llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Orb of Shadows  (Read 39413 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Callista Miala Moonshade

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Re: The Orb of Shadows
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2006, 10:44:22 AM »
Harper sighed and looked around the room "Whats taken them so long? and where's Eri?" Harper shook her head as there was still no sign of either of the people they were waiting for.
'What goes up!! Must come down,"

Offline Catalyst

• Meticulous Orchestrator
  • Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
"Aelstan," Seabrum said turning his head in the ranger's direction. "What say you?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Offline Nap

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2006, 10:05:55 PM »
OOC:  Sorry guys, had to go out of town for a few days, no pc!

IC:  Aelstan was unsure of what the next course of action should be, but before he could shrug his shoulders, Father Keane and two of the acolytes appeared in the foyer near the party. 

"Good morning, my friends!  I trust you slept well last night, despite the activities that undoubtedly weighed upon your minds," smiled Father Keane, looking quite robust considering the circumstances.  "My young acolytes will feed you and you may then go with them to Maggiore's general store down the road to outfit yourselves.  I suggest you take horses, as you will get to Falmouth much quicker, and certainly more safely."

Aelstan started to look around for Eri, but didn't want to wait any longer before eating.  The acolytes turned outwardly and gestured for the party to follow them into the dining hall downstairs, where the smell of hot food was originating...

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2006, 08:29:45 AM »
Harper's mouth started to water as she smelt the food wafting up towards them. Harper hadn't had a good long meal in a few weeks but for some reason she didn't feel as hungry as she had done. Eri was still no where to be seen and the smell was so tantalizing. Harper looked at the company around the room first Aelstan then Seabrum then Piper and then father keane and the acolytes. "Well Eri should catch up soon. Don't you think?" Harper spoke softly trying not to raise her voice to high.

Offline Nap

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2006, 09:09:18 PM »
Aelstan had eaten at several monasteries around the kingdoms, and never really cared for the simple fare that monks served travelers.  Churches, however, seemed to enjoy catering to hearty appetites, and the Church of Shivaldar was no exception. 

The ranger and the others sat down in a relatively simple dining hall, save for the ornate tapestries lining the walls.  Poached eggs, ham steaks, and fresh fruit slices were served in abundance to the adventurers.  Aelstan felt almost as if they were being courted, or recruited, in some way.  Then, with a dismal spark of cognizance, realized that indeed they were.

As they ate, Father Keane produced a map of the barony, including a dotted road that led to Falmouth, where Lord Theodric's father, Baron Grath, lived.  The high priest encouraged the travelers to stay on the road and not share any information with wanderers along the way.  He apologized for Lord Theodric's absence, but explained that he had to leave late in the night to return home and thus not arouse much alarm.  He did, however, leave the party with enough gold to furnish whatever their needs may be, including horses.

Aelstan was used to eating common food, and often even raw, wild food, with few spices.  This breakfast was indeed a hearty treat, and he was now eager to get his equipment and head out of town.  He hadn't been on a horse in over a year, but felt it would be wise to not share that information with the group just yet.  He could pick it up quickly, maybe they wouldn't notice...

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2006, 12:29:56 AM »
Piper didn't eat much.  He never did.  He spent the entirity of the meal away from the others, concentrating on eating and listening to the priest.  If any of the others was paying attention to him, they would notice that he didn't take his scarf off even when he was eating.  He was anxious to go; he wanted to get this over with, and leaving the artifact in the hands it was currently in longer than necessary was inconcievable.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2006, 12:11:10 AM »
Skipping the meal, Seabrum used the time to make take a quick jaunt to his nearby armor shop.

Looking over the items, he carefully considered his choosings. The most notable of the items he chose were forearm bracers and an chain mail shirt.

traveling clothes over his new armor, the former smithe headed back to the temple, standing out only because of his huge frame and the axe strapped across his back.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:40:14 AM by Catalyst »
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2006, 01:18:13 PM »
Seabrum announced his intentions to the group as a courtesy out of respect. He would listen to any who spoke to the contrary, but his mind was already set.

"I am leaving for Falmouth immediately. I can no longer stand by feasting while innocents stand by to be slaughtered. There is plenty of time to discuss plans on the way."

With that, Seabrum looked around the room, gazing into each person's face. Angry with impatience, he turned on his heal and left the room.

Blogest was awakened by the sounds of his companions bickering.

Other than the constant whining and in-fighting, life had been good on the road. Bountiful and plentiful were the human merchants that passed this way.

Still, it would be necessary to move on soon. Those in Falmouth wouldn't stand for the lawlessness for long.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2006, 01:47:28 AM »
Norah's eyes flickered open and she stared in utter confusion at the stone wall in front of her. Pushing herself up she looked around, half of her face was sticky with blood and sweat. She slowly got to her feet and used one of the barrels that she had fallen behind to steady herself. Then the acrid smell hit her. She looked over at the corpse upon the ground, though it was hard to see with the crowd gathered around it. She slowly bent over and picked up her staff, wich had returned to its stick-like form when she had lost consciousness. Exhausted, she ran her hand over her face but the spell faltered and she cleared out the clot of the wound. With another small curse she brushed the powdered blood and salt from her hand, She was going to need a professional and headed towards the temple to seek help... again. She had just returned from a stay there whilst her broken arm mended before the deamons ran through the streets.
"I should have stayed in bed yesterday." she mumbled as the sun poked over the horizon. She looked back after she had walked a ways up the street, wondering why nobody had seen her. She looked at her hands and cursed again. She had hidden in the shadows before she lost consciousness and the spell continued to drain upon her so she negated it. 
The Wizard's head pulsated with each beat of her heart and she thought she would never make it to the temple. When she reached the stairs norah sat down upon one. The blood had oozed down her face again. She knew without a doubt that her silvery-white robes under her drab gown were stained but she didn't possess the energy to clean them now.
Exhaused, Norah slung her pack off of her back and ploped it on the step beside her, she leaned against it and felt sleep closing in on her.

((OOC: sorry for my hiatus, life is darn hectic at the moment but i'm back))
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 01:49:49 AM by Andimia »

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2006, 01:59:51 AM »
Piper got up without a word and followed Seabrum.  He was anxious to be moving along.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2006, 07:40:54 AM »
Harper watched as Piper and Seabrum started to leave. She looked down at the food a look of pure despair on her face. she looked back towards the moving figures and threw up her hands, "Aelstan, i guess they want to go!" She smiled slightly and waited to see if he got up to leave as well. Harper sighed, "i have a horse already so i don't need money to buy a new one. and one of my Friends" She said this last word with a slight slur "Has one that i could borrow. Instead of money that is" Harper sighed again and stood up and pulled her cloak back onto her shoulders.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:43:26 AM by Callista Miala Moonshade »

Offline Nap

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2006, 11:57:32 AM »
[OOC:  Sorry, have had unexpected family events come up lately - but it should be easier now for me to post]
IC:   Aelstan was a lot hungrier than he had thought, and found himself immersed in the food the acolytes had prepared for the party.  While on his second plate, he noticed that his companions were preparing to leave, and the sudden sense of urgency that he had felt the night before quickly returned.

"Father Keane said we would be able to buy horses with the gold they provided us," reminded the ranger.  "Let's head over to the stablery at the edge of town and see what we can get before we head out.  My equipment is fine, and we have some travel rations... enough to get us to Falmouth."

Aelstan didn't want to let the companions know about his poor horsemanship, but he also knew that their trip would be much more speedy, and possibly safe, if they didn't travel by foot, especially when they would be near the banks of the River Haerlith.

The warrenwood ranger grabbed his gear, including a wooden shield that had seen many days, and headed out the door to join the others.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »
Blogest, lying in wait, took care to make himself look vulnerable. Bearing the most human like traits of the group, he was often used as a bait to get the wagons to slow.

