llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Evil GM tricks  (Read 3365 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« on: March 25, 2003, 04:51:37 PM »
Manfred’s submission to the “Manfred's list of incredibly cool websites that he doesn't..� has given me the idea for this thread.

What are some cool/nasty/evil things that you have done to you player characters?
If I am wrong, it is probably because you misunderstand me

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 04:53:35 PM »
Once I gave a party a ring that told the holder (who ever picked it up) that it would grant the owner one wish.  But in exchange the wearer had to give up a constitution (con) point permanently.

If the character agreed the ring would consume the con point permanently and grant the wearer the one wish.  The ring failed to tell the wearer that the ring only had power do accomplish these tasks inside the room where it was found and that once the ring was removed from the room all its powers were lost.

Depending on the order that this happened in the character could lose the con point for nothing.

This idea was taken almost verbatim from the advanced D&D module “White Plume Mountain�

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 06:30:07 PM »
See "Favorite Game Moments"
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline KingOfChaos

• Apprentice
    • http://www.realmsofevil.net/
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 09:08:45 PM »
Manfred’s submission to the “Manfred's list of incredibly cool websites that he doesn't..� has given me the idea for this thread.

Would my site have anything to do with the inspiration for this topic? ;)

I think the most EVIL thing done in any game I have played in would have to be the shadow dragon.  The d**ned thing can come out of a shadow as small as one cast by a gnome!  So here is my 14th level gnome wizard running for his life when the dragon he was trying to get away from jumps out of his shadow and stomps him to dirt :P
Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil Games Publishing
http://www.realmsofevil.net/

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 02:57:10 PM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
See "Favorite Game Moments"

Oh well and for more bad news, I can not find "Favorite Game Moments" I even looked for the queens english version "Favourite Game Moments" just in case, but I could not find it either.

p.s. I got
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Three times when I tried to quote this  :cry:

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 03:45:51 PM »
I believe the link in question would be http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=284.0 - titled 'Favorite Quotes'.

Thus called because, by and large, the quotes in question tend to involve in-game dialogue.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 04:49:13 PM »
My brother ran a paralell campaign on two seperate days with different groups. One group dug thier own dungeon, laid traps and treasure, imported monsters and decided to be the bad guys. The final piece to the puzzle was a mummy's head they put a false enchantment on.

They started dropping hints untill the other group found thier dungeon and went in looking for the treasure they'd heard of, the "Head of Vecna"

They found the head, the thief backstabbed a warrior to death, the other warrior killed him as a traitor and drew straws with the wizard to fairly decide who would get the head. The wizard let the warrior win. The warrior asks him to cut off his head so he can put the head on and the wizard does, but get interrupted by a wandering encounter. When he's done, he tries to put the head on, but it doesn't work. Thinking he took too long, he summons a monster and tells it to cut off his own head. the end
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline drphluid

• Guardian
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 02:52:10 PM »
Kassil,

Thanks for the link.  Now I know what you guys were talking about; however, that thread seems to focus on what the players do.  I am looking for things to do TO the players.  To put this in the right perspective, imagine that you had that exploding munchkin in a face-to-face game and he was whining about this or that.  Now what would you do to him?

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 04:34:11 PM »
In one game I was playing, I suppose we missed the hooks that the GM wanted us to get, 'cause there was an earthquake, and our entire party fell in to the fault.  So we wake up, and we're lucky to have gotten away with a few broken bones.  Fortunately we had a magician, because none of the cleric's spells seemed to work.  Then we find out it wasn't an ordinary fault or earthquake.  No, we fell through a portal to the plane of demons, and almost literally on top of a group of the buggers.  The Queen of Demons, who of course had the equivalent of a magic mirror, wasn't exactly pleased.  So between avoiding the demon army, and trying to keep a pair of succubi away from the males in the group, we had a pretty long haul to get out of there.  THAT is what I call a dirty trick.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 04:47:19 PM »
...I have an antimunchkin device. It's a massive steel behemoth that roars out of a planar rift, flatten the munchkin in question (Area effect - you can save for half if you really want to try), deal 3D4x1,000,000,000 damage direct to HP, bypassing armor, defensive spells, and the like due to the enormous force and the cold iron bumper of the 1984 Ford LTD Elite that just ran the munchkin over at 120 mph... Then vanishes into another planar rift. No more munchkin.

Yes, I can be a vindictive bastard when given cause. Don't try to out-munchkin the DM. He is Omnipotent.
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline DaWergyling

• Journeyman
    • Awards
It's a small world after all
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 12:34:15 PM »
Agar, where does your sibling live?
I just started playing (a player actually. Trying to be a GM before playing even one quest seemed a bit suicidal to me) and when I suggested the head of vecna idea to the GM, he said he already heard of it, and his sister had the same, exact scenario.
heh..............
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 04:07:16 PM »
My brother lives in Kansas City, Missouri. One of the D&D video games (Forsaken or something) had a floating skull for a character that liked to intimidate people by claiming to be the head of Vecna. Perhaps that's were your DM head of it.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Evil GM tricks
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2003, 04:30:08 PM »
Well, lessee, I made one hapless stupid mage run all over five continents looking for an invisible ring that was in his pocket the whole time. I got one stupid rogue to convince the sewer-mutants that he was their mother, at which point their all-consuming rage boiled over and they ate him (They hate their mothers). One player got angry at a harmless de-clawed ettercap with a top hat who sold him faulty Swords of Sharpness, so he attacked the harmless ettercap and found himself trapped inside a Bag of Holding.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist