llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: When Kingdoms Fall  (Read 24360 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline T-Bone

• If there was such thing as an iklsporfin, I would be one of them.
  • Grand Master
  • Im one of those guys you wouldn't call a suck-bot.
    • Awards
When Kingdoms Fall
« on: July 01, 2006, 04:23:51 AM »
Paresies walked out of the tavern, exhausted from hours of dancing and celebrating. He and his budies had decided to party because they would be going away soon.

"What a night!" Paresies said with some slur added to his voice. He had had a long night and was looking foward to going to bed.

"Hey Paresies!" Weljin said catching up to him. "Why you leaving so soon?"

"I've got alot on my mind. All this news about war is kind of shocking." Paresies replied.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder why I decided to be a knight for Syllestia."

"Yeah, King Yorshin shouldn't make us go to war just cause of an aurguement! Well I gottta go," Paresies said as he walked off into the night.

He had a strange feeling, almost, like someone was watching him....
"Now that I am older, the only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain." -Artemis Entreri

"New things are like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting but then it becomes a part of you."- Garth Algar (played by Dana Carvey)

Offline Catalyst

• Meticulous Orchestrator
  • Lord
    • Awards
Re: When Kingdoms Fall
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:14:37 AM »
Rare were the times that Scatlin and his band had attempted to best a Knight of Syllestia. Rare because they were smart and never took uncertain risks. Almost never, he corrected himself.

Scatlin heard the knight's slurred speech and saw the way that he stumbled. He had made his decision already, but was still wary of the man.

Turning to a man behind him, he motioned directions through basic hand signals. The men skipped away, across the roof tops, to be in position.

A few moments later, the knight entered into the target area.

No other signals were needed as the group followed Scatlin down to confront the man.

"Seem like ah good ah time as any to pay ah toll," he said drawing his short sword in a single fluid motion. The others of the group took a flanking position in an ever tightening circle...

OOC:

Feel free to kill 'em, if you want, but leave Scatlin and one or two for me...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:43:58 PM by Catalyst »
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 02:09:25 PM »
Paresies heard some people coming so he grabbed his trusty dagger from his boot and swung it at someone. A lucky hit, he thought, as he hit his target in the eye.

He fell to the ground with his dead opponent but grabbed his dagger and immediatly got back up. He dodged one hit and swung at someone again, but this time missing. Not using his dagger, he punched someone as hard as he could, which in effect threw his oppponent to the ground.

He waisted no time in driving his dagger into the man before he got up. Turning to face a man behind him, he didn't hear another sneaking up on him until he got stabbed in the shoulder.

"Aaaggh!!" he yelled in pain. He turned to confront the man and got punched in the face instead.

He was angry now and spit in the guy's eyes, stabbing him in the chest, piercing the lung.

Seeing a opening in the circle he made a break for it, leaving some men behind.
"Now that I am older, the only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain." -Artemis Entreri

"New things are like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting but then it becomes a part of you."- Garth Algar (played by Dana Carvey)

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 02:20:19 AM »
A diminuitive figure garbed in flowing black robes beckoned to Paresies.  "Pssst.  Come here."  A gnarled finger beckoned to the darkness of the narrow alley that was frightning or comforting depending on your disposition...
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 02:26:57 AM »
Paresies, now getting fairly annoyed, walked up to the man, dagger in hand and asked "What do you want old man?" He tried to sound as pollite as he could, but he was drunk and tired.

Offline Chuckanator

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 03:55:03 AM »
While the men continued, something in the nearby woods was staring. The sounds of steel clashing steels along with a blood chilling scream or two following, and then silence. Suddenly a large figure came into site of Paresies. The figure was suited in gleaming armor of iron and steel, following with a bright red cap. The figure clutched a long shiny saber, stained with the blood of it foe, the sanguine fluid consistently continued to fall to the ground like drops of rain. After wiping the blade from the blood with a piece of cloth and casting it onto the ground, the figure spoke with a sharp, deep booming voice.

"Don't be alarmed wary traveler, for I am Henrey the Paladin and I am a Crusader from Rome"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 04:29:55 PM by Chuckanator »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:58:58 AM »
"And what pray tell, is it that has drawn such a cumbersome party into my stupor?" A thin and threadbare voice wheezed. A gaunt man with yellow eyes glared at them, the faint light from the distant tavern glinted against those rheumy and ill-looking orbs and gave his face a jaundiced glow. "Roman Crusader...thief...Knight...black robed man...all crowding in my stupor." His breath was foul to those close enough to smell it, a fetid vapour of alcohol spirits and rotting teeth.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »
Paresies was getting really annoyed now. He just wanted to get to bed! "What is going on!" he demanded. " First, an old man brings me over here, second, this Roman Crusader comes in,then a mysterious person starts talking to me. Paresies put his dagger away and crossed his arms, waiting for an answer.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
Scatlin backed away when he saw the drunken knight make short work of his crew. Regrouping seemed to be the only option. He pulled back, choosing not to pursue the man.

Zemutet had gotten separated from Paresies some time ago. The crowded taverns had proved more challenging to navigate than the region's mountainous terrain, he thought to himself, chuckling at the irony.

As Zem began his walk home, he pondered what the future might bring. Friends since squiredom, he and Paresies had long ago become each others most trusted confidant in Syllestia's ever so political military.

Not one to shy away from the challenge of battle, he was uneasy with the way the King seemed to have instigated the war.

"Where the hell is Paresies?" He whispered out loud.
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Offline Chuckanator

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 04:50:12 PM »
Back at the alley, Henrey spoke to Paresies, saying "I was sent to protect some pilgrims on their pilgrimage to the Holy land but we were attacked by an onslaught of knights in dark armor. They kill most of them, men, women and children. But managed to cut them all like a wild fire in the forest, but know I am here, lost and sadly I do not know were I am".

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 05:02:11 PM »
"You are in the kingdom of Syllestia," Paresies stated proudly, "and I suggest you go back to Rome because things are about to get pretty ugly around here with the war starting and and all."

"Any one eltes like to explain what's going on here?" He asked angrily.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
"What is going on, you ask?" The yellow eyed vulture gave a phlegmy chuckle. "That is an interesting question, one with an equally interesting answer. You have been called here...to this place, this moment, each of you. By me." He stopped to cough several times before spitting up a foamy blob of yellowish green mucus.

"War is coming, yes...but it must happen a certain way. Syllestia must strike first, or it will fall unto ruin. Why should you care? Because Rome will certainly fall after. Maybe months, maybe years, or even decades. If Burlesia wins, all will be lost..." He gave a wan smile that showed rotting teeth.

"I have a map..."

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 09:18:41 PM »
"Why should we trust you, your just an old man who dosn't bother to blow his nose." said Paresies.

I have a feeling I'm not gonna' sleep tonight, he thought angrily.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 10:29:20 PM »
Walking through town, Zem heard the scuttlebutt about death in the streets this night.

His concern grew greater when he found Paresies not to be at home in bed. He decided to make a single pass through town to find him. Chances were good he found a pretty maiden to spend his time with, yet he couldn't shake a nagging, ominous, feeling that something was wrong.

Stumbling onto the grisly scene of Scatlin's abandoned men set off the alarm bells. Luckily he thought he could see Paresies in the distance...

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 12:12:10 PM »
"Because, my uncouth guest, I speak a language that all men understand." He said with a grimey smile, producing a tattered leather pouch from under his cloak, the leather itself looked worn and was fraying at the ends, and yet the shape and size of the bag made it look disturbingly like a certain part of a man's anatomy...

He opened the pouch and poured some of its contents into his filthy palm. There is something unmistakable, something almost magical about gold, about the way it shines even in the dark. And there were a number of golden coins, marked with the doube-headed dragon of Burlesia, and the cruciform of Rome. More astounding were the stones, a large and flawless diamond, a pearl of unimaginable luster, and a flake of green stone...too large and pale to be an emerald.

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 08:30:55 PM »
Paresies then knew that this old man wasn't kidding. If he had all these rare coins and diamonds, he must be something special.

"What do you have in mind." he asked with knew found trust.

Offline Chuckanator

• Master
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 09:47:02 PM »
Henrey spoke to the vulture "If a war is coming, how do fit in? for I'm a but one Knight, lost in a strange place. But of course, it must be a sign from God that must fight. If you need stranger, you have my trust." Henrey then took out his saber and thrust it into the air and cried out "for God and the kingdom of Rome I shall not fail."

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 01:29:53 PM »
Zemutet approached the group with a curious cautiousness. A veteran of many campaigns, he was not eager to jump into the unknown.

Seeing the old man, he approached the group, close enough to be within hearing range, but far enough to not be noticed.

He could here Paresies speak. Nothing seemed out of order, aside from the random meeting with this unorthodox group. Still, Zem didn't want to interrupt the flow of what seemed to be information that could be very useful.

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 04:39:52 AM »
"WARE!!"  The voice was loud, seemingly too loud for the small figure in the black cloak.  "Ware."  The voice was lower but a sharp hiss.  "Paresies.  I knew you would come and I am for you.  You are deestined for great things but doomed to a life of bloodshed and loss."  The speaker peered at the men, features hidden in the darkness of the cowl.  "If you follow the path of this gold."  The voice was low so the others had to lean forward to hear.  "If you follow the path of this gold you will never return.  I will help you because I am for you.  The path is fraught with peril.  Ware foes and friends."  This last was said with a glowering glance at the assembled group...
"Pain can be your greatest ally, from pain you can learn to apply it, endure it and avoid it. Without pain there is no understanding of reality. If you never get hit with the things you strike out with every thing you know is pure fiction."

The Ares Chronicles

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »
"Fear monger, charlatan, purveyor of snake oil..." the Vulture scowled at the black cloaked figure. "Yet you have a part yet to play in this. The stake of kingdoms, and the lives of many weigh on your shoulders. Should you fail, along the road or here now, they will perish. The future is fire and blood, ruin and smoke." He broke into a rattling cough that shook his frail body. A sheen of sweat shone on his liver-spotted head.

"I bid you to take this map, and save our kingdoms, Burlesia and Syllestia, Rome and Arpad." the vulture fumbled out a small map, its edges as tattered and worn as the man who held it. "You can find aid from Jack, the King of Crows...in Lomar..." He said, failing to another round of hacking that left a dribble of blood on his thin lips.

OOC - the map shows a road that leads NE to the City of Lomar, a port that trades between Burlesia and Syllestia, it also has a Roman Temple within its old and battered walls.

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »
Paresies hesitated for a moment, but then took the map with great pride because of what his future would hold for him.

He looked at the map to see where the city of Lomar is. North East, he thought as he put the map away.

"Lomar is North East," he proclaimed. "but we must first go to my house to stock up on supplies."

Thankyou old man." Paresies said bowing, but when he got up and looked around, he wasn't there, so he walked off.

"Other old man... Paladin." Paresies said urging them to come with him.

While they were walking, Paresies could've sworn he saw someone in the shadows.

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »
Nameless looked at the old man.  Saw what danced about him.  The inevitability of the fates that awaited them all.  No one left alive.  "Charlatan?  I deal in the currency of reality.  The weak fear it.  You've not long to walk with us Old One."  Nameless looked at Paresies and for a moment the younger man could almost see pale features within the darkness of the cowl.  "This one...this one has the strength necessary to break through to what lies beyond.  My path is with him."  Nameless fell in step behind Paresies...

The Ares Chronicles

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 03:42:27 PM »
Paresies wasn't quite sure what to make out of all of this. He looked back at the old man in the shadows who had given them the map. "Are you to come with us." he asked.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 05:02:32 PM »
Zem slipped away unnoticed. He had many questions, but none were for Paresies. Paresies, in his mind, had made his decision and was now in league with Rome, among others.

Possibilities rolled through his mind. How could he parlay this information to his advantage? Surely General Stilt would favor someone who showed loyalty to him and Syllestia above all else.

He would have to play this carefully as to not appear to be skipping the chain of command and yet getting full credit for his "loyalty."

Zem made the walk to headquarters as he pondered this. False dawn could be seen in the sky. The grass was covered with fresh dew. Camp was already stirring with the preparations for war.

He ended up at Captain Banister's office.

Banister himself could have advanced further in the King's army would he not have had such a distaste for politics. Zem, in the past, had used this knowledge to his advantage and would do so again this day.

"Hello Landil,"  Zem spoke casually to the slender personal assistant of Banister. The man, more suited for clerical work than soldiering, made sure the captain maintained his appointments. Some said he ran the unit.

"Lieutenant Zemutet," he said looking up, sheepishly, from his desk. "What is it that I can assist you with?"

"When is it that the Captain will be in council with General Stint again?"

Landil hesitated knowing the schedule to be considered confidential.

Ignoring the stall, Zemutet proceeded. "How is your wife?" He asked with a tight smile, cocking his head slightly.

As Landil was about to answer, Zem interrupted "How is Marjoram?" Marjoram was not Landil’s wife, but a mistress that Zemutet had gone to great lengths to have seduce Landil.

"I know no one named Marjoram," Landil stated in weak denial, his posture slumping.

Zemutet looked at Landil, cocking his head the other direction. He held his hands up and shrugged.

A defeated Landil opened up the schedule.

As luck would have it, Captain Banister and General Stilt were meeting for an early breakfast. Moving such a large army took much preparation.

After talking his way into the room, Zem made a show of drawing the Captain’s attention and telling him of Paresies treachery. This of course led to the General asking questions, which lead to a lurking Zemutet being invited to the table for further questioning.

The ever resourceful Zemutet worked that into an invitation to join them.

Before the morning was over, Paresies was no longer a promising lieutenant, he was a wanted man, hunted by the kingdom he no longer could serve. The General sent sentries to locate him and retrieve him for trial.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:27:10 PM by Catalyst »

Offline POG

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 05:08:17 PM »
Nameless looked at Paresies.  "Your house, them to Lomar with haste my liege."  Dice rolled in Nameless' head, they had yet to fall.  Luck was not with them in this...

The Ares Chronicles