llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Quest: The Rules, the debate  (Read 5245 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Quest: The Rules, the debate
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »
Well, had I decided the top 5, the list would surely have looked vastly different. I did not and 4.5 was the criteria for gaining entry. Everyone knew that.

So will this produce the most deserving list? I think the young players will agree and the old players will disagree. It is a very young list.

Has this followed the agreed upon procedures? I think we all agree to that. If there are discrepancies, like ignoring HoH and Golden votes that is that. Let us think about it till the next quest.

For now these are the finalists. Let us accept that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:17:32 PM by Strolen »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
The Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »
I think in the future these need ot be secret ballot type of votes with everyone voting via the vote option for a poll or in another fashion so anyone isn't swayed by another members vote. Just my 2 cents.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
The Rules
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 04:34:55 PM »
I think in the future these need ot be secret ballot type of votes with everyone voting via the vote option for a poll or in another fashion so anyone isn't swayed by another members vote. Just my 2 cents.
I'd second that opinion.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
The Rules
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »
I for one am never swayed!!

(well, almost never..for example a beautiful woman, could potentially sway me to..ummm..well, do anything.)

But seriously, I think we need one certain dungeon back among the finalists..two or three actually, now that I think about it. I say we start over again.

here's another thought...we should have three winners..1st 2nd 3rd..too many people have great entries!

Oh and furthermore, we dont need "finalists" in my opinion...maybe my favorite dungeon got a 4.4...maybe that is also teh favorite dungeon of 10 other people! We should vote on ALL Quest submissions, me'thinks.

*Braces himself for Ria's monkeys and flamethrower and frozen trout*

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:08:43 PM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
The Rules
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »
well, for this to be a suitable contest, we all cannot be winners. I think the winner and runner up is enough.

As for criteria, 4.5 minimum score seems fine to me, I did several dungeon submissions and only one met the requirements, seems fair. It is a contest and should have strong guidelines.

I do support the secret ballot also, since it could very easily sway voting, and if the vote is visible before the end date, it could create a situation of politicking for votes and i do despize politics in its many and vile forms.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
The Rules
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:31 PM »
not all winners...just three. And the quest is the contest itself. So I'm not sure a further "finalists" list is needed.
It makes no difference if say, a dungeon is included that scored a combined 2.5. You simply ignore it and move on. IMHO, there is something wron with being told which subs I'm allowed to vote on for victory.

secret ballot? sure works for me.
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Quest: The Rules, the debate
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
The rules are no surprise and I heartily echo AG's comment on keeping this one the way it is. I can't see it being entirely fair to change the rules in the middle just because something doesn't work out the way we think it should. So no more belly aching on how this one turned out.   :bat:

http://www.strolen.com/guild/index.php/topic,2965.msg41449.html#msg41449

Had to have a combined vote of 4.5 or better.
Had to meet the quest requirements

And then a small addition added

In order to win, you must vote.
You may not vote on your own submission.

Bang. There it is. I want to make sure Ria knows that we aren't picking on her because she is heading it. I love Ria for putting it together and taking the reigns on this. She did everything in the open and she would have taken any suggestion we threw at her. We didn't make any other rule suggestions (that I could find) so she ran with it exactly as announced. A+ on Ria's part!!!

That said, maybe we need to make some changes because this one didn't turn out how maybe we think it should. ( :) hypocrite ;) )

Great. Improvement is always good and you can't always guess what is going to happen when you start something. I am happy that people care enough about it to make the suggestions so lets fix it.

The Poll options: You can have a poll and hide the results till the poll is over. However, this only allows one choice. If you think we have enough voters to make the top two be valid winners than that is fine. Could have two polls as well I suppose. One for first and one for second and do it that way. :?: Might have to test that idea.

PM secret ballot is too labor intensive I think. Rather be like it is then go that route.

Having all the submissions available to vote on. I am tossing back and forth on this one. I think chances are pretty safe that only those with a high vote are going to make it into our vote so it might a bit too much to have them all options. If you wanted to do the top 20% or lower the threshold to a 4.0, that might make more sense than allowing them all. It just isn't necessary to list them all I don't think.

And I think two winners is just fine.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:39:22 PM by Strolen »

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 06:44:40 PM »
I agree with most of the things you say here, Strolen.

But I do not agree on the limit. Why should we hinder people from voting on low score subs? If I love a sub that got 3.4, that is MY choice, is it not?

And: One vote to rule them all and in darkness bind them. Not two.

Secret ballot: Thumbs up. Eliminates the tactical voting.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »
Well, I dunno', I was just surprised at the finalists... I think the current system works fine, really.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »
I agree we shouldn't change the rules in the middle of voting, but perhaps some of these ideas could be considered for the next quest.

I think some of these solutions are the cures to the problems they create.  If all quest subsmissions are put into the voting and everyone has one vote, no one's going to waste their precious vote on something with a low score.  If the score is so low, it's because people voted it down, and they certainly aren't going to waste their contest vote on them.  And if we want it a secret ballot, we don't have to worry about just having one vote because one is enough.  I think everyone would win in this system.  Except those hypothetical really bad subs, of course. :wink:

As for a winner and a runner up, I don't see any problem with that.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:40:45 PM »
I hear and will consider rules changes.  This is the way it was done last time, and people said it worked, so... 

I don't mind having a poll up, and I think I could fix it so that people had two votes.  Really, the reason I didn't do it this time is because that way there's no way to enforce the "don't vote for your own" thing.  I have no problem with setting it up as an honor system, and just trusting people to not vote for their own, or eliminating that rule all together.

I point blank refuse to conduct voting through PMs.  This is more to protect me than anything else.  I really don't think it would be an issue, but I'd just rather avoid the entire possibility that I've manipulated the votes, particularly when my own sub is a contender.  I wouldn't do it, but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

So of the choices presented, what do people really want to happen next time?

Oh, in case anyone's wondering, the way the winner is determined is a point system.  Two points for a first choice vote, one for a second.  When the voting closes, I'll add up the points.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:45:05 PM by Ria Hawk »
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »
Voting by poll: :up:, though I can see how the voting on your own sub thing would be difficult to enforce.

Voting by PM: :down:, completely unnecessary given the infrastructure the forums provide.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 05:33:14 AM »
Well, the best system would be double forum voting with an automatic email sent to an admin when we do. That email would contain the voter's choices and should an author vote for his own, he would gain -1 point instead.

Otherwise I think forum based poll voting sounds great.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »
No matter what we are doing, we will stick to the existing rules for the contest.  I think the process, as we have it, is quite fair.  We knew the process from last time and it worked. Most of the solutions will open up more problems than they will resolve.

Actually, I wound not mind secret voting, as it keep mob/herd voting and voting to appease ones friends to a minimum.  Those are some of the reasons we change back from publically listing the score.

A PM to The Admin in charge would not be bad.... though then people will assume that the admin will be a King Maker and choose what they wanted.  So perhaps a blank account that a couple of admins know the password too?   This is do-able, but complicated.

Polling is just the same as posting your votes, except you get a little annonymity. However, their is no mechanism to prevent people from voting for their own subs. That is something we might want to avoid in a contest.  Personally I have no belief in an honor system. Too many people will do what they can to win.

As for the run off process.  Yes, the public vote should be 4.5 or better, with a miminum of the five highest rated.  So if the fifth best rated is 4.3, that would go.  HoH are too easy to obtain and are frequently just given because it is "new", but seven votes high enough to keep your rating above 4.5 is hard to do, thus worth it as a selection process. 

Note: Now this does penalized the "artistic" or "different". People tend not to like them. If you submit a piece like that rather than one that is more one conventional, one needs to live with that result. I do this all the time and my scores reflect it. People often do not perceive what you see as the true value of what you post .  Thus we suffer for our art or our choices of odd game systems/ setting. If you are in it for the scores, then you need to do more "conventional" posts. If you are in it for the Art, then ignore the scores AND contests.

Now about the running off:
If we allow people to vote on any sub, rather than the ones that were publically scored high, then this become nothing more than a contest of "who has the most friends".  Thus the votes make a good weeding system, as friends tend to vote higher for friends (though less inclined to do that now that we have secret voting). It is not perfect, but name any represenational process that is.

One winner is really all we need. If you want to give out more or have "almost good enough" ratings/ winners, then feel free.  But do we need it?  I personally think not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 11:23:41 AM by MoonHunter »
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 11:21:31 AM »
I agree with some of what has been said. And far be it for me to lay claim that my opinion is better as it isn't. It's just different. My wife complains often that I view things too far outside the box than most people. Job related I am sure.

Now the secret ballot idea I think is a good idea however how to do that I am not sure. I don't code I just write.

Having more than five finalists I think could be a problem as well as it could confuse voters or cause to many to be voted on for a final decision. My idea when looking at this was odd to be sure.

Why take the sub votes into account? Looking at all the quest subs, not everyone who has voted has read all of the quest subs. I myself have not read/ voted on all so I am laying blame here as well. What good it a voters choice if they have only read three of the subs, they will choose and vote for those three that they have read for example and not even take into account of the other subs other members have put up. Its like taking the presidential polls and only counting 45 states and leaving the other 5 out simply because the voters don't care about the other 5 states. I don't really think you can give a 100% voters choice if the voters haven't read every quest submission and taken into account the entire playing field.

While this probably won't be taken seriously or considered I felt it should be noted as a viable issue.

Another idea. My sugesstion was either to list all quest subs down and have a master vote of what people like not including the sub votes but only as long as the people voting have read and commented on the quest subs. Say twenty subs were done. List those twenty in order of 1 - 20, 1 being the highest rated and 20 being the lowest. Then from everyone who votes take out the top five and have a vote on the winner and runner up. That way at least those voting will take some time to say, ok this was was good but I liked this one better. Another far outside the box thought.

My 2 cents. And I wasn't bringing any of this up to say the current way is wrong and needs to be done over as it wouldn't be fair to the current voters/ winners.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 11:37:59 AM »
While this probably won't be taken seriously or considered I felt it should be noted as a viable issue.
On the contrary. I think it was a very sensible argument.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »
And now that our next quest is nearing, I believe it is time to revive old threads.

I personally don't mind limiting the choices down to a top 5-10.  I know that I probably haven't read all of the posts, and the smaller group (maybe two for every five, with a minimum of five?) gives me the chance to read through the posts that are getting voted on, instead of just pulling one that I remember reading out of a hat.  There is a point to limiting the number of posts getting voted on, but limiting them too much causes useless strife.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
That is why I like the hurdle of the initial votes, with a minimum of 5 or so in the final pool.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »
I just think that everyone should be required to read and vote on all of the subs before voting. Other than reading two or three and only voting on those. It doesn't even the playing field if the other 20 subs are not read or voted so their 4.5 or better isn't even considered because the possibility of them getting a higher vote is gone for not everyone reading everything.

I feel that all votes and HOH should be taken into consideration and added and then the top numbers voted on. Before a person can vote they should prove that they have read the other subs or at least the ones that made it to the finalists. I just feel like Im beating a dead horse so off to work again.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 01:44:38 PM »
Dead horses are there for the beating, Mourngrymn. It isn't as if they could protest or anything. ;)

As for the matter at hand: You all know my stance on this issue.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 03:23:05 PM »
I just think that everyone should be required to read and vote on all of the subs before voting. Other than reading two or three and only voting on those. It doesn't even the playing field if the other 20 subs are not read or voted so their 4.5 or better isn't even considered because the possibility of them getting a higher vote is gone for not everyone reading everything.

Everyone who is voting is pretty much reading and voting on all of them before hand.  You can't force people to do it, but the active members of the Citadel pretty much read everything.  Besides certain people did read the posts, but chose not to vote for what ever reason.

I feel that all votes and HOH should be taken into consideration and added and then the top numbers voted on. Before a person can vote they should prove that they have read the other subs or at least the ones that made it to the finalists. I just feel like Im beating a dead horse so off to work again.

HoH are just a function of bordom.  They are not quite fufilling their conceptual role. HoH just means someone thought it was "neat" and there was nothing else for them to vote on, on a given day.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 03:41:08 PM »
HoH are just a function of bordom.  They are not quite fufilling their conceptual role. HoH just means someone thought it was "neat" and there was nothing else for them to vote on, on a given day.
A function of boredom?

This does not hold any truth for me. I use Hall of Honours sparingly, for the deserving. I don't know what the inteded purpose was, but the use I have found for it is decent. I put an emphasis on me here. I cannot presume to speak for others in this case.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »
I use Hall of Honours sparingly, for the deserving. I don't know what the inteded purpose was, but the use I have found for it is decent. I put an emphasis on me here. I cannot presume to speak for others in this case.

And it seems that you are in the vast minority...
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 05:21:48 PM »
Well, I'd probably be in that minority too.

We're like the Chechen rebels or something... FIGHT THE POWER
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 10:20:56 AM »
I agree so put me in the growing minority. I rarely use my HOH votes. Compared to the number of votes I have given and the number of HOH I have handed out, it is in single digit percentages. I will give maybe two out a month, if that. I honestly use it on something I think stands out and is a superior sub. If others dont use it that way, as you said we can't force someone to vote on everything or use a vote or a HOH a certain way, then so be it.

I was just stating a personal fact, which doesn't ride with the majority rules concensus I know.

/goes back to beating the horse in silence.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia