llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: ICO  (Read 2923 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
ICO
« on: July 14, 2006, 08:27:57 PM »
I have seen the light, and I want more like it! without the shadow of a doubt in my mind I can tell you that Ico is the best game to have ever walked this earth, if an emotionally draining, enigmatic and frustrating one (the frustation makes it fun, somehow, seriously.) If you've never heard of it or played it, buy it. BUY IT NOW!
There are a lot of questions left open, especially in the US version but that's part of the tiring and almost irratating fun. Of course, caling it frustrating and irratating is a little weird considering I'm trying to extol its infinitude of virtue, but you'd really have to play to understand. Anyway, look under puzzle games if your trying to rent and/or buy it (it's for the PS2, by the way.) Little old and pretty unpopular, but it's worth hunting down.

Offline Rei

• ~Cursed Demi-God~
  • Master
  • "Death to all sinners"
    • My happy gallery xD
    • Awards
Re: ICO
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 05:23:27 AM »
Uh...
1st question... What ICO stands for???
"Mostly... Mothers have the best mood destroying ability"

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 11:36:58 AM »
Ico is the name of the protagonist of the game, a little boy with horns. I have not played the game, but after reading some killer reviews I bought it for my son aged 6. My girlfriend and my boy played it together and let me tell you: Only one other time has my SO ever been so attached to a game. My son also LOVED it. Unfortunately it gave my son nightmares and he began to cry when the shadows came, so we had to forbid it in my household.

Still: Great, great game
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:22:48 PM »
I can certainl understand the nightmares, those shadows creeped my out. Scariest part was the fact that the princess couldn't fight them back so you'd have to stop whatever you were doing, grab a sword (or stick) and almost kill yourself getting to her. Sometimes leaving her unattended was the scariest part, because the entire time you'd be thinking they were going to attack, over, and over, and over...

I heard a rumor just awhile ago that there was going to be a sequel.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 08:43:26 AM »
It has already been launched. It is called "Shadow of the Colossus" and is available on the PS2.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 05:16:22 PM »
Your kidding me! Shadow of the Colossus is related? I've been meaning to get that for awhile...

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 07:42:09 AM »
i've been looking at Shadow of the Colossus, and Ico and was thinking about buying one of them. I would only buy one, since i've heard both games are absurbly difficult. So, that being said, which would be the better of the two games? Ico or SotC?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 04:03:42 PM »
As I said: I never played Ico, nor did I try Shadow of the Colossus. As a former want-to-be game developer I do keep orientated however. The word is they are nearly equal in quality, which means top notch. Ico is obviously the original, while Shadow of the Colossus is up to date on graphics and such (Ico is old).

Flip a coin ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Steve... of the shadows

• It is a mistake to think that you can solve any major problem just with potatoes
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »
I don't think Shadow of the Colossus is actually the sequal to Ico. I know they were made by the same developer, and that if you have an Ico save in your memory card while playing SoC, you get some easter egg or something. I've played them both and a friend of mine beat them. I don't remember him saying anything about them being related.
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »
Shadow of the Colossus is considered both a spiritual successor and prequel to Ico. For several months during and after the game's release, the game's director and lead designer, Fumito Ueda, maintained that the game's status as a prequel was simply his personal take on the game and not necessarily its canon nature, as he largely intended for players to decide the specifics of the story for themselves. However, during an interview in March 2006, Ueda revealed that a specific connection between the two games exists: the world featured in the two is the same, with Shadow of the Colossus taking place at an unspecified time before Ico. He revealed that Wander sires the line of horned boys of which Ico's protagonist is a descendant. Moreover, the shadowy figures which appear in the Shrine of Worship are connected to the shadows which the player must fight in Ico. Both games use unique fictional languages as well.

-From Wikipedia ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 04:26:26 PM »
I don't think Shadow of the Colossus is actually the sequal to Ico. I know they were made by the same developer, and that if you have an Ico save in your memory card while playing SoC, you get some easter egg or something. I've played them both and a friend of mine beat them. I don't remember him saying anything about them being related.

Which game do you recommend the most, Steve?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Steve... of the shadows

• It is a mistake to think that you can solve any major problem just with potatoes
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 04:31:10 PM »
Ah, I see. Very informative A.G. but in being wrong I have dishonoured myself. *commits Hara-kiri*  I actually think Shadow of Colossus was more fun, the game was beautiful and not having to hack through thousands of little monsters made it much more of a cinematic experience for me.
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
well, i guess that solves that then.  :D

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Roack

• That guy
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »
Said hacking made a lot of sense, however, in Ico. The fact that it's not in Collossus only makes the world more realistic in my mind. Actually it's one of the best, and most consistent settings I've ever encountered, especially considering it's in the fantasy genre.