llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Suggestions?  (Read 4125 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
Suggestions?
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
I would really love to join in on some of the Freeform Roleplays, but my problem is that, I'm a little frightened.

Oh, I've read the rules, and such, and I understand that Freeform roleplaying doesn't require a character profile of some sort, but how do I make my character? I have tons of character ideas, etc, but I don't know if I have enough information to make it fit in the game.

There seems to be some sort of hidden knowledge that I'm missing out on! ^__^

How do you guys make your characters? How does it fit in with the game? And do you just make up some info and jump in? How do I know if my information is correct or not, and I'm screwing the game up or something?

Gah! Ah ahm sooo confused! #__#;;

EDIT: Example, I was reading The Orb of Shadows, and how does the person who started it, Nap, know where Ria's character's origins are? And what the people are like? Was it a guess or did they talk about this information? How do I know if I makes some weird region up and join in that I'm not messing up the game? #__#;;
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:38:46 PM by DragonRhapsody »

www †  artcraft

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:18:41 PM »
There's not really much too it.  In fact one could call it a superb ability to BS.  If it's in the freeform section then most of us DON'T know what's happening.  Just kinda plop yourself in there and mold your character as you go.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:40:19 PM »
My suggestion for freeform? Read the thread so far, and make a note or two on what the world its in is like, then make a general outline of a character that would kinda fit in that world. For example, with the orb of shadows:

"Are you mad?", replied the barkeep, approaching the men from around the bar's edge.  "He's as good as dead, and that metal sphere smacks of sorcery!  It is an ill omen, and one that I will not allow to stay in my place."

This suggests that in this region of the world they're playing in, Magicks and sorcery is seen is a rare and wicked thing. So if you were to make a spell-casting character, it would be natural that your character would have his or her abilities hidden unless needed, lest you be seen as evil :P Otherwise, you might want to make a character who thinks magic IS evil, and is uneasy around anyone who uses it.

But in all seriousness, in Freeform you can make up a character with just an outline of detail, and fill in the blanks as the game continues (Just so long as you don't conveniently make up things out of the blue :P)
_____

Now i'm not too sure if Nap and Ria have been chatting in PMs or in the chatroom while they play out their roleplay, but it's possible they were talking a bit about their background beforehand. But it's also not completely uncommon to be surprised with unexpected information, so you sometimes just have to work with what's thrown at you by other characters :P

My suggestion? Take a stab at it! Throw yourself in with one of the games, and use this first game to experiment and learn. If you end up doing something wrong, the other players should give you a gentle nudge in the right direction - Not everyone in here is an evil, unforgiving beast. (Only me  :hyper:)

If everyone was expected to be perfect at this and never make a mistake, Strolen's citadel would have much fewer members than it does now  :wink:

Anywho. to directly attack your questions:

How do you guys make your characters?
I don't know about the others, but once i read a freeform roleplay, I tend to give myself a few minutes to just think up a character on the spot. It's usually a good idea to give characters a couple good points (eg. athletic, dextrous, good with swords or whatever), a general personality (eg. aggressive, passive, friendly, reclusive, manipulative etc...), a general thought on whether he's superstitious or scientifically minded or religious etc... and of course, a flaw or two to shove in there (eg. a phobia of something, blind in one eye, deaf, racist etc...) Oh - and I sometimes like to have a hidden secret which may or may not ever get revealed in the roleplay :P (eg. a woman who's only dressed like a man to fit in more, was once a noble but is now disgraced, or is the mayor of the town masquerading as an adventurer etc...)

How does it fit in with the game?
The thing about freeform roleplaying is that nearly anything can fit in as long as you follow basic rules (for example, don't make a spellcaster if you're in a world without magic). A character should have motivation to follow an adventure though. Whether it be greed, glory, a hidden agenda or otherwise.

Do you just make up some info and jump in?
Pretty much, yes :) Just so long as you give it a little bit of thought, you'll be fine.

How do i know if my information is correct or not, and i'm screwing the game up or something?
Nearly anything you make will be fine. And if you're screwing up the game, someone will let you know - whether it be by PM or an OOC message in the game. We aren't here to pick out all of your bad points, believe it or not, but rather to work on your good points :)

____

That's about all I can help you with. In summary: Give it a go! Have some fun! If it doesnt work out, learn from it and try again!
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 12:19:25 AM »
Yah.  Pretty much, just jump in and see what happens.  As for Orb of Shadows, and how he knew my char's origins, no, we didn't plan that out.  When my char introduced himself, I mentioned that he was of a specific tribe, and that tribe had been mostly wiped out.  Then Nap said something about how they were famed as great warrior, which hadn't been what I originally had in mind, but worked so I went with it.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:16:28 PM »
*phew* ^__^

Well, that makes much more sense, and I can stop freaking out now! XD

LOL thanks guys! Sorry, for the momentary n00b-panic attack! >P

www †  artcraft

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:52:21 AM »
Don't worry about it.  Newbie panic attacks are what us mods/admins are here for.  Well, that and the cookies.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:44 PM »
COOKIES!!!  YOU GUYS GET COOKIES?!?!?!?  S'no fair.  You better share or I might start hiring stupid llamas/"1337 N1NJ4Z" to harrass you Ria.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:36:32 PM »
*sets Pariah on fire*
As for the cookies...
*summons cookies*

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
Yay!! I love cookies!!!

*munchmunch*

Hey lookit, a fire! XD

www †  artcraft

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:17:11 PM »
GAHHHH!!!!  IT BURNS!!!!  AGAIN!!!!

*Pariah runs out of the room and jumps into a pond*

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
You'd think he'd learn...

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 09:13:31 PM »
I think he likes the burny-burny. XD

www †  artcraft