llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Horses of all kinds and colours  (Read 5722 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Horses of all kinds and colours
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »
Attention horse-lovers!

Having a new toy to play with, I thought of making a generator for... of all things, horses.

It could be nice to have something that makes a horse with a push of a button - the basic colour, the various unusual marks and little quirks, up to the psyche of the animal. Simply, a random template you can base a solid horse-NPC on. ;)

There is already some stuff in: http://www.strolen.com/content.php?node=1799 - feel free to put here more, as well as ideas on the generated categories, and how should the output look like. With some aid from your side, I may be able to make another little toy for us all.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Appaloosa

• Apprentice
    • Appy's Myspace page
    • Awards
Re: Horses of all kinds and colours
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:34:27 PM »
Spots it must generate spots! black spots, brown spots, many spots, few spots, Oh and maybe a few bay horses as well they don't have to have spots. :wink:
Horse thou art truly a creature
without equal, for thou fliest
without wings and conquerest
without sword.
                  ~The Koran

Offline manfred

• Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:10:33 AM »
OK, it will have spots... it seems that spots are what counts. :)

If you feel like it, could you make a little list or two of possible places/frequency for spots? Socks will come there, since they are not quite a facial mark.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

---

Placeholder for stuff:

Colors flown proud (the basic colour)

Grey - a mixture of black and white hairs throughout. Coat varies from light to iron grey. Skin is black.

Fleabitten Grey - grey coat flecked with brown specks.

Dappled Grey - light grey base coat with dark grey spots or rings.

Bay - reddish coat with black mane, tail, and points (limbs, see socks). Coat color may range from red to brown or yellowish.

Chestnut - varies from a pale golden color to a rich red gold. The mane and tale may be lighter, or darker than the base coat.

Liver Chestnut - the darkest shade of chestnut.

Sorrel - a light red chestnut.

Brown - a mixture of black and brown hairs with black points, mane, and tail. A very dark brown horse may appear black.

Roan - any body color with white body hairs interspersed. Overall lightens the color of the horse.

Strawberry Roan - chestnut body color with white hairs, giving the horse a pinkish tinge.

Blue Roan - black or dark brown horse with white hairs giving a blue tinge.

Dun - light sandy colored coat with black mane and tail, often accompanied by a dark dorsal stripe extending from the line of the neck to the tail, and sometimes by stripes, or bars on the withers and legs. These are considered primitive markings. Dun can vary from yellow to a buckskin/mouse color. The skin is black.

Palomino - gold coat with white mane and tail.

Spotted - small, more or less circular patches of hair a different color from the main body color. Sometimes called Leopard Spots if the spots are small and in profuse number.

Piebald - large irregular patches of black and white.

Skewbald - large irregular patches of white, and any other color, except black.

Cream - cream colored coat with unpigmented skin. Also called Cremello.

Brindle Brown - or grey streaked or patched with a darker color.

Facial Markings

Star - the horse has small spot, ot splash of white in the center of the face, usually near the top of the head, between eyes.

Stripe - thin verticle stripe of white running from the center of the face, down to the nose.

Snip Star - located on the nose, or muzzle of the horse.

Interrupted Stripe - snip, star, and a seperate bar between the two.

Blaze - wide white stripe extending from the top of the face down to the muzzle. Blazes are common.

White Face - the horse has a solid white face

Socks - generally a horse with white, or black feet or legs and a coat of a different color. Socks can range from coronets that are little more than a white ring around the top of the hoof to High socks that cover the majority of the leg. (This one will go to Spots.)

No special mark of any kind. (There should be such horses, too.)

Attributes (may pick two of each, but need more options in that case)

Good Attributes
endurance, doesn't spook, hard hooves, good teeth, strong bones, good legs, defined musculature, high arched neck, good movement/locomotion, good spirit, energetic

Bad Attirbutes
soft or brittle hooves, bad teeth, weak or light bones, poorly conformed legs, poorly defined musculature, lazy neck and sloppy locomotion, mean spirited, lazy, likes to bite, aggressive, conformational defect (-> another list, see below)

Conformational Defects

Back at the knee The knees of the front legs extend backwards past the line of the fetlock and shoulder.

Calf knee knee joint is shallow from front to back. Poor action in the joint.

Cow Hocks hocks (back leg 'knee' joint) turn inwards when viewed from behind. Knock-kneed

Ewe Neck Neck is concave on the top, and convex on the bottom, a thick and droopy neck.

Herring-Gutted horse has an upward slope from the front to the back of the belly. Looks like a greyhound. May have cholic and digestive problems.

Over at the Knee Horse has knee joints that protrude forward. Knobby knees.

Pigeon Toes Toes turn inwards. Poor action, possibly much easier to injur legs, joints

Roach Backed Spine has exaggerated upward curve, really unpleasant ride, later on, back problems

Slab Sided horse's ribs are flat, as opposed to being rounded outwards, or 'well sprung'

Splay Footed Toes turn outwards, horse has very sloppy walk.

Sway Back Horse has exaggerated downward curve in spine. Looks broken down, despite age or condition

---

Test-generated result (just picking the first options of every list):

The basic colour is Grey - a mixture of black and white hairs throughout. Coat varies from light to iron grey. Skin is black.

On its face is a Star - the horse has small spot, ot splash of white in the center of the face, usually near the top of the head, between eyes.

On the positive side, the horse has endurance. On the other hand, it has soft or brittle hooves.

Not sure if I want to include horsetypes, but it is an option.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:22:32 AM by manfred »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:28:15 AM »
Conformational Defects...Superb!  :up:

I will write an 10k word essay: *Minutae Rules!*

nice work manfred!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:41:51 AM »
(Pssst! That is all stolen from Scras' thread! Don't tell him!)

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 11:20:31 AM »
I knew I heard someone rustling through my old work!

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 02:32:49 PM »
OK, it is a bit dry, and tends to produce funny results (good teeth+bad teeth, good spirit+aggressive), but for something made in an hour it isn't bad, huh?

http://generating.strolen.com/gen/horses.html

Now I just need the lists of spots - any volunteer?

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 03:12:09 PM »
Spotology

Flea biten - The horse has a white base coat that is covered with a profusion of small spots of color. Unlike a traditional appaloosa, these spots are roughly the size of a fingertip and are widely and fairly evenly dispersed across the horse. The spots can be palomino, bay or brown, liver, or black.

Leopard Appaloosa - Has a white base coat covered with hand sized or slightly larger spots. These spots can be the same colors listed above, though black and liver are the most common. (appy will confirm/deny this)

Blanket Appaloosa - This horse has a normal colored body, but has a white blanket across its rear quarters that is covered in spots.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 02:54:22 AM »
Spottage added.

Check if it is correct, and perhaps add more options, or let me know of the frequency of the options - if there are some more often than others.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:15:07 PM »
Spotology 102

Fleabitten Options
Full body coverage -  horse is a roan of the appropriate color

3/4 flea bitten - horse has roughly 1/4 of its body white, generally along the belly and inside of the legs that are free from the colored spots.

1/2 flea bitten - horse is white on underside, lower part of the throat and legs. Sides and back exhibit flea-bitting pattern.

1/4 flea bitten - horse is predominantly white with localized patches of flea-bitting, generally on the sides or the rear of the horse.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 04:11:20 AM »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
I present my generated mount:

The basic colour is Blue Roan - black or dark brown horse with white hairs giving a blue tinge.

On its face is no special mark of any kind.

On the positive side, the horse has strong bones, on the other hand, it has a lazy neck and sloppy locomotion.

As for spots, it is a 'Bay horse' - doesn't have any special spots.

C'mon, I can't ride this thing into a war!!!! "Strong bones, lazy neck, sloppy locomotion...." sounds like my 6 year old  :P

Lets try again:

The basic colour is Dappled Grey - light grey base coat with dark grey spots or rings.

On its face is an Interrupted Stripe - snip, star, and a separate bar between the two.

On the positive side, the horse has hard hooves, on the other hand, it has weak or light bones.

As for spots, it is a 'Leopard Appaloosa' - has a white base coat covered with hand sized or slightly larger spots. These spots can be the same colors listed above, though black and liver are the most common.

That's better! Except the color scheme confuses me (And hopefully confuses the enemy too!)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:24:47 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
I know what can be added 1. sex of horse, 2. size/type of horse (destrier, rouncey, courser...gelding? etc) 3. other--warmblood, draft horse, feral horse, zorse, etc

Whenever you get around to it, manfred, no rush :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:39:19 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »
is a 'Leopard Appaloosa' - has a white base coat covered with hand sized or slightly larger spots. These spots can be the same colors listed above, though black and liver are the most common.
[/quote]

Liver colored spots? Blech!  :P
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."