llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Poll

Do you think this is a viable background?

yes
7 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 31, 2003, 06:37:15 AM

Author Topic: The world of Kerren  (Read 28814 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« on: March 31, 2003, 06:37:15 AM »
There is a new table of content's below

The world of Kerren is a science fantasy setting I am toying with.  It is inspired by Pern, yet designed for gaming. Pern is a great place to read about, but a hard place to "adventure" in unless the GM sets up very specific situations.  Kerren fixes this.

The Humans are from Earth.  They know they are from another world and were sent here as colonists. They know the world they came from was very different and has many wonders.  They even know where the First site was. It is just north of the First Warren, the site of the High Warden council.  

The world was not what it was originally supposed to be, being metal poor and mineral poor.  While the Saurians onthe planet were in the report, they survey missed their seasonal migration by warp. There were also more saurians, many larger than originally reported. Over time, the technology has broken down, the metal pieces becoming rarer and rarer, and a plauge a two hundred years back did knock most of the old knowledge out of common wisdom.  

Within the first generation, they discovered the Dragons (and a few other Saurians) can warp, they discovered Zhan and Zhan monsters, created the first Ward (place where dragon ryders and their mounts live). (In the early days Dragons flew with the Hoppers (air craft) to defend against giant monsters.)  They learned to peel the hide of certain saurians (domesticating one). That leather, once treated would harden to iron like hardness.  

Zhan are green globby animated things that drop out of warp in storms (electrical discharge creates the warp effect).  They drop and slither arround.  They infect living things with part of themselves, mutating the animal or plant or human or dragon, into dangerous killing machine.

The Dragons and Ryders patrol each Ward (geographic region) from their Warren, flaming Zhan as they fall, killing Zhan monsters that occur despite their best efforts, and occasionally acting as police for the people who live in Ward.  The Warden, the leader of the Ward, rules the ward.

Non Warren folk normally live in Clusters, or walled towns, some of which butt up against cliffs and are pueblo like.  A small amount living in villages in the outlands (areas not near a Cluster).  These folks supply services to support the Warren, who in turn protect them.  

A campaign would center around the notable people of a given warren.  You would be Ryders, Dragon Caretakers (scales), and other Warren folk.  There would be the soap opera aspects, as well as the periodic monster hunts and zhan storms.  

What would you like to see in such a background, or have I missed something?

Page 1
  1) Introduction
  2) Agar: Critters that warp
  3) Warp, Warping Critters, Bonding, Zhan, Mosquitos
  4) Agar: ?
  5) How to Warp
  6) RiaHawk: People Mutations?
  7) CP- aliens?
  8) Mutants
  9) Other races, campaign Directions
10) FYI
11) Manfred: Star Trek
12) Agar: Motivations?
13) Why this planet.
14) Star Trek People answer
15) Character Archetypes

Page 2
16) FD- Whole heck of questions
18) Whole Heck of Answers
19) Character Seeds
20) Zhan Mutations?
21) Zhan's abilities!
22) Book Keeping
23) Ecology of Kerren
24) Some sample Encyclopedia Kerren entries
25) Naming conventions
26) Wing Creation
27) Strolen's comments
28) Answers to Strolen.. Zhan and other things.
29) Jumpers
30) Teleport questions?

Page 3
31) cp- continuations
32) Teleport/ Warp Answers
33) Zhan don't mate...
34) Meta Campaign thought...
35) Meta Campaign Questions...
36) Meta Campaign Thought
37) Example Wings
38) Example Scales
39) Wards/ Maps
40) Plotlines
It was here that Captain penguin's brain melted and the World Pack II thread was splot off
41) Some Misc Points about Kerren
42) Manfred- What to call it?
43) What to call warp.
45) Drama and a few general questions answered

page 4
47) Honor Code
48) Not Pern!
49) Religion
50) Radios and electricity
51) Food
52) Night Sky, Calender, Time  HELP!!!!!
53) Strolen's comments
54) Chocolate and Warpspace
55) Lighting
56) Agar: Electrical fields and callers
57) Lures
58) Lures=thumpers = Dune
59) Lures and Dune

Page 5
60) D'oh
61) Ryder Weapons
62) CP rejoices
63) Metal Weapons and Heirlooms
64) Other Heirlooms
65) Agar- Weapon suggestions
66) Weapon material choices
67) Building materials and tools.
68) What buildings look like..
69) Situation chart
70) Kerren Planetology/ Geology/ Oceanography
71) What Kerrnen do at the Bar
72) The Map, some musings.
74) Campaign Considerations

Page 6
75) How the gameworld needs to be presented.
77) Whine and Sigh
81) Strolen's questions
82) Money, Money, Money
83) Waystations and Draong's eating habits
84) Religion
85) Biocrete
86) Peaceful world

Page 7
90) Info on Dragons
91) Biolights and Hexopodals
93) Random Elements
94) Answers Above
95) Clerics, no clerics
96) To limb or not to limb.
97) Hawking, K10s, and Cats
98) Zhani Dragons
101) Guns! Ack. Why?
102) No Metal-Agar
103) Guns resolved
104) No Guns-Manfred

Page 8
105) Landing Day
106) Religion- Updated!!!
107) More Holiday
108) About Onterio
109) Tournaments and lots of NPC activity
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 03:22:58 PM »
I love Pern. The idea of them knowing they are from another planet depends on what point in the timeline you read the pern novel. The early books, like DragonsDawn, have them just landing so of course the know; later, as in DragonSinger or Renegades of Pern, they have forgotten all about the landing site on the southern continent and have no idea they ever lived anywhere else.

What were your ideas for other creatures that could warp? Would they be evolutionary cousins to the Saurians, like a fish that warps out of the water to catch the birds it eats, or just a parralel evolution, like a rabbit that warps to avoid predators? Are the dragons going to be naturally occuring or genetic experiments like on pern? Are the Zhan restricted to only affecting living organisms like the thread, or they eat through stone or metals? What's the origins of the Zhan?

I have so many questions because I think pern would make such a great game too. There is a PC game out for it, but I didn't like the way it looked...
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
#3 More thoughts....
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 03:32:58 AM »
I like Pern too, but if you have ever tried to game in Pern (either table top or play by email), it tends to be really hard.  Pern is a nice stable world that unless your GM has created some kind of tension or issues for your characters to specifically resolve, there is really not much to do.  That is why there are the changes in the world.

Warp is an alternate reality and Kerren has a thin dimensional wall between the two.  Warp is a fluid energy environment. There are natural flows of warp energies, dragon lines, that the dragons can ride to teleport. (One change from Pern, you have to fly around a while to find a line that takes you about to where you want to go.  You give the dragon the destination area and the dragon feels for a line that feels like it does. ) In addition, Dragons are sensitive to warp energies, allowing them to feel other people porting and to feel Zhan storms.  There ability to feel the warp energy also allows them to touch it.  There wings are filled with nerves that have nothing to do but push against warp, allowing additional lift and allowing a 400 Kg creature with a 6 meter wingspan to actually fly without reduced G.

All the warping critters are dragon related.  These creatures, in the wild, normally only warp 4 times a year, around the solstice. They migrate this way.  
Chirpers: Tiny Dragons. They occasionally sidestep to avoid preditors.  
Aquatics (no name yet): Proto-Dragons that returned to the sea. They can't warp, unless they are out of the water... so they breach like Whales and warp mid jump.
Jumpers: Middle sized dragons that are mostly ground based. Verociraptors more than dragons.  They jump and strike.  They use warp to hide and ambush.  
Gliders: Middle sized Dragons 1.5 M wings: Protodragons that glide. minimal warp ability.  

The Dragon's ability to touch warp is a random mutation. They used it to their advantage first as a navagation tool for migration, then to fly proper, then to actually warp.  Wild Dragonforms really don't warp very often.  Only domesticated dragons, with a human partner warp often.  

Note: There are other Saurians (Dinosaurs) that are not Dragons. They fill out all the other ecological nitches.  One of the reasons people live in cliff side dwellings or in walled cities is because of the other saurians.  

The Dragons are not really manipulated.  They have only gotten a bit larger and stronger (more able to carry humans) over the last 350 years.  No real selective breeding or genetic manipulation.  My back story has them being here and humans befriending them.  They are smarter than a very smart dog or horse, but less than a child.  all it takes is a human with some telepathic or empathic potential and the dragon's abilities to sense odd electrical impulses for them to learn.  

Bonding is a skill you need to work at.  The dragon can imprint on a human, sort of a bonding/ mating impulse.  The bond related effects allow you to get  better warp control, synergy between the partners, ability to share wounds, empathy, and even warp modifying breath (using the fire's power and a warp ability, to open a portal of electrical or cold or other).  (If you have every played Draken... you get the idea).  

Zhan are extradimensional critters.. Viruses of some alternate reality. I consider them some odd life form, perhaps a bioweapon gone amok.  When an electrical storm brews, it weakens the barriers between thier reality and warp and Kerren, and They cross over.  There is no schedule to this, so they are constantly patrolling and occasionally miss a few. Dragons being sensitive to warp energies, know of the zhan and have an instictive hatred of them.  Their making monsters is a big change.  It gives the Kerrens things to do that the Pernese don't.  

I can't see it effecting non organic material, only one form of bacteria on our world does, so let leave the Zhan to the living. (Of course you could kill an infected, but not mutated human or creature... and the zhan could animate it... creating a zombie... hmmmm).  

Mosquitos are the worst monsters of Kerren.  You see they feed off the Zhan monsters. they carry the infection to other things they bite, before being infected themselves (or dying).  Weeks after you killed off the Zhan monster, another one pops up in the area.  (I am thinking about making mosquitos immune to Zhan... leaves us a chance to make an antidote.)

I like them remembering that they are from somewhere else, but not having any details. I mean a metal poor world, the old metal items would of been stripped and reforged into useful smaller things.  Besides knowing you are from somewhere else allows me to have some possible meta story arcs... Star people return... or more fun.. alien star people befriend out people... but they are at war. We find out that our alien friends are actually fighting humans from Earth.  Lots of fun.  

This also allows me a mix of technologies.  They can have elements of an advanced technology, mixed with low tech adaptions.  Windmills for electrical generation (in limited places).

Others?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 04:13:04 PM »
Rather than making the mosquitos immune, you could just have something about the Zhan monsters, or the way the mosquitos sense the Zhan monsters, let the mosquitos steer clear of them, so they know not to bite that thing, and therefore don't spread the Zhan.

I am a bit confused by you warping. One the one hand, dragons have to follow the dragon lines in warp to go from one place to another, and on the other hand, the Chirpers can "sidestep" to avoid predators. Do warping creatures have to follow the dragon lines or not?

Could a third possibility be present? The dragon lines are paths of less resistance through the warp, and the dragons have exolved senses to detect the nexi (nexsuses?) where longer paths exist. So, while a chirper has an insinctual response to to warp on any path that presents itself, usually only 10 to 50 feet away, the dragons can focus at a nexus point and find a path to the next continent. This way of making paths would make them look like a fractal pattern or a tree root, with long areas of space reaching from one point to another, with smaller paths branching off.

The dragon riders have to be empathic or telepathic? How do the dragons communicate amounst themselves? Just roars and crys? Are there any other types of psionic powers on the planet, like an empathic squirrel or something?
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#5 okay... (How to Warp)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 12:40:02 AM »
Well if mosquitos avoid zhan infected creatures, then only direct contact with Zhan causes a monster.  That means it will be much, much easier to prevent Zhan monsetrs from happening.  And the Mosquito's never bite the Zhan, they bite the monsters (their bites infect other things, making them monsters too... if they survive the bite).  

To go to a specific location a dragonkind must feel around for an appropriate dragon line. Figure a dragon needs to fly about for 1d20 impulses to find a line that will take them to a new place, 1d20/2 to go to a somewhat familiar place, and 1d20/3 impulses of flying about to find a thread to goto a fairly common place. (like ley lines the lines shift a bit all the time.  If you are just "jumping" to avoid a preditor, you find the first threat and "pop" you are a few feet/ yards away in a random direction. It is a very different process.  

Dragon ryders are not telepathic or empathic per say, though they might be able to develop those talents eventually.  Ryders need to be able to put themselves in a minor altered state (akin to soft focus of a martial arts) that makes them more sensative and projective than a normal waking mind.  the Dragon, with its enhanced nervous system, is the one doing most of the transmission and reception.  The same paraelectrical abilities that give them the ability to do warp, give them the ability to pick up on human thoughts.  The first Ryder, Onterio, was probably much more telepathic or empathic than most humans, but once he taught some humand and dragons what to do, the requirement for a paranormal level of sensitivity in humans was significiantly lowered.  

Hmmm. Given the lack of metal, I guess martial arts will be a much more common form of combat.  And since bonding will need a meditative soft focus, that will translate well into the mindset of a martial artist.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 11:58:01 AM »
What if the people have been on the planet long enough that beneficent (sp?) mutations are starting to pop up in humans.  Maybe there could be Warpers, humans who have the ability to warp by themselves.  There would only be a handful of them, and would probably be used in a messenger or oracular (if they can feel approaching warp storms) capacity.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 04:30:22 PM »
Were there any other races on this planet before the humans? Perhaps an ancient Protoculture race constructed large, mysterious monoliths along the dragon lines?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Mutants ... #8
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 03:19:54 AM »
Interaction with the dragons has pushed humans to develop better telepathic and empathic talents.  Eventually Ryders will be straight telepaths.  However, they have only been on planet for 300 or some years, so not long enough to make the traits common.  

Eventually, I guess humans could mutate enough to warp. They would need the same massive nerve net as Dragons, so I am sure that mutation would not be a generally positive one.  Such a mutation, it would eliminate the need for dragons, which would completely change the "feel" of the world.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#9 Other Races
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 03:53:26 AM »
Kerren is a very young planet. It is still in its "Age of Dinosaurs". The dragons are the most intelligent native species, being as smart as smart wolves or horses.  There really has not been time for a native one to involve.

However, since my world is a science fantasy one.... aliens would be an option.  In the cannon of the world I am creating, the answer is NO. Humans, and the animals they brought with them, are the only aliens. Though, if you want to, you could have ancient alien bases (All base belong to us now.), in your campaign, but the world write up will not have any.  

Remember that the humans know they came from another planet, and have some general ideas about technology and how they got here, though they know they don't have the metal or the know how to do it.  

In the future campaign story arc sections, I am including the following.
1) The StarMen return.  We have a culture conflict between our distant relatives.  The StarMen could be from a benevolent Confederation of Planets, or a more strict military state.  (We shift from Pern to Darkover)
2) The StarMen return with friends. Not only do they arrive, a colony ship arrives, since they thought the first colony did not make it.  All the fun of above, plus the pressure of the new people with their new ways. Things should start peacefully, but tense, but will probably be open war soon enough.
3) The StarPeople arrive, and they ain't us.  Other aliens arrive and we have first contact.  This could be an interesting depending on the aliens of your choice.  It could be friendly. It could be star fighters vs dragons.  
4) The StarPeople arrive and we have friendly contact.  Friendship, trust, trade all occur.  Then we find out that they are fighting humans in other places.  
4b) When the humans arrive, they dislike the Kerren because they collaborated with the enemy.  Or we find out that the Humans are the "bad guys" in that war.  

Warp aliens:
1) Waunderers and people travel through the warp to Kerren.  
2) Dragonlike humanoids come through the warp and
2a) Establish tennitive relationships
2b) Invade
2c) Look for allies against another race.
3) Humanoid Zhan creatures come through.  They want to zhanaform the world to their needs.  

Did I miss an alien options?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
FYI
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 04:06:54 AM »
Keep those questions and ideas coming. You are helping me refine the world in my own mind (and in yours I guess).  

For those of you that don't know, or have not guessed, I have spent some time working on the company side of gaming.  Currently, I own a a small game company that has its own game system; and will release it and several sourcebooks initially, with more source books coming.  (It is tacky to plug your own stuff on a personal level... so this will be the last mention of it.)

I was playing around with the idea of Kerren being one of those initial books under the name: World of Wings (alternates being DragonWing or DragonFire).  I take it from your responses that it would be well recieved.  I will put up the Alpha Draft of WoW on this post when it comes to be closed to done.  Even if you don't know the game system, it will be easy enough for you to convert it to D20, or the system of your choice.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Other Races
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 08:42:31 AM »
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
3) The StarPeople arrive...

Sorry... I couldn't resist:
5) The StarTrekPeople arrive :wink:
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2003, 06:06:52 PM »
Couple of small details I hadn't noticed untill now:

Why did they go to the mineral poor planet? Just misled by the faulty report? Why didn't they leave when they found out there was really nothing that great about the place?

In short: What's their motavation?

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#13 Why this planet...
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 04:07:23 AM »
Well the people who did the survey did a crappy job.  

The Planet was supposed to be very habital by humans, which it is.

Planet was supposed to have minerals, but does not have easy to access ones.  

They noted that there were large animals... saurians.. but did not stay long enough to see a Dragon migration (through warp).

They did not notice that the star emitted strange energywaves.. responsible for reducing dimensional barriers and making "warp" possible.  Well, perhaps they did notice that, so decided to get out of the system quicker than they should have.  

The colony ship was a one way ticket.  When they got here, they were stuck.  It could of been worse, there could of been no habital planet here.

An aside: The ship could of crossed through a rift and arrived at a planet in an alternate reality.  The real world has resources, this one does not.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#14 Re: Other Races
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 04:11:25 AM »
Quote from: "manfred"
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
3) The StarPeople arrive...

Sorry... I couldn't resist:
5) The StarTrekPeople arrive :wink:

Actually I thought about that.  The Confederation Space background I created and we played in has a very Star Trek feel to it.  If my group was running in Kerren, they would expect their old characters to be the contact team and the Confederation being the galatic government.  To maximize my fun, I would run both campaigns simultaneously. Then when the starship comes, they would be suprised when it wasn't their characters.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#15 Interesting People of Kerren
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2003, 04:33:37 AM »
Character Archetypes

DRAGON RYDERS

Ryder: Ryders are the knights of the Dragon Wing world.  Their formidable dragon mount is imprinted to them.  They defend the world from the falling Zhan, hunt and destroy corrupted thing, and enforce the common law.  Ryders are a rough and tumble group knowing that they could meet death at any time. These “wild things” play as hard as they work. Ryders are the heroes of reality, history, and the sagas of Kerren.  
[Note Ryder is used to express role of dragon rider, rather than rider which could be anyone on a dragon.]
     L-COM  +L-ATH +BND         -.4x
     L-COM +L-ATH +ANI                      -.4x

Wing Leader: Dragon prides tend to fly in groups of seven.  This became the basis of the Wing.  A wing leader is in charge of seven Ryders.  He is their commander, their trainer, and their representative to the council and the people.  He gets them supplies, coordinates their patrols, makes sure everything is done.  It is a job of a hundred demands, few can deal with all of these responsibilities, even with these edges.  Wing leaders are the true heroes of Kerren.  
L-COM  +L-ATH +BND +INF “Ward”                     -.2x

Edge:  A Wingleader’s Lieutenant is called an Edge, as the Edge flies in position furthest from the Leader. An Edge should be a Ryder’s Ryder, tougher, stronger, and faster than the rest.  They achieve and hold this position through their reputation and performance of Ryder activities.  While traditionally, they are the Wing’s trainers, they have all the responsibilities of a wing leader, yet none of the power. Their reputation is all they have, and in many cases, all they need to get things done in the Ward and to keep the Ryders in line.   Many Ryders never aspire to be a Wing Leader, but Edges.
     COM +ATH +BND +STA “Edge or Ryder”        -0x

A Ryder can shift to any of these Archetypes if they are promoted.  An Edge or Wing Leader, can demote to Ryder if they desire.  

DRAGON SUPPORT
Wing Warden:  Wing wardens are in charge of the care and feeding of dragons. Ideally, one wing warden would cover one wing, but the world is not always ideal. In some Wards, one warden covers three wings, supported by Scales.  Dragons are touchy creatures, it takes a great deal of skill, patience, and empathy, to deal with them.  Most wing wardens are female, like most Ryders are male.  A wing is very protective of their wing warden, so any one that hurts her in any way has to answer to the entire wing.  A senior wing warden is selected to report to the Warden and Council about the Dragons.  
The Sagas seem to make wing leaders manly men, and wing wardens beautiful women, who were always a couple... much like we Americans think of the Homecoming queen/ head cheerleader and the Captain of the Varsity Football team.
     ANI “Dragon” +F-ANI “Healing” +SOC +PER +PRF “musical instrument”
                                                                                            -.1x

Scales: These are the wing warden’s assistants and apprentices.  In large Wards, one will work with each wing.  There are always a few extra scales hanging around the Ward to cover the need for extra work.  While they can care for dragons, their main assignment is to watch over the Dragon Eggs. [In some huge Wards in time past, there was a Scale Warden who watched over the hatchery.] Scales are often in charge of making sure the light moss in the Warren is moist. Many a young girl has become a scale to meet a Ryder to fall in love with, much the way many girls in America become cheerleaders to meet athletic guys.  
   ANI “Dragon” +SOC + PRF “musical instrument”     -.4x
A scale can shift to Wing Warden, if they are promoted.

OTHERS
Councilor:    Councilors are those that assist the Warden in the running of the Warren and related Clusters.  They are part of the council which advises the Warden and can veto his decisions.  Some take on the responsibility of actually administrating some aspect of the Warren or Cluster. Councilors can also determine who can and can not be part of yearly imprinting ceremony. Most councilors are High Blood, but a few are retired Wing Leaders.  
There is no single stereotype of councilor.  Some examples from the Sagas are: graying scholars full of learning, mustachioed schemers looking to further their own (and their family’s) power, Grizzled Ryder veterans, inbred idiots, stingy traders who want to account for every piece of equipment, young romantic and impractical idealists, or prideful Primes. All councilor LifeFoci should have INF and STA
     INF “Ward” +STA “Councilor” +KNW      -.3x
     INF “Ward” +STA “Councilor” +CMU      -.4x
     INF “Ward” +F-INF “Ryders” +L-COM+L-ATH+BND   -.1x
      INF “Ward” +STA “Councilor” +GUL +PER         -.2x
      L-ATH +L-COM +ANI +INF “Ward”      -.2x
     INF “Ward” +STA “Eligible Bachelor” + PRF +SOC   -.2x

Crafter:       Those that make things.  These are the workers of wood, leather, clay, metal, or other material.  They take raw materials and make the things the people of the Ward or Cluster need and use. They live in the Clusters protected by the Ryders. While not a glamorous position, no Ward or Cluster could survive long without them.  
   BUS +CFT or TEC +L-INF “Credit”      -.5x/.4x   

Healer: Healer serves their community by healing damage done to the body and the mind.  They practice art of healing on the body of the sick and injured, using herbal and chemical medicines, alignment of the body [acupressure, acupuncture, chiropractic], and some advanced surgical techniques.  In addition they help the mind as well as the body, helping people cope with grief, fear, or doubt.  They have a role akin to the Native American Medicine Man, taking the role of councilor, priest, and therapist for their communities.  They often help those who are not emotionally imbalance [traditionally hot tempered and wild Ryders]. They are a practical group.   “What ever works” is a quote often applied to a Healer.  This makes them contrary to the very traditional folk of Kerren.
   SCI +DED+ KNW +CMU          -.1x

Herder: Those who watch over a flock of Gips just outside the Cluster [or village for Outlanders].  These herders (and their herds) are important because they allows a Ward to feed Dragons without having to give them time off to hunt.  
   ANI +PER +L-COM +L-ATH         -.2x

Prime: A Highblood that is in charge of a Free Ward, an independent Cluster or set of small Cluster outside the boundaries of the Ward.  They act as the Warden for these areas and can choose to sit on the Ward Council, if they wanted to leave their holdings.  The position of Prime is passed to the next deserving candidate, usually the oldest son.  
     STA ”Prime” +INF “FreeWard” +CMU +L-ATH +L-COM      -0x

Quiet Edge: The warden’s assistant or chief advisor. This is an “unofficial position”.  The Warden’s Edge is normally doing things behind the scene and seldom is publicly acknowledged. [Some of these things are sometimes ... questionable.] The reasoning for this is that the Edge can not be bribed, threatened, or manipulated.  
   COM +ATH +BND +either STA or INF “Ward”                  -0x

RyderMate: These are the lovers and mates of Ryders [and WingWardens, and others who live and work in the Ward/ Warren] who serve no other function for the Ward [though some of the mates used to be Scales and some occasionally serve that purpose.]  They are the social glue of the Ward and the source of most social conflicts, as they tend to live the life of drama [Many of the sagas detail the “soap opera” of the RyderMates.]  While most are females, a few are males.  
There is no single stereotype of Ryder mates.  Some examples from the Sagas are: Wise and helpful women, Vain scornful harpies, Mothers of a clutch of children, Greedy social climbers, Efficient matrons, Romantic fools, and Dedicated Scales.
   CFT “Household” +STA “Ward” + either ANI, SCI, KNW, SCI         

Sage (Saga Masters):   These are individuals who have spent a great deal of time studying The Sagas and everything else they can get their hands on. They are repositories of knowledge for the people.  Normally a sage has retired from some other position [usually Crafter, Traders, or Healers], so they will either change to this archetype over time or have those abilities in their backgrounds.  
The stereotypical Sage is white haired, wrinkled old man, though women and younger men who are injured and unable to continue in their positions sometimes take on the role.  
   CFT “Household” +STA “Ward” + either ANI, SCI, KNW, SCI         

Trader: These are the merchants of Kerren.  They sell Crafter and Outlander goods in the local Wards and Clusters, and move them about by either Overland [with Outlanders] or by Dragon [hence their relationship with Wards], and sell them in other Wards and Clusters.  In a society without money, it is their ledgers that control the flow of credit.  
     BUS +INF ”Credit” +CON          -.4x

Warden: The Warden is the leader of a given Ward: The Warren and all the surrounding Clusters [and their outlander villages if any] and nearby Wilds.  They must protect any FreeWards adjacent to the Wards.  The Warden is responsible for everything and everyone within the Ward.  The Warden and the Ward Council determine how to distribute all the Ward’s resources [food, goods, fuel, protection].  The Ryders enforce the Warden’s decisions, acting as arbitrators, tax collectors, and police men.  The Warden is appointed by the Ward Council
     STA +INF “Ward” or “Credit” +CMU +L-ATH +L-COM   -0x

OUTLAND AND WILDS
Outlander:   Outlanders live in small villages rather than in a proper Cluster.  [This mean that they are exposed to the potential dangers of the Zhan. Good citizens shudder and gasp at the thought.].  Many Clusters have a few Outlander villages around them, that are considered part of the Cluster’s rule, like a Ward will have a number of Clusters under its rule.  Most Outlanders are farmers who can not find enough land near the Cluster. The others are crafters, usually carpenters.
    CFT +ATH               -.5x

Wilder: Those who make a living by hunting and tracking in, and traveling through the forest [and other wild areas] of Kerren.  They deal in deep forest goods that only those skilled in the wood [and willing to go well beyond the areas near a Cluster] can obtain.  It is a lonely profession, as their travels take them away from Clusters and people frequently avoid someone so strange as to want to go away from the safety of a Cluster.  Wilders will act as scouts for any traders who will bring goods between wards.  Wilders frequently work with a warren and its Ryders to locate and destroy Zhan that make it to ground in the wilds.
   ATH+ COM +SUR         -.2x

OutWalkers: Outwalker is a Wilder who possesses a bond to an animal other than a dragon.  They receive training in bonding from the Warren, but can not live there long as the Dragon’s might snack upon their beasts.  They work as ground based scouts and hunters for the Warren.  
   BND+ ATH +COM +SUR         -.0x

Slayer: A driven tortured soul that travel the land slaying Zhan. After losing everything [usually a family or loved one to a Zhan], a Slayer takes The Vow.  Slayers move from the Wilds to the Outlands to the Clusters and back hunting and destroying their prey.  All in an attempt to fill the emptiness in their soul.  
      COM +ATH +SUR +PER            -.0x

Some sidebars for this area....
Character Seeds

At the bottom of this column

Best Stock Character Seeds
Want some great characters for your campaign? Pick an actor or fictional character and imagine what they would be like in a given role/ Archetype. Imagine a Young William Shatner (ala ST original series) as your Wing Leader or Warden, Charlton Heston as a Councilor or Prime,  Lara Croft as your Edge or Wing Warden, Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford in Airforce One) as your Highborn opponent. Lawrence of Arabia as the leader of a rogue Cluster or Wilder group, etc.  Using known people and characters as the basis for character’s in your campaign makes it easier for players to relate to them.  It also allow you to have pictures for your NPCs (and sometimes your PC).  

Apprentice/Student

ALSO: NO DRAGONS AS PRIMARY CHARACTERS. It would be the equivalent of playing a very smart horse or a an intelligent and trained dog, or a very stupid human being.  Unless you were a wild dragon, you would be subordonate (or under the command of) to another player or NPC Ryder.  You would also be left out of most of the game interactions.  In short, while it sounds fun, it won’t be fun for very long.  

Dragon Troupe: We recommend using other players to run the supporting cast of the game, this includes dragons.  This allows the dragons to have a little personality without taking up GM effort.  Now as an NPC, it can be a kind of fun.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Fiokar_Dracolas

• Guardian
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2003, 10:42:36 AM »
Wow. Just reading this makes me want to scrap my current campaign and start a new one. Just some little details I'm curious about. Feel free to shoot down irrelvenat ones (Read novel-ish details).

What are the codes/equations (sp?) at the bottom of each charater type?
How viable are some of the types as PCs?
What about fishermen?
How are people educated?
What do zhan monsters look like?
What is a gip?
What is a highblood?
If you're mapping the world, how much of it is water?

A thought. Could there be an alien race living underwater or underground?
Anything is possible. Anything at all. However, probability is another matter....

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
The world of Kerren
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2003, 01:37:52 PM »
I wanna play this now...
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#18 I know, so do I and a few questions.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2003, 04:17:24 AM »
I keep coming back to this project and going... Damm It really needs to be done.  If you all keep working with me, I will finish it and post it up for those who helped to take an alpha copy. (You can use D20 or any system or my system or.. I will make that available too).

What are the codes/equations (sp?) at the bottom of each charater type?
    Those are part of Convergence Point game mechanics.  They are the LifeFoci, the areas of expression that that Archetype concentrates on.  Generic Ryders concentrate on specific weapons, rather than combat in general (L-COM), toughness rather than overall athletic prowess (L-Ath), and either have a psi bond with their partner (BND) or skill with riding and caring for the Dragon (ANI).  A PC Ryder (Or special NPC) could have different AoEs. Just like someone with the title of policeman could have several different emphasis (swat, detective, vice, public relations), Ryders could be different.  

How viable are some of the types as PCs?
     If you want to play it, you can play anything you want.  It all depends on the campaign and the GM.  I mean you could be an Outlander if you want, but if the GM is running a High Warden campaign you will be very, very left out.  

What about fishermen?
    Had not thought of those.  They will be added.  Since the Oceans have BIG Dinosaurs, sailing would be a dangerous occupation.  Even close to shore sailing and fishing could be quite dangerous.  Barely worth the risk.  

Note: The world is filled with good sized dinosaurs. Humans like living in walled cities and towns for protection from them and the Zhan monsters.

How are people educated?
     The society is quite cooperative. That comes from its colonial coop roots. Children are sent to someone who will teach them. Usually the local Doctor, but anyone designated by the community will do (See Sage Archetype).  They are taught the basics and then they learn the Sagas. After a child gets old enough, they are apprenticed to either their family or someone else.  (Unless they have Ryder potential, then they are brought to the Warren).

Sagas are stories that are used to a) tell history b) impart wisdom or skills, c) entertain people. Some only do a or b or c, some do all of the above.  It is an oral tradition that has written backup.  There are books of sagas.  They evolved as people started telling stories of the early colony days around the metaphorical campfire. Given some serious population shifts, they became more formalized and the primary transmitter of knowledge.    

What do zhan monsters look like?
    Take a normal animal, then get creative.  They are normally a Greenish Grey color, with the horns, fangs, mishappen growths, of your choice.  There is a chart being developed. Take a normal animal and add 1-5 Zhan features (claws, horns, poison talons, dangerous tails, electrospines, etc).  
There will also be "sets" of frequent seen combinations of traits, so you can just grab a set and go.  There is no monster manual to memorize, so the characters (and players) never know quite what they will be upagainst.  
   There will be seperate, but related,  chart for plants, animals, humans, and dragons.  Human and Dragon Zhan Monsters are rare, but dangerous. Human Zhans don't always look monsterous at first glance...

What is a gip?
A Gip is a one meterlong, six limbed, broad backed saurian that holds the same place in the Kerren Ecology as the Pig. Note Pig, not Boar. It is the number of domesticated farm animal on Kerren, producing food and leather.  It is a herbavore with a Goatlike ability to eat everything.  In a world of huge, fast carinvores (some of which can fly), the Gip opted to defend itself by having a very thick hide on its back (not yet a shell) and the ability to outbreed any species on the planet.  If it was not for all the carnivores, they would overbreed and eat all available plant matter.  

What is a highblood?
Those of prestigious families that came from a warden or a famous Ryder ancestor. They live in and are supported by the Warren even if they are not currently Ryders.  They are our nobles.  

If you're mapping the world, how much of it is water?
Hydrographic percentage of 65% One sea between the three or so major continients.  This world's pangea just broke up, so the continents are near each other ... sepeated by good sized seas.  (It also has lots of high mountains and earthquakes).  Dragons are the prefered method of travel between the continents.  There are people and Wards on all three.  

A thought. Could there be an alien race living underwater or underground?  There could be, but see Fisherman and the large aquatic dinosaur issue.  In the Cannon of the world, no, but as an option.. Underwater would be the only place.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#19 Character Seeds
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2003, 05:45:27 AM »
Character seeds are nuggets or ideas for characters that fit the genre. Players and GMs would use them to inspire characters and NPCs. They, as examples, are a good tool to generate the right kind of feel for the setting. (DIfferent example character seeds would produce a different feel.)  In this case, I am creating ones that would fit an Anime feel.  

Young Potential: “The kid is a bit green, but he has incredible potential.”

The “Average guy”:  Nobody expects you to do great things, but nobody expects you to screw up either.  

Shy Young Thing: Usually pretty too. She is the girl that many people want to notice them.  

Wing Bully: He is rough, tough, and is not going to cut anyone any slack, be them Ryders or children.  

Challenger: This ryder is the one that can not back down from a challenge. He is constantly getting into races and fights.  

Grunt: He is a big lunk that is larger than normal, but traditionally is a fairly nice, fun guy.  

Charmer: The character has natural charisma that they use to get their own way.

The Gulliver: This is the gloomy guy. The one that is always predicting the worst results.  There is always one pessimist in any crowd.  The name comes from the Sagas of the colonists who was constantly foreseeing doom and gloom .

The Scooby: Not the bravest of people, he will follow his friend into danger. However he will whine and try to avoid it at all times.  

The New Guy: You are not Warren born, you were of a crafter or farmer family.  This is all new and strange to you.

Wise old Councillor: This is a man of wisdom that anyone who is smart will listen to.  

The Marshall: The ryder that spends more of their time making sure justice is done and laws enforced, than hunting Zhan.  

Young, inexperience Warden: His father died, and the council gave him the position.  They believe he will grow into it.  He is not so sure.  

The Girl you can’t have: This girl is beautiful, but being courted by someone who is “better” than you.  This is not a player character seed.

The Flyer: This Ryder lives for two things, speed and flying.  They do everything fast and flashy.  

Son of the “Big Man”: The character is the heir of an important person in the Ward. Always having to meet the standards of their parents and public opinion.

Hard Ryder: The Ryder who never shows his feelings or lets on to pain or weakness.  

The Lost Scale: She is pining away for someone either does not love her or does not know she loves them.  

WildOne: This is what they populace think of when they think of Ryders. Wild, party animals, who live for today because tommorow they may die.  The main reason most people think Ryders are this way, is that the wild one goes into the cluster, drinks, eats, diddles about, and makes a big stir that people remember.  

The Harpy:  The rydermate that is constantly gossiping and tries to be the “leader” of the other people in the Warren.  

The Hardened Scale: This woman is all business. She has a soft side, but nobody ever sees it. She is waiting for the right Ryder to notice her and can't be bother with the rest of you.  And she is not that nice to her choosen Ryder either, until he extends a romantic interest.  

Old Doctor: This aged physician gives homespun advice as well as good medical care.  

The Best of the Best: This character is the best the wing, perhaps even the Ward has to offer.  They have the skills that make them the thing of Sagas.  However, in a campaign series, they normally die early on to let the younger heroes have a chance to shine.  This kind of character is set up with several experience secondaries and the 3 trait Karma- Destined to die.

So what kind of archetypal characters do you think should be here?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
Zhan mutations
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 05:45:28 PM »
This could quickly evolve into another post, but what ideas did you have to zhan mutations? What would be some sort of reasonable limit in how much power a zhan mutation could have? I have a couple ideas, some borrowed from the 'warp taint' in dragonstorm, let me know how tame or outrageous these ideas are.

Spine shooter: The creature develops a large tough spine and can fire them out at a range of 20 meters. (I put this on a plant once, but included a seed in the spine as well. The saplings grew out of the corpses of the slain passers by.)

Displacment: The creature has a heightned warp ability from its zhan (host? parent?) and can sense the warp paths in the immediate area with amazing accuracy and control. The creature can warp to near any location it likes with in a range of 10 meters.

Warp bound: The creature phases in and out of warp regularly but cannot controll when it phases. It cannot travel by warp, it simply ceases to be in the real world for a moment. The amount of time it spends in warp is directly tied to it's vitality, so the more damage it takes the more time it spends in warp. This makes it difficult to kill and impossible to prove it's death.

Hungry touch: The creature has the zhan's ability to eat any organic substance, but can only do so through physical contact. Its former digestive system has atrophied and has been replaced by the zhan form digestion. Any food ingested in it's former manner will be regurgitated in a short while. Needless to say, any organic substance it was wearing, clothes, saddle, collor, will have disintegrated.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#21 Zhan abilities are only limited by the GM
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2003, 03:40:42 AM »
Yep, thats right. Zhan give you the ability to create the monster of your nightmares.

Zhan as a general rule, are dangerous in combat and have an infectious bite, sting, or venom, to convert other things.  Those things should take on the same abilities as the parent monster, but mutations happen.  Their appearance should be a regular animal with a geiger or lovecraftian look to them.  (So I guess the description added to text of their descriptions should be ... And it was indescribably horrible).

(Technically Zhan don't eat organic matter, the infect it and mutate it... creating very hungry monsters (starve a cold, feed a fever...) The monsters eat and eat to support their mutating metabolism.  so of course, they attack and attack in such an attempt.)

The listing I am working on is 28 common Zhan abilities. (I'm at work and don't have access to it.)  It is a 1d20 chart with a few of those results requiring a second roll to expand. You select the base animal (remember that most of them are small dinosaur sized) and roll 1-5 times, adding those abilities to it.  However, your milage could very and you could just choose what abilities you want. You could go beyond the list.  You could add any animal ability or build a zhan ability using the meta power rules in Convergence Point, or use any set of abilities/ feats/ or what ever your game system supports to build these things.  

(I like the spines.. going to add that one, so we are at 29.)

There will be a chart for animals, plants, humans, and Dragons.  (Human and Dragon Zhan being very, very rare... which means they will of course populate a campaign saga.  )

One of the Sagas mentioned will be the Kerren equivalent of Dracula.  "Dracula" will be a human Highborn, a Prime, who was infected by a Zhan somehow (A mosquito... but we go on).  Human Zhan can appear quite normal and "Dracula" did (the human chart has a camoflage option for near human appearance, a transformation option (normal one moment monster the next) and many of the mutations are subtle).  We will have him infect nearly the entire free cluster, terrorizing them. Escaping multiple ryder attempts to slay him, he will eventually infiltrate a warren.  
The Saga will include his love affair with a Head Scale or Warden Wife and the Ryders who will band together to destroy him....

Most human Zhan will probably be either werewolfesk or something from the Outer Limits (They really liked freaky humanoid monsters).
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#22 A couple of things....
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 01:50:40 AM »
Just a quick "poll" on what you think you would need to run a game set in Kerren, besides a player or GM.   I have listed the archetypes/ roles/ classes (adding Sea Ryder (sailor)), and an overview of the world.  What do you think we need to run this game.  

I am currently working on entries of the "Encyclopedia Kerren".  Not only will it explain the occasional odd word used in this work, but it will include small encyclopedia entries on things like Sagas, Credit, Marriage, Bonding, etc.  If youhave any ideas on that I will gladly encorperate them.  

Lastly.  World of Wings is what I have been calling this project.  I think this name sucks, but I could be wrong.  I was thinking about changing the name to Dragon Wings, Ryders of Kerren, DragonFire, or Dragon Ryders. Anyone have a preference for the above or their own idea?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#23 Work Progresses....
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2003, 02:34:36 AM »
I really should not be working on this project. I should be doing so many other things.  Yet, you have all inspired me.  Since my gaming group has decided against Kerren time and time again, I will probably be running this on www.rpol.net like my Buffy Game.  

Other questions? Reponses to the previous post?

In response to a private post....
Ecology of Kerren: The ecology of Kerren is in a Saurian Phase, with megafauna (big animals) dominating.  Saurians are smooth skinned, partially warm blooded (they are endo thermic, but need help in regulating temp), reptilike animals. In northern or colder climes, they have proto feathers to create a bizzare fuzzy coat to keep them warm.  They come in hundreds of different sizes and types.  Insectoids and fish are also present.  The insects are about 500% bigger than their terrestial counterparts.  Fish, like Saurians, come in hundreds of different sizes and types.  The only mammals and birds on this world come from Terra.  The terrestrial animals that came with the Humans have found some nitches. Most of these animals are pet animals: Dogs, Cats, and Raptors. A few of these animals have escaped into the wild, but they really have not made a notable impact upon the environment.  The cattle and goats all died off early of either preditors and then disease. The Rats never survived out in the wilds because the native rat like dinosarus. The terran insects have not been able to compete with their larger Kerran cousins. The saurians still rule the ecology.  

In short, take a terrestrial environment, instead of mammals, birds, and such, make them Saurians and about 50% bigger than their terran counterparts.  Sprinkle in a few odd creatures, like a megafauna (big dinosaur) and a dragonlike critter (Leapers, Swimmers, etc)
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#24 Progress is slowly being made.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2003, 03:53:05 AM »
Requests for posts: What would you need, if you were a GM, to run Kerren as a campaign.  

Speaking of a campaign, World of Wings is what I have been calling this project. I think this name sucks, but I could be wrong. I was thinking about changing the name to Dragon Wings, Ryders of Kerren, DragonFire, or Dragon Ryders. Anyone have a preference for the above or their own idea?

Here is the encyclopedia Kerren entries for the last few days.  Again, have an idea or a question, I will gladly incorporate them.  

Grounder: A warren word for those who live on the ground, i.e. not in a warren and ride dragons.  Not a complimentry term for Cluster folk and Village Folk.

Cluster Folk: Those that live in a cluster, rather than a village or warren.

Crew: a) Kerren societies word for Team or Group.  A crew of Ryders is call a wing.  b) A given person’s group of friends they can count on.  

Tournaments: Kerren sporting events revolving around Ryders and Dragons.  Most events are races of speed, or agility, or endurance. There is the Ribbon Drop, how many times can a partner tag a simulated zhan before it hits ground. There are frequently paraglider events.  Ground events include mock duels (bare handed or knives), archery and crossbow events, and Football games.  Tournaments are normally within a single ward’s wing and clusters, but sometimes two or more wards compete. (Remember since a wing can travel to anywhere in the world in an hour or so, you can have a tournament anywhere.  The winners technically get nothing more than bragging rights, but Wardens have been known to give winners special goods or compensation.

Captain: A leader you truly respect (or are totally making fun of).  

Football: Or what Americans know as Soccer. A common game on Kerren. It is played with 7 people crews on a 50 meter field.  Only the goalie can use their hands.  Dragons, despite their interest in the ball, are forbidden from playing due to an edict nearly 300 years old.

Pennant: Each wing will have a pennant made up of their wing colors and emblem. It is normally a meter or two in length, about half as wide. This is brought out on formal occasions, tournaments, and when a given member of a wing is brought before the high council.  It is considered a crime for members of one wing to mess with another wing’s pennant.  Notes: Some Wards have their own pennants with their single ward color and their emblem if any.  

Scarves: Many Ryders wear scarves with their wing’s colors and emblems.  While this is always done in a tournament, some have taken to wearing them everyday.  

Wing Colors: Each wing has a two (or more) colors that are theirs.  One of those colors is always the traditional color of their ward.  Most wings will have an emblem, based on a dragon, other animal, or a weapon, in addition to their colors. A few wards have their own distinct emblems. Wings in those wards incorporate that emblem into their wing’s emblem.  These bits of heraldry allow people to identify Ryders at a distance.  

Windmills: The most popular source of Power on Kerren. There is almost always a wind in the valleys and mountains of the Wards They run pumps and mills. They run tools in shops (like water wheels did in the early industrial revolution).  They run elevators. And in a few places, they are still running generators.  

Paragliders: Advanced Parachutes that allow for more controlled flights.  Requires an Athletic trait or Vehicle trait to control properly.  

HangGliders: Rigid wing personal flying devices.  A favorite past time for Warrenfolk without Dragons and very adventurous Cluster folk.  Requires an athletic or vehicle trait to use.

Parachute: Something every beginning Ryder must wear and many older Ryders do, especially if they are only imprinted and not bonded.  To work well, requires an athletic or vehicle trait.

Radios: Each ward has one radio that allows communication with other nearby wards and some can reach the First Ward.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
#25 I am tinkering....
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2003, 06:56:15 AM »
Naming convention:  A person is defined by "Name" of "Ward", you can add "of XXX Wing", or "XXX's Son", or "of insert craft", or "of 'insert hero's name" blood.  The "of XXX Blood" is normally reserved for Highbloods or pretentious warren folk.  

The people colonizing Kerren came from The Northern District (Canada and Northern US states).  The first generation colonists occasionally named their children after the cities/ regions/ archologies they had lived in before coming to Kerren.  Then Onterio, the first Ryder, became an important person.  People kept naming their children after him and taking his name as a lead, after the cities of the Northern District.  A few normal names still survived, and several taken from life on Kerren.  

Common Male names: Onterio, Quebec, Toronto, Drake, Seattle, Wing, Ryda, Edmonton,  Wolf, Steward, Pierre, Detroit, Storm, Zepher, "Bug" (from the great scientist of the first colony), Dakota, Franklin, Crash, Rock.

Common Female Names: Kerren, Tera, Winapeg, Victoria, Tacoma, Tapanga, Cat/ Catryn, Amy, Cheyanne, River, Bay, Dakota, Pennant, Shale.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©