llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: When Kingdoms Fall  (Read 26547 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline T-Bone

• If there was such thing as an iklsporfin, I would be one of them.
  • Grand Master
  • Im one of those guys you wouldn't call a suck-bot.
    • Awards
Re: When Kingdoms Fall
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 12:26:29 AM »
"Let us be off now." he replied more to Nameless than anyone.

When they finally got to Paresies' house,they started packing right away. He gave Nameless a sword and some armor and he got suited up in his Syllestian Knight armor.

He then got a big bag of food and water and other supplies they might need on the trip.

After a long while of getting supplies they were finally all set.

"Let us be off." Paresies proclaimed. Luckily Paresies had three horses so they hopped on those and they were off.

After a few hours of riding Paresies heard something moving around in the darkness. They were pretty far from the towns, and no one in their right mind would be out this late, so he said to both of his new found friends "Do you hear that?"
"Now that I am older, the only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain." -Artemis Entreri

"New things are like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting but then it becomes a part of you."- Garth Algar (played by Dana Carvey)

Offline Catalyst

• Meticulous Orchestrator
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 12:52:20 AM »
As the leader of the Red Backs, Liston considered such honors as tracking traitors among his lesser responsibilities. That was not to say that he didn't take it seriously.

Since his birth, he had been groomed to become the leader of the elite group. His father, a Red Back before his death, had gone to great pains to put his son in contact with the right people and circumstances.

Liston had hand picked the group that now accompanied him. He chose them not for their great prowess and experience, but because they were the less experienced and in need of real time training.

Always in a state of readiness, the group rode into the wind, in search of Paresies. Their red capes fluttering.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:55:39 AM by Catalyst »
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 03:08:34 PM »
"Dawdle do you still?" The Vulture asked, a scowl on his face. "The future of our kingdoms walks the edge of a knife. Go...GO NOW!" He shouts, seeing the flutter of the red capes he knows and is none to fond of. The Old man moved in a quick limp away from the cluster of men to face the advancing squad of Red Backs.

He flashed a dagger from his belt and gashed himself across the arm. He slung blood across the road in front of him, a splattered semblance of a line in the dust and gravelstone. "Turn back, proud captain of the Red Backs, your death is not yet timely. Cross this line of blood and you will know what it is to die a most painful and disgraceful death..."

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:51 AM »
Approaching the main road to Lomar, Liston saw a decrepit old man in the road. He shook his head in disgust at the filthy superstitious display of throwing a line of blood.

Sneering at the man, he rode past.

"Ignorant peasant," he whispered to no one in particular as he trampled the blood line and continued on his way.

He thought to slay the man, but why sully his blade?

Better to leave the less fortunate to their own devices.

The group continued after Paresies, not giving the old man a second thought. Distance and the task at hand soon mentally ascended to precedence.
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 02:01:24 AM »
OOC:

It's my understanding that the Roman is with Paresies, down the road, on a horse.

Right? :dunno:

Offline Chuckanator

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 03:27:27 AM »
   Henrey turned to his left. He heard something in the woods, Henrey drew his saber and pointed in the direction of the sound. Suddenly, three arrows came out of the woods and flew right pass Henrey's head, almost hitting it. He then turned back to Paresies and said "They've found me, again, best not to let their arrows come in your range. Don't wait up for me, I'll find my way." He then turned back towards the woods and took off out of sight. And in the distance, Henrey cried out, "Let the blood of the wicked flow!"

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 04:17:00 AM »
Paresies knew that the Paladin knew what he was doing, so he rode off with Nameless farther down the dirt road.

They didn't ride for to long when Paresies decided that they shoud stop and make camp, rest, and wait for the Paladin to catch up. He grabbed some blankets and food out of one of his sacks that he had tied to his horse's saddle.

He gave Nameless a blanket and a loaf of bread, then he took off his helmet and laid down to gaze at the stars.

As he sat there he thought  about many things, some bad and some good, like was the man that gave hiim the map really telling the truth, or was the Paladin ever going to catch up with them, would he even survive his little battle!? Some of the good things he thought about was what glories would awiat him when this was all done, But the thing that he wondered about the most was why was this nameless man next to him, so willing to follow him?

He thought about asking the man but he appeared to be asleep so he decided that now was not the time to bring up such a personal question, so he rolled over in his clanking armor and tried to get some sleep.
"Now that I am older, the only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain." -Artemis Entreri

"New things are like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting but then it becomes a part of you."- Garth Algar (played by Dana Carvey)

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »
Nameless looked askance at the sword and armor.  Useless.  Getting up Nameless went about the clearing scribing runes on soft earth with a twisted horn from an animal.  The horn was special.  The moist smell of the disturbed eath was pleasant and the work was accompanied by the soft snores of Paresies.  It took nearly thirty minutes but after the wards were set Nameless breathed a sigh of relief.  Any who crossed the runes with ill intent would be in for a wicked surprise.

They were too close.  We should have continued travelling.  What will be will be.  Nameless sat, back against a tree, and became still...
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »
Paresies woke up after awhile and he could sense that something was not right. He got up to look around but he couldn't see anything, he knew something was wrong though so he woke Nameless up and picked up the supplies and then got on the horses and road off quickly. "I think we're being followed," Paresies said to Nameless. "so keep on your guard."

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006, 04:57:43 PM »
Nameless did not sleep, never had, but gave Paresis the display of acting as if being roused from a deep slumber.  They passed through the wards with nary a ripple.  If Paresies had felt the pinprick ripples of energy running over his body he spoke not of it.  The two gained the road and broke their horses into a canter.  Nameless knew with small satisfaction that if they were persued through normal means, those following them would go right through the clearing they had stayed in.  Right through the...

The cerulean glow lit up the sky over the trees.  It caught both of their attention, it was followed by the terrible cries of dying men.  Even at the distance they had travelled Paresies and Nameless could hear sizzling and popping and smell the char of burning flesh in the cool pre-dawn air.

Dice rolled in Nameless' head, "My liege.  We must fly."  The muscles of the chestnut mare Nameless rode bunched and stretched as the horse accelerated to a full gallop...
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2006, 08:36:35 PM »
The Red Backs pulled up to camp for the night. No need for a fire, they sustained themselves on dried meats and fruits.

Liston put his head down on his bed roll. He listened to the frogs and pondered the upcoming war.

Nearly asleep, he bolted up to a fighting stance, hand on the hilt of his sword. A bright explosion had everyone up.

Mounting his horse, he barreled his way to the sight of the explosion, only to be greeted by a mass of twisted bodies. He trod on bits of gore and flesh as he evaluated the scene.

"What do you make of it, Captain?" a young Red Back asked.

"Highway men." He said moving to the runes.

He pointed with his index finger at the drawings. "Seems meant for any with ill intent."

"Over hear," he said pointing again. He traced the pattern of a boot, in the air, with his finger.

"Syllestian Knight and at least one companion." He paused, "Seems the traitor has powerful allies. No doubt he has betrayed us many times through out the years."

Liston rubbed his chin. "They left in a hurry, but we'll catch up to them soon."

Offline Chuckanator

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 02:37:27 PM »
   Now stuck in the dark woods and nearly no light, Henrey the Paladin, continued his chase of his foe. He was running through the woods after him for about thirty minutes, when he came to the place he only heard of in stories. He came to the place that was said to have disappeared back to "The Dark Realm." He was on the shores of the lost Blood Cove. Where the waters and the sky glow red as blood for miles. Henrey was told that the waters from Egypt came here after Moses turn it into blood. At the sight of this, He then made The Sign of the Cross, preying "God, protect me."

And then out of nowhere, something hit him from behind with great force, knocking him into the sea of blood with a loud SPLASH!!!!! Henrey sat in it for a few second, until he could taste the blood going his throat. Henrey then jumped up and came running back onto the shore, screaming at the top of his lungs. When he came to his scenes, he the looked up, and he could see a tall figure standing in front of him. It was a knight, a knight dressed in dark armor. "Henrey," the knight said, holding his long black sword, "Henrey I've called you hear." Henrey replied back looking surprised, "You did? Why? Who are you? Wait, I know you, your..."

"I'm Jack of the Dark Templar," said the knight and your hear TO JOIN THE OTHERS!" He then swung his sword at Henrey, shattering his helmet. Henrey jumped back, drawing his saber and said "I know you, I was there the day you and your knights killed the pilgrims and but why am I here? This place can't be real." Jack then charged at Henrey, clashing his sword with Henrey. "Legends of The Dark Templar say Blood Cove is the resting place of the condemned souls and you are one of them!" Henrey then pushed Jack back towards the sea and said back, "Their WRONG! there is no resting for condemned souls, only suffering, I'm not the condemned one, you and your blasphemous templar are!" Henrey then slashed Jack across the chest with his saber and impaled him through his heart. Jack only jolted for a second and slid off the blade and landed in the sea, out of sight.

Suddenly, a strange blast of sound knocked Henrey down, but he immediately got back up and saw the strangest thing. What was once a dreaded sight, Blood cove had melted away, showing a ocean, stretching for miles with the sun rising in the distance. like a painting melting away, uncovering another one under it. "Thanks to you Lord, Jesus Christ," Henrey preyed as he turned back to were he first came.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:11:33 AM by Chuckanator »

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 02:36:33 AM »
Paresies and Nameless had been riding for miles and the horses were getting tired so Paresies looked at the map to see if they were getting close to Lomar.

"We are on the borders of Crockendale," Paresies said, "so we should be at Lomar at any time."

They kept riding for awhile until they came to a gaint gate with two guards standing there.

"Who goes there." one of the guards said.

Knowing they wouldn't let him through the gates on some business that came upon him in an alley Paresies said, "A messanger from Syllestia."

"You want the King don't you." the guard said.

Pareseis nodded.

'Very well." the guard said as he opened the gate. The guard paused then said "Your sword."

"Oh yes, of couse." Paresies said rather embarresed. "Come on father." Paresies said to Nameless  with a wink.

The guards then let the two travelers walk through the gates.

They finally got to the castle, and after getting past several guards, they were let into the King's throne room.

Not knowing what to say Presies finally said (after getting the King's attention)"Your majety, have you ever seen this map before?" He then held up the map.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:51:23 PM by T-Bone »

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2006, 02:58:37 AM »
OOC:  T-Bone Nameless left the sword and armor at the clearing.  So Paresies can't take the sword.  Also to everyone.  Check your grammar.

IC:  The King stroked a beard shot through with gray as he peered at the map.  "I've seen similar maps, but I'd like to know why you have come here.  Why have you sought my audience?  By all counts you are a traitor to the Crown and to your standing as knight!" The Kings voice rose as his face became livid with anger.  "Guards seize them."  Twenty men at arms burly seasoned fighters stepped forward and grabbed the two travellers.  In seconds they were bound with strong ropes.

"To the dungeons with them."  The king spat.  "Tommorow they will hang!"

As they were led from the room, Nameless dared whisper to Paresies, "I'm assuming this is part of your plan to see Jack..."  Nameless recieved a cuff to the side of the head for that question.  The guards marched down rock hewn stairs into the depths of the castle and shoved the two into a cell.  The darkness descended as the guards took the torch with them and as they retreated the sounds of dripping water and scurrying clawed feet were prominent.

As their eyes became used to the darkness they could make out the pale shape of a face in the cell across the hallway.  The other prisoner looked at them, eyes large and questioning.

Time passed as if the man was building up courage, then he ventured, voice tentative and cracking from lack of use, "Did Jack send you?"...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:18:31 PM by POG »

The Ares Chronicles

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2006, 09:47:28 AM »
"So they've got Smoltz locked up in there?" Jack asked, looking across the roof of the building. Lomar was certainly low, there were only a handful of buildings that were more than a single story tall, and with the King's Tower in the center of town it was easy for archers to pick thieves off of the roof...or at least thieves they could see. With his Nightshroud mantle drawn around his shoulders, Jack was a puddle of darkness at midnight, unseen until you stepped in it. The guard on the gaol was not to heavy, not too many troublemakers in a sleepy burg like Lomar, and those that were a problem got shipped off to the iron mines, or the marble quarrey.

"Our man on the inside, Centurion, signaled two others, one looks like a Syllestian, the other a mage." Jack's second, Piers said.

"A meddling mage and a Syllestian, that is certainly entertaining. Is it clear to go?" Jack asked. Piers fluttered the iron panel over their lantern, signaling Centurion. Inside his office in the Gaol, Centurion saw the signal and returned on of his own with his own lantern.

"It's clear for now. We should move quickly if at all." Piers said. The two descended quickly, already decked out in the garb of Lomarian city guard. Neither was confronted as they entered the gaol. Piers throat was dry with fear, going so boldly into the gaol. But Jack, Jack was confident, even shouting at one of the guards on duty to not be so shoddy in his work. Centurion saluted as he walked out of the Gaol, his time of watch ending and his night watch companion being predicatably late. Gretalia would keep him occupied for at least another hour. It was always good to have a scapegoat lined up for things like this. He liked Centurion and wanted to make sure his man on the inside remained a authority at the gaol, and not an occupant.

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »
OOC: Sorry POG, I must've missed it. I'll change it though.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
Liston, in his arrogance, had allowed the prey to slip out of his acceptable boundaries.

No matter, he thought to himself, he could wait. He had means of his own to reach into Lomar and "touch" someone so to speak.

"Vinton," he called out, summoning one of the less senior of the group.

"I have a message for you to deliver."

Offline Chuckanator

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »
Henrey continued his way back to find Paresies and the others, but when finding they were not were he left they, he continued on down a path he thinks was the right way. After coming to dead end. he then stopped to rest. Sweat poured for his forehead. He began to breath deeply. Henrey then decided to remove his heavy, tattered armor and continue his search for his team. He removed his chest plate and then his chain armor. All that he had left was his worn out cloths and bare feet. Henrey then collected his armor pieces and covered them up with leaves and sticks in the bushes where they would remain there, lost and forgotten. Henrey then picked up his saber and looked at it. He then said, "I can't leave you, your my only mortal protection now." He then picked up the sheath, tied it around him, and with his sword in hand, he sighed and continued back up the path where he was last at and took a different path.

To Henrey, He was walking forever, but after four hours he came to the clearing where Nameless left his sword and armor behind. Henrey gazed at the sword with a weak look in his eyes and said, "I must rest, for If I do not, I feel like I will die. God, please help me, deliver me form this heavy burden. Help me find them." Henrey then dropped his saber, fell to his knees and then fell to the ground, land on his face as his eyes slowly closed.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 01:15:45 AM »
He chose speed in the stead of protecting himself from the whipping and sting of the brush.

Liston had explained to him the need for urgency. Armor had been left behind, which was not to say he went entirely unprotected.

As he approached Lomar, Vinton changed his approach to a stealthier one. Nimbly making it over Lomar's wall undetected. He continued until he came to Wagon Wheel.

Wagon Wheel was, in the distant past, the center of society for Lomar. A place to take a family for a meal or meet a friend for a drink. More recently it is was avoided by most, including the watch,  being populated by criminals, derelicts, and other undesirables.

The centerpiece of the circular "square" was a battered fountain. A statue of a man, once proud, now neglected.

Vinton slipped into The Crystal Dragon, a seedy place, mostly vacant this early in the day.

He stepped up to the bar. "Honey mead, extra bloody."

The bartender, recognizing the phrase, immediately looked over both shoulders. Gazing directly at Vinton, he opened his hand and let the glass, he was holding, fall to the floor.

The sound of shattering glass signified acknowledgement to meet at the secondary rendezvous.

To Vinton, it also signified that the mission would soon be completed.

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 01:43:13 AM »
Paresies was very confused and angry, why had the King sent Nameless and him off to the dungeon so soon, Syllestia and Lomar were allies, but not this time, he thought. 

And who was this Jack fellow everybody seemed to know exept him. Was he a criminal, or a good person in a bad Kingdom.

He decided to answer the prisoner with, "Who is this Jack?"

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 02:01:10 AM »
Silently making his way back into camp, Vinton approached Liston's back.

Without turning, Liston asked, "Is it done?"

"It is. Even now events are transpiring that will lead to the completion of the mision."

Liston smiled. "Good. Then we wait."

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2006, 09:13:32 AM »
"I'm this Jack." A guard said, his companion looking surprised. "And I have special interest in those that the watch take into custody. So you're not drunks, and don't look like thieves, what was their beef with you?" Jack said, taking a key ring and opening the cell of the man who had previously asked of him.

"C'mon Smoltz, Your wife is angry enough at me for letting you get caught. The back exit is unguarded. Get caught again and I'll box your ears."

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »
"My name is Paresies, and I am a knight of Syllestia, and this is who I call Nameless because his real name is unknown to me." Paresies said. "Now can you get us out of this foul smelling dungeon?"

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 01:29:17 PM by T-Bone »

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 02:28:44 PM »
A dark cloaked figure worked his craft under the cover of darkness. Usually, this would be a bit bold for his tastes, but this was an exception, brought about by an extensive payment and potential political gains.

Outside of the castle walls would not be safe for long, but he had timed it perfectly. Making his way out of the perimeter, he had barely reached a safe distance.

A bang and a flash sent material blowing in every direction, the packing material he had used when preparing the device.

Not enough to cause structural damage, he had used enough powder to kill anyone inside the dungeon, whether it be by the explosion itself or the concussion.

Paresies has now been eliminated, he thought to himself contentedly.

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »
The dice rolled in Nameless head.  The web spread out confusing in it's complexity.  The myriad strands were confusing.  Nameless knew the time for action was at hand.  Leaping forward Nameless jumped upon Paresies with a gasp, "My Leige!"  Only one could be saved this way, Nameless hoped Jack and his would survive...

Paresies was knocked to the ground by Nameless who was both harder and softer than looks would indicate.  He was about to open his mouth in protest when the chamber was consumed by a defening roar and white hot fire.  Paresies screamed as his vision and senses were rent from him.  There was a sudden sensation of weightlessness, then suddenly he was falling flailing about with his limbs in vain.  He lost consciousness.

Paresies was awoken by the sudden impact to the ground his garments and hair smoking.  Eyes filled with flashing vestiges of the brilliant light of the explosion and whatever it was that Nameless had done.  He was sprawled on the ground in a clearing that looked familiar.  His eyes lit on the sword and armor that he had given to Nameless the day before.  There was also a figure laying on the ground, eyes closed, saber discarded next to him.  Of Nameless there was no sign...

The Ares Chronicles