haven't looked at them to see how the statistics weigh. Maybe XP could become a leveler somehow? Just throwing stuff out there. But listing all 20+ submissions is just plain unnecessary. If you want to extend a bit, that is fine, but I think 10 would still be too many and maybe 8 would be a more happy medium.

I think Ria figured out the multiple vote thing too which might make it better for an easier defined first and second. I am able to view all votes and the names associated with them--the system can be checked so worrying about people cheating is a non-issue.

Ria is the moderator of the Quest. (that is a period at the end of that sentence)  She stepped up and took the reigns when this started and gave it the attention it needed and now, as long as she wants the position, it is hers without question. I will defer to all her decisions as the final arbitrator. She will take my opinion just as any others and make her decision.

Level 3

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »
One thought on the counting of HoH's. 

Counting HoH allows someone to vote for the same post multiple times. So if someone wanted to, and had HoH votes, they could skew the results.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »
All HoH's are labeled by voter for all to see. If that is an issue simply count only one per user. If XP comes into play though you would also have to subtract the 5xp per extra HoH too. (Pretty sure 5xp right? Have to check.)

You are right though! :)

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 03:02:30 PM »
Okay, here's the current criteria for going on to the Finals, which will be used for the One of a Kind quest.

Right now, I'm thinking the top 5-8 submissions, with the criteria for being top being Golden Sub, Total vote score, number of votes, Hall of Honor, in that order.  What I mean is that if anything gets a Golden, they're automatically in.  Then the rest are determined by vote score, with more weight being given to high votes that have many votes, and Hall of Honor for tie breaker.

Additionally, the sub has to meet the quest criteria.  In this case, there are some entries that don't quite fit the criteria.  I'll pm you if this is the case, with the particular reason it doesn't fit.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko