llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Poll

Do you think this is a viable background?

yes
7 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 31, 2003, 06:37:15 AM

Author Topic: The world of Kerren  (Read 23718 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
#51 food
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2003, 03:30:35 AM »
I decided that only two Terran staples took hold on Kerren: Soy Plants and Rice (they both are quick growing and can grow in a variety of terrains/ soil conditions).  There are a few other vegetables and fruits that made the transition, Potatoes not being one of them.  Open fields are possible here, as they are outside the walled clusters. A variety of veggies (native and not), some grains (the local wheat needs a few centuries of domestication before it is really worth eating, so we have rice and soy), and a variety of fruit and nut trees.  

All the Terran food animals (cows, pigs, chickens, and goats) didn't survive the local preditors. Neither did the horses.  Soon after they were all eaten, the colonists discovered that the electric fences actually attracted most Kerren animals (see radio/ electricity).  Lucky for the colonists, Gips were practically domesticated when they arrived.  In addition to producing leather, and producing leather without having to be killed (by peeling off some levels of their thick skin... like sheering a sheep but with a machette), they produce tasty white meat.  

Fishing is possible, but is never going to be a recreational past time on Kerren.  Lake, Delta, and river fishing is possible, but dangerous.  Fishermen need dragon overwatches to make sure the large critters in the water don't decide to snack on them or their catch.

Other animals are also good food sources.  Since megafauna is quite prevolent, one kill can feed a large number of people for days.  

Given Warrens and Clusters being dug into cliffs, Litchen and mushrooms are also cultivated in those dark, wet cliffside caves.  

Bee Keeping would be a more dangerous habit here, given the fact that insects are normally three to five times larger than their terrestrial analogs, and more robust because they are competing with megafauna.  However, given the size of the local bees, they would produce larger quantities of honey.  

What does this mean for the local culinary scene?

We have dinner items akin to Japanese, Chinese, and Indian cooking: rice bases, with other items in a sauce.   Veggies and Mushrooms, plus meat, add sauce, place over rice (Or just mean in sauce).  Pasta with rice flour noodles would be another popular item.   Riceballs and sushi like tidbits would be other options

If the tomato grows in the local area, then you would have Italian food, as prepared by Japanese/ Chinese chefs who never had eaten Italian food.  Similar forms with very different spices.  

Given the type of food, chop sticks were probably the primary eating tool for sit down dining, though the knife/ fork/ spoon would be available.  

Soy products would take the place of dairy. Soy Milk and Cheese would be their dairy.  Eggs of Gips would be edible, but since they reproduce nealy assexually (only way to keep up with predation), they are almost always fertilized.  The Kerren have not found another Saurian that they can easily domesticate for meat or eggs (It took nearly 1200 years to make the chicken the egg laying machine that we know today, so give them some time... they have only been here for 7-10 generations).  

There is not the variety of spices on Kerren that there are on Terra, so the food is a little blander.  Garlic is there and possible a great animal repellent (as well as people repellent).  Honey is there for sweetness (lots of it because the local bee creatures are 5xs earth size).  

The food in one area of the world would be similar to the food in every other area of the world.  This is because things can be traded across vast distances via Dragons in a few minutes.  The ability to travel and communicate great distances easily blocks the creation of regional styles and tastes.  

Cookies and Cakes would be possible with Rice and Soy flour.  The lack of Eggs would be an issue, but cooking with Honey, chocolate, and Soymilk should make a variety of tasty treats possible.  

Alcoholic beverages would be Local Wheat Beer, Rice Wine, Fruited Rice Wines.  

Non Alcholic drinks would be a variety of carbonated waters with syrups, root beers, and lemonade like drink.  

Tea? Probably. It can grow in a variety of soils.  Would they bring Coffee? maybe.. but coffee trees are not very robust.  Chocolate?  I can't see humans existing willingly without it.  We add a twist and make Dragons chocolate addicts...
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
#52 Night Sky and Calender issues
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2003, 05:14:22 AM »
The Nightsky over Kerren is fairly basic.

One Moon, smaller than Terra"s moon, but closer.
The Lunar Cycle/ Year is 30 days. The Lunar day is 10.  
That means the face of the moon changes visably over the night and the period of the moon from new to full and back again is 30 days
I want the periods to be something like this...

There will be one planet close enough that you can see it most summer nights to be nearly moon bright.  

There should be bright star bands... they can see the Milky Way in a way that no one on Earth/ Terra could see if for over 150 years.  The night sky should be intensly bright.. as they don't have the smoke of the industrial revolution and industry since to blight the sky.  

I never considered the time issue for the planet.  Oops.  

For Kerren
One day is 22 terrestial hours.  
One cycle/ Year is 340 Kerren Days.
That would make the seasons ever 85 days.
Axis tilt is a mere 4 percent so the seasons are not severe in their change

So this is not neat like so many fantasy worlds. However, what in the real world is.  I am not wedded to these times, but it does have a feel to it.  

Calender
The question I ask is would they a) import the earth calender and adapt it, b) make their own based on the cycles of their new world, c) be very science like and do metric time.

c) is unlikely given their "less science and tech stance"
a) Possible because they did name their kids after where they came from.
b) Possible to exert their independence and to make a time system that make sense for the world.  

Sigh

Months can't be based on the moons.. there are 10 extra days.
We can have a synthetic calender like ours, with 10 months of 31 days, and one month of 30.  

Weeks should be 10 days any way we cut it.  You could tell the day of week by the face of the moon.  

Would they keep there 12 month calander   28 days and every 3 months being 29?  This fits nicely with the seasons.  

but it makes the other elements messy.  

Time:
Should it just be an 24 Kerren hour day?  Kerren Hours being .91 conventional hourr, but still
11 hours a day, with days going to each month
12 hours a day if they go with the 12 month calander
Perhaps metric time? Noon being    Point 5, Six o clock Point seven five

So a Kerren second is .91 seconds to make the system work, if they do the 12 hour break down.  I could use the standard seconds, minutes, hours situation to avoid player confusion. Unless you have a Terran timepiece, you would never notice the discrepency.  

They would use the standard Terran second if they used 11 hour day.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2003, 05:53:11 AM »
Chocolate? I can't see humans existing willingly without it. We add a twist and make Dragons chocolate addicts...

Not that it really matters, but there the only place that can grow the cocoa beans that create chocolate is in a small band around the equator. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Several people has stated a dislike for the name warp. Shall I just call them Ley or Dragon lines that the dragons move throught? However, this metaphor does not work well for the fading ability, nor some odd warp abilities of zhan and jumpers. I am taking suggestions if you have them...

Warp. It disagrees with me. Dragon Lines is very nice but not a universal I guess. But we call roads, freeways, expressways, etc. Perhaps Dragon Lines could be the generic, Zhans Jump, Others Fade, others do whatever, just call it what it what they do. Dragon Lines is the main freeway, but the Saurians (can't remember the name of the dinosaurs, will fix it in a moment) could fade in and out of the Dragon Lines the Zhans jump or pop out of the Dragon Lines. Doesn't necessarily have to perfectly describe the "warp," not like warp perfectly describes it anyway. Dragon Lines is intuitive and more or less describes the majority of PC use with it. The other things can just be different ways to use the Lines. (I may be off track a little, will try and reread some posts)

Timelines: I never use them. .91 is a little too in depth for me to spend time figuring out and anytime I have ever tried my own system of time (months and day names only) it always reverts back to the familiar. Doesn't really add anything to my game except for the fact that a moon will be full every 10 days and another one every 30, or something generic like that. All I need are the large differences. Different color sunsets, two different sunsets, colors of the moons and directions they can be seen (for navigation)...stuff like that. Cool that you figure it all out though, and I am sure there are some that use it and are nitpicky about the subject, just not me. I say the less you deviate from the norm, the better. 6 hour days and nights would be fine because you can still divide them into a normal day. Stuff like that, but to make it so close, yet be different....

It may, when it comes down to it, not really matter. If their manner of time is different then earth, they wouldn't know it and so would go on the assumption that it is simply normal. So if it is normal to them, it may as well be normal to us and go with our normal times. It is relative. Maybe good for background info, but through time they would probably develop their own timing more naturally. I don't know, I confused myself writing this.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2003, 04:34:06 PM »
dont take away chocolate, it is our life support.
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#54 Chocolate and Thoughts on WarpSpace
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2003, 02:25:05 AM »
Chocolate. Hmmm. I guess the chocolate on this world will have to be Carob or gene modified chocolate trees.  In addition, milk chocolate is no longer possible as are some other kinds, since we lack true dairy.  

Thoughts on Warp or WarpSpace:  Warpspace is like subspace or hyperspace or N-space that sci fi writers just love. It is a different dimensional level that physically overlaps with our dimension universe.  The different universe has different spacial properties, allowing you to do things like FTL.

My view of this Warp area is that it is a large fluid space, with rivers/ flows of energy sliding from high potential areas to low. This view comes from thoughts on the flow of CHI. Is warp the chi field? Perhaps.

The Warp lines the dragons use are the same as Dragon Lines or Ley lines in the air.  Being in the air is important because you can exit and not worry about landing inside or nearly inside something.  

Are you entering hyperspace? Maybe. Are you entering the Astreal plane for a moment? Maybe.

You move into warp. In a moment later you move out of warp. To you it appears one world ripples out to be replaced with another- a fade desolve sort of thing. In addition, you have a sensation of movement- a whoosh.  

Fading is only possible if you are immobile.  Shunting is grabbing the first line you encounter and going a random direction.. preferably not into something solid.  Warping takes finding the right dragon line and sliding through it.

We can call it all the same thing.. entering warp.  We should have different names for each aspect of it.  I think warp is sticking in my mind because the colonists would of called it warp after their warp drive...

But I could be wrong...
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#55 Lighting
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2003, 11:52:03 PM »
If we do not have electrical lights... how do people see in the caves and dark.  

Candles: Wax Candles are very do able on Kerren. However Bees are nearly 5 times their terran counterpart's size, so wax and honey gathering requires brave people in hard leather suits.    

GlowGoo: Glowgoo is some biologic slime that often falls from storms (usually Zhan storms, but not always).  It is a biolumincent slime that is a plant parasite. As it draws the water out of a plant and into itself, it glows.  This goo, plus an air fern of any variety creates a symbioltic relationship.  It supports the goo without having enough water pulled through to kill itself, thus glowing softly for nearly forever (the air fern gets its light to grow from the goo).  This stuff is planted along the upper part of walls, adding a soft glow to rooms and corridors.

Biome balls: Water, Air, Water Pant, GlowGoo, and a fish, all in a sealed glass ball.  It becomes a well balanced little environment. Fragile and not as useful, but pretty.

DiVinci Globes: The most advanced glass oil lamps ever created.  The ball inside a ball design allows for 360 degree lighting with the oil betweent he two balls actually magnify and spread the light.

Shutter Lanterns: An advanced design requiring glass, hard leather, and oil.  Used for mining on Earth, they provide stable flash lights on Kerren.  

Glow Sticks: Snap the little cartridge and these sticks glow for ours.  Yes, they still have a strong grasp of science here.  

Any other questions?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Re: #50 Radios and Electricity
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2003, 12:26:58 AM »
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
Some of it has to do with the excessive nervous structures found in all Kerren animals, but especially in the Dracos (Dragons, Chirpers, Jumpers, Swimmers, etc).  It makes them sensitive to electromagnetic fields.  Longer radio broadcasts and electrical fences would attract animals.. large animals... flying animals...

So. While there can be electric lights, radios, TV, and electric fences, they actually caused more harm and trouble than their advantage.  Now, only Warrens have radios and they are used for short messages. Since Dragons can send a message in a few minutes anywhere in the world (a few dozen jumps) and not attract large critters, radios are used for emergencies or very short messages.

Since ANY electrical circut using alternating current has a frequency, I must assume that it is not the frequency, but the amplitude that irritates or attracts the local wild life. This would also rule out using microwaves instead of radio, since a microwave generator uses a high amplitude. Lasers communication would still be available since it can use DC, but that restricts you to line-of-sight and gets all but nonfunctional in anything less that clear weather.

Couldn't the wildlifes issues with electrical frequency be utilized in some way, say to lure them to one location or keep them away from another?Even on a metal poor world, you could just use some metal to make a small generator, like baseball sized, and use something else to create the circut. Other things can conduct electricity, like water. You could put the generator into a small stream and divert part of the water to make the circut and then leave and let the beasties be distracted.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#57 Lures
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2003, 01:45:24 AM »
When you put it that way, I guess I will need to add a "lure" to the equipment list.  The Lure would be a small hand cranked radio transmitter.  It would attract many saurian and all Dracos in an area when "set off".
***Thank you Agar***

The neverous systems of all Kerran critters are sensitive to electrical and paraelectrical forces. There spinal lines create an antenna of sorts.  Dracos, who have wings (or large skin flaps) have more antenna area, therefore are more sensitive to transmissions and can broadcast. Because they can broadcast in the paraelectrical ranges, they can enter and exit warp.  

(Paraelectricity is related to Warp and is part of the psuedo science mythology of this game)

The Kerran desire to live with nature dictated their removal of electrical items, which was perhaps a bit lower tech than they had originally planned.  

Note:  The most interesting use of a lure is the ships beacon.  Long ago, when they figured out that the electrical connection, they had to do something with the colony's (ships) beacon.  Without the beacon functioning, interstellar society would lose track of them.  (It seems that even with the beacon, they lost track of them... but I digress). They shipped the beacon to a semi-stable area away from all the colony sites in a fairly uninhabitable area.  Of course, fifty to 100 years later, somone inhabited the area.  They found a plentiful number of wild dragons (and jumpers).  This Ward uses its dragon resources as its primary trade item.  The Ward is currently hiding the Beacon in their Ward, to attract wild dragons to the Warren.  

Note: Dragons can tell who is imprintable and who is not. They tell their partners when they are searching for them among the people.  This fact allows me to avoid humans that are developing real psionic powers.  

Note: The Sun of the Kerren system is responsible for the odd energy field that allows for Dragons and Zhan to Warp.  This field effected the scout ship and the colony ship coming in.  It could be the reason that no body outside of Kerren has picked up the colony beacon.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2003, 06:58:05 PM »
So the beacon is like the thumpers in Dune?  Neat.  But what happens if it conks out?
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2003, 08:47:47 PM »
Ya know, since I've been reading Children of Dune, a thumper is exactly what I was thinking of.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#60 DO'H!!!!
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2003, 05:12:40 AM »
A thumper. I should of thought of that.  That is exactly what it is.  

What happens when the thing conks out is that the animals are no longer attracted to it.  So they will either settle in their new area, look around for what it was that attracted them, or head home to their home range.   Kind of what happens when wolves or dogs hear an ultrasonic call.  

So if you are counting on the distraction, you better hope it continues to run.  Of course, as the GM, I would frequently apply a "mission impossible" like complication, and have an unexpected problem with it just to spice things up.  

Dune, the book that made me want to use the term speculative fiction for most sci-fi and some fantasy.  It has fantasy elements, science elements, and some good dramatic elements, as well as some strong alegories.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#61 Weapons of Choice...
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2003, 05:29:51 AM »
I was playing with the weapons a Ryder would carry.  The weapons need to be primarily one handed and designed for use against monsters rather than humans.  (though we will be using them against humans from time to time... Warfare is not practiced on Kerren, but duels and assasinations are)

Also remember that most items that we would think of as metal are hard leather, treated Gip hide that is nearly as tough as steel.  

*Combat Knife: A multipurpose tool really.  Weapons a Ryder might use need to have really good grips, lest they drop them and they fall to the ground.  

* Crescent Knife: A knife made from a dragon's claw.  

*Circle knife: A round bladed circlular blade. Used in China. Can be thrown.  And is also a tool for skinning animals.  Good ones are metal, but leather ones are quite common.  

* Spear with a cross bar on the head- a boar spear: Normally only used when hunting Zhan

* Halberd: All around great weapon. A weapon that actually had a western martial art attached to it, in the 1400-1500s.  

* Spear with sleeve catchers: Ryder vs criminal weapon.  

*Javalin: Used in several of the mock combat dragon tournament events.  Add an Atlatl, or spear thrower, and it can be a formitable weapons.  

*Crossbow 1 handed: They need one hand for holding on to the Dragon.  

*Crossbow 2 handed: For killing Zhan dead. Requires a steady ride or being tied in to use.  

*Bola: A great thrown weapon good for capturing or slowling down the critter in question.  Great for catching humans as well.  

*Whip: A hard weapon to master, but very versitle if you do.

*Firebombs: also known as Motloff cocktails

*Boomerangs: While they make the toy ones, that return automatically, they will make the heavier war boomerangs.  These thrown items have ranges equivalent to a bow and are large and heavy, suitable for taking down game/ smaller saurians and annoying bigger megafauna.

*Triffle: This is a three tined throwing toy. Not normally used as a weapon (it has the throwing characteristics of an airfoil), but used as a throwing toy. Therefore it is used by children to hunt insects (while the insects hunt them... so it is only fair)  It is also used in an ariel football like game (frisbee football/ rugby rules).  Since it is something that people might have on hand that can be used as a weapon if thrown just so, it should be listed as one.  

*Hatchet: Another tool turned to weapon status.  

*Multipick: A tool used by the American Pioneers, the head includes a hammer and a wide bladed pick, the other end a shovel.  This is a useful tool for a variety of purposes... including the splitting of skulls in anger.

Swords are great, but mostly as an anti-personel/human weapon.  Not as efficient vs animals.  Maces are great weapons, but require you to get closer to the megafauna than you would normally want, plus cutting is better against thick hide creatures.  That is why I choose spears as their primary weapons against animals/monsters.   Given the lack of metal, martial arts/ unarmed combat will be a very common form of combat.  

Thoughts on that?

Armor:  Ryders will be wearing suits of full leathers for protection from the elements and from dangers.

Soft Leather armor: We have some pretty thick hides on this planet, as well as some very nice ones.  

Waxed leather: Curboli

Hard Leather armor:  Add a little resin from a tree and some heat and pressure, and soft leather and you get hard leather.  The suit would be soft leather with section of hard leather.

Buckler: Pretty pointless, but might be included.

Reactions?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2003, 05:51:27 PM »
Finally!
The mighty sword has been cast off it's podium as weapon of choice in a fantasy setting!

There's a shortage of metal on this planet, yeah?
So, might it be expensive even to make the small head of a spear or round knife?
Could these weapons be passed down family artifacts and heirlooms?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Yeppers- Metal Heirlooms
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2003, 01:57:47 AM »
Swords were designed for human vs human combat.  They are most effective against under armored foes, but are quite useful when fighting another person using a weapon.  On Kerren, people are not your main combat concern.  

Most people don't understand combat and how weapons are used.  When a European Knight wanted to kill another Knight (something they tried not to do... setting a bad precidence), they shethed their sword and pulled out a mace. The mace is the best weapon to take out a rigid armor foe, as it transmits all its force to the target, without counting on cutting.  Swords were good for taking on peasants and people not in plate mail.  They are good against weaponed target.  

On Kerren you really want to keep the monsters as far away from you as possible... hence the reason that pole arms are the weapon of choice.  

There is metal on the planet, but it is of a low grade for most uses (copper or tin).  They are used for some utilitarian uses, (pots/ pans/ woks, tablewear, mugs) but metals this soft is mostly good jewelry and accessories.  Iron is achievable, but it is expensive.  Wardens make sure that any Iron that comes into their ward's control is made into something useful and something that needs the durability of iron.  

Doors/ Hinges and machine parts are the primary use for iron.  Certain cutting and digging tools would also be made of iron, as humans sometimes have to help the dragons dig warrens and new places in the cluster.  Weapons are a good use for iron, but often retreiving weapons becomes problamatic, so Iron is not used for most weapons- just hard leather.

However, metal of any kind is not something that you just throw away.  You keep the item or recycle it at one of the few forges in the ward.  That knife you have may have been a knife made by the colonists 350 years ago.  You are not going to toss it aside, because you or your family may not rate a metal knife.

The Warden controls all the resources of the Ward (like a Feudal Lord did in Japan).  People are given resources and items based on their position in the Ward (what they do mostly) and what they need (they try to accomidate the large family, even if that much space is a bit beyond what they rate).  Rating a metal weapon would mean you would be quite a special member of the Ward.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
64 Other Heirlooms
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2003, 02:32:57 AM »
Things from the Colony ship (A modular affair designed to be taken apart) like windows or velcro (In space the most common sound would be velcro... just ask the shuttle astronauts).  

Also things of a higher tech level or of intersting manufacture, such as a gold ring, a terran Astrolab (useless on Kerren), a music box, an stuffed moose head, hologram globes, plastic clothing.....

Things that they can make here that you would not think of given the

Astrolabes, Watches (winding), crank phonographs, cylnder sonographs, photographs (old black and white plate type), steam turbine engines, hang gliders, parachutes.... the list goes on.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2003, 05:40:21 PM »
Another possibility for a weapon is some thing I've called a Dervish Blade (think I'll post it in items) In brief, it is a hunting knife with a short chain attached to the pommel and linked to a ring. The ring is worn on the middle finger with the link to the chain facing out. Not only does the ring keep the wearer from losing the knife if dropped, but the knife can now be swung about in much the same manner as numchucks. For reversing directions, the knife handle is flipped over the back of the hand or bounced off the palm, I wouldn't recommend boucing the knife blades off your shoulders.

On Kerren, substite a leather thong, or maybe a rawhide chain, for the chain, and maybe use that strong leather for the knife blade.

Has anyone re-discovered flint knapping? Flint is a type of shale that is commonly found with oil and natural gas deposits, I would think it should be found on any most planet type, but I'll research that some more.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#66 The weapon you described is....
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2003, 01:11:10 AM »
The weapon you described is one of the variations of the manriki-gusari. However, the ring is wrapped around the wrist, not the finger.  The reason?
Make a plastic ring about 1 cm/ .25" wide. Knot a 1 meter/yard string to it. Get a soup can and tie it to the other end of the string.  Swing. Swing faster. Note that a short length of chain plus a knife of any heft will weigh more than the can. After getting your finger reset by a doctor, you will understand why the weapon did not link to the finger.   Remember, the longer the chain, the more force you can generate... both to the target and the finger..

You really need to hold the chain to control the swing of the weapon end. Especially if you want to do effective swinging. You can't shorten the swing distance on the ring unless you are holding the line.  You also can't throw the weapon if it is teathered to you (well you can, but only to the length of the chain... the longer the chain the harder it is to control sooooo)...  

Any Gusari weapon is cool, but one a Ryder would not use on Kerren.  You swing the weapon around while ryding, and whack the Dragon's wings or get entagled on something and get pulled off your mount (insert decceleration trauma of your choice) or try to use such a weapon in a very strong wind (like when ryding a dragon at 40-75 MPH (60-110 KPH)).  

So we are back to pole arms without teathers.  Thought about teathers and rejected them because of the swing back issues and the being pulled from mounts issues.  

Flint weapons would be an option.  Flint and Obsidian (both available on a volcanic and young geologic planet like Kerren) would be possible materials.  Obsidian might be used for medical equipment there, as they are used for surgical equipment here.  I do not know if there would be a big call for them.  Stone weapons are not as durrable as any metal (from Copper to Bronze on up), and Kerren Hard Leather is nearly as durrable as Iron. They take 3-10 hours to make a single proper point (per anthropologists).  Pressing out a hard leather knife would take a fraction of that time, but you would have the 16-24 hours for curing the resin.

They would make great bow/ crossbow tips.  They may be used for that.  The Bow, being a two handed weapon, might not be used by Ryders, but may be used by Outsiders.   Hmmmmmm.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#67 Building materials and tools..
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2003, 02:20:06 AM »
Substances:  

Adobe: Baked Dirt Bricks with the right waterproofing element can last near forever.  Without the right waterproofing element casually last 200-500 years. Some of the adobe bricks on the Great Wall have properties equal to or in some cases better than modern concrete bricks.  

Concrete:  Simple, easy, and low tech one you have done all the development.  Many buildings around prime ward (and second site and third site) are made of concrete.

Stone: You can't beat it for strength and durability.  On Kerren, strength is the big consideration.  You want to be able to hide in the building from megafauna, jumpers, and other such critters.  

Bio-crete: A substance just being developed.  Throw a yeast, some biomass, and some warm water into a mold and a few days later... out pops a wall, a dome, or whatever.  If they can keap a yeast starter alive, they can still be using this stuff.  

Wood: Used for supports and decorative elements. It is not strong enough to defend against most megafauna, so it tends not to be used for anything that a person might need to hide in.  

Bamboo: This is not terrestial Bamboo, but it is bascially the same plant (Bamboo was on Terra long before the Dinosaurs, so a similar plant should develop on Kerren). It is used in place of wood for support and decorative elements.  

Glass: A substance that the locals can casually make.  With their knowledge of advanced technologies, they can make glass stronger than we can today with less technology.  Windows are always small, and usually tinted or reflective to the outside.  Why?  Windows are the weakest part of the wall and if the critter sees you it will attack the window to get to you. Tinted or reflective glass prevents the critter for comming at you.  

The Primary Digging Tool for larger constructs is Dragons.  After all these critters dig caves out of cliff sides, they should be able to handle any dirt or stone.  They are also the primary lifting tool, though Gips in harnesses can be a formitable pulling animal.  Some wards are experimenting with domesticating Saurians, with varying degrees of success.  

Building in a cluster are reminiciant of the Anastazi/ Pueblo indians of the South West (or any cliff dwellers really).
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#68 What buildings look like...
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2003, 02:28:08 AM »
Buildings in Clusters on Kerren will be square in general shape.  The walls will be of stone or adobe.  Most buildings will be recessed into the cliffside, but others are free standing.  

Since space will be at a premium in a walled clusters, most of these buildings will be built right next to each other, with no alleys between them.  There will also be a tierred effect.  A second set of smaller buildings will be built on top of other buildings, with their being a path or small road on top of the original, lower buildings.  

The look will be like the pueblo indians of the South West Americas, however there will be Incan and early North African looks to these buildings. Both areas used the same materials and the same terrains for their cities.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#69 The Events Chart
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2003, 05:02:15 AM »
In process......  When properly formatted, it looks like a list with some small indentions, but it becomes a weighted "encounter chart" for scenario ideas.  The numbers are two to three sizes smaller.. almost ignorable...  The formatting sucks, need to work on this...  

This current format is very much a chart. The Chart uses 1d20. The convention is to roll the given number and up to the next number listed.  I need to play with these numbers to better represent things (as well as add a few entries).

01     Patrol

01  Outlands

01  Patrol for Storms
                10  Patrol for Zhan
                18  Patrol for Saurians

06  Wilds

01  Patrol for Storms
                09  Patrol for Zhan
                16  Patrol for Saurians

13  Settled Lands

01  Patrol for Storms
                11  Patrol for Zhan
                13  Patrol for Saurians

18  Other Wards regions  reroll for type

01  Patrol outlands
                10  Patrol wilds
                18  Patrol Settled lands

08     Wing Duty

01    Alarm-

01  Zhan Storn
                15  Zhani
                18  Saurian

07    Defend

01  Outland Village
                11  Transport Tower
                12  Free Ward
                15  Cluster

09    Transport

01 Messages
                06 Good
                15 People

12    Escorting Traders
         14    Wing Practice

01 Duty
                11 Tournament
                17 Tournament-non flight

13     Cluster Duty

01    Patrol the City- Watch

01 Mischief
                06 Maintain the Peace
                15 Ryders
                18 Crime

06    Investigate-
         08    Low Justice
         14    Construction
         16    Goods

01  Collecting goods for central stores
                11  Distrubing goods from central store

18    Guards for High Justice

16     Warren Duty

01    Digging Warren
         06    Warren Chore
         16    Hunting for wild dragons

18     Complications

01    Events

01  Festival and Tournament- Wing
                07  Festival and Tournament- Ward
                09  Festival and Tornament- Region
                10  Festival
                14  Celebration/ Party

06    Natural Disaster
         08    Community events

01  Birth
                    07  Death
                    10  Illness
                    12  Hand Fasting

11    Challanges

01 Challange Bet
                    12 Challange Honor
                    16 Duel

[list/]01 Duel-honor
                    09 Duel-justice
                    13 Duel-romance [/list][/list]
     12    Community Conflicts

01  Conflict with a Cluster

01 Trade
                          06 Personal-Leaders
                          15 Pride

06  Conflict with a village

01 Trade
                          06 Personal-Leaders
                          15 Pride

09  Conflict with a free Ward

01 Trade
                          06 Personal-Leaders
                          15 Pride

15  Conflict with another Ward

01 Trade
                          06 Personal-Leaders
                          15 Pride

16    Personal

01 Romantic Interest
                  07 Loss of Romantic Interest
                  xx Gain a friend
                  xx Lose a friend
                  18 Gift: needing to get one/
                  20 Gift: receive

18    Dragon Related

01 Wild Dragons
                  06 Chirpers
                  11 Bonding season
                  15 Hatching of a dragon egg
                  18 Dragon Death

20     Odd

01 Discovery of OldThing (tech or items from colonists)
                  14 Supernatural?
                  18 Mythic
[/list]

Plot Inspiration Summary
Conflict between friends
Conflict between Allies
Conflict between opponenets
Conflict between two other groups
Personal, Economic, Political, Social.

Revenge upon someone because of

Birth in a Warren/ Cluster/ Village
Death in a Warren/ Cluster/ Village
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#70 Kerren Geography/ Geology
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2003, 05:32:54 AM »
Kerren is a very young planet.  Only recently, geologically speaking has its Pangea, its first land broken up into several smaller tetonic plates. This shifting has created a huge number of high mountain ridges (sharp without much errosion) with accompanying valleys.  Volcanic activity is fairly common, as is fitting for a younger planet.  The planetary temperature is fairly warm as a result of vented heat and atmospheric conditions.  

The Ocean is a huge affair with emense storms and winds.  The seas between the continents are still fairly fierce, with strong winds and storms generated.  These winds whip across the continents, channeled through valleys.    

As was stated before, Kerren has a 4 degree tilt.  That is a little tilt. Consider it officially increased to 8%, less than quarter of Terras.  Either way, Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall all look pretty much alike.  For some seasonal variations is the reason I want to increase the tilt to 8-12%.  The other reason for this is that without tilt, there would be very little weather on the oceans, and thus even less weather on the surface.  

What does this mean to you?
It means that the average Kerren lives on a mountain side with a valley below them.  Most of these valleys have a river of some depth between them.   It is usually fairly windy.  Clouds and Storms are fairly common, more so in the summer months.  There are occasional period of cold if there is notable volcanic activity somewhere on the world.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#71 What Kerrens do when they drink.
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2003, 04:05:47 AM »
First of all, they run a tab that gets charged in terms of credits against the Warren.  

As for the rest, they play darts. They play a liars dice like game. They look for companionship.  They may start making boasts and challanges/ bets that will have to be resolved.  

Cards may be an option, those would follow the people from Earth.

They may drink enough to get a little drunk. Nothing more than that unless they are off the flight list.  At any moment the alarm (be it a gong, a horn, or a siren) could go off and they will need to ride to a storm or some other threat.  You could go into battle tipsy or drunk, but it is your funeral.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#72 The Map
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2003, 04:59:31 AM »
The Map of strolen is in my mind... I just need to find a d20 hexmap to convert it.  

The world's pangea (super continent) recently (geologically speaking) broke up, so all the continents will be fairly close to each other.  The world has a hydrographic percentage of 68, slightly less that Terra's 71%.

It will have 4 continents fairly close together.  Each of these will have several "folds" or sub plates moving at slightly slower plates.  This should give each continent 1-4 ridge lines/ mountain ranges.  The plates have not subducted, but have compressed and pushed up.  

The Oceans between the continents will be fairly good sized, much like the Indian ocean (space between india and africa or india and asia). The increased distance removes the chance of ships that travel between the continents.  

Since the mountains are fairly new, there will be volcanos that are active (but not explosive) and the moutain peaks will be very sharp, perhaps sharper than the Canadian Rockies.  

There are only four sites on the map that are set, the rest are up to the GM to fill out (if they wish).  FirstDown (where the ship landed), FirstWard (the first Warren set up by First Down), Sitetwo (second colonial site, set up on other continent), Othersite (3rd colonial site, on another continent).  Other than these and some mention of these, the GM can populate their Kerren as they wish.  (I will give a list of example ward names, with wings associated with and their colors, so they can just populate the world).  

The reason the map will be open to the GM is to allow the GM to customize the Wards on their world to fit what they need for their saga.  For example in a NIppon game, you normally redraw the boundries inside a region to match the intra family dynamic of the various clans you want in conflict.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Found the isohedron map projection...
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2003, 02:21:11 AM »
I should have a scan of the map up and ready by thursday or friday of this week upcomming.

This is the first fantasy map I have made in about 16 years. Since then, most of the games I have been playing have either been Modern/Earth as the setting, or on alternate earthworlds, or fedual Japan.  So I will be dusting off all those old map skills, in addition to those planetology skills I developed. (Ever take Earth Science classes just because you wanted to create realistic worlds?)
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#74 Some campaign considerations...
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2003, 06:47:52 AM »
When creating a Kerren campaign, there are three considerations...

1) Strength of the Prime Warden
2) Strength of the Warden
3) Relationship to other Wards

for your campaign, you will need to make a decision for each of these points.  

1) Prime Warden
In times of a strong prime warden, wardens tend to toe the line.  Things are orderly, static, and very traditional.  Trade is controlled by the Prime Ward and may Wards end up doing things or trading things that are not always in their best interst.

In times of a weak prime warden, wardens tend to do what ever they want.  While the prime warden and his people help keep things somewhat organized, the Wardens control what trade, manufacturing, and the resources of their Ward. They run things in such a way to benefit their ward, even though that might not be in the best interest of everyone.  Times of weak prime wardens tend to be chaotic, ad hoc, and innovative.  

There may be something in between, with the Prime Warden being weak in some areas, and strong in others.  You will need to set up the relationship between each power block and the Prime Warden.  Each Power block controls/ made up of a group of Wards, has a certain ideology (progressive, traditional, independent) and promotes a certain person for the next Prime Warden.  

You will also need to determine if the Prime Warden is Young, Middle, or Old.  If young, power blocks will be either currying favor or trying to discredit the Warden.  (If discredited, the Warden will resign and a new one selected).  If old, the jockying for position on who will be his replacement will be the primary topic.  If the Prime Warden is middle years, then the various power blocks will try to intrigue against each other, trying to discredit or dishonor key members, to promote their own position in the Prime council.  

2) Warden:
What will be said for the Warden, will be the same as was said for the Prime Warden, but the scale will be different.  The Warden has to deal with each Wing, The Crafters, The Warren folk, HighBloods, and each cluster, in much the same way the Prime Warden has to deal with Each Warden and the Highbloods.  

3) Ward relationships.
The history of ward relationships reflects the line of Wardens and the People of each ward.  Just like there are rivalries between cities and states, their are rivalries between clusters and wards.  These can be based on trade, on tournaments, something else that is prideful (Best Apples?), or some perceived slight (They allegedly did not support the Ward when Zhan came down/ or certain megafauna destroyed a cluster, so bad blood exists).

Note: Warfare is unknown on Kerren.  Humans do not kill other humans on a large scale (though duels, near lethal brawls, and murders) do happen.  

This is just a quick doodle on the subject, more will be coming.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©