llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Voyage of the Empress  (Read 26081 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Voyage of the Empress
« on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »
Thursday Morning, 9:15 AM.
June 15th, 1892
Boston Harbor

The Dragon Empress brooded in the number 6 pier, its once majestic twin smoke stacks now festooned with an aggregation of soot and seagull droppings. The once lusterous white paint of the superstructure and railings was stained with the ochre stains of rust as the metal slowly yielded to the urgent demand of corrosion. Particularly large rust stains streaked from the anchor ports, giving the ship the appearance of a tattered and filthy weeping statue.

In the next peir the Gunnarson unloaded its cargo of fuel coal into the bunkers aboard the Dragon Empress. A platoon of greasy faced dockmen sweated under the surprisingly hot New England sun. Each grunted as they worked to move the fuel into the ship. Chang Wei Saisong observed the men as they loaded his ship. The asian man smoothed the lapels of his sombre suit, thinking of California where such menial labor was the sole domain of his asiatic kin. It was quite a thing to see immigrant Irishmen with their flame red hair, and pale skinned Germans, Austrians, and Dutchmen working in such conditions. The coal would be loaded completely in another 14 hours. The main cargo was already loaded.

He felt the manifest folded in his pocket. 22 tons of raw textile materials from South Carolina, 130 tons of American grain, and 3,000 tons of refined steel, quite a load for the old liner, but the holds were sound, despite the poor appearance of the ship. He thought of the crate...and quickly banished it from his memory. There were plenty of strange characters who bought passage across the Atlantic for the bottom of the barrel costs he offered. Thieves, murderers, occultists and other rogue personages sought the low cost and no questions tickets that he had.

According to the manifest, there were going to be 119 guests, not including the 48 crewmen who signed on for the crossing. He was vexed that aside from three asians who had come with him across the country, he couldnt keep a steady crew on the ship, the sailors always looked for other ships, better ships, newer ships. Even the American Navy was causing him to loose men as quickly as he could get them. He looked down to see some of the workers pausing with their shovels to lean against the crates.

"Hey! you lazy, get to work or all fired!" Chang shouted after looking at his pocket watch.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Voyage of the Empress
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:09:21 PM »
'Henri Lamorak'...that will do for this voyage Pinky thought, as he watched the workers heaving crate after crate unto this seeming behemoth of a ship. He liked the name he had chosen. Something from some book about knights. He breathed in the salty air, and glanced away from the Dragon Empress momentarily. His sharp blue eyes searched the docks for Mr. Brandford, that sap of a banker, Henri had now befriended. One could always use a friend on board to lend credibility to my latest character, he mused, and its not like the banker was bad company. He was a pleasant enough chap actually, even if Pinky didnt swallow his "woe is me" tale of bankruptcy. Bankers had money, always...it was as simple as that.

Not seeing the frumpy man among the throng of people, he returned to staring at the ship he was soon to board. Ok...lets get this straight now, he addressed himself silently once again. Your father was French, your mother American, but with dutch blood in her veins. Yes, that will suffice. She was sick with the Consumption now, poor mammy, taking the vapors in Amsterdam. Perfect! who could resist a loyal son returning to see his mother for perhaps the last time. A true tear-jerker. If only her humble, but loyal son had the finances for that operation and hospital stay *sigh*. Yes that will do quite nicely.

He absent-mindedly stuck his hand inside his pocket and began fingering the small ivory curiosity he always carried with him, ever since that mad-eyed taxidermist dropped it in the street while running from someone and babbling incoherently. The item looked like the tip of some animals horn, spiralling and yellowish from age. Unicorn horn, he liked to imagine, although the old timer at the museum identified it as a shard of Arabian Ibex horn, whatever the hell that was. All Pinky cared about, was that it brought him luck.

He glanced around again, watching the people make their way to and fro. He spied a group of probable passengers, some ladies with dainty sun umbrellas who were speaking with someone who surely must have been part of the crew. Time to make friends, Pinky thought, and strolled in their direction. Oh and there he was! Mr. Frederick Brandford himself, looking all green and pasty. No doubt still suffering from all that whiskey he quaffed the previous night.

You've come a long way from Five-Points New York, Pinky told himself, as he gracefully chose the right type of walk for Henri. Lets see what the Atlantic and the Old World has to offer!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 12:49:36 PM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:52:29 AM »
Henri heard a good deal of commotion, followed by a flustered series of apologies being offered. A rather good looking and obviously New Englander couple was coming up the pier leading what looked like a pait of black horses with large floppy ears, massive dogs of some sort. "Apologies, my sincereist apologies!" the man said as one of the tops toppled a stack of coiled rope to see what it was obviosuly hiding. "Pardon me!" he all but shouted as the duo of beasts decided to move on to the next interesting thing on the pier.

"They are really quite harmless," the woman said to Henri as her husband fought with the leashes as the dogs discovered a strange and exciting new scent a few feet behind them. "They are Newfoundlands, and there arent too many ships that would let us bring them with us." She said.

"Quite right, those that would wanted them crated. That's no way for a bog to travel, a week locked in a wooden box." The husband said. "The name is Peter Zimmerman, and this is my wife Estelle." he extended his no-leash hand to shake with Henri.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Ellie looked around the squalid little pier in distaste.  Normally, she wouldn't be seen dead in such a place, but the Empress was all she could afford.  Hopefully, none of her clients would be around to see her, and no one she considered socially important would recognize her.  That would be humiliating.  At least, if worst came to worst, she could easily come up with an excuse for being on this dingy ship that didn't reveal her financial situation.
And anyway, she'd be making a new start in Europe; it was really for the best.  Her nerves hadn't been any good since that dreadful episode in Arkham when she'd suddenly gone into screaming hysterics on the street for no readily discernable reason.  She really had no idea why; she'd passed that house several times before, and lent no credence to the stories of it being haunted.  At least the incident had only helped her reputation.
The commotion caused by the couple and their massive dogs attracted her notice.  She was standing quite close to them, and the other man the dog's owner had introduced himself to.  She glanced at the two huge dogs, and pulled her skirt away before they could tread mud on it.  "Please restrain your dogs, sir.  I cannot abide it when I am jumped upon."  She spoke with a vague, affected accent that was hard to place.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:37:40 PM »
"They are really very sweet, and dont mean any harm, they are just overly rambunctious," Estelle apologized for her dogs as poor Peter tried to keep the dogs from bounding up on the strangely accented woman. "Your accent is peculiar, do you happen to be from Innsmouth? I hope you dont mind me asking, but my great aunt lived there for a while and she gathered up a rather similar accent herself. Poor dear she passed away just about six months ago." Estelle realized that she had not given the woman a chance to speak back. "I'm sorry, I do have a tendency to just carry on and on when I am nervous..." She stopped as the two newfies stopped gamboling around and started to growl deep in their large chests.

"I hope you can keep you dogs on leash..." a strangely pale asian main said. He seemed rather tall and had odd features as if he were off mixed birth. "Please, board the ship as soon as possible!" He said, scratching at his ear.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 10:48:55 PM »
"It is quite all right, madame, I enjoy listening to people."  Ellie picked up her case and started up the gangplank, chatting with the woman.  "As for my accent, one might say that I am from everywhere.  But most recently, I am from Arkham.  I have never been to Innsmouth, and have no desire to go.  I have been told it is a rather unpleasant place.  I do not mean this as a reflection on your aunt, of course."  She would have to keep this couple in mind; it was possible that the woman or her husband bought into mysticism, and that was always good for Ellie.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 07:42:18 AM »
"Arkham, I've passed through it once, we stayed at a very reputable bed and breakfast there. The weather was horrible the whole time and I couldnt wait to get back home to Connetticut." Estelle said.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »
Oh genius, you planned the grand escape over Sea into the Old World, and have forgotten that you don't really like ships. All the cheap alcohol from yesterday will surely not help, either. So be careful... well... the ship moves only a little now. Actually, it is quite pleasant at the moment, fresh air and all... but I know it too good. As soon as we get on high seas, there comes a mighty storm or hurricane, and makes me throw out my breakfast and much more. But until then, I ought to stay in comfort. So walk around, be pleasant to people, who... don't look like much, really. Lower class, definitely. The poor and the criminals. And the fugitives, like me.

Ah, there is Henry... Henry Lamoraq, a bright fellow, though something tells me I should keep to my money if he is around. Talks a lot, with a wry smile, he has intelligence that may be useful while I am down on luck. Well then, I paid your journey, Henry, and I do not forget my debts.

Ahh, you have already taken to observing the other passangers, and have found what must be the most decent folk on this ship. Good company is hard to get here, I better join them. And they have dogs! Strange, but a good sign. Of all the hunting I liked dogs most, they are much better creatures than our race of mortals. But here I am now....

Slowly walking, and thinking along the way, Frederic found himself close to the group of talking people.

"A noble breed, these are, madam. But, where are my manners... Frederic G. Brandford, at your service. I hope I may enjoy your company during the voyage."
*a slight bow of the head to her and the gentleman, offers the hand for a handshake*
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 06:09:24 PM »
(OOC: For the record, Ellie is standing with the couple with the dogs, talking to the woman, and she has made a very good attempt at looking like a lady.)

Ellie acknowledged Bradford with a slight nod.  "I suppose, since we are all to be companions, we must all introduce ourselves.  I am Ilsa Baptiste."  She observed the newcomer with a practiced eye.  Down on his luck, like her, probably; he looked too respectable to be here otherwise.  Didn't look as if he had much imagination, but appearances could be deceiving.  Appeared to be an affable sort.  He probably wouldn't end up being 'her sort of people,' but he would probably be pleasant enough company.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »
"Well, Well...What an intimidating pair of beasts! Quite harmless you say though, mmm? My name is Monsieur, I mean Mister Lamorak, but please call me Henri" Pinky racked his brains for some dog lore and contined, "Well, these will do quite nicely, once they stop growling". He smiled his friendliest smile. "One cannot have better companions on board than such swimmers as these! Webbed feet I believe, no?"

Pinky glanced at the gathered group, and grinned ear to ear. "Peter and Estelle Zimmerman, well met! and Lady Baptiste it is a pleasure to me you as well", he said as he made a show of bowing and kissing her hand dramatically. "Arkham? Innsmouth? I am afraid I have not visited these locales, but your accent does sound so interesting. I have heard such a accent before I think. I knew a lady from Europe, eastern Europe I believe, she was a rascally sort I'm afraid, not an upstanding citizen such as yourself. But your accent seems a bit....um...muddled. Well no matter! Forgive my ramblings!

"And dont think I have forgotten you, dear Frederick! Nothing like fresh air for that headache eh?" Pinky nodded to the banker and his grin was even wider now, if that was possible.

"Well, that settles it. I insist we all dine together our first evening at sea! Would that be acceptable to you all? And we'll be sure to save some beefsteak for those wonderful beasties of yours Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerman."

Pinky finally stopped chattering and pretended to glance around the docks again. What he was really doing was studying the faces of his new acquaintences. Yes, this little quartet will do, quite nicely, he told himself. Off to Amsterdam!

Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 03:16:12 AM »
Ellie glanced at Lamorak appraisingly.  It was entirely possible that he, himself was not what he appeared.  Of course, it was also possible that Ellie wasn't as good an actress as she thought she was.  But still, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on this man.  She wasn't sure she trusted him.  At any rate, it was time to explain away any inconsistencies about her accent.  "I suppose you might call my accent muddled, Monsieur," she said with great dignity.  "The Romany have no country, after all; I grew up all over the whole of the Continent."

Offline manfred

• Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
She was elegant-looking, though there was something about her... she had the air of a bad investment. Frederic D. Brandford smiled - he was a bad investment himself now. Anyway, whether you give someone credit is not a question of the person being decent, and she looked decent enough. Henry could use some example of being a gentleman.

"An accent is of little importance, but I have to admit I know very little of that land. I hope we can hear more during the dinner."

This could develop into an interesting journey, with all passangers having a past of their own. One could imagine a crime story full of intrigue to happen on a ship like this... but well, boredom is infinitely more probable here. In a few days everyone will long for the dry land again.

"But I think there is still an hour or two until that time. May I suggest that we take a closer look at our ship? Unless of course you have different plans of course, we could deposit our luggage, and then inspect our temporary home."

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 08:50:58 AM »
One of the downsides to traveling on a ship like the Dragon Empress was there was no expense spared for little things like porters, meaning that the passengers were responcible for finding their own way to their cabins and for their own luggage. Zimmerman eagerly shakes Brandford's hand, as if he can all but sense the imminent domain of finance that he was versed in, but was oblivious to the fact that he was not traveling in first class comfort.

"Brandford you say, perhaps we might have tome for a few hands of cards, maybe some brandy and cigars if the ship has them." Peter said, ignoring a minor reproachful look from his missus.

"Don't be such a boor, Peter," his wife said, Henri has just invited us to a dinner date. You will have to forgive my husband, gets a great thrill out of meeting new people. I guess it is part of being a journalist and all."

"Pardon me," a tall man with a rather prominent chin and almost comically large nose bowed his way past, a pair of youths followed behind him carrying a large steamer trunk with them. When the trio reached the boarding area, he paid the boys in folding money and they went off laughing and kicking up their heels, much to the delight of the newfies who wanted to go and play with tthe bows too. Peter all but dislocated his left shoulder in an attempt to keep Ajax and Goliath from chasing after the kids.

"I would hardly say writing an opinion column for the Concord Gazette makes me a journalist." Peter said, but obviously proud of his work."

Several more people came along and skirted around the conversational knot and its attendant dogs. Mostly they looked to be from lower class incomes, and one, a painted lady with three kids in tow might as well have written prostitute across her chest.

On the opposite side of the ship the last of the cargo was being loaded, a number of wooden crates marked fragile and handle with care. "This one's leaking something..." One of the sailors said, looking at a strange amber-brown liquid that was seeping from the bottom of a crate.

"I told you blokes to be careful!" Jonny Knuckles, the crew boss shouted, cuffing one of the winch operators as he stormed up to the crate. "The big boss is gonna be peeved about this. Well, no use gawking at it, get this d**n crate loaded and we'll blame it on the trip. You blokes look like you have never seen honey before." he said with a scowl. "Back to work with the rotten lot of you!" he shouted.

A rope gave an ominous creak, and then snapped. The last container of South Carolina textiles dropped like a stone, sending rope lines singing through their blocks as it fell. Two men leapt out of the way, and Knuckles tried, but the large crate, weighing just shy of a ton still hit him. Across the dock, each worker could hear the sick wet crunch of bone as the crate caught him across the thighs...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:09:46 PM by Scrasamax »

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 12:13:58 PM »
Charles Edward had been one of the two men standing beside Knuckles as the rope snapped. Barely dodging the crate, Ed heard the body of the crew boss being crushed. Rising to his feet he absent mindedly rubbed the black beard he had grown since his plunge in social status.  It served him well as a mask of sorts, and he sincerely doubted that any of his old acquaintances would even recognize him anymore. Looking down at the arm of Knuckles, he noticed the gaudy gold ring that Knuckles always wore. He had gotten it from a whore in Havana, or so he claimed, and she only gave it to him "because he had won her heart". Whether the unlikely tale of the whore in Havana held any truth was inconsequential now. Knuckles would never love again. Without even hesitating he took it off, put it in his mouth and then swallowed. There would be questions, he was the closest and he would surely be suspected of the theft, but they would never prove it and Ed already plotted how to put one of the new sailors in the line of fire.

As the other sailors closed in he heard the new crew members gasp and the older ones swear. One of the sailors was an old friend and Ed noticed tears in his eyes and a quiver in his voice. Ed himself felt strangely calm, most unlike the first time he witnessed an accident on the ship. Two years ago he had been scraping rust of the hull while the ship was dry docked, and the sailor he had been working with had neglected to tie a rope around his waist. The plank they stood on was old and broke, sending the other sailor plummeting towards the quay. "The wee girls and Ed cried that night" the other sailors had joked for months afterwards. Not so anymore. The Empress had changed him as it changed everyone.

As the crew members gathered around the crate and the broken body of the crew boss, no one noticed Ed slipping away to another part of the ship where there was work to be done.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 01:19:59 AM »
Ellie jumped as a loud thumping noise echoed across the deck.  Calm down, girl.  A crate or something just fell, that's all.  It's a common occurrance.  Nothing that you need to be scared of, she sternly scolded herself.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »
Saisong was livid as he surveyed the scene. Thankfully the guests and the port authority were unabel to see the accident for the bulk of the Empress. The crate itself was largely undamaged, a few minutes with a hammer could put the loose boards back in place. The loss of Knuckles was not such a blow, new bosses could be found, Saisong looked at the men gathered around, his face a dour mask of annoyance and hostility. "You should be glad crate no broken, otherwise come out of pay." He said.

He turned to his second, the half-asian Abelard who had been previously ordered guests to get aboard and to carry their own luggage. The man stood by, looking out over the water to where the sun was well above the horizon. "Ab-lard, see to the dispensations for his next of kin." Saisong said suppressing a grin, Knuckles had been a bachelor and had no kin to speak of, and after this voyage, he would have qualified for a substancial performance bonus, $2500. More money in the bank.

"Now, clean up, back to work!" Saisong shouted.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »
"Well, I will take that as a sign that we should hurry up," Peter said, letting the dogs lead the way up the gangway of the Dragon Empress. The wooden ramped swayed slightly, but stayed in place long enough for him and his hounds to board. The loose-lipped Estelle trailed behind him, her handbag and parasol clutchefd in her small hands.

The rest of the passengers were boarding the ship as well. The insides of the ship were in better repair than the outside. The interior walls had fresh paint and there was even a red rug that ran along the deck of the ship. The workers on board seemed to have all but finished loading the ship and it would not be long before the harbormaster cleared her to steam for Amsterdam.

Ah, that decadent city across the pond. Absinthe and opium seemed to go hand in hand, along with sweaty lovers and no questions asked. The waters that lapped those sodden shores seemed to be well distant from the lonesome and cold waters of Boston Harbor with its cold eyed cod and bristle-quill lobsters. Away from America, away from the New World and back to the old...

Within the hour the boilers were stoked and with a creak the engines were engaged. With a reverberating sound the Dragon Empress pulled out of the pier, pushing up a great boil of harbor water as she lumbered ahead. Ever wary of the good impression, Saisong stood on the open deck, sipping a bone china cup of tea as Abelard handled the helm of the ship.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 12:37:48 AM »
Ellie chatted with Estelle a bit more, filing away any information about the woman that could be potentially useful, then stowed her case in her cabin.  It was really all she had; the rest of her belongings would be shipped to her later when she both had a place to stay and could afford it.  Then she went out on deck and strolled around, watching the sea. 

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 07:09:32 AM »
For his part, Frederic withdrew into his cabin, but found no entertainment with the poor furnishing of the room. Attempting to piece together an entry into his diary, he tore out another paper and returned to the deck. It is still fine. No problem at all. thought he all wide-eyed. A bit of small-talk will do good. So... where are my new companions?

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 07:16:42 AM »
"My," the painted lady said, bumping into Brandford as he left his cabin. "Please excuse me sir." She said with a questionable amount of sincerity. "My name is Lutetia and please forgive me, Im was in a hurry..."

"Lovely day for a trip, eh?" Saisong asked Ellie, tea cup and saucer still very much in hand.

Offline manfred

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 09:24:26 AM »
*The banker accepted the apology with a minimal nod, continued for a few steps, then got more attentive, quickly searched himself and with a sigh of relief continued his walk.*

"This ship is full of interesting people..." he mumbled and warned himself to be more careful.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 09:32:49 AM »
Henri spent the first few hours exploring the ship, noting and memorizing as many passenger faces as possible. He had a penchant for instant recall, crucial in his line of "work", and these cursory glances might pay dividends later he thought. For some reason, he felt distracted by the face of one particular person, as he strolled the deck. The one called Abelard. He didnt know why, as he was quite sure he had never seen him before. But there was something about the man's mongrel features and cold steely eyes, which had unnerved Henri from the moment he first saw him. The feeling still remained, many hours later.

*Grab a hold of yourself Pinky* He chastised himself, and attempted to focus on more important matters. He ran through the list of "to-do's" in his mind. He would have to re-acquaint himself with that Ellie lady. *Perhaps....hmm...yes well, we shall see what we shall see*. He would have to sidle up to Estelle Zimmerman as well during dinner service, since her starchy-shirt-of-a-husband seemed to prefer Mr. Brandford's company. There was talk of cards too. That finally brought a smile to Henri's face. *Easy Pickins!*

Suddenly Henri lurched from a sharp pain in his thigh. Reaching for the area through his pocket he was shocked to discover that his lucky Ibex horn-tip, had somehow stabbed his leg, and was now embedded inch deep. With a grimace, and another bolt of pain, he pulled the horn out of the fleshy area of his thigh  and brought it in front of his face, staring at the now bloody fetish with a look of utter confusion. *what just happened!?* The horn-tip did not supply any answers and for a moment Henri thought of tossing the the d**n thing overboard. That thought only lasted a second. He squeezed it in his fist instead, and slowly proceeded to return to his cabin, still confused and addled, by the bizarre experience.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:38:49 AM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 03:44:51 PM »
Charles Edward sat in the lower crew cabin, handling the revolver he got from his father on his eighteenth birthday. The barrel was empty and Ed let his eyes slide over to the case with 12 golden bullets within, also a gift from his father. "Sometimes you got to finish people off financially or careerwise, and when you do so, do it with style and dignity. Let their demise be wrapped in a package so sweet it almost seems like a gift, at least until they realize the full extent of your words" his father had said, and the revolver with golden bullets would symbolize that dubious gift.

In the end you got served a golden bullet of your own, did you not father?

Ed rose from the chair, walked over to his seaman's chest and put the revolver back. This time of the day was the only in which he was alone in the cabin, the rest of his cabin mates were on day shift in the engine. He picked up a thick envelope with several dollars and retrieved one, then he closed the chest and exited the cabin.

The sea gulls circled the ship and the wind buffeted his hair. The Empress was underway to Amsterdam. With a smile Ed started walking up to the upper deck.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:09:41 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 01:05:29 AM »
(OOC: Just so you know, you don't know my char's name is Ellie, Muro, the same way I don't know your name is Pinky.   :lol: )

Ellie nodded pleasantly at Saisong.  "Indeed."  She stood there a moment more, then made her way across the deck.  She saw one of her fellow passengers, that Lamorak fellow.  Might be a good idea to chat with him a little more...  She caught up with him.  "I am so glad we are finally underway..." she started, then stopped as she noticed something.  "Why, Monsieur Lamorak, you are limping.  Are you quite all right?"

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 12:07:32 PM »
The upper deck was a bit crowded as many of the guests, a rather rough and tumble looking lot, had had similar ideas of watching Boston Harbor shrink behind them and the land be swallowed up by the ocean. Perhaps they would see their dismal luck and cruel fates swallowed in a similar Atlantean manner, leaving them purified for the new begining in the Old World.

One Peter Zimmerman was wandering about, thankfully without his dogs. He was dumbfounded by the ship's service store baing completely out of cards, though the ship's cooking staff didnt have any problem with supplying him with scraps for his dogs, or a suitable dinner for hiw wife and their guests. "Pardon me," Peter said, encountering one of the ship's crewmen, "I was wondering if perchance you would know where I could get a deck of playing cards?" He asked the sailor.

Further down the walkway, one paitned lady, Lutetia leaned against the rail and watched the water as she ship cut through it.