Seeing the wagon roll around the corner, he laid his head down on the deeply rutted road, turning his back to the group to disguise his goblinoid features.

"Halt," he heard from what he presumed was the driver. The command was shortly followed by the sound of bolts clicking into readiness and the shuffling of feet.

The sound of armor clanged, moving closer to his position. Metal sliding through a scabbard let him know the man was upon him.

With a nervous hand, Blogest allowed himself to be rolled over.

Using the momentum, Blogest rolled to his right arm and knee. Using it as a springboard, he bulled the man over, sliding his left hand's dagger into the man's throat.

Confident in the maneuver, he afforded him self the privilege of taking his eyes off of the man as he died. The group was well armed, for this region. They had spread out, backs to the wagons, along either side of the road. Twenty or so strong, the merchants had them slightly out numbered.

Chaos erupted as a motley crew of monsters exploded into the men, pouring out of well placed hidey-holes, some directly under their feet.

It was soon over; the killing had been most efficient.

Surveying the spoils, Blogest took care to note his own group's losses. One or two at the most, he thought. They rarely lost anyone due to the efficiency of the band. Their execution had been honed to perfection over many years of wandering the highways.

Being half-human, Blogest's intelligence and cunning had given him much status amongst the group. They looked to him for planning and strategy.

Looking around at the dead humans, his stomach rumbled. Time to get to work, he thought. Plenty of meat to be harvested.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 01:21:54 AM by Catalyst »

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2006, 10:30:07 PM »
The horse he rode wasn't a war hose for sure, yet the beast of burden he had procured was young, with a strong back that could support his girth.

Seabrum, glad to be on the road to Falmouth, was comfortable in the middle of the pack. Now that they were out into one of the less civilized areas of the region; it was only natural for the ranger to resume leading.

A long day of travel had brought about dusk. The loud chirping of the crickets and toads could be heard all around. It seemed like such a chore to hear past them. It made Seabrum feel edgy.

Looking around, the entire group seemed tense. Everyone seemed to fear what the darkness might bring.

As the sun melted into the landscape, the natural noises of the forest suddenly stopped.

Seabrum instinctively knew.

The Jandoshan.....

Offline T-Bone

• If there was such thing as an iklsporfin, I would be one of them.
  • Grand Master
  • Im one of those guys you wouldn't call a suck-bot.
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2006, 02:12:48 PM »
OOC:

Can I jump in?
"Now that I am older, the only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain." -Artemis Entreri

"New things are like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting but then it becomes a part of you."- Garth Algar (played by Dana Carvey)

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
OOC:

I don't see why not.

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
Jacksius woke up from his nap. He was really tired from fighting these odd demonic-like creatures all night. They've been roaming around these parts alot all of a sudden.

The young elf was startled by the shrieks of the demons again. He grabbed the hilt of his sword then remembered the gashing cut he got from the monsters last time. He scuried up a tree and grabbed his bow and arrow.

Jacksius heard someone coming so he got ready to shoot when he realized that this band of humans, not a group of demons! It was an unlikely bunch, a big burly man,who looked like a craftsman, a mysterious man who kept to the shadows, a man who looked rather clumsy on his horse, and a skiny, young woman.

Jacksius began to relax his grip when he saw a figure hiding in the bushes. Automatically he knew what it was. He fired an arrow at it and heard a shriek that could be heard from miles away.

"I think that's a hit." Jacksius whispered.

Demons started spewing from everwhere, and the group on horses was caught totally off guard! 

He decided to help them, because if this band didn't kill the demons, those monsters would surely find and kill him as well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 10:20:44 PM by T-Bone »
"Now that I am older, the only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain." -Artemis Entreri

"New things are like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting but then it becomes a part of you."- Garth Algar (played by Dana Carvey)

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2006, 05:03:56 PM »
Piper snarled silently as the demons attacked again.  Clearly, they did not mean to make this easy.  He fired his crossbow at the nearest one, then leapt at it, swords flashing.  I am the fire that dances on the altar, I am the flame that consumes.  Fire is the life bringer and the protector.  I will burn away the demons of the darkness.  The darkness can't keep pace with fire.  The Jandoshan were fast, terribly fast, but he was faster.   One that he hadn't seen coming threw itself at him, tail and claws lashing.  It was only luck that he managed to twist out of the way.  Still, the demon caught at his cloak, half throttling him before he managed to rip away.

Breathing hard, Piper fell back to a defensive crouch.  They were lucky.  These were just lesser demons, not nearly as big or as smart as their greater kin, like the ones that they had fought in town.  Still, a horde of them was bad news, and could easily overwhelm them. 

Offline T-Bone

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2006, 09:51:48 PM »
Jacksius was shooting the demons down with great ease. Whether he was a better archer than swordsman,or these were easier demons, he didn't care, he was taking them down one by one and that's all he needed to know.

After awhile he became rather amused, the demons, or Jandoshan as the people down on the ground called them, started running around wondering where the arrows were coming from,until, one of them saw him! He was about to shoot it when it just happened to turn around and look up in the trees. So Jacksius put away his bow and arrow and drew his sword.

The Jandoshan came up to the tree and tried to grab him but he kicked it and jumped down from the tree. The monster drew his sword too, and swung at Jacksius but he dodged it and swung at the creature's foot sending it clean off. The monster fell to the ground in agony, usually Jacksius would spair the man laying on the ground but since it wasn't a man he sent his sword straight through it's heart, and went out to battle.

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »
Seabrum saw the Jandoshan and drew his axe. An angry eagerness filled his heart with energy.

At once several were upon him. Axe head from near the ground, Seabrum raised the great axe in an upward arc. The feeble defense the creature put up was driven through, like the paper Seabrum used to use to demonstrate the sharpness of blades.

Turning away from the follow through, Seabrum faced the creature formerly to his backside. With the continued momentum of his heavy handed uppercut, Seabrum finished the circle, crashing down hard into the skull of the thing.

Seabrum placed a foot at the base of the fallen monster's head to gain purchase for dislodging the heavy weapon. Too quickly, another was on him.

Throwing out a meaty forearm, he blocked the Jandoshan’s sword strike. Involuntarily he flinched at the strength of the impact. The block turned to a deflection, cutting his shoulder and knocking him to the ground.

Landing on the handle of the protruding axe hard, knocked the breath out of him, but dislodged the weapon.

Rolling out of reach of the weapon, the former blacksmith put his head down and drove his shoulder into the chest of another on comer. Falling on top, he used the hardened steel of his forearm bracers to break it's face apart, turning it into unrecognizable bits of hair and blood.

Retrieving the axe he scanned the area for others...

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2006, 10:35:17 PM »
Norah awoke a couple of hours later, she could feel her face had been burned by the afternoon sun. Her body ached as she pushed herself to her feet and went into the temple to recieve aid for her wound...

ooc: i'm going to step out, i've been here just waiting for someone to react to my character but the group has moved on
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:45:13 PM by Andimia »

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Catalyst

• Lord
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2006, 08:14:10 PM »
OOC:

I'm sorry Andima. Please catch up with the group! Seabrum couldn't wait around at the temple anymore. :wink:

• Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »
She swung down from her horse and planted her left foot right into the demons disfigured nose, it fell backwards with the force of the kick. Harper landed on the floor with both feet parted and one hand resting on the dirt of the earth. With ease Harper drew her sword, the metal flashed as the blade spun rapidly round and round with each step that Harper took. As the blade began to spin faster it turned to a glimmering blur cutting ferouisly at the demon in front of her. Bloodcurdling cries came from the creatures mouth as it's tail and claws tried to stop the blade. After a while the demon was led on the floor not one bit not covered in blood she turned to be knocked of her feet by another demon running straight for her. It leaped without warning digging it's claws into the soft flesh of her stomach. Harper struggled to keep the demon aloft above her, warm blood began to seep out of the cuts which now covered her stomach